shape
carat
color
clarity

Daily Deals

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 10:07:35 PM
Author: Skippy123
Here is a neck shot (Starshine) of both Freshadamas and AAA''s, thank you for your sweet words szho7, Kelli, Starshine, and Browneyedgirl.
35.gif

Thank you, Skippy! Those are so lovely!!
30.gif
I''m sure your mom is LOVING them!

Now I''m wanting the gray ones as well... MUST. CONTROL. SELF.
6.gif

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 8:47:47 AM

Date: 6/18/2009 2:18:16 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Ok I have a dilemma. I have several things I want to buy but can''t buy all of them. So help me pick. currently in my cart are:

1) 7.5-8 mm golden akoya necklace AA+ $410
2) 8.5 mm AAA gray freshwater studs $38
3) 8.5 mm AAA gray freshwater necklace $190
4) 8.5-9 mm white freshwater necklace - gem quality, $350

So it''s really a toss-up between 1 and 4.
I would get no. 4!!!!
3.gif
The golden akoyas are dyed. I don''t know if that will affect your decision.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 8:55:55 AM
Author: jmtomaui
Those strands are beautiful on you! Do you / would you ever consider wearing them together? In the past, Coco Chanel and others would wear multiple strands of different sizes, lengths, and colors and it always looked great! I would like to do that as well if the ocassion called for it... I like how the 2 strands look on you. The slightly smaller whites and the larger grays work very well together!

Julie

ETA - Sorry Skippy, I just realized the grays belong to your mom so obviously you don''t wear them together... Does anyone else combine multiple strands?

Julie,

I sometimes wear my white pearls with a necklace of black beads. I always get compliments when I do.

I don''t know much about the pearls--they were a birthday present from my Dad when I turned 21 a zillion years ago, and I think they''re about 6.5 mm. They have nice luster and are very round, with a bunch of blemishes. I assume they''re akoyas. The black beads were my great aunt''s. They''re "french jet"--glass imitating jet--strung on a chain, probably from the 1890s. The surface is matte. The french jet necklace is graduated and the pearls aren''t, but that isn''t very noticeable. They look very striking with a black suit. I would like to get a strand of nice graduated white pearls and see how that looks with the french jet necklace.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 12:27:16 PM
Author: brightlight

Date: 6/18/2009 12:01:29 PM
Author: glitterata
Thanks, everyone! I missed the 6mm multicolor strand. Considering the gray freshwaters, though...
there are more 6 mm multicolors available now.
Drats! I go to thinking of those last night, and how I''d scoop them up today since the price was so low. But now they''re all gone again and I missed out. Boo!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 8:55:55 AM
Author: jmtomaui

Skippy, you have nothing to be sorry about as you did not threadjack... This is the perfect place to show and tell about what we find (good and bad) on TPO!

Those strands are beautiful on you! Do you / would you ever consider wearing them together? In the past, Coco Chanel and others would wear multiple strands of different sizes, lengths, and colors and it always looked great! I would like to do that as well if the ocassion called for it... I like how the 2 strands look on you. The slightly smaller whites and the larger grays work very well together!

Julie

ETA - Sorry Skippy, I just realized the grays belong to your mom so obviously you don't wear them together... Does anyone else combine multiple strands?
Oh that is funny you say that!!! I went to look at them while visiting my parents and put both on! My mom thought they looked stunning together and I have such a sweet mom, she looked at me and told me to keep them (no way would I let that happen, never I bought them for her). I told her I would mind borrowing them though. hehe
31.gif
9.gif

Bebe, thanks!!!!

Starshine, thanks!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 11:42:44 AM
Author: Kelli

Thanks, everyone! I missed the 6mm multicolor strand. Considering the gray freshwaters, though...
Drats! I go to thinking of those last night, and how I''d scoop them up today since the price was so low. But now they''re all gone again and I missed out. Boo!!
Oh no, sorry Kelli; you should check back later; sometimes they get more in.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 11:42:44 AM

They sold out so quickly that I have a feeling that you''ll get another chance to scoop them up!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
black tahitian studs.... yum ladies better buy those suckers UP!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
that is an excellent price for those tahitian studs.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
So I got my lavender "gem grade" freshwaters today and I have mixed feelings. Part of me loves them because this is my first strand of pearls ever and at a glance they''re pretty. But then another part of me thinks gem-grade my @$$!! I thought gem-grade meant that the surfaces of the pearls were supposed to be just about immaculate, and the three different pairs of Freshadama studs I''ve ordered as gifts have been. But these have flaws that are very easy to find, and MANY of the pearls are out of round. I don''t get it.
33.gif
I can''t post pics right now because I don''t have my laptop with me, but maybe Sunday or Monday I''ll show you what I mean. I don''t want to complain too much, since they were half the original price, but I can''t help feeling a little ripped since the flaws are so easy to find. There''s a re-stocking fee too. I wonder if I am being too picky? They really are still pretty, they just don''t compare at all to the freshadamas.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I also just remembered... I went trying on pearls one day at Mayors, and saw flaws in the Mikimotos they had. They flaws I saw there were pretty comparable to what I see in these. I thought Mikimotos were supposed to be the best of the best as well. Are my eyes too good?

