shape
carat
color
clarity

D Color with Strong Fluorescence

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
hi Everyone,
Does anyone here have a D color diamond with strong fluorescence and it does NOT impact the diamond?

I’ve read all the threads and the GIA study they did. I’ve never considered a stone with fluorescence at all before but I did see one that was D with strong fluorescence and it looked beautiful.

I’d like to hear if anyone here has one and what their experience is?

Thank you in advance!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No direct experience with D/SBF (I have a K with MBF), but here’s a thread with a few PS vendors opining on the presence and effects of fluoro:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fluorescence-pros-and-cons.211191/

And another with some good links to peruse:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-got-a-strong-blue-fluorescent-diamond.200698/

I think - as with any diamond, regardless of color - it will depend on that diamond, and if the fluoro creates a hazy/milky appearance in the diamond. If not, I’d imagine it comes down to what you already stated - do you think it is beautiful? Sounds like you do.

The only caveat being that while many PSers are educated on the truths about fluoro, not everyone outside of PS is, and there is still some stigma around it, so just keep that in mind should you ever decide to sell.

Might you link to the diamond so we can see it (assuming you have it on hold)? :twisted2:

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had one - it was beautiful!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I feel that some grain in the stone does make the effect of fluorescence that much more obvious.

IHMO, two faint effects that add up.

Fluorescence with no substantial graining is a faint blue wash in direct sunlight.

IHMO, this is as distracting in diamonds as red fluorescence is in rubies...

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I feel that some grain in the stone does make the effect of fluorescence that much more obvious.

IHMO, two faint effects that add up.

Fluorescence with no substantial graining is a faint blue wash in direct sunlight.

IHMO, this is as distracting in diamonds as red fluorescence is in rubies...

What do you mean by “graining”?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
EA462570-B018-4A8A-BF04-C52F07E012D8.jpeg Also, my round brilliant has no fluorescence and in cloudy or really sunny weather it appears more blue. Why is that? I don’t like that effect.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It is mentioned as a clarity characteristic on GIA reports - it really is haze, sometimes shaped as very thin paralel sheets.

_
about the other point: there are threads about diamonds going dark - a feature of the cut [gottago]

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hi Everyone,
Does anyone here have a D color diamond with strong fluorescence and it does NOT impact the diamond?

I’ve read all the threads and the GIA study they did. I’ve never considered a stone with fluorescence at all before but I did see one that was D with strong fluorescence and it looked beautiful.

I’d like to hear if anyone here has one and what their experience is?

Thank you in advance!

If you read some of the studies you already know that statistically the greater majority (90%+) have shown no negative optical effects.

Here is a latest news post on the issue.

https://www.diamonds.net/News/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=63571&ArticleTitle=Dismantling+the+Fluorescence+Stigma

Now all I can add that before all the grading reports and the certain buying restriction of larger chain stores, strong blue fluorescent diamonds would actually command premiums. They also had a nomenclature for such special diamonds, blue white (Blaw-Weiss) in industry lingo of those times.

The reason for it was they just had a special something that others didn’t have, some used to identify that special something as a unique glow hovering around the diamond.

I personally love and prefer them as well.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
It is mentioned as a clarity characteristic on GIA reports - it really is haze, sometimes shaped as very thin paralel sheets.

_
about the other point: there are threads about diamonds going dark - a feature of the cut [gottago]

Thank you. No graining noted on GIA cert. my current round brilliant is cut amazing and I purchased it being very careful about proportions on crown and angle and depth. It’s triple x and beautiful. However, it seems to do this in certain retail lighting and outdoor direct sunlight.

Reactions: AV_

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting point about graining as it relates to Fluorescence. I’ve mever noticed that one affects the other. But I’ve never specifically tried to correlate the two.
In my experience a strong blue stone can look milky regardless of the clarity- and it can also look amazing in terms of color even if it does have clarity issues.
OP- I’m a lover to Fluorescence in certain high color diamonds.
As @the_mother_thing points out, the market tends to punish a D color with strong blue. This affects the price should you want to sell it - but equally important- it should make the stone less costly when to purchase as well.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting point about graining as it relates to Fluorescence. I’ve mever noticed that one affects the other. But I’ve never specifically tried to correlate the two.
In my experience a strong blue stone can look milky regardless of the clarity- and it can also look amazing in terms of color even if it does have clarity issues.
OP- I’m a lover to Fluorescence in certain high color diamonds.
As @the_mother_thing points out, the market tends to punish a D color with strong blue. This affects the price should you want to sell it - but equally important- it should make the stone less costly when to purchase as well.

