shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion halo setting... now to find the cushion!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
ok- i love the diamond- very chunky, big facets, a beautiful color- very antiquey looking
symmetry looked v. good in person
I would be thrilled with it-

i looked it next to the #2- HANDS DOWN I LOVE THE ONE YOU PICKED

let me know what u decides...
-super

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much for taking a look! I think I''m going to take this one. I am going to see a couple other stones tomorrow locally - but I just have a hunch this is the one I want.

Found another setting ... Do you know if this is by Singlestone?

mmmm.jpg

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
By the way - did he show you stone #1 as well? Or just #2 and #3?

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
i didnt look at #1 - that one in the pix on this thread looked more modern to me so i didnt ask about that one-
i honestly love #3
it is very chunky and bright in person- the pix look very dark in comparison- i think you would be thrilled

i would be interested in the stuff u are looking at- what i have learned is that it''s hard to find the antique chunky type and other dealers would try and convince me that the cushions they were showing me were antiquey- when they were NOT- so if the cert says cushion MODIFIED brilliant, i can almost guarantee it will look modern.

keep me posted

and yes, the setting u posted is singlestone for sure! mark can make that - i love that setting !

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
Steven - any chance you were born in Michigan?

I think that #3 sounds dreamy and would be amazing in either of those settings. That second setting you posted was originally designed by Singlestone along with 23rd street and was supposed to be an exclusive for 23rd street. Then Singlestone apparently started selling it on their own without permission from 23rs street and this apparently led to the end of their business relationship.

Either way, they should both have it I think. Who you want to have make it is just a matter of preference. They''re both in a similar price range.

Can''t wait to see the final ring!

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
I''m going to run over to Singlestone to see their settings. Didn''t know Mark could make those as well. I really like the stuff at 23rd - just want to check around a bit more.

Super - when I stopped at 23rd last week, I told her what I wanted and she is going to show me a few cushions tomorrow.

TinyGal - Close! I''m from Minnesota originally.

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Been following the thread. WOW, you move quick. Congrats on finding a stone. Can''t wait to see pics!

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
let us know how it goes= my gut is that 23rd is going to be VERY pricey for the stone, but i am interested in what they have :)

keep us posted
-s

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the setting you picked. I went to 23rd to look at that setting and it seemed very light and delicate to me. A little too light weight for my taste, as in
not quite sturdy enough. I wish they could make it just a tad bit thicker. I thought it was a lot of money for what you got.

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
so......what happened?!?

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Went to Singlestone and 23rd on Saturday.

The 4 stones sourced by 23rd were all wrong. However, they did have an Old / Antique cushion mounted but without certificate. Price was reasonable, but I don''t feel comfortable buying without a cert to back it up. Very chunky stone though - I liked it well enough.

Singlestone - Ari was very helpful. He just didn''t have much in stock to see.

It''s really down to this stone with Mark (shown above) and one with GOG. Here is the GOG stone: GOG Cushion

The inclusion in the center bothers me and it''s a bit smaller than I wanted. However, the GOG stone is $3000 or so less than the 1.7.

Hmmmm... not sure what to do.

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
Hmmm- lower color and smaller- what would a girl do?
PICK THE BIGGER AND BRIGHTER ONE:)
the GOG one is nice but i again, size and color would win me over

see if u can negotiate the price on Mark''s stone

i did love mark''s in person- it was beautiful - but i am partial because i did see it in person

I color stones can be tricky- the one i bought from mark is an I but very white and cut very well

let me know what u decide...

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Aaaahhh, I would have to ask a woman that question.
27.gif

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
i think most women would say "bigger is better" as with most things n life :)

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
Is the stone you''re considering from Mark the 1.7 H (the chunky one)? Are you pressed for time? If so, I would choose the stone from Mark. The H will look better in a halo setting...it will be easier to match the color of the melee stones in the halo to the center stone. I color stones can be tricky and unless you see it in person and find a jeweler you really trust to match the melee to the center stone well enough not to call attention to the color of the center stone, I would choose the H from Mark and have whoever you prefer make the setting.

Also, Mark''s stone is also almost 1mm bigger one one of the measurements than the GOG 1.4. With a halo, the 1.7 will look considerably bigger which may be something to consider especially since cushions already face up quite small for their carat weight.

