shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Experts: Helpity Help Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Lovers of cushions, I humbly beg for your input. I am torn between 3 stones and I NEED ADVICE!!!

*My budget was originally no higher than $8500 for stone and setting but can go around $10,000 for something really special*

The least expensive stone is James Allen item number 1271799. The specs:.91 carats, F VS1, 5.52*5.43*3.73 (ratio 1.02) Depth 68.7, Table 64. According to JA, it''s crazy brilliant. The price is around $3400 which would allow me to go for a Mege dream setting of 4000-5000. I love the price and the brilliance and the stone''s got character. The only 2 drawbacks for me is that it''d be cool to have a carat+, and that it''s shape doesn''t yell "CUSHION" to me :)

The next stone is JA 1284592. The specs: 1.01 F VS1, 6.10*5.67*3.85 (ratio 1.08)price $5200. Depth:67.9 Table: 58 What I love: The Depth and Table ratio seem on paper at least, to be better. This stone is also rated EX for both polish and symmetry, which at least on paper also seems awesome. Finally, this stone, while not having the character of the first, yells "cushion" and seems to have a nice balance between chunky and thinner facets. With the price of this stone, I could go for a scaled back Mege setting of around $3000.

The attached photo is of the D IF Cushion and I''ll attach the other two in a sec

And finally, the stone that speaks to the obsessive compulsive perfectionist in me that just for once in my god-forsaken life, wants something that''s freakin perfect! ;-) The stone is JA 1279087. The specs: 1.02 D IF, 6.26*5.59*3.80 (ratio 1.12) price $9800. Depth 68, Table 64 with EX polish and VG symmetry. What I love: That it''s just an almost perfect diamond, it''s rarity, the faceting (at least on paper) and while it''s ratio seems just a tad long for me, it''s still got the classic cushion shape just oozing out of it. The drawback of course is the price. It''s at my limit and means I''d just get the least expensive JA nice setting ($490) and would have to wait 5 or so years to afford to replace the JA cheapo setting for a dream Mege setting.

Some final notes: I am committed to buying through JA due to the help they''ve given me so far. I''ve been working with Darin Grimes, who has been so thoughtful and patient with me and I want to be loyal to the help they''ve already given me. And unfortunately, I am unable to go and see these in person.

D IF Cushion.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the 1.01 F VS1

heplitycushion1ddx.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the .91ct F VS1

F20VS120_91ddx.jpg

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer, you''re the best. Thank you. I''m so curious what you have to say regarding the D IF.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, even IF has flaws inside, so it is not perfect
2.gif
I don't personally value rarity very much so I am not the one to ask. If I was going to drop 10k I would get the biggest H SI1 I could afford. Or this: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6257/

I don't really like to looks of the .91 in the photo... Can you get ASET images of them?

The cushion folk will come along soon... I know RBs better.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
For educational purposes, there are several types of cushions to consider.
1. Chunky Cushions (aka Antique Cut cushions). These cushions have beautiful broad chunky flashes that were seen in the old mine cushions. Good Old Gold has created their August Vintage line to mimic these looks but with top performance - there is nothing else on the market like them. You can also get a similar look for vendors such as ERD or even Leon himself now! They may not perform as well as GOG's August Vintage but can be very nice still. On the plots, they look like 8 fat mains typically.

2. Modern Cushions. There are many types of modern cushions.
a. Cushion Brilliants: There are numerous facet patterns but the most common ones are the 8 thin mains and the 4 mains. I have seen many in person and have a hands down preference for the 8 thin mains. They are just very beautiful.
b. Cushion Modified Brilliants: Not typically a fan favorite here on pricescope. They have been described as looking like crushed ice. I personally have yet to see one I like.

3. Other Modern Cushions
a. Square H&A from GOG
b. Cushette
c. Brian Gavin's modern cushion
d. Other branded cuts

For me, I personally like the GOG August Vintage and the 8 main modern cushions. I have one of each and like them the best out of all the options. I also like the square H&A but I find their lines too harsh.

CCL - hopefully, you will pop in and share your cushion guide.

I have identified other options for you - they all come in at under 5K so you can get your dream Leon setting. They are also all over 1 ct.

