shape
carat
color
clarity

DANIEL K CUSHION???!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reena

Ideal_Rock
ohhhh man. you do so well at finding the good ones! and Ex/Ex on a cushion--so rare!
love.gif
that one's too much?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/17/2004 11:17:37 AM moremoremore wrote:

Here is another one like it....
----------------

This BN cushion came with a surprise: there are quite a few with GIA finish grades like that at BN. Actually, it looks like the majority of their cusion cuts labeled "very good cut" are GIA Ex-Ex and have desirable table & depth combinations. Some stones labeled just "good cut" sound just as good, actually. Of course, you cannot see what these guys look like at BN
11.gif

Anyway, I just wanted to show you one intriguing GIA plot. You did go from princess to cushion cut MMM, right ? Well, to fit the plot below remotely, a diamond should 'somehow' be both!
naughty.gif

No idea how would that happen!

Prusion.JPG

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/17/2004 2:54:32 PM valeria101 wrote:

Anyway, I just wanted to show you one intriguing GIA plot. You did go from princess to cushion cut MMM, right ? Well, to fit the plot below remotely, a diamond should 'somehow' be both!
naughty.gif

No idea how would that happen!
----------------

Could this be the plot pattern of a Cushette?
cushettecut1.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yes Ana and Kat...I wonder!!! I saw one like that on blue nile...probably the same one? It was very confusing. I wonder if it could actually be a cushette? INTERESTING!!!! It's funny how there are so many diff facet patterns. I think I'll prefer the 8 ray.

I have recently discovered that blue nile has quite a bit of amazing stones that don't show up when you do a price scope search (aren't they a p.s. vendor? e/t they have no real presence here).... And almost every stone has a cert online.

I also think that it's very cool that GOG can get basically any stone I see anywhere on the net (and I'm sure other ps vendors can too). And certainly cheaper than blue nile. A lot of us think that the p.s. vendors are limited to their own stock...but they can get anything. Jonathan even gets me sarin info before we call it in.

Hey Reena- ex/ex may be rare...BUT there is NO denying that your stone is AMAZING. It's not just about polish/symm!!!
1.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
thanks MMM!
12.gif
you're like my personal self-esteem coach. (god knows i need one right now.)
12.gif
9.gif

but yes i am very happy with my EX/VG.
9.gif

that cushette is cool-looking.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh shoot. I forgot yours was EX/VG- same thing. You've got one too!!!
1.gif
(at a fantastic price I might add)!

reena

Ideal_Rock
nah, it's really the symmetry that's tough to find the EX on, i noticed. but the VG is just dandy too. bluenile does seem to have a TON of the EX/EX though!!! never realized they have sooooo many cushions.

are you really going to have to sweat it out on the hong kon cushion until TUESDAY???

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yup. But I got a good email from J that makes me feel better. He's made his claim on the stone!!
1.gif
After all this fuss I'm making, I better love it
1.gif

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone --

I love those daniel k's you've been posting! Speaking of drool worthy cushions, here is one of my favorites, from a william goldberg pair of earings... This is exactly what I am looking for... but cannot find. It's modern but still old looking.

BTW, I decided to send the other diamond I had back. Thanks everyone for your help with the decision. I realized that I was trying to convince myself that I liked it, even though my gut was telling me it wasn't the right stone for me. The shallow crown and the way it looked in most lights just were not speaking to me... Sad sad day, though, sending back a diamond.
sad.gif

MMM, does it get easier by diamond 4?
2.gif

The search continues...

goldberg.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, BN definitely has lots of stones on virtual display. But only those in their "signature colection" can actually be seen. And even those not too well - the only images are on GCAL reports
sad.gif
This, for a 30% premium on their signature... Even worse, they call fine OMCs and old-style steps (deep&small tabled ones) "fair" cut
eek.gif
Oh well...

It sounds funny to call BN "PS vendor" - it is a huge company after all and the average PS deal takes too much time for them
2.gif
What was it? a few months of searching, weeks of back and forth with the seller and about four hours over the counter
9.gif

When BN listings first appeared on the database I thought they were buying PS out!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
oh boy cushion cut. I have to tell you that you made the right decision because you knew in your gutt it wasn't right for you. I'm sure you will find one you love. I think you are really after a well cut old mine cut, no? You CAN find one!!!

reena

Ideal_Rock
appl.gif
i agree, CC. i could tell that your heart wasn't in it. good for you. (for the record, tho, the diamond was beautiful!)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Well.....how about this cushioncut?

