shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Experts: Helpity Help Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Update:

Well, I emailed James Allen. I felt pretty bad because I had a bit of a relationship going, but in the end, I think going in the direction of the August Vintage will be so much better. And one day, when it''s time to buy some other yummy goodies, I hope I can work with them.

In the meantime, I''ve watched a lot of the GOG videos and they are just what this arm chair shopper needed. I was hoping to get in touch with them today but it''s Monday and it seems they''re not open till tomorrow.

After looking and looking, I''m gonna have them compare 2 AV diamonds for me:

1.04 H VS2 $5167
1.00 D VS2 $7142

I feel like I am color sensitive, which would make sense in that I''m an artist by "profession", and there is just something so delicious and clear and refreshing to me about the D... but it''s at a premium cost for sure.

If you have any thoughts, I''d love to hear them.

Also, does anybody have any idea what the cost range is for a simpler 1 star Leon Mege setting?

Thanks you beautiful cushion goddesses, you!

(ps here''s a self portrait in acrylic)

Selfportrait Acrylic 2008.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
If you can wait, Jon said he is getting a bunch of newbies in a few weeks. There may be more selection for you that meets your needs.

I wouldn''t go by the Leon Mege star ratings - they aren''t too accurate. It is best to request a quote.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I just got an LM quote back for R971, which is my husband''s favorite, which is totally doable. Yes! So now I have to think about the rock. Timeframe about 2 months.

northyvr

Rough_Rock
Missydebby, would it be rude to ask approximately what your quote was for the r971? I LOVE that setting!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on the center stone. My quote was for a .91 cushion, so that might make a difference. But its approx $3600

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 7:38:26 PM
Author: missydebby
I think it depends on the center stone. My quote was for a .91 cushion, so that might make a difference. But its approx $3600
How big are the marquises and does that price include the cost of the 6 marquises as well?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Did he quote based on you getting the center stone on your own or through him?

I thought the price for that setting will be a bit higher.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I want to tell everything... but I don''t know if it''s kosher!

I just talked to him today (fantastic) and am gonna finalize it all probably on Wednesday. How bout all the juicy details then?

Once I decided I just had to get a setting from Mege I just wanted to get the process started right away in that he has at least a 2 month timeframe due to other orders.

This is gonna be one heck of an anniversary
36.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 8:49:37 PM
I want to tell everything... but I don''t know if it''s kosher!

I just talked to him today (fantastic) and am gonna finalize it all probably on Wednesday. How bout all the juicy details then?

Once I decided I just had to get a setting from Mege I just wanted to get the process started right away in that he has at least a 2 month timeframe due to other orders.

This is gonna be one heck of an anniversary
36.gif
With Mr. Mege MAKE SURE you are clear in writing of all details, make sure you tell him if you want an airline or not specifically.
Also make sure you understand his quote as he adds melee diamonds afterwards to the cost.

Regards,
CCl

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Will do. Thanks for the heads up. What I''m getting is something I''ll be proud to hand down to my little girl. (If she doesn''t mind getting a beautiful ring that''s been drooled over for 50 years)

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, don't have a picture (maybe will have that by tomorrow or Thurs),
but would love to hear your thoughts based on numbers alone:

Cushion Brilliant 6.74*5.55*3.21
D IF .91
Polish : Excellent
Sym : Good
Flor: None
Girdle: very thin to thick

cushion brilliant.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Not enough information to judge. This plot is one of a modern cushion - it will not have the chunky flashes and look of the August Vintage. CCL and I both have a modern cushion with this plot.

My thoughts - very thin girdle - make sure you get it checked out and that it is not dangerous. My AVC has portions that are very thin but they were checked out as a non-issue by an appraiser. I know you want a pure and white diamond but a D IF is really an overkill :razz: Are you sure you don''t want to go bigger instead?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 5:49:56 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Not enough information to judge. This plot is one of a modern cushion - it will not have the chunky flashes and look of the August Vintage. CCL and I both have a modern cushion with this plot.

My thoughts - very thin girdle - make sure you get it checked out and that it is not dangerous. My AVC has portions that are very thin but they were checked out as a non-issue by an appraiser. I know you want a pure and white diamond but a D IF is really an overkill :razz: Are you sure you don''t want to go bigger instead?

