shape
carat
color
clarity

Got the diamond (WF ACA!!!) Now time for the custom ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

texirish

Rough_Rock
I went to Whiteflash's office today and got to look at some really amazing diamonds, and I couldn't be happier with the stone I've picked out http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2231269.htm. Further, I am simply amazed at Whiteflash's customer service and how amazingly helpful they are. Going there today they had three stones pulled for me, the ACA G/SI2, an ACA J/VS2, and an I/SI1. I actually loved all three stones and making a decision was harder than I thought it would be!!! Both Sheerah and Brian were very very helpful and patient with me while I tried to make up my mind. I'll try not to carry on for too long, so I will get to my two favorite parts of the visit before I get to the custom design. First off, when we first got all three stones out I was immediately impressed with how bright they were and how much they sparkled, and this was all while under diffused light, so I knew they were great diamonds. But then they turned on the "jewelry store" LED light and I think my jaw about dropped right off my face I was so impressed. I couldn't believe the fire that just jumped out from the diamond! I don't think I'll ever forget what that felt like, it was very very impressive. Second, like I said the decision was very difficult to make between the three diamonds. I was very impressed with the J/VS2 on how white and bright it looked, but I decided to cut it first as it was virtually the same price as the G/SI2 ACA and all along we wanted to emphasize color over clarity. But it definitely wasn't easy, and I can't believe J's aren't more respected than they are! So that left it up to the G and I... at first I was worried about the SI2 rating, but it was beautiful and I never saw the inclusion that made it SI2 until they pointed it out to me, just right on the girdle it has a bit of a "beauty mark". It will actually be covered up by the full bezel halo, so it was perfect! Although I think I might actually miss it a bit... kind of liked knowing where it was once I did find it, really was like a beauty mark to me. On their website I can't even find it on the 40x pic, but you can just make it out on the Idealscope and ASET images. So with the clarity not being a problem I was all set to get the ACA G/SI2, but the I/SI1 was around $600 less, and was simply spectacular. Both Brian and Sheerah commented on while it wasn't an ACA it was an AGS Ideal and it performed really really well. They also offered me the lifetime trade in policy and all the other bells and whistles that come with the ACA brand if I were to select that diamond. So then it was kinda hard, I felt like I needed a reason to justify the extra for the G. Brian suggested a sort of "blind taste test" and took both stones mixed them and handed them back to me on my fingers to look at and simply pick which diamond I liked more, without knowing which was the G and which was the I. After a bit of thought I finally picked, and it did turn out to be the G! I was very happy, and I felt like it was worth the extra money, and they basically let me sell myself on the diamond I loved, not the other way I around. I would definitely recommend Whiteflash to anyone shopping for a diamond, as the experience with them so far has been great! They also took me a on a tour of their office, and I got to see how they will be creating my ring from inspiration to CAD to mold to engraving, all very cool. So that finally brings me to the next set of questions... what do you think of my custom design idea?
Ring%20Inspiration1234.jpg

I think for the "celtic knot work" in the gallery it might be something like .http://www.trespasser.ca/store/images/KnotWorkSquare2Bead-med-white.jpg

Also, I'm thinking of incorporating a design that my girlfriend drew (our initials) into the hand engraving on the shank, right after the split to kind of bracket the design on either side:
0202002103a.jpg

And finally, I'm leaning towards platinum, but I'm still trying to decide between platinum and white gold... any opinions? Thoughts on the general design? Sorry for being "long winded" but I was just very excited about the diamond I was able to find! Thanks for the help!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
congrats on the stone.

bsar2008

Rough_Rock
Trade
I don''t really know very much about all this yet, but I would say go with platinum because the white gold will have to be re-dipped in rhodium from time to time and I don''t know how all the intricate engravings would hold up under repeated dips - and I''ve read that when platinum scratches, it just displaces the metal rather than loses it. I am seriously contemplating getting my set put into a platinum mounting instead of the 18K white gold it''s in right now for those very reasons.

texirish

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 12:41:13 AM
Author: bsar2008
I don''t really know very much about all this yet, but I would say go with platinum because the white gold will have to be re-dipped in rhodium from time to time and I don''t know how all the intricate engravings would hold up under repeated dips - and I''ve read that when platinum scratches, it just displaces the metal rather than loses it. I am seriously contemplating getting my set put into a platinum mounting instead of the 18K white gold it''s in right now for those very reasons.

That''s what I was thinking as well, with platinum you don''t lose any metal over time... but then I was thinking with the white gold because it is a harder metal, would it hold up longer with the engravings?

Not sure, but I was surprised at how close the two were in cost, only about $550 more for the platinum over the 14k white gold.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 12:41:13 AM
Author: bsar2008

Re-dip is actually an electro-plating process, in the order of micron thickness and usually the previous layer is polish off before a re-dip to clean the surface for a better coating.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on buying the diamond! I can''t wait to see pics.
2.gif

texirish

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 7:10:59 PM
Author: Laila619
Congrats on buying the diamond! I can''t wait to see pics.
2.gif
Thanks! Neither can I! I really love WF''s pics, their photo department does an amazing job... I''ve actually asked them to take a few "glamor" shots of the diamond itself while still loose so we can have them in the future once it has been set. I thought it would be a nice touch for the photo album to go back and look at the process of building the custom ring. Hopefully I''ll have those next week, and I''ll definitely post them!!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
wow, that is going to be a really special ring! FWIW I''d go with platinum.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You picked a great diamond Tex and its going to be a stunning ring!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
gorgeous diamond...I vote platinum on the setting. whatever you choose it''s going to be stunning, I''m sure.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the diamond!!! The ring is gonna be stunning!!! I think you should see which "white" you like. Platinum and white gold have their own pros and cons and they are both beautiful! I find that wg is a bright white while platinum is more grayish, but is the true white metal between the two. Good luck on your setting project!!

texirish

Rough_Rock
Here is the glamor shot Whiteflash sent me today of the diamond I picked out! "Hard to Concentrate" is going to be our wedding song, something that just stuck out for us when it first came out, (YouTube video if you don''t know the song.)

HardToConcentrate.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a beauty!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
wow, that''s a lovely stone! I picked platinum bc I think the engraving work will be gorgeous in it and I love the patina is develops as it ages.

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
The stone is beautiful, the setting is so unique I cant wait to see how it looks! My vote is for the platinum as well!

texirish

Rough_Rock
Thanks yssie, bella, and blue! I''m going to stick with platinum, and I''m very excited to see how it turns out! Now after all the choices comes the really hard part of waiting for the CAD and then the actual ring... but in the end it will definitely be worth it I think!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 7:39:59 PM
Author: texirish
Here is the glamor shot Whiteflash sent me today of the diamond I picked out! ''Hard to Concentrate'' is going to be our wedding song, something that just stuck out for us when it first came out, (YouTube video if you don''t know the song.)
WOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results