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=2267621&ref=PS622

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the support MMM! I know I'll find something I love, and I feel good about the decision to send the other one back. There is no reason to settle when it comes to diamonds. I just have to be patient
sad.gif

We are also looking into old cushions... But there are cushions being cut today with that have this old look, and also have some of the modern sparkle. I've seen some -- (of course never any with the right price, or specs, or shape...)

I think we will turn something up soon. The last one was pretty close to what I want, so that's encouraging...

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/17/2004 6:12:01 PM moremoremore wrote:

Well.....how about this cushioncut?

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=2267621&ref=PS622----------------

Funny! We have looked into that one! I have the GIA, it looks promising, we may call it in. I do have a feeling it sold though. I don't think DCD updates their lists as often as some other places that had it listed, and now don't.

On the GIA it's an "eigh star plot" -- I do think there has to be something to the plot theory we both came up with. Why would the GIA choose the plots randomly?

The ones I've seen that have the look I like have all have the four star plot... I think the next one I call in will be a four star, even if my theory is crap
1.gif

BTW -- we are looking for something in the 2 ct range, ideally -- if you've seen any others that look good. (We could go a bit lower or higher.)

Thanks again for the link!

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/17/2004 6:06:56 PM reena wrote:

appl.gif
i agree, CC. i could tell that your heart wasn't in it. good for you. (for the record, tho, the diamond was beautiful!)
----------------

Thanks Reena! Your, "If you're not thrilled now, you never will be..." really helped. It's true. No reason to go with a stone I had so many doubts about.

It was very pretty, but not my dream stone...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/17/2004 6:24:21 PM cushioncut wrote:

On the GIA it's an 'eigh star plot' -- I do think there has to be something to the plot theory we both came up with. Why would the GIA choose the plots randomly?

The ones I've seen that have the look I like have all have the four star plot... I think the next one I call in will be a four star.

----------------

No, they do not choose those plots randomly, but the match between plot and stone is not great at all. So you may miss some good ones if going for the plot. But since there are so few images onlyne and few stones labeled 'old mine' this is as good a guess as they get.

The catch here may be that just about every note one may expect on the GIA report of an OMC could also be faults of cuting on whatever modern cut model: large culet, steep crown (GIA gives a note on the plot for those over 40 degrees).

Unfortunately, I do not know if there is any better receipe to "guess" OMCs on GIA plots this. You may end up calling in all the odd bits in a shop before nailing the proverbial needle.
sad.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
keep in mind that there are two diff types of the eight ray. I like the 8 ray of the round...while the other eight ray is a little chunkier and two of the 8 are in the center of the stone horizontally. Look at the blue nile cert I posted earlier...compare it side by side to the other 8 ray!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Raatttsss. I can't get the pix to load. But if you go on nice ice, they have two beautiful cushions. Check out the different facet patterns, tho both 8. I am partial to the one that looks more like a round. At D.T. there is a post by DBOF in their vendor section that has a pic and a post about the "modern brilliant cushions" as they call them. That has facets that look to be placed like the round and are more elongated and thinner.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Here is a 2 carat G (vvs2 tho) with what I call a more "traditional" plot...although I have NO idea what I'm talking about and as ana said, the plot really isn't 100% accurate!!!!

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00201880

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh well, hunting certs does not work for me - I am too pessimistic in nature
2.gif

But I still came up with one I would call in : THIS. Looks like a clean F/SI1, probably an old cut (given the note on finish details), small table & high crown (17% is definitely more than an RBC's) and reasonable depth look good. The price looks good to me too btw.

There were two more on BN with no GIA charts listed that made me think "OMC-OMG!" but the details look not so encouraging (as in "strong blue fluorescence" and large culet&54% depth!)

Then, THIS might be the same IceStore recommended. A few more sellers list the same.

Does anyone else like rose cuts (smaller round stone in the earring above) ?The respective setting is definitely my love and joy
1.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
MMM--nice new avatar! i almost didn't recognize you.
naughty.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Well????????????????
confused.gif

The suspense is killing me.
14.gif
errrr.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I put a call into GOG this afternoon...so maybe we'll know more later!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MMM,
Any news on this globe trotting cushion? With all these talk and speculation flying around, I am really interested in looking at this cushion now. It had better be a screamer with all this hulabaloo.
naughty.gif
11.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL Chrono!!! Don't say it!!! J would KILL me if it's a dud after all of this
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoops. I forgot all about the jinx.
6.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL...no worries. Although I haven't heard from GOG yet...HINT HINT J.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results