shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Whiteflash CAD Rendering is Here!!! Thoughts & Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

texirish

Rough_Rock
So after picking out the diamond (0.91ct G/SI2 Whiteflash ACA), also glamor shot:
HardToConcentrate.jpg

(couldn''t help but include it again... love this picture!
1.gif
It''s been my desktop background since they sent it to me!)

I''ve been working on a custom ring with Whiteflash (thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/got-the-diamond-wf-aca-now-time-for-the-custom-ring.135640/) and they sent me the CAD renderings today. Overall I really like how it is looking, but I did have a few comments, which I''ll post below after I upload both images. One major change that was made from the "ring inspiration" was that they didn''t have enough room for a "celtic" style knot in the filigree on the sides, so we went with a more Art Deco style of filigree.

CAD0215101ver1.jpg

texirish

Rough_Rock
2nd CAD image:

CAD0215102ver1.jpg

texirish

Rough_Rock
And then in the email that Whiteflash sent they explained the image looks bulky because there is metal that will be polished off, etc. The ring will also have hand engraving which doesn''t show up on the CAD image. Here were my comments that I sent to the designer so far:

"- I understand I''m looking at a "bulky" version of the ring before it is sanded and polished, but the metal bezel around the diamond still looks a bit big/thick to me... will that be polished down some as well or is that just a product of having a full bezel mount? Or is it similar to your explanation of the prongs, and you''ve got extra metal there?

- The filigree itself looks bulky, but I''m guessing that will be sanded and polished down as well? I also can''t tell if it just looks that way because the ring is enlarged so much, I''m trying to scale it down in my head to be about finger size and imagine what the filigree would look like then. I guess what I''m trying to say is that I definitely like the design, I just want to make sure the finished product will have the delicate antique filigree look, and not a bulky modern look.

- Also obviously the hand work still has to be done, but I just want to be sure that we are going to have the engraving and edging to replace all the "flat shiny" metal. I know we will have engraving on the top and side of shank after the filigree (down 3/4 of the shank), but I also want to make sure there is the edging effect done elsewhere (similar to the edging at the gallery on the blue diamond ring on the "ring inspiration" pic). Amy didn''t want the modern "flat shiny metal", but rather wanted the detail of the handwork, so I''m trying to use my imagination when I look at the CAD rendering, but you can''t read my imagination unless I try to explain it some I guess!"

So my general questions for everyone here at PS are: What do you think of the design so far, and how it looks in CAD? And, what can I expect to look different once it is actually cast/polished etc? If anyone has CAD images and then the actually ring pics to compare that would be really interesting.

Thanks again!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
are you going to milgrain the halo?

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t looked at a pre-polished CAD image before but from what I can tell, it looks AWESOME!
30.gif
30.gif

May I ask what it cost you to have a cad image done?

texirish

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 7:11:06 PM
Author: JulieN
are you going to milgrain the halo?

That''s my intent yes... my gf likes the hand engraving and doesn''t really care for the modern "flat shiny" look.

Do you think the edging on the halo (and rest of ring) will turn out right and look good?

texirish

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 7:11:31 PM
Author: IceExplorer
I haven''t looked at a pre-polished CAD image before but from what I can tell, it looks AWESOME!
30.gif
30.gif

May I ask what it cost you to have a cad image done?

Thanks Ice! As for the cost, for a Whiteflash custom they require a $250 deposit to do the CAD work, but as long as you move forward with the ring the cost of the CAD is applied to the cost of the ring. You would only be out the $250 if you chose to go elsewhere after the CAD was done (or if you completely changed the design and they had to make an entirely new CAD i think).

texirish

Rough_Rock
*shameless bump*

Would really love some feedback on both how the CAD design turned out, and also what differences to expect in the look from this rendering to how it actually turns out IRL. Have to make a decision tomorrow or at the latest Friday to keep it on schedule to be fabricated and ready on time!

Thanks!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has the design come from your gf? I ask because there are a couple things I would think about changing *if* she has not specifically requested the current details. First, I would consider prong set as opposed to bezel set for the center stone. I personally prefer this look for RBs after trying some on in person. It makes for a seamless looks between the diamond and the halo, which is very pretty. Second, I would either not have a split shank ir I would consider setting diamonds on the shanks. I think that split shanks can look overpowering to diamonds that are under 1ct, but if the split shank look is what you are after, then putting diamonds on the shank will make them look more seamless with the halo.

texirish

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 12:26:25 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Has the design come from your gf? I ask because there are a couple things I would think about changing *if* she has not specifically requested the current details. First, I would consider prong set as opposed to bezel set for the center stone. I personally prefer this look for RBs after trying some on in person. It makes for a seamless looks between the diamond and the halo, which is very pretty. Second, I would either not have a split shank ir I would consider setting diamonds on the shanks. I think that split shanks can look overpowering to diamonds that are under 1ct, but if the split shank look is what you are after, then putting diamonds on the shank will make them look more seamless with the halo.

