shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Suggestions - De Beers Aura Replica?

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
All,

I've been doing a lot of research on RB but my significant other switched her preference to a cushion cut. Specifically, she is in love with the De Beers Aura (http://www.debeers.com/bridal/engagement-rings/j1dd13f07p/de-beers-aura-solitaire-ring).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific diamond and setting?

My budget for the diamond is ~$20k. Bigger the better, but I'm thinking 2 Ct, VS2, G/H, Ideal/Excellent Cut.

Thoughts or suggestions? I have not seen the De Beers Aura mentioned here, but for some reason she prefers the look of it over the HW Micro pave. Thanks!! I'm hoping to purchase ASAP

slg47

Ideal_Rock
That looks like a rectangular modern cushion. Do you know what she likes about this one vs. the HW? The main difference I see is that this one appears to have more metal showing in the band...

ETA maybe something like this?
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8340/
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7576/

I would call GOG and ask them to find you some candidates, if these are smaller than what you are looking for. As far as the setting, I think it should be fairly easy to find one. Since that one is 2.2 mm, I would look for one that is 2.2 mm or get a custom made one to that width

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
yeah, it looks a bit more elongated than the Harry Winston cushion. I love it, very very nice. But you should try to find out if she's a bit more into a modern cut cushion or one that has larger facets or possibly a more open culet. The other difference I see w/ this ring vs the Harry Winston one is that it seems to have larger pointers used in the melee. the ones used in the HW are teeeny tiny. The band also looks wider, 2.2 mm possibly... the HW is around 1.8 depending on the center stone.

Right now are you just looking for the center stone or to have someone design the setting?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This is what the profile view of the Aura looks like (although photo has a round diamond). Leon Mege, Steven Kirsh, Victor C, ERD, etc can all make this setting pretty easily. I personally still like curve struts over these straight lines a la Leon Mege. Never liked the profile view Harry Winston either. Also, De Beers pave is very metally to me and have never been much of a fan of their engagement rings.

The setting will run you around $4000 to $5000 from Leon Mege and Steven Kirsch. In the $3000 to $4000 from CAD and CAST vendors.

De_Beers1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
Thank you all.

I'm looking for both a setting at a diamond.

1. ERD definitely can do a setting I like - I've seen them before. Is there a reason to choose Leon Mage instead? Craftmanship of higher quality?

2. How much does Polish matter? (E vs VG)

3. How much does Symmetry matter? (E vs VG)

I know for a RB, I would prefer EEE for everything, but I have been told with mix message that it does not really matter for Cushion cuts..

I will contact GOG. Thank you all.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
p2aTHX|1305516981|2922785 said:
Thank you all.

I'm looking for both a setting at a diamond.

1. ERD definitely can do a setting I like - I've seen them before. Is there a reason to choose Leon Mage instead? Craftmanship of higher quality?

2. How much does Polish matter? (E vs VG)

3. How much does Symmetry matter? (E vs VG)

I know for a RB, I would prefer EEE for everything, but I have been told with mix message that it does not really matter for Cushion cuts..

I will contact GOG. Thank you all.

Leon Mege is handmade while ERD is cast. Handmade results in less metal showing and 'finer' pave. However, this will be more expensive and a setting will take longer to make.

I think you are fine with VG vs EX...won't see any difference to the naked eye.

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I will lean towards EX but VG seems ok.

I think I prefer a more "crushed Ice" look, which would be a cushion modified brilliant, but I'm so curious as to why the Old Mine Cut Cushions (aka "Antique cushion"??) are more expensive? Why do people on these forums prefer the NON-crushed ice look?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crushed ice look is the least liked option around here. An 8 main modern cushion is the preferred modern cushion but we have seen some nice 4 main lately. Some prefer the newly cut antique cushions that Good Old Gold has cut for maximum light performance, etc. Others prefer antique cushions. I would recommend against the crushed ice look, personally.

And settings by Steven Kirsch have been the better handmade ones lately if you decide to go handmade.

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
isn't the 'antique' cut the same as the old mine cut, from what I read?

People seem to recommend GOG and ERD for cushions...why not whiteflash and jamesallen? I assume I can get a better price on the latter two sites?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Old Gold and ERD specialize more in cushions than anyone else. They know what to look for and always find nice stones. I am sure WF could do it, but their prices are in line with GOG and ERD. WF specializes more in H&A rounds and ideal princess. I would not deal with JA for a cushion unless they happen to have a good one in their inventory (and they have a LOT of poor ones).

Info on cushions along with some videos:

http://goodoldgold.com/ShapeTutorials/Cushion/

I'd choose either GOG or ERD and just let them call in stones for you.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
this video might help you with the 'types' of cushions
http://www.vimeo.com/7579666

there are modern cushions that are not 'crushed ice'...maybe that is what you are looking for? or if you prefer the crushed ice look, that should be easy enough to find :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
1. You can't compare Leon with a cast ring. To me, the difference is astounding and Leon's work is top knotch.
2. Not as much for a cushion. I may even go down to a g with all else amazing.
3. Same as above.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
p2aTHX|1305523871|2922828 said:
Thanks. I will lean towards EX but VG seems ok.