I keep looking at them, they really are so pretty, even with the small indentions. I don''t know that I could send them back.

One more thing... maybe I should have started my own thread here, I didn''t realize I was going to ramble this much. Brightlight--- you were right! I do think this necklace would look better on me if it were a bit shorter. I don''t know why I didn''t realize that with the Mikimoto one. Or maybe it wasn''t really 18". I''m wondering if it''s possible to have a local jeweler shorten it a bit for me. I don''t know why, but I find it such a hassle to ship things back and forth. If a local guy could take an inch or two off for me, that would be nice. Or maybe I''ll just leave it and stop obsessing!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 12:45:12 AM
So I got my lavender ''gem grade'' freshwaters today and I have mixed feelings. Part of me loves them because this is my first strand of pearls ever and at a glance they''re pretty. But then another part of me thinks gem-grade my @$$!! I thought gem-grade meant that the surfaces of the pearls were supposed to be just about immaculate, and the three different pairs of Freshadama studs I''ve ordered as gifts have been. But these have flaws that are very easy to find, and MANY of the pearls are out of round. I don''t get it.
33.gif
I can''t post pics right now because I don''t have my laptop with me, but maybe Sunday or Monday I''ll show you what I mean. I don''t want to complain too much, since they were half the original price, but I can''t help feeling a little ripped since the flaws are so easy to find. There''s a re-stocking fee too. I wonder if I am being too picky? They really are still pretty, they just don''t compare at all to the freshadamas.
Hmmn...I kind of thought/assumed the gem grade was close or really comparable to Freshadama, but I guess not..? That is so sad to hear! I don''t think you are being too picky, I read their grading criteria for gem grade, and I thought they were supposed to be individually selected, etc. How much is the restocking fee? Plus postage to go back too..

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 12:45:12 AM
So I got my lavender 'gem grade' freshwaters today and I have mixed feelings. Part of me loves them because this is my first strand of pearls ever and at a glance they're pretty. But then another part of me thinks gem-grade my @$$!! I thought gem-grade meant that the surfaces of the pearls were supposed to be just about immaculate, and the three different pairs of Freshadama studs I've ordered as gifts have been. But these have flaws that are very easy to find, and MANY of the pearls are out of round. I don't get it.
33.gif
I can't post pics right now because I don't have my laptop with me, but maybe Sunday or Monday I'll show you what I mean. I don't want to complain too much, since they were half the original price, but I can't help feeling a little ripped since the flaws are so easy to find. There's a re-stocking fee too. I wonder if I am being too picky? They really are still pretty, they just don't compare at all to the freshadamas.
I think I posted this in the Gem/Presidential/Freshadama thread, but I had a similar experience with Freshadama earrings. I ordered loose freshadamas and had earrings made. The pearls had many more flaws than any AAA pearls I've purchased.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Weird. Maybe I''ll just try AAA next time.

starshine

Shiny_Rock
I received my graduated lavenders yesterday also and I have mixed feelings as well. Mine appear pretty round and clean. The color is a very pretty pinkish/purple and well matched, except for one that is very bluish/purple...which to me throws the focus off the larger center pearl. The graduation towards the center pearl looks a little off as well. I will try to post some pics. Maybe I''m imagining things!

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Kelli and Starshine, I am so sorry you both have hesitations about your strands! That is sad to hear... Unfortunately, while pearls do have a fairly strict grading standard, they are not like diamonds where there can be a more mathamatical formula attached to the grades. Pearls can''t be measured in the same way and are done primarily visually.

Kelli, as far as shortening the strand, a jeweler - if you can find one to do it - will charge you for the service. It is not like a chain that is relatively easy to size. The pearls would all need to be cut apart and restrung from scratch. There is no way that I know of to untie the knots at the end to simply remove the last few pearls on each side. There would also be the issue on not enough silk left to add the clasp back and re-knot the silk. I wish we were "neighbors" as I would offer to restring them for you if you decide to keep them.

Starshine, I don''t know what your strand looks like but I do know that if I had one that was offcolored like you describe, it would bother me also. It would be the only thing I would see when I looked at it. Being a graduated strand, I don''t know that it could be corrected. If the pearls were all the same size, you could restring it so the offcolored pearl was in the back next to the clasp and hidden from view.

I know TPO does have a restocking fee but has anyone ever asked if they would waive the fee if you were to exchange the strands. They have good customer service so if you could talk to someone about what you wanted in exchange (few flaws, evenly colored, etc) would there be the same fee? It would not be the same as returning it where TPO is losing the full sale. It may be worth a phone call?

I hope you both find satisfying answers to your concerns. They are valid and you deserve to wear something you love! Regardless of the "deal" you got on it.

