shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Setting - Any Input Welcome

InnerLoop

Rough_Rock
Hello all -

I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend soon and am going through the process of designing a custom setting through WhiteFlash. As diamonds and engagement rings are all rather new to me, I'm new to this forum as well. WhiteFlash has provided CAD images for the custom setting I've discussed with them. I have a couple thoughts on what I might change before finalizing, but am hoping to get unbiased opinions from the folks here that have much more experience reviewing CADs and jewelry in general.

As for some background, my girlfriend has 2 main criteria for an engagement ring, or any other jewelry for that matter: (1) preference toward a modern/contemporary design and (2) minimize prongs and angles that might catch on latex gloves (doctor friendly setting).

From past conversations, I know she loves this ring: https://www.catbirdnyc.com/wedding-engagement/engagement-rings/teardrop-diamond-ring.html

She is more drawn to the simplicity (and price point) than the pear/teardrop shape of the diamond. I wanted to incorporate a traditional round cut diamond into a design. To stay doctor friendly, her setting needs to have a full bezel, and I was concerned about light performance with non-round diamonds. I found this example ring that combines both concepts (and had a couple of her best friends verify that she would like the design):

rmjd_principale_12.jpg

I asked WhiteFlash to make it platinum, modernize the band, replace the round cluster with a center diamond, and that we'd make any other adjustments from there. Here's what WhiteFlash came back with:

wf_cad.png

Again, I have a couple small changes in mind, but wanted to solicit feedback from a group much more educated on jewelry and custom designing than I am. Any and all comments are welcome. In particular, is there anything in the CAD that I should worry about translating to a final product? Are there any tweaks that should be made to maximize comfort of wearing the ring? Any faux pas in the design?

Thanks in advance!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be honest... I don't like it. At all. ::)

It looks very heavy, and it doesn't flow nicely like the inspiration ring. Did your girlfriend pick out this design specifically, or has she seen it? There's no way I'd surprise anyone with a design like this. Also, how will a band fit with this?

grateful4life

Shiny_Rock
Even though it is not my taste, I like it an can appreciate it from the inspiration ring (I'd have the edges made more round where the ring touches the finger and also less wide...more dainty like the inspiration ring). In my opinion, with something this non-traditional, I'd think about including her in the process. This is a big investment and something she will wear every day. I hate to have you go through this whole process and not have her 100% happy

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
The original is more dainty and feminine. The custom looks pretty heavy and more masculine. Does your gf's personal style lean more toward one or the other? If it was me, I'd want something like the inspiration ring, not the custom version, however, everyone is different. As long as you're in tune with her personal style, then you know best.

Ditto on making the edges round rather than squared off, if you want a more feminine feel for the ring.

Eta: the amount of metal between the main stone and the cluster of stones is quite large. I think it'd look better if they were a bit closer together.

Another eta: I looked at the link of the piece she loves, that is dainty and feminine. And it's not platinum. I'm wondering if you're taking too much liberty with her preferences? The custom piece has hard edges and a starkness bc of the platinum. It's a very different feeling than the two examples you've provided.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I'm really sorry, but I don't like it either :(

The inspiration ring is really pretty - delicate, feminine, and soft. This iteration doesn't tick any of those boxes, even though the shape is similar.

I find rose cuts very charming, but we can also help you find a well cut pear to use in a ring more like the inspiration ring. Jewels by grace does a nice version of this style. If you want to go with a round brilliant, And she wants platinum (I can't tell if that is your preference or hers) I would go for something more like one of these:

http://www.markpatterson.com/product/wr925p/ But in a brushed finish

But honestly, I'd just get her the original. MAYBE a slightly larger version with a brilliant cut (or vintage cut, that could be really pretty too) pear in brushed platinum, if you think SHE prefers platinum and would want the extra sparkle of a brilliant cut. But if there is a ring you know is her top pick, and it's in budget, I think that is the way to go!

_1226.png

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I am a big fan of WhiteFlash, sometimes their custom settings are hit-and-miss. The one you've posted does look clunky to my eyes.

Not sure what size center stone you're considering, or if you've committed to use only WhiteFlash, but this sleek Sholdt setting has the same flavor of your inspiration ring and will accommodate stones from 0.75ct and upward (and possibly could be customized to fit smaller stones).

sholdt_5600w14-0.jpg

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/e...de-stones/tessa-sholdt-14k-white-gold-5600w14

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm always a big fan of couples designing engagement rings together. A proposal can still be romantic even if she helps you design the ring. It's clear you want her to have a ring she loves, but what if you've missed the mark and she dislikes what you designed? Just something for you to think about.