Yes the design essentially came from her. We looked at several pics and compared different aspects, but the basic model that we are working from is a ring she really really liked, I''ve attached the pic of it. She kept going back to it 3 or 4 times. For the prong v bezel setting, I''m with you I actually like the prong setting a little better, but when I asked her specifically about it (and I showed her some pics might have even been the same ones from pearlman''s!
2.gif
) she said that she did like the bezel setting better. As for the diamonds on the shank, she really likes the metal work and hand engraving. She liked the Art Deco style of antique rings, and that is what she wanted, less accent "bling" diamonds as she called it, and more "vintage" hand engraved metal work.

So working within those guidelines from her, this is what I came up with. While I might somewhat prefer the prong setting myself I want to make sure I get what SHE will like!
9.gif
So with all that said, how do you think I''m doing? Thanks for the input!

favorite123456.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Tex, I think it still need *something* along the top to replace the diamonds from the original. The bare metal is a tad masculine-looking so, especially given your GF''s preferences, I''d really suggest some engraving or whatever the WF designers think would work.

texirish

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 12:42:03 AM
Author: Hest88
Tex, I think it still need *something* along the top to replace the diamonds from the original. The bare metal is a tad masculine-looking so, especially given your GF''s preferences, I''d really suggest some engraving or whatever the WF designers think would work.

No worries there, all the bare metal you see in the CAD will be long gone once the engravers get their hands on it! I''ve been told that the engraving, because it is hand work, isn''t on the CAD. So I just have to imagine it... which is a little difficult at times! But definitely, no flat shiny metal, emphasis on the hand craft work!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, sounds like she knows what she wants. Has she ever tried on a ring like these? I ask because things can look very different in photos than in pictures.

If there are no diamonds on the split shanks, only engraving, then I think I would personally make them a little thinner/less wide, angle them a little more so that they meet a little sooner, and lower their heigh/flatten them. Basically overall make the shanks as thin and delicate as possible so that the overall look of the ring will be more delicate. Yes, CADs increase bulk. But what will the finished height and width be for the shanks? I would personally prefer that in a split shank ring the two shanks are no more than about 1.8mm wide and quickly taper in thickness/height to be no more than about 1.8mm thick between the fingers.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does look almost exactly like the inspiration ring though
1.gif

texirish

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 12:47:13 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Ok, sounds like she knows what she wants. Has she ever tried on a ring like these? I ask because things can look very different in photos than in pictures.

If there are no diamonds on the split shanks, only engraving, then I think I would personally make them a little thinner/less wide, angle them a little more so that they meet a little sooner, and lower their heigh/flatten them. Basically overall make the shanks as thin and delicate as possible so that the overall look of the ring will be more delicate. Yes, CADs increase bulk. But what will the finished height and width be for the shanks? I would personally prefer that in a split shank ring the two shanks are no more than about 1.8mm wide and quickly taper in thickness/height to be no more than about 1.8mm thick between the fingers.

That''s the main thing I worry about, because she seems to really like the ring I worked off of, but she hasn''t tried any rings on. I was thinking about the shank width as well if the whole thing seemed too bulky and didn''t know if it was just because of the CAD or not. And I thought of narrowing up the split, but wasn''t sure about that either. So its good to hear some other opinions... just trying to feel it out and try to imagine how the finished product is going to look! Thanks! Any other thoughts from others?!?

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 12:55:46 AM
Author: texirish

That's the main thing I worry about, because she seems to really like the ring I worked off of, but she hasn't tried any rings on. I was thinking about the shank width as well if the whole thing seemed too bulky and didn't know if it was just because of the CAD or not. And I thought of narrowing up the split, but wasn't sure about that either. So its good to hear some other opinions... just trying to feel it out and try to imagine how the finished product is going to look! Thanks! Any other thoughts from others?!?

Here's a big thing I learned from shopping for a wedding dress -- dresses look much different online and on the rack than they do when you try them on! When I first started shopping, I looked at a lot of styles online, and had my heart set on an certain style, and with sleeves -- until I actually went to a bridal boutique and tried them on!! There were dresses that looked amazing in photos, but I hated in person. There were dresses I hated on the hanger, but I they wow'd me when I tried them on. And there were dresses that I adored on the hanger, but hated when I tried them on! And the style I'd gone in convinced that it was the perfect style for me??? I hated it when I tried it on!

