shape
carat
color
clarity

Deciding between hand-forged and CAD

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lb, what is your budget? For a simple, no diamonds, plain platinum setting, it may not be as much as you think for a hand forged piece. Did you call or email Victor, or any of the other vendors that do hand forged work for a quote/discussion? Victor is super nice on the phone too and will chat with you. (Of course, it's only worth it certain aspects of your ring are really important to you. I only discovered what was important to me after I got some ugly looking prongs, and it bothered me CONSTANTLY.) Everyone is different.

And sorry, I don't know the answer to your question about why

lb0424 said:
I LOVE the claws being so delicate and finely made that they just blend in with the diamond. So are delicate prongs only doable on hand-forged metal because of its durability or are they solely dependent on the jeweler supreme capability to finish off the prongs that way and achievable on CAD/cast metal rings?

@LLJsmom - your Victor Canera setting is so lovely and I wished I had that kind of budget!
Thank you.

Maybe it is possible with cast rings. I think that ERD/BE does both. See this thread. I don't know which are cast and which hand forged.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-erd-brilliantly-engaged-thread.192763/ You could click into the details of each ring and see. Some of the claw prongs here are very sharp and delicate as well.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lb0424|1435154602|3893480 said:
To summarize the discussion a bit:

Hand-forged advantages:
A) Stronger durability - in this aspect, Victor and I may see things a bit differently- Hand forged allows smaller parts due to the greater density and integrity of the metal. Cast parts are generally heavier- which can be a greater factor in some cases- In other words, a heavier cast ring can take more punishment than a more delicate hand forged model
B) More intricate fine details - filigree (a photo posted by Victor)

CAD/cast advantages:
A) More control over design
B) "Friendly" pricing due to less labor work
C) Better at curvy angles This aspect really depends on the type of curves. Hand forged is cleaner on inside curves

Pave work can be equally delicate and beautiful on hand-forged versus casted metals depending on the craftsman given that the casted piece does not have "pre-pave" holes for the diamonds. pave work is generally more delicate on hand forged rings. Cast pieces can have very nice pave work- but in general, hand forged is more delicate ( and beautiful if one loves the delicate look)

Is there any advantages/disadvantages that I missed? Most importantly, how can one tell between a hand-forged versus casted metal piece if it is a simple Tiffiany-like six prong setting with no pave or detailed work?

Thanks!

lb0424

Rough_Rock
LLJsmom|1435174982|3893704 said:
lb, what is your budget? For a simple, no diamonds, plain platinum setting, it may not be as much as you think for a hand forged piece. Did you call or email Victor, or any of the other vendors that do hand forged work for a quote/discussion? Victor is super nice on the phone too and will chat with you. (Of course, it's only worth it certain aspects of your ring are really important to you. I only discovered what was important to me after I got some ugly looking prongs, and it bothered me CONSTANTLY.) Everyone is different.

My budget is around the price for a Vatche Classic Six Prong Engagement Ring Style U-113. Hopefully someone can point out whether there is an advantage to go for a hand-forged settings in this style? I haven't contacted the vendors you suggested as I think they would be beyond my budget. I wonder if a simple setting as such (without pave) would need to go the hand-forged route to get a more sharper, delicate looking claw prongs, thus the question below.

lb0424 said:
I LOVE the claws being so delicate and finely made that they just blend in with the diamond. So are delicate prongs only doable on hand-forged metal because of its durability or are they solely dependent on the jeweler supreme capability to finish off the prongs that way and achievable on CAD/cast metal rings?

Thanks LLJsmom for your suggestions of vendors! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results