Another thing I noticed in your post is that you said that you are worried about the performance of non-round diamonds. Non-round cut diamonds still sparkle beautifully.

Also, consider how a wedding band is going to fit with it.

I'll echo the other posters that the CAD needs more grace, more flow, and probably a yellow gold metal as well.

I'm curious what your thoughts on the CAD are?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1466354041|4045660 said:
Although I am a big fan of WhiteFlash, sometimes their custom settings are hit-and-miss. The one you've posted does look clunky to my eyes.

Not sure what size center stone you're considering, or if you've committed to use only WhiteFlash, but this sleek Sholdt setting has the same flavor of your inspiration ring and will accommodate stones from 0.75ct and upward (and possibly could be customized to fit smaller stones).

sholdt_5600w14-0.jpg

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/e...de-stones/tessa-sholdt-14k-white-gold-5600w14

I think this Sholdt is MUCH closer in "feel" to the inspiration ring you posted than the custom you've posted. I agree with others that the appeal of the inspiration ring is how dainty, feminine, etc it looks. And the custom one looks much more hard, masculine, and heavy. I think this Sholdt does a nice job of combining the feminine flow with a more modern look.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1466356270|4045678 said:
marymm|1466354041|4045660 said:

sholdt_5600w14-0.jpg

I think this Sholdt is MUCH closer in "feel" to the inspiration ring you posted than the custom you've posted. I agree with others that the appeal of the inspiration ring is how dainty, feminine, etc it looks. And the custom one looks much more hard, masculine, and heavy. I think this Sholdt does a nice job of combining the feminine flow with a more modern look.

I agree with the other posters... this Scholdt is much closer to the inspiration ring, but still lacks the dainty femininity of the other one. Scholdt seems hard and cold, whereas the other ring is warm with soft, flowing lines. Maybe you could use the style of the Scholdt as a starting point and make the shank much thinner, rounding off the edges as others have suggested.

The most important thing is to know that your FF is 100% on board with this style, bc it's one of those things where you love it or hate it. I'd really hate for you to go through the entire process of custom and her end up not liking it. Is there any way you can find photos of several other similar styles online and ask her which ones she likes better and why?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some more with a similar feel, including the Scholdt setting... Any could be done in another color metal and/or tweaked to her liking...
f86a48249b00debe58c7e655fb23f390.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like WF has done what you asked but I'm another one that doesnt like it at all. I think when you remove the delicate lines
it totally destroys the beauty of the setting. I think you captured the gist of it but it's just not working. Love the Sholdt version
of the ring. Maybe if you took the WF ring and replaced the piece of metal that is inbetween the center and the small diamonds
with more small diamonds (pave) then it may flow nicer. I would also
make sure to tell them that you want a thin to medium size bezel (it looks thick in the CAD but CADs do that to metal.). I would
show them a picture with an example of the thickness you want (like the Sholdt). If you stick with WF I would put something
on the other side of the shank instead of just dropping off. It looks ok in the ring she likes because everything is petite.
With a bigger center stone I think it needs something on the other side but just my opinion. Like see how the shank is on this
setting? You could do that pointed metal look on the plain side of the shank and I think things will flow a little nicer.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/alice-14k-rose-gold-5953r14

Just to throw out another look...this doesnt look as much as your inspiration but it is a pretty setting too with a little bit of
the same lines...
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/lena-14k-yellow-gold-5923y14

Edit...I like that upper left and lower right ones that msop posted too

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I REALLY like the "Alice" that Tyty posted above - maybe in brushed gold. Feels more like the CatBird inspiration to me. The "Lena" looks to me like a big ole eyeball, but that's just me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1466359970|4045704 said:
Here are some more with a similar feel, including the Scholdt setting... Any could be done in another color metal and/or tweaked to her liking...

ohhh, MSOP I really really like the top left one with the swirl. Do you know who makes that one? I think something similar would work great for the OP--it combines the feminine and dainty with the more modern appeal. Especially if it could be made in YG.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs said:
msop04|1466359970|4045704 said:

ohhh, MSOP I really really like the top left one with the swirl. Do you know who makes that one? I think something similar would work great for the OP--it combines the feminine and dainty with the more modern appeal. Especially if it could be made in YG.