I wound up falling in love with a dress in a very different style than I'd originally set out to find...and strapless! Haha, I'd sworn I'd never go strapless, but it looked great on me so what can ya do.
9.gif

Same thing happened with rings. Online, I ADORE Tacori...but in person they are much too bulky and blocky for both my tastes and my fingers.

So, I'd really encourage you to take her around to a couple jewelry stores just to try things on. Call around and see if you can find someplace that carries Beverly K too, you might be able to see your inspiration ring in person.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto tiger.

The design is lovely
1.gif

texirish

Rough_Rock
thanks Tiger and yssie!

She is coming in to town this weekend, so maybe we will sneak off to the store to try on some rings. There is a Spence diamonds near here that has lots to try on, so maybe I''ll give that a shot.

The more I keep looking at the design though the more I''m convinced she will love it once it has all the engraving done... I think it fits her "style" of jewelery that she likes and wears now. But I guess I''m also nervous cause I feel like it needs to be perfect!
23.gif

Thanks for the help! Any other PSer thoughts/opinions?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a pretty ring, but a bit too wide/chunky right now. How wide is the finished ring going to be? It might be hard for her to wear a wedding band.

You did a great job!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would still think about adding the diamonds to the bands. I know she likes the engraving and they will be plenty on the sides of the ring. I think overall the diamonds would really tie in the design with the halo. Would it be too difficult for WF to at least do a cad with the diamonds so you could compare them? doing no diamonds and engraving will change the ring considerably from the one that is her favorite and will give it a completely different look/feel IMO.

going to try some on in person this weekend is a great idea if you can pull it off!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with everything the other women have said! It is a big expense and you want it right. Maybe before your gf comes into town you can scout around to find a place that carries this style or ring? I don't think Spence will. Are you Canadian?? I don't think that company is in the US
4.gif
If I were you I would try to find a high end place that carries designer brands because that will be the closest to the quality you will get from WF. Tacori, Ritani, Beverly K, or even Tiffany's all carry similar style rings.

I loved haloes in pictures but when I tried them on, meh. Didn't like three-stones in pictures, but when I tried it on
30.gif

Anyways, think of all this as part of the fun!

texirish

Rough_Rock
Actually I''m in Houston, Spence bought out the Richie Bros. that was near my house.

Any ideas where I can find some of these high end places? I guess I could go down to the Galleria area (high end mall here in Houston), or I might ask WF what they think about somewhere I can take her to try some rings on!

Of course now I''m nervous because we''ve already spent the $$$ on the CAD design so I hope she finds that she likes the split shank/halo on her finger as much as she liked the pic! Also I''m worried that if we change it up very much its going to throw the timeline off, as I need the ring before March 9th (proposing that weekend!)

But then again, the most important thing is making sure its the right ring and the one she is going to love, right?!?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 12:34:38 PM
Author: texirish
Actually I''m in Houston, Spence bought out the Richie Bros. that was near my house.

Any ideas where I can find some of these high end places? I guess I could go down to the Galleria area (high end mall here in Houston), or I might ask WF what they think about somewhere I can take her to try some rings on!

Of course now I''m nervous because we''ve already spent the $$$ on the CAD design so I hope she finds that she likes the split shank/halo on her finger as much as she liked the pic! Also I''m worried that if we change it up very much its going to throw the timeline off, as I need the ring before March 9th (proposing that weekend!)

But then again, the most important thing is making sure its the right ring and the one she is going to love, right?!?
Just check the internet for jewelers in your area and see what brands they carry. You can call and ask if they have any settings in house that are split shank pave with a halo (they might not know what a halo is so you might need to explain
2.gif
). You can also look for registered beverly K retailers.

I think so. You are spending a few thousand on this ring, most likely, and it is worth making sure it is done right without regrets later on. I actually think that even if you gave the go ahead today it might be pushing it for March 9... custome takes time and you want it done right. Maybe make a backup plan just in case so you are not anxious?

reggie

Rough_Rock
texirish - I tried to find you a thread that showed some before and after pics of a ring. Hopefully this can give you an idea of what a whiteflash cad and final product looked like. This way you can see how the ring looked after it was sanded and polished. Do you think the bulk was reduced a lot from these pics? This could give an idea if you want your ring reduced or expanded in size at all.

Whiteflash CAD

Whiteflash final product

On a side note I think it would be great if pricescope had a sticky thread of a whole bunch of CAD renderings and then the final product next to it. Then anyone contemplating going custom with a vendor who uses cad can get an idea how the finish product really turns out.

If a person is a novice at buying a ring and compound that with going the custom route, I can see how all these unknowns would start to make anyone feel very paranoid about this whole process. Then add the layer of this is all being done on the internet can give that person a perceived notion that there is zero room for error.