Two options from James Allen - ask for ASETs.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1280160.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1281383.asp

Some modern cushion options that I came across are listed below. I wouldn't recommend going with that vendor since they are an unkown - however, I am sure Mark at ERD or another vendor can call in the stone. I know Mark has access to this vendor. The picture on this site isn't the actual diamond.
http://www.excellentdiamondcutters.com/diamonds/pc/1-04-G-VS2-Cushion-Loose-Diamond-p26200.htm
http://www.excellentdiamondcutters.com/diamonds/pc/1-04-G-VS2-Cushion-Loose-Diamond-p26117.htm

Some antique cushions.
From Good Old Gold ...
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6360/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6463/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6001/

Here is a smaller F VS2
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6903/

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you thank you thank you both. I know I''m gonna feel so bad for "skipping out" on JA but the August Cushions are just what I''m looking for.

I''m drooling over the links...

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think of this d 1 carat?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6546/

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
The H VS2 is so gorgeous. What are your thoughts on going so far away from colorless? Does it not really matter all that much once it''s in the setting?

Thanks so much!!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
All of the AVCs are nice including that one - I wouldn't say this is the nicest one around .. there are better. However, they won't make it unless they pass Jon's standards. I know you would really like a D but a G is very white too. Have you seen a D and a G GIA graded diamond in person? I urge you to take a look before paying the premium.

Here is my AVC on the left - it is actually really white but that photo looks yellowy. It is a 1.7 ct E VS1 - you can see more here - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6267. On the right is my 8 main modern cushion (a really bad photo of it) that is a G. This is a really poor photo for comparison but the story behind it. I am very color sensitive so I originally felt that the G was too yellow and went up to a E when I got my AVC. Now, I really think the G is really white and a great color - the E might be too white now :razz:

PS: I think if you go for one sided pave, your setting will be around $3500 from Leon.

AVCand8MainModern-CW.jpg

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
That''s really helpful. I have to say, I just love how pillow-y the AV look. These are the 3 settings I love from LM. But I''m gonna ask that the pave is only one sided.
The first:

Leon mege 1.jpg

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
The second:

leon mege 2.jpg

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
The 3rd:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
the 3rd (again)
well the files too big.... don''t know why
it''s r1306
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=500&mode=lightbox

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
May I ask another color question? What are your thoughts about just going to the other end of the spectrum all the way down to L? Part of me feels like I''d rather have either colorless or a nice faint yellow rather than in between. On GOG there is also this little guy:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6215/

I am just soooooo grateful for your help, I can''t even tell you.
26.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 4:50:15 PM
Author: missydebby
May I ask another color question? What are your thoughts about just going to the other end of the spectrum all the way down to L? Part of me feels like I''d rather have either colorless or a nice faint yellow rather than in between. On GOG there is also this little guy:

26.gif
Those new settings you posted will cost more. The price I guessed was based on the James Allen setting u posted.

I think what I am saying is that a G is really white that you won''t be able to tell it is not colorless. Very few people will be able to tell unless it is put side by side with a D. An L will have a yellowish tint but it''s not going to be even a faint yellow.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not consider G to be "in the middle" in terms of color. To me, diamond do not really start to show their tint until I color, and even then it is sublte. So I would personally consider D-G and many Hs to be colorless. What is different is the quality of the white. As Charmy mentioned, there is indeed a differnce between and E and a G, but it is not about "yellow". G is somehow a softer white.

I would consider I/J to be "in the middle" and K and lowe to be a more tinted range.

For reference I have owned an F, a G, a J, a K.

But you really need to go see diamonds in person to know your own preference for color. I would persoally not get an L colored diamond. But others love it.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen that L in person. You wouldn''t say it''s a light yellow diamond in person, just rather tinted.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask another color question? What are your thoughts about just going to the other end of the spectrum all the way down to L? Part of me feels like I'd rather have either colorless or a nice faint yellow rather than in between. On GOG there is also this little guy:

I am just soooooo grateful for your help, I can't even tell you.
26.gif

This one would really be pretty with the little pave to help bring out some of its creamy color. This would really work for me but not everyone
would be happy with it. I think older cut stones really look nice in warmer colors (even though the AV is a new cut that looks like an old one).

EDIT
Here are a couple threads of lower colored stones you could take a look at...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-j-and-lower-colored-diamonds.73446/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Great threads. That''s perfect.