If you aren''t pressed for time Ari sources some amazing antique stone and does stunning setting work (for a price, but frankly I think it is worth it). If you have time, I would choose Singlestone to make you the ring.

If you weren''t getting the halo setting, I would think the I would be fine for sure. My stone is a J and it faces up amazingly white, but I don''t have a halo and I examined it in several different lights before buying it to make sure I was happy.

Let us know what happens!!

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes, the 1.7 is from Mark. Good points to consider TinyGal - thanks.

With this stone, it''s not square. (It''s 1.11 w x l) I''m going with the halo setting and I thought it would look best to go East-West instead of North-South. I was told that only about 1% of the settings made go East-West, but I think that would look better. (I rarely do things like anyone else and it serves me well for the most part.) Anyhoo... is there a reason hardly anyone does the East-West setting? I like it that way.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think the designs you picked won''t look great going east-west. I find east-west nice in 3 stone settings with no halo.

Hang in there and you will find the right stone. After purchasing my first cushion which I love, we went on a hunt for the perfect cushion (based on my preferences) and it took us a full year. It takes time but it will come.

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well, I do like the fact that it isn''t square. The 1.11 factor is a good thing in my book.

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
i prefer the 1.11 to more square- i do think the north south would look better but ur choice

i do think mark"s stone is the best u are going to find in terms of look and price- there''s not a lot out there - it"s not like you are looking for a round brilliant and there is a ton of stones....

let us know what you decide

-s

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
The 1.11 stone would look amazing east-west, but I personally think it would look much better set east-west WITHOUT the halo. Tiger''s ring is the most amazing east west cushion I have seen around here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-and-antique-cushion.42904/page-3

But, that being said E-W setting is very untraditional, so if your fiance to be hasn''t had input on the ring design, I would think it is safer to choose the north south halo setting as it is far more classic.

I think halo settings east west are kind of awkward. Here are a few pics of east west ovals with a halo to give you an idea:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/east-west-sideways-oval-e-ring-project-possibly-with-halo.124048/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oval-east-west-setting-where-is-this-one-from.79191/

2ndTime

Rough_Rock
Trade
Decision made - doing the 1.7 from Mark at ERD. He''s going to do a slightly modified Winston setting for me as well. Thanks for all your input!
10.gif

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
sounds perfect! it will look AMAZING
congrats!
i know you will love the stone when u see it!

Collee

Shiny_Rock
CONGRATS! Can''t wait to see pics!!!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/15/2009 4:51:58 PM
Author: supercheeks
mark's stones are just as nice as GOG's- mark has been sourcing these stones for YEARS and is an expert on them - so dont feel like you are missing out on something at GOG- truth is, it's hard to find nice ones- i went to all the vendors here to find an omc or chunky cushion and found like 2 stones that were not so hot- mark had the best selection and it was immediate gratification :)

i will go over tomorrow and will let you know

mark had a 2.75 H VS that i looked at and a 2.20 something F VS1- i didnt look at under 2 cts but i will ask him if he has anything else for comparison sake

did he say he had anything else- if he says no, i understand since the chunky ones are hard to find and the crushed looking cushion that have that look of a radiant are a dime a dozen -

will keep u posted

Hi supercheeks,

I have been sourcing cushions from the same resources for years as well. Are you saying there is no difference from what I am having cut on a consistent basis from all other chunky facet cushion cutters?

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
rhino
i am saying that there''s stones out there plain and simple- some are dogs and some are beautiful- and that other vendors have acccess to OMB''s etc- what u are cutting is lovely but if someone does not want to wait, there''s stones out there to be bought that could potentially just as nice ......

why are vendors allowed to comment on forums ? shouldn''t there be a little "church and state here" since it seems that you had a possible biz transaction with 2nd time? don''t get that....

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 7:47:06 AM
rhino
i am saying that there's stones out there plain and simple- some are dogs and some are beautiful- and that other vendors have acccess to OMB's etc- what u are cutting is lovely but if someone does not want to wait, there's stones out there to be bought that could potentially just as nice ......

why are vendors allowed to comment on forums ? shouldn't there be a little 'church and state here' since it seems that you had a possible biz transaction with 2nd time? don't get that....

Supercheeks,

The stones referred to here are not Old Mine Brilliants. This is a mistake GIA makes on the certificates and plots and is misleading, they simply assign these terms based on the table % which is incorrect. For an explanation with pictures look at the bottom of my first thread on pricescope here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-mine-brilliant-versus-cushion-brilliant-gotta-have-the-maltese-cross.118358/.