I personally really like the ring you have designed. I can envision how the engraving will enhance where in the CAD it is blank. I would just be worried how much of the bulk would really get reduced if that is indeed a concern of yours.

BDG is in Houston and could be an alternative if you get cold feet with Whiteflash. I believe they do custom work with CAD as well.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I think the design is lovely. I too really like engraving- I like the idea of engraving instead of diamonds on the split shank, as long as WF does great engraving of course.

I hope you can find some similar settings for her to test drive. Ditto to everyone who said you simply cannot predict what looks nice on the hand. There is SUCH a difference between what looks nice visually on a 2D computer screen all blown up, and actually in real life on your hand. Heck you can''t even tell sometimes when you''re looking at a real ring in a showcase! I work with antique jewelry and have tried on zillions of styles of rings and still get surprised with what looks great/terrible on my finger. Not to make you nervous or anything!

I know all of us who''ve played with a good deal of jewelry in person have been shocked a couple of times by what works and doesn''t- it really is unpredictable. For example- I always drool over those cool pierced & engraved antique eternity rings when I see them in showcases- but ohmigod they look *so* bad on my hand, I can''t even express how horrible. (I still try them on- every time one comes in I''m all "oooh that one''s so pretty, maybe it''ll be the one that looks good on"- then I try it on and cringe.)

texirish

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 12:49:38 PM
Author: reggie
texirish - I tried to find you a thread that showed some before and after pics of a ring. Hopefully this can give you an idea of what a whiteflash cad and final product looked like. This way you can see how the ring looked after it was sanded and polished. Do you think the bulk was reduced a lot from these pics? This could give an idea if you want your ring reduced or expanded in size at all.

Whiteflash CAD

Whiteflash final product

On a side note I think it would be great if pricescope had a sticky thread of a whole bunch of CAD renderings and then the final product next to it. Then anyone contemplating going custom with a vendor who uses cad can get an idea how the finish product really turns out.

If a person is a novice at buying a ring and compound that with going the custom route, I can see how all these unknowns would start to make anyone feel very paranoid about this whole process. Then add the layer of this is all being done on the internet can give that person a perceived notion that there is zero room for error.

I personally really like the ring you have designed. I can envision how the engraving will enhance where in the CAD it is blank. I would just be worried how much of the bulk would really get reduced if that is indeed a concern of yours.

BDG is in Houston and could be an alternative if you get cold feet with Whiteflash. I believe they do custom work with CAD as well.

THANKS REGGIE! I had the same idea and couldn''t really find anything that had a bunch of comparison photos... so I asked Sheerah at Whiteflash and she couldn''t have been any more helpful! She sent me a bunch of CAD & finished product shots so I could compare them, and I''m definitely happy with my CAD file now. I also got a response from Joe their cad designer and after talking more with Sheerah, I''m more than confident the ring is going to come out perfect.
10.gif
I understand some of the worries about how it will look on her finger, but I''m convinced that the ring is going to come out perfect... she did a good job describing what she liked (and it matches the style of her other jewelery as well) and I know Whiteflash has got the right idea as well. They are even excited to make the ring and they think it is really going to be something special and different... so it was good to hear their opinion as well. So I''m over my nervous moment, and ready to get that ring rolling!!! I''ll definitely post pics once I get them, and we can add them to the "CAD v Finished" thread I''m about to go start!!!

On a side note, I''m sure the other vendors here are great to work with as well, but I''m really really thankful that I lucked into working with Sheerah and Whiteflash, as they have been really awesome and patient with me and all my questions and little worries about everything and I would definitely recommend them to anyone else looking at custom diamond jewelery!!!

Now off to make the other thread and upload lots of photos... I''ll post a link once its done...

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s lovely. The engraving will be stunning and I''d just ask WF to make the split shanks each a little more delicate/thin.

Rings do look different when tried on, but it sounds like your GF knows what she wants. I think she''ll love it!

texirish

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 9:27:08 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
I think it''s lovely. The engraving will be stunning and I''d just ask WF to make the split shanks each a little more delicate/thin.

Rings do look different when tried on, but it sounds like your GF knows what she wants. I think she''ll love it!

Thanks Bella!!! After talking with WF some more today I''m confident it is going to turn out the way its in my head, and the shanks/filigree everything will have that more delicate look once it has been sanded/polished down and has been engraved/millgrained.

Additionally they told me they will provide me with a drawing of the "plan" for the engraving after the ring is cast and they are ready to start doing the hand work, so I think that is just one more level of making sure it is done right. I''m very excited!!! And I really do appreciate everyone''s help and opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results