I think I prefer a more "crushed Ice" look, which would be a cushion modified brilliant, but I'm so curious as to why the Old Mine Cut Cushions (aka "Antique cushion"??) are more expensive? Why do people on these forums prefer the NON-crushed ice look?

OMC and Cushion Brilliant are more pricey. Modified cushions are usually the cheapest and the ones that are most really available. My guess is that they retain the most weight and cutters like to cut them. As an owner of an august vintage cushion (antique cushion) and 8 main modern cushion, these are clearly my preference. My fiancé first saw a crushed ice and 4 main and he automatically picked the 4 main as the crushed ice was unappealing to him. Then we saw an 8 main modern cushion (goobear's) and knew we had to have it. Anyways, look at the different types in person or videos .... You will develop your preference.

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
Preference is preference. If you've gone around and looked at the different types of cushions: crushed-ice, modern, antique, etc...and have found the one that appeals to you the most then that's the one she will be most happy with, regardless of what the majority of us like best here on PS!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
It is correct the preference is preference but you have to train your eyes first. When I saw my first cushion I loved it! But now after years of training my eyes I wouldn't give that first cushion another look. Bottom line is that you just don't know what you don't know ... the ignorance is bliss applies.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1305592740|2923545 said:
It is correct the preference is preference but you have to train your eyes first. When I saw my first cushion I loved it! But now after years of training my eyes I wouldn't give that first cushion another look. Bottom line is that you just don't know what you don't know ... the ignorance is bliss applies.

Your last sentence would make a terrific tagline, Charmy!

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
After watching a bit too many GOG videos (they are comedic after a while!), I'm definitely preferring the chunky look vs crushed glass. I see the "life" (as people describe crushed glass as life-less) more.

Now i'm looking for a 2-2.5ct, G/H VS2 (maybe SI1) eye clean from GOG, ERD, and anyone else. Cushion cuts are so subjective!! they require an understanding of the facets etc.

As for settings, im leaning towards ERD - simplier, cheaper, and I feel like the handmade pieces look too...delicate?

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
and is it just me or does the harry winston micropave halo have the crushed ice look??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I enjoyed watching the videos! Mark certainly has access to some amazing antique cushions...wow! I loved all of them and mostly narrowed them down by the visible inclusions. I don't know whether you could see them in real life or not.

a. gorgeous, I like this one a lot

b. beautiful but table a little smaller than I like and culet too small.

c. beautiful but really easy to see inclusions under the table

d. love this one, can see inclusions at 7:00 or so, hopefully not visible normally

So I guess a and d are my favorites.

BUT, the last poster did make a good point. If she is expecting a replica of the De Beers Aura, that ring has a rectangular modern cushion and not a square antique cushion.

Here's an example of an antique cushion in a setting that I love:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/van-craeynest-484-584.99732/?hilit=cushion%20antique']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/van-craeynest-484-584.99732/?hilit=cushion%20antique[/URL]

I really think a modern cushion goes better in a Harry Winston type setting if that is the look desired.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
If you want to go with the antique/vintage style cushion I would ask Mark about the eye-visibility of inclusions. I might be inclined to pick the VS2 to be safe.

In some of the pictures the Aura really does look like 'crushed ice' and in others it looks like a non-crushed ice modern cushion. I have not seen them in person though and am only judging by the images on the website you linked earlier.

I think the antique style cushion could work well in that setting (there are plenty of examples of this!) but you have to make sure that is what your GF wants!

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
Yes. After looking into it more, she really wants a hybrid of the de beers aura. She definitely wants a square cushion...the prices for chunky/old mine is much more expensive than modern brilliant cushion (even the non-crushed glass) look. I hope/think the chunky antique stones will still look good in a ERD ADA - like setting. I'm trying to get a leon mage quote but it will probably take too long...

I don't see the inclusion at the 7:00 min mark you are referring to.

I wonder if you guys can guess the prices - d was significantly more than a b and c (those 3 were similar).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would figure that I'd want the most expensive one. I thought surely since it was the smallest that maybe a 2.46 would cost more! But G VS2 does bump it up in price. VS1 is an even bigger bump up. I'd still choose a or d.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
p2aTHX|1305681098|2924434 said:
and is it just me or does the harry winston micropave halo have the crushed ice look??
Harry Winston micropave halo can come with all types of cushions. I have seen them with antique cushions, 4 main cushions and crushed ice cushions. We have seen all examples on PS for Harry Winston micropave halo.

The three examples of Harry Winston micropave rings on PS are of 3 different types of cushions. It serves as a good comparison of the various appearance of the different types of cushions carried by Harry Winston. Of course, these photos are taken by their respective owners and are from different lighting conditions and clarity.

Harry%20Winston%20-%20Cushion%20Type%20Comparison.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I personally think your GF likes the Aura better because it has a boxier halo and stronger lines. The HW has a curvy halo that cuves withe cushion more. It isn't so much the rectangular shape or the facet pattern of the diamond.

Anyways, the diamond is all personal preference. If I had to pick from the three pictures above, I would still chose the chunky cushion version of the HW. The facet pattern blows me away.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
ERDDiamondComparison.jpg

My pick is 4 > 2 > 1 > 3. I would likely go with 4 because of VS2 and the shape. What are the specs for each stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results