I agree with everything Charmypoo said she is right on.
Even if you listed Depth and Table % we could tell you if we would reject it right away but couldn''t tell you without an ASET how well it returned light.

The only thing I would add is that those modern 8 mains look better with perfectly square outlines Length = Width, that one is rectangular and if you want that LW ratio I suggest going with the vintage faceted 8 main rather(like an AVC) than the modern faceted type.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
good to know... I think tomorrow, I''ll have some better info. I also have a choice of 3 other diamonds with higher carat weights and less overkill. I''ll post when I have em.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 5:24:07 PM
Ok, don''t have a picture (maybe will have that by tomorrow or Thurs),

but would love to hear your thoughts based on numbers alone:

Cushion Brilliant 6.74*5.55*3.21

D IF .91
Polish : Excellent
Sym : Good
Flor: None
Girdle: very thin to thick
Hi missydebby,
35.gif

Fantastic self-portrait, BTW.
Regarding this cushion, It''s hard to tell much without a photo and ASET image, but off the top of my head, I''m guessing this stone has a largish table and shallower overall depth given the dimensions you''ve provided for a stone that''s .91 carats. It''s also got a length to width ratio of 1.21:1.0 - which means it''s got more rectangular proportions (or could even read more oval depending on how they cut the stone). That''s about all I can gleam from those measurements.

Is it too late to talk you out of the IF clarity grade?
41.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 5:56:04 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

The only thing I would add is that those modern 8 mains look better with perfectly square outlines Length = Width, that one is rectangular and if you want that LW ratio I suggest going with the vintage faceted 8 main rather(like an AVC) than the modern faceted type.
IDK, I think it''s a personal preference call. I actually prefer rectangular cushions, and have seen rectangular modern 8-main cushions on here that look spectacular: PDBagLady''s stone has a 1.16 L/W ratio. There are other PSrs with beautiful rectangular 8-main modern cushions as examples, but they may not want their stones critiqued as they are active PSrs.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Naw, it''s not too late to convince me out of my compulsive disordered D IF obsession. (Quick, hand me the Prozac)

Ok, here''s the gist of everything. I spoke with Leon on Monday after I had gotten a quote for r971. I had firmly decided that I want one of his masterpieces and then firmly decided on this beauty of a ring.

I love the August Vintage stones but decided to talk to him about his diamond concierge service for 2 reasons. 1 is that I thought it would cut down on a lot of hassle to have it all taken care of under one roof. And 2 because I can see from his work that Leon puts beauty, integrity,and quality over all else in his artwork. I''ve had a lot of experience in finding true unique artisans, giving them my parameters, and letting them go to town. There''s always a bit of risk, but if you''re open to a bit of uncertainty, you can often get a truly amazing piece.

Anywho, he had originally quoted me on a .91 that I had on hold from James Allen. He''s so conscientious that he didn''t want me to break any agreements I had with them. I assured him that it wasn''t yet bought and then we talked about what I wanted. I said I''d like 1 carat plus or minus antique-y cushion... (minus if the stone''s quality and uniqueness merited going down in size), no lower than H and no lower than VS2. The first thing that he mentioned, very excitedly is this stone that I mentioned, which he thought was something else and perfect for the ring in combination. But he also has 3 other stones that aren''t so redonkculous, a bit less expensive and bigger: 1.11 ct , 1.14 ct , 1.03 ct, GIA, no florescence - that have the look of the stone in this ring.

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=362

His diamond guy is out till tomorrow and I''ll be consulting with him tomorrow mid morning. So I''ll ask for photos, et al and share.

The other cool thing is that since my center diamond''s gonna be a lot smaller than the 3 carat-er in the ring''s photo, we are probably going to go with 2 marquise on each side instead of 3, much like the picture to follow. I know it''s one less marquise, but I like the aesthetics better.

mege 2 marquise.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 6:22:41 PM
Author: pixley

Date: 4/6/2010 5:56:04 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

IDK, I think it''s a personal preference call. I actually prefer rectangular cushions, and have seen rectangular modern 8-main cushions on here that look spectacular: PDBagLady''s stone has a 1.16 L/W ratio. There are other PSrs with beautiful rectangular 8-main modern cushions as examples, but they may not want their stones critiqued as they are active PSrs.
30.gif
Yews, personal preference indeed!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The tsavorite ring you posted above belongs to a PSer (search Harriet). That is a lovely ring and I have admired the design for a while. With that said, I really would like to see you go with the other design you had in mind. The reason is that this is your engagement ring and you want it as timeless as possible - you can always go with something more unique as a right hand ring. Now, people that know my journey to my ering will think I am a hypocrite given that I am still undecided on my unique design. Leon and others have warned me to go with something traditional - ie. no split shank, no crazy profile.