That was my pick too!! I'm not sure... I just found it on google images, but I'm gonna try to find out! [emoji1360]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's the Escape, by Mark Schneider. WF used to carry it, but it has been discontinued. MS's site says it is available in 14K for $1966.

de2d8083197c878d99134abb6e04a6d2.jpg

38e2f49e77f17b85b1ec2292aa9d3a28.jpg
038370751af0fbb5e13d21a62ad42d0b.jpg
c68dad04b3ff7894d3ae287a03ba4a73.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some more really pretty Mark Schneider rings. The top L and R show the same ring with the matching band -- very cool. You could have DK make any of these...
edbbff6f193213285c8d3d7a6dcd92e5.jpg

meandmyarrow

Rough_Rock
I have to say, I don't like the custom design at all.

The ring from Catbird is so modern and beautiful. Why not go with something from the same designer? She makes variations of that ring in so many shapes and price points, most available in platinum.

https://gillianconroy.com/collections/engagement-rings

If my boyfriend surprised me with that custom from WhiteFlash or many of the rings suggested in this thread, I'd be very disappointed (I don't want to offend, just being as honest as possible). If you really want to go custom, count me as another vote for involving your gf in the process.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that WF did what you asked but that is a far stretch from the original ring. Please abandon that design. I would use an OEC or an ACA and have it set in a round bezel with a brushed gold setting like she likes!

David Klass can very easily make that kind of ring and has done so before. These are a few of his, but you can have any styles done with the brushed finish, if you want (obviously you don't have to have engraving or diamonds on the shank, etc.). Or you can show the images to WF and see if they can make these styles.

dkbezel.jpg

dkbezel2.jpg

dkbezel3.jpg

InnerLoop

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the input. The feedback I received mostly echoed my concerns, which is that the piece lost its elegance when scaled to accommodate a larger center diamond.

To answer a few of the specific points raised by various posters:
- She likes the simplicity and unique look of the catbird design. It's not the pear diamond shape specifically that appeals.
- Previously, she has mentioned she is completely indifferent toward gold vs. platinum. I chose platinum because her aesthetic preferences typically lean toward straight/clean lines, monochrome or cooler colors (black, white, navy, etc.), chrome/metallic finishes, etc. Most of her existing jewelry collection is also silver as opposed to gold.
- I am concerned about the performance of a non-round diamond specifically within a full bezel setting (not in general) since light can only enter through the top. Perhaps I am off base on this?

I really like the Sholdt and Mark Schneider settings posted. The Schneider setting is remarkably similar to one offered by WF that I considered before beginning the custom setting process, and there's a good chance I would have chosen the Sholdt as an inspiration ring had I found it.

I agree that it's not worth the risk of continuing with the custom design without her involvement. I plan to go with the stock setting I was considering (see below) and will later bring up the possibility of a custom setting if she prefers. I think she will appreciate that I have several ideas for a custom setting even if the execution isn't quite there yet.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...bled-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-4526.htm
simong_3.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow... Those are really similar! However, I feel the lines flow better where the accent stones' metal connects to the main bezel on the MS.
761bba56712d8101889efc49e7cf4fda.jpg

I like the flow of the bottom pic (Mark Schneider).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd still have DK make it, regardless of which version she likes better. [emoji1360]

... Just don't forget to go ahead and have him make a matching band at the same time.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd still have DK make it, regardless of which version she likes better. [emoji1360]

... Just don't forget to go ahead and have him make a matching band at the same time.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1466467045|4046115 said:

Agreed on both points. DK will make it well, and it will be cost friendly. I agree with MSOP that I prefer the lines of the MS version, but both are very pretty. I'm excited to watch this unfold!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could put it in an inexpensive temp setting for now then the two of you together can design a setting. That way she gets something that she is happy to wear and you get to give her your design input. Designing a ring together can be a fun and fulfilling venture.

InnerLoop

Rough_Rock
I like the flow of the Schneider version better also. However, WF's 'no questions asked' return policy will allow us to swap out settings with no added expense. Given this, I'd prefer to keep everything 'in-house' with WF for now and pick the one I think she will like best from their catalog instead of using a temp setting. At least that way I've made a best effort selection that she very well might want to keep.

I'll hold several of the ones shown here (and some others I've found) in my backpocket to show I've put a lot of thought into it. With a sampling of options, I'll let her decide if she'd prefer to get a setting from a different designer or go the custom route.

Thanks again all! I'll be sure to provide updates on however this unfolds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results