There are 8 main Cushion Brilliant stones with Antique Chunky Facets and a large culet and there are Old Mine Cuts, but most modern cut stones and new inventory fall into one of these two categories despite the GIA label and plot which says Old Mine Brilliant and is arbitrarily assiged based on the Table %.

I refrained from commenting on your posts before in this thread because it does appear the OP cannot wait and his spec range is not available in a GOG signature cushion and there may be a long waiting time for one to be available.

I do suggest though to avoid further misleading posts that you read my thread this was my first one on Pricescope https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-mine-brilliant-versus-cushion-brilliant-gotta-have-the-maltese-cross.118358/. There are many posts from experience Pricescopers contained within and I have provided a side by side ASET comparison of a stone sourced by Mark and a GOG signature cushion.

There is no comparison between the best that Mark at ERD can offer in 8 main cushion brilliants and the GOG signature OMC line. If a customer is looking for the best and brightest maltese cross under the table with no obstruction than GOG is the only place to find these stones. Even the top choice in this thread although a beautiful bright antique cushion brilliant it is clear from the pictures that there is some obstruction and darkness in the 4 mains (3,6,9,12).

I am very impressed with Mark at ERD he is a wonderful vendor, and he has taught me a great deal about what I know about cushions(we also bought all of our rings from him) see this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-shocking-final-diamond-choice-i-gave-to-my-fiance-which-one-would-you-pick.121154/ on my side by side lineup,
however as of yet he has not spent the time and resources to optimize the light return in these OMC stones. ERD has a wider range of stones (more variety in the 4Cs especially higher colors) available as he works regularly with a vendor that cuts them but they have not taken the sames risks as GOG to develop the line and use stringent light performance measures to reject stones that don't meet Rhino's stringent cut criteria.

I spoke to a dozen or so vendors and cutters and none of them wanted to offer the same assurance that I would get a stone with the same cut consistency, that and the price and risk just made it impractical to go anywherelse but GOG if you "Gotta have that bold maltese cross!"

In addition Rhino is allowed to comment in threads when posts are made with inaccurate information. I feel that comparing any other non branded OMC to his signature line is quite inaccurate and misleading and warrants his comments. I only wish I had made this post earlier and he did not even have to respond here as it sounds much better coming from an unbiased consumer.
Mark at ERD and Jon(Rhino) at GOG were my greatest source of information on Cushion Cuts and I am eternally greatful to both for their long discussions with me even though neither made a great profit(if any) from my purchases.

Sincerely,
CCL

supercheeks

Rough_Rock

all i am saying is that there are stones out there that are nice, beautiful chunky 8 main pav cushions and old mine brilliants somewhere in the market- that is all- GOG is not the "be alll and end all" of this type of stone nor is Mark-

it''s like saying a mercedes is the only luxury car out there- ridiculous

and i do disagree, i think this forum in the past has been made a marketing pitch for GOG''s stones via Rhino in several threads my personal opinion

end of story

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
and i know the differnce between an OMB (i just bought my second one from Mark), an antique looking cushion and cushion modified brilliant...
2.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 2:09:05 PM
and i know the differnce between an OMB (i just bought my second one from Mark), an antique looking cushion and cushion modified brilliant...
2.gif
You bought an actual old mine brilliant from Mark recently? please post pictures I haven't seen a good picture of one on here. The 1.70 H Antique Cushion in this thread is NOT an Old Mine Brilliant. There are no pictures I can find on PS(no closeups anyway) and I will add it to my Cushion Guide if you can post it.

supercheeks

Rough_Rock
yes- it''s the second one i bought from him

here it is...

2.6 ct OMB
and i know the one 1.7 is a cushion brilliant, not an omb. ..and nice ones are hard to find

all i am trying to say is that there''s plenty of BEAUTIFUL stones out there- i live in nyc and travel alot for work on the west coast and through europe and have hit every jewelry store from here to Timbuktu..

go to stephan russell, fred leighton, leviev (they have their own cutters), William goldberg ,neil lane, martin katz, etc etc and they have beautiful OMB and antique cushion diamond rings NOT sourced through GOG- all i am saying is that nice stones exist out there...trust me....have you been to any of the above stores or cutters?

omc brilliant4.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results