Yes, you’re right about the stigma of fluorescence. I will have to wait to see photos and videos in direct sunlight. Thank you for your help!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
If you read some of the studies you already know that statistically the greater majority (90%+) have shown no negative optical effects.

Here is a latest news post on the issue.

https://www.diamonds.net/News/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=63571&ArticleTitle=Dismantling+the+Fluorescence+Stigma

Now all I can add that before all the grading reports and the certain buying restriction of larger chain stores, strong blue fluorescent diamonds would actually command premiums. They also had a nomenclature for such special diamonds, blue white (Blaw-Weiss) in industry lingo of those times.

The reason for it was they just had a special something that others didn’t have, some used to identify that special something as a unique glow hovering around the diamond.

I personally love and prefer them as well.

This is a great article. Thank you so much for including the link!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
...the certain buying restriction of larger chain stores, strong blue

...the market tends to punish a D color with strong blue. This affects the price should you want to sell it - but equally important- it should make the stone less costly to purchase as well.

I am happy to see the (very grainy) Fancy White and the strongly fluorescent offered rather than not.
&
Yes, prices are funny - from junk to high heaven on the whites; the fluorescent at least seem to be consistently - wronged.

The haze of fluorescence does not look like haze to me - mostly because it is never dark / shading like fog is; the blue-white wording tells what is.

2c

Last edited:

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did it have a blue cast in sunlight?

Well yes and no - diamonds can reflect the blue sky as well, making stones with no fluor look blue. I would call it a slight blue due to the fluor, if it was there at all. It was crystal clear.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EA462570-B018-4A8A-BF04-C52F07E012D8.jpeg Also, my round brilliant has no fluorescence and in cloudy or really sunny weather it appears more blue. Why is that? I don’t like that effect.

Sky reflection.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The other kind of darkness depends on the cut - WWW It is often noticed. @diagem calls the cure 'play of light'

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thought so. Weird that my smaller diamond never did that but I think the bigger you go, the more you see it.

I was going to say sky reflection on a sunny day, but on a cloudy day, I would suspect it was the fluorescence.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

If it appears blue on a cloudy day ... are you SURE it has no fluorescence? Or is it just the certificate that says none or negligible?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
If it appears blue on a cloudy day ... are you SURE it has no fluorescence? Or is it just the certificate that says none or negligible?
Positive it doesn’t have fluorescence. GIA certified.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Also, when I was in a night club with UV light it did not light up.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Positive it doesn’t have fluorescence. GIA certified.

We have many cases where the GIA certificate says none when in fact there was ... sometimes even significantly.

So ... if it doesn’t glow in night club UV, I would say that’s a much better indicator. Not sure why it would look blue on a cloudy day unless there was something blue around ... were you wearing blue? Something in the background blue? I would guess it was something in the background, then.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so I have videos of the diamond in sunlight, shade and indoor lighting. Looks clear in sunlight and has a violet/blue glow I think? What do you experts think overall?

https://youtu.be/JGpC8Eyq_dg

Looking forward to your opinions.

Thanks!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
My jeweler confirmed no milky/haziness or oiliness in sunlight, just slight blue color.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love fluor, so I think it looks great in that respect. How does it look to YOU? Do YOU like the slight blue glow?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I love fluor, so I think it looks great in that respect. How does it look to YOU? Do YOU like the slight blue glow?
I actually prefer it to how my diamond looks in the sun. My diamond goes dark blue. This one looks more light blue/violet.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so I have videos of the diamond in sunlight, shade and indoor lighting. Looks clear in sunlight and has a violet/blue glow I think? What do you experts think overall?

https://youtu.be/JGpC8Eyq_dg

Looking forward to your opinions.

Thanks!
I personally can't see any blue in those pictures - although one must note that the camera can lie and screens can lie, so it is hard to get exact copies of what one is seeing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results