On the topic of a rectangular cushion, it is completly personal preference and mine is a square cushion. I rejected a GOG stone in the past because it was 1.04 instead of 1.00 ratio. With the antique cuts, I find the rectangular shapes to be very nice. My personal preference for the modern 8 main cushion is definetly a square cushion. This is your ring though and you need to decide what you like best.

Leon%20mege%201.jpg

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a really good point on the ring. Well, tomorrow I''ll post what news/images/info I have.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Update!

I have selected a diamond! My beautiful diamond is the one on the RIGHT of the attached photo. It's an in house diamond from the Leon Mege atelier, selected especially for my chosen setting r971:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=416&mode=lightbox

And I hope you'll be proud to know that I didn't chose the more expensive .91 D IF, which is the stone on the left, but a 1.01 E VS2.

I'm sooo excited. The amount I'm spending for both the diamond and setting is unexpectedly way better than I thought when I first considered going the LM route.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I'' have to get the size smaller... I''ll post the photos in a sec

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I still see nothing! Leon''s site is down - can you post a pic of your setting.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Fantastic! Can''t wait to see it!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the delicious setting:

my leon mege.jpg

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
And voila, here''s the photo of the diamonds. The one on the left is a .91 D IF and the one on the right is a 1.01 E VS2. I chose the right one. Cheaper, bigger, and the shape and facets.... drool drool drool

d vs e diamonds.jpg

northyvr

Rough_Rock
Missydebby, that''s going to be stunning!

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 10:48:20 PM
Great threads. That''s perfect.

I wish I could go see them in person, but I''m sort of stuck. I''m an expat that lives in Holland. Like all crazy Dutch people, I ride my bike as my primary source of transportation. A coupla months ago I fell on some ice and ruined my left menicus (and awaiting surgery). So I''m shopping for my anniversary/replacement engagement ring online. I guess the only other possibility is trying to get over to Amsterdam or Antwerp to double check colors before I make a purchase.

Anywho, here are my current trains of thought: I love the August Vintage. They are just soooo yummy.

From what I gather, my LM dream settings are probably on the expensive side but if I find a center stone for under $4500, then I''ll have around $4000 to work with at LM. Perhaps the dream setting can be altered to come in around there. (Otherwise, there are some other 1 and 1/12 star possibilities.) Thus the AV 1.18 L VS1 at $4061 is right in the ball park.Part of me just thinks, perhaps I should just call Leon Mege''s diamond concierge and have the diamond sourcing and setting all done under one roof. It wouldn''t be AV, but seems that it''d still be incredible.

Here''s another setting that I love. May I kindly ask what your thoughts are on this setting? Especially if, say, I went with the L?
I really LOVE this rose gold setting. If it works well with your skin tone MY vote is for this one. I have a G color stone and I think it is really white, H would have been my low color choice. By going a little lower on the scale I was able to get a bigger stone
31.gif
. Good luck shopping. And have FUN

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I know. I love the rose gold setting,too. And I''m in love with like 8 other settings on his site. I mean, any of them would be a dream ring for me. I asked my hubby for his two cents, and though it is totally up to me, his preference is against solitaires and this was his favorite on the whole site. What I also love are the 3 marquise. In our little family it is only me, my hubby, and our girl and in my mind the 3 marquise on each side are a nice symbol for that. (Plus they sorta look like tulips
1.gif
)

I hope, maybe next year or in two, to have an eternity band (to be worn as my wedding ring) done by him with mostly diamonds but in 3 spots have our three birthstones.

And the next time I ever come into money, I''d love to have a beautiful petite little green or greenish diamond in that rose gold setting for a right hand ring.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The stone on the right looks a lot prettier to me. I think E VS2 is a great combination.

You better let CCL know if you want a true critque of the diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results