shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Suggestions - De Beers Aura Replica?

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
Good suggestion. I actually submitted an ASET image request for the JA stone. Mark doesn't have the ability to take ASET images at this time. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to disclose prices here, but the 2.07 (stone 4) is 2-3k higher than the JA stone. Is it just me or does the color look way off on the JA stone though?

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
Why 2 over 1?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't worry about the color, that is likely due to photography setup. I prefer #4 from ERD because of the square shape.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
p2aTHX|1305692077|2924569 said:
Why 2 over 1?

I like the distinct pattern better and how the cross lights up.

PS: I think I saw that G VS2 in person before and it is an absolutely gorgeous stone. My mind is fuzzy now but I think it is the same stone.

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
ha- stones just circulate around like that? I think Mark just got a hold of that one recently.

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
Oh - is this a fair question?

What kind of negotiation / discount should I be aiming for when negotiating with JA GOG ERD etc? Pricing seems so subjective and hard to compare apples to apples, one could easily be over charging near 1k without a flinch..

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
p2aTHX|1305692861|2924585 said:
Oh - is this a fair question?

What kind of negotiation / discount should I be aiming for when negotiating with JA GOG ERD etc? Pricing seems so subjective and hard to compare apples to apples, one could easily be over charging near 1k without a flinch..

Their prices are generally not negotiatiable. I have never succeed at least. I think you have wiggle room if you do a setting plus diamond with them but I always did it separately.

I believe I saw this stone when I went to visit Mark but it is probably a different one.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
Just a point of reference, more than one person around here who has had a Leon Mege ring made, has noted that their ring is not 100% handmade-- their appraisers have even pointed this out to them. I have seen the pieces and I would have to agree that in my opinioins they are not 100% handmade. Unless someone can show it in writing on a work order, lets please note that making things handmade is not the same as 100% hand forged... after all this is a consumer advocacy website.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1305690752|2924555 said:
ERDDiamondComparison.jpg

My pick is 4 > 2 > 1 > 3. I would likely go with 4 because of VS2 and the shape. What are the specs for each stone?

I like 2 and 4 a lot here, the maltese cross in #2 is pretty sweet.

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
• #2 - ~20k
o Cushion Brilliant
o 7.90 x 7.71 x 5.20 mm
o 2.25 G SI1 – eye clean
o Polish EX
o Symmetry VG
o Comments: NONE
o 48%, 67.4%, thin/slightly thick (faceted), small cutlet
• #4 - ~23k
o Cushion Brilliant
o 7.44 x 7.41 x 5.09 mm
o 2.07 G VS2 – eye clean
o Polish EX
o Symmetry VG
o Comments: Crown angles are greater than 40 degrees (IS THIS A BAD THING?)
o 55%, 68.6%, thin/thick (faceted), medium cutlet

Also, on James Allen I found the following three:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1278344.asp (previously mentioned) Cushion Brilliant
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1334113.asp Old Miners Cut
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1334114.asp Old Miners Cut

Questions:

1. For #2, the table seems small (48%). What does this affect?
2. Why is a small cutlet not preferred for #4? I thought if there was a large cutlet, light leaks and there is a black dot while viewing from top.
3. What does the comment for crown angles > than 40 degrees mean?

What do you guys recommend my next steps to be to choose the diamonds? The James Allen diamonds look appealing too as the price was in the same range (actually, with PS and direct wire, probably cheaper). Thanks! This is really a exhaustive process!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
In terms of negotiating, just as a reference I got my diamond from Mark and while I paid the asking price for the diamond he gave me a very good deal on my custom setting. So you will save if doing the whole deal through one vendor.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
:love: the GOG one

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
Symmetry and polish are lower though..and clarity. need to check if it's eye clean but it's definitely cheaper.