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Let''s see if I can figure out how to attach a pic!
3.gif

lavender1.JPG

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Do you see the *one*? Is it just me? I feel like that episode of Seinfeld with the cashmere sweater...

lavender3.JPG

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yes, third from the center on the right, right? I''m not sure I would have noticed if you hadn''t pointed it out. But the graduation seems a bit off too, doesn''t it? Two of pearls right around the big, central one look out of order.

Still, it''s very pretty, and I can see the reflection of the camera in the pearls.

Can you post a close up of the surface of the pearls? And maybe a lighter photo with more exposure?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I can see the off-color one too. It does seem to jump out at you a bit. Still, it''s very pretty. In the pics, it looks pretty much identical to mine other than the one pearl. I keep going back and looking at mine and thinking that they ARE actually pearls, not plastic beads from Claires, so maybe it''s just natural that they wouldn''t be absolutely picture perfect. I''m thinking I''m going to keep mine, and just try a different "top of the line" brand next time. I also tried them on with some different tops, and I''ve decided I''m ok with the length. I think they look really good with certain kinds of necklines.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Btw jmtomaui if we were neighbors I''d hire you to make all kinds of things for me! I really want to get around to learning how to string pearls one of these days:)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I see the off color one as well but still think it''s a lovely strand.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
I just got my 9 mm gem freshwaters. I did a quick inspection. Overall, I''m pleased - particularly with the roundness. I''ll post more details later on in the Gem/Pres/Freshadama thread.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 5:42:26 PM
I just got my 9 mm gem freshwaters. I did a quick inspection. Overall, I'm pleased - particularly with the roundness. I'll post more details later on in the Gem/Pres/Freshadama thread.
Yay, I want to see these!!!!
9.gif

Starshine and Kelli, I would call them and tell them how you feel about them; they have been helpful on the phone when I talked to them about your disappointment. I am sorry.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 8:06:48 PM

I just got my 9 mm gem freshwaters. I did a quick inspection. Overall, I''m pleased - particularly with the roundness. I''ll post more details later on in the Gem/Pres/Freshadama thread.
9.gif

Starshine and Kelli, I would call them and tell them how you feel about them; they have been helpful on the phone when I talked to them about your disappointment. I am sorry.
I was thinking about it this morning, and I''m wondering if the items on their sales page are "borderline" pearls. So, the gem quality pearls are the ones that barely qualify as gem quality. Likewise, AAA would be those on the lower end of AAA. Since there''s a range within each grade level, I wonder if they save the top end of the gem quality inventory for customers who pay full price. Maybe that''s why we''re being underwhelmed.

I''m waiting until I have a chance to compare my 9 mm gem freshwaters to my PP AAA pearls before I post a detailed review. Overall, I''m pleased b/c I only paid $350 (compared to $382 for 8-9 mm AAAs at PP). However, I wouldn''t have paid full price for the particular strand I got. It has more surface markings than any of my AAA strands. The luster is NOT that much better than my AAAs, but it is better. The roundness is better than my AAA freshwaters. There''s only one VERY SLIGHTLY off-round pearl.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2009 11:50:53 AM

Date: 6/20/2009 8:06:48 PM

9.gif

I was thinking about it this morning, and I''m wondering if the items on their sales page are ''borderline'' pearls. So, the gem quality pearls are the ones that barely qualify as gem quality. Likewise, AAA would be those on the lower end of AAA. Since there''s a range within each grade level, I wonder if they save the top end of the gem quality inventory for customers who pay full price. Maybe that''s why we''re being underwhelmed.

I''m waiting until I have a chance to compare my 9 mm gem freshwaters to my PP AAA pearls before I post a detailed review. Overall, I''m pleased b/c I only paid $350 (compared to $382 for 8-9 mm AAAs at PP). However, I wouldn''t have paid full price for the particular strand I got. It has more surface markings than any of my AAA strands. The luster is NOT that much better than my AAAs, but it is better. The roundness is better than my AAA freshwaters. There''s only one VERY SLIGHTLY off-round pearl.
I was thinking the same thing, and I can see the logic in it. I''ve decided to keep mine because I love them more each time I look at them, even with the slight imperfections. And from normal viewing distance, I don''t think anyone else will notice.

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the feedback on my strand! I think I''m going to keep them...they ARE very pretty. The more I look at them, the more I love them.
1.gif

Did anyone see today''s daily deal? Natural PINK freshwater strand...
30.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Oh MAN!!! I would LOVE to have those. But I CANNOT spend more money. I may or may not have spent a little moolah at pearl paradise this week...
31.gif
Somebody please tell me to stop! My fiancee''s birthday is in two days and I''ve got NOTHING! (Men are sooooo hard to shop for).

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 1:37:28 PM
Oh MAN!!! I would LOVE to have those. But I CANNOT spend more money. I may or may not have spent a little moolah at pearl paradise this week...
31.gif
Somebody please tell me to stop! My fiancee''s birthday is in two days and I''ve got NOTHING! (Men are sooooo hard to shop for).
Kelli, what is this teaser about??
27.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I got the pink strand! i''ve been wanting one to go with my pink freshadama studs, and when those popped up, and the price was so low, I had to get them!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results