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
CharmyPoo|1305592740|2923545 said:
It is correct the preference is preference but you have to train your eyes first. When I saw my first cushion I loved it! But now after years of training my eyes I wouldn't give that first cushion another look. Bottom line is that you just don't know what you don't know ... the ignorance is bliss applies.

Totally! I only said that assuming they had looked and looked and compared...which I guess I assumed too fast being that they are now discovering they like the modern brilliant cushion best!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
So many options! What are the prime contenders now?

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
Folks,

I would like to get your input...

I spoke with Mark extensively and his personal prefernce was 4>1>2. That being said, #4 is clearly the front runner. To recap the specs:

#4 - 2.07 G VS2 – eye clean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgQTgJ7Qtx4
o Cushion Brilliant
o 7.44 x 7.41 x 5.09 mm
o o Polish EX
o Symmetry VG
o Comments: Crown angles are greater than 40 degrees
o 55%, 68.6%, thin/thick (faceted), medium cutlet

Now the only thing is price. With the ERG ADA setting, it is approximately $26k. I have been offered a Old Mine Brilliant Diamond STOCK LEON MAGE Setting (see attached photo) for 26-27k for 2.08 GVS2.

Now the question is, which one should I go with?

I know the Leon Mage setting is superior (is it really that big of a difference...?), but the 2.07 ERD Mark T diamond has been scrutinized extensively while the 2.08 LEON MAGE diamond is stock and the ring is not customizable. Do I trust that their diamond is of equal caliber, cut, etc to ERDs? The advantage is that the 2.08 is noted to be "Old Min Brilliant" while the 2.07 by ERD, although close in spec, is just "Brilliant Cushion".

The advantage of ERD is that I think I can negotiate the price down to some degree. I really need help and opinion on which ring to purchase! ERD has been very accomodating.

Lastly, does anyone have advice on a 3rd party appraiser for Cushion Cuts in NYC and how to get that done with Mark T? Thanks.

r4842_104.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
gosh, that would be tough. I'd probably go with Leon that is only b/c I have seen his work in person and trust his opinion on a stone choice. I really don't think you can make a wrong decision here. It really is going to be a personal question as to what is mind clean for you.

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
Hi all - just wanted to give you all an update.

I went into ERD again and I'm deciding between #2 (2.25 G SI1) and #4 (2.07 G VS2).

The 2.07 is more expensive and recommended by ERD, but I personally cannot distinguish much looking at the stones beyond the small vs medium culet.

I think technically I "understand" the 2.07 is the better stone, but I think my finance would prefer the larger (and luckily for me, the cheaper) stone.

I am taking them both to get appraised and an ASET image performed. Based on these results, pending no surprise, I will make the final decision!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
is the SI1 eye-clean? look at it in different lighting/from different angles/etc. then I would just look at both with your own eyes and pick your favorite.

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
Yes..eye clean according to my eyes and ERD's at least. Is there PM on this forum? I'd like to get some smart people's eyes on some of the photos if anyone is willing to help.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
no, no PMs allowed. honestly I don't think either of those are bad choices...just pick the one you like the best.

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
Love #4...I was immediately drawn to that one first before reading anyone else's. The gog one is great too, but #4 is my fave. :love:

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
Thanks. #4 or #2...it will come down to price I think...and if they had an aset image available..

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
I need to make a final decision but I'm looking for input.

2 images below. Left one is #4 (2.07 G VS2), right one is #2 (2.25 G SI1).

#2 is approximately $3k lower in price. I notice small culet (hence the lack of a black dot in the center).

What would you all prefer? My gf is slightly biased towards size but I just want to do a last sanity check...does #4 really justify the price difference and smaller size??

Thank you all.

Attachments

• 2011_05_22_IMG_0748.JPG
    733.9 KB · Views: 420
  • 2011_05_22_IMG_0749,JPG.tif
    734.2 KB · Views: 415
  • 2011_05_22_IMG_0750.JPG
    735.2 KB · Views: 425

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm with your GF and would go for the bigger one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results