I wish I could go see them in person, but I''m sort of stuck. I''m an expat that lives in Holland. Like all crazy Dutch people, I ride my bike as my primary source of transportation. A coupla months ago I fell on some ice and ruined my left menicus (and awaiting surgery). So I''m shopping for my anniversary/replacement engagement ring online. I guess the only other possibility is trying to get over to Amsterdam or Antwerp to double check colors before I make a purchase.

Anywho, here are my current trains of thought: I love the August Vintage. They are just soooo yummy.

From what I gather, my LM dream settings are probably on the expensive side but if I find a center stone for under $4500, then I''ll have around $4000 to work with at LM. Perhaps the dream setting can be altered to come in around there. (Otherwise, there are some other 1 and 1/12 star possibilities.) Thus the AV 1.18 L VS1 at $4061 is right in the ball park.Part of me just thinks, perhaps I should just call Leon Mege''s diamond concierge and have the diamond sourcing and setting all done under one roof. It wouldn''t be AV, but seems that it''d still be incredible.

Here''s another setting that I love. May I kindly ask what your thoughts are on this setting? Especially if, say, I went with the L?

Mege r1057 pink gold.jpg

Roxie Bling

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/4/2010 4:23:11 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I am very color sensitive so I originally felt that the G was too yellow and went up to a E when I got my AVC. Now, I really think the G is really white and a great color - the E might be too white now :razz:

Not to highjack, but that just made me smile. I am STILL on my cushion search and have nothing new to report so have not posted recently. Do you still favor AVCs over 8 main moderns, or have you changed your mind on that too?

missydebby: Charmy is great at supporting people''s search for lovely cushion diamonds. I am sure she can be a great asset to you.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I know, Charmy is excellent. She sent links to some GOG options which were like a life raft in heavy diamond hunting waters.

Speaking of which, I also really love the AV 1.04 H VS2 at $5167. It''s a 1000 less that I could spend on a setting, but possibly the best of all worlds. I just got finished reading through the J-M threads, looking at a few of GOG''s videos, and at Diamonds by Lauren''s color grading scale. That helps mucho.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer, that video was perfect. Without even to have to see it in person, I can tell now that I just prefer less tint. So the L is out. The video, however, did learn me a thing or two and I see 3 really good choices before me.

1.03 I VVS2 $5330
1.01 J VS2 $3972
1.04 H VS2 $5167

Any preferences?

(By the way, Holland is like the dachshund capital of the world. I''ve never seen so many cute little short haired, wired haired and long haired guys in my life. I grew up with dachshunds, so you can imagine the type of heaven I''m in...)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 12:15:34 AM
Dreamer, that video was perfect. Without even to have to see it in person, I can tell now that I just prefer less tint. So the L is out. The video, however, did learn me a thing or two and I see 3 really good choices before me.

1.03 I VVS2 $5330
1.01 J VS2 $3972
1.04 H VS2 $5167

Any preferences?

(By the way, Holland is like the dachshund capital of the world. I''ve never seen so many cute little short haired, wired haired and long haired guys in my life. I grew up with dachshunds, so you can imagine the type of heaven I''m in...)
Which one faces up the largest
2.gif
What are the proportions re: square versus rectangular and which shape do you prefer?

Though it is neither here nor there, I would go for the H VS2, that is a very good color/clarity combo in my opinion for value.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also like the 1.04 I Si1 and the 1.04 G SI1 that they have, as long as they are eye clean.

I am jealous of all the dachsies, we never see them here.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

26.gif
Its entirely up to you, an L colour will show some warmth but some, myself included, find that extremely attractive in these types of diamonds.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 12:15:34 AM

1.03 I VVS2 $5330
1.01 J VS2 $3972
1.04 H VS2 $5167

Any preferences?

I will have to look at the links again to see which one I like best. Personally, I would go towards a G or H since I am not one that likes the yellowish tint. You won''t see the tint in the G or H. Have Jon at GOG make you a video to compare the 3 diamonds.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 10:56:12 PM
Author: Roxie Bling

Not to highjack, but that just made me smile. I am STILL on my cushion search and have nothing new to report so have not posted recently. Do you still favor AVCs over 8 main moderns, or have you changed your mind on that too?

missydebby: Charmy is great at supporting people''s search for lovely cushion diamonds. I am sure she can be a great asset to you.
Very nice to see you keep posting. The cushion search can be a very long one and I hope you do find your diamond soon. Honestly, I think I still like the AVCs over the 8 main moderns but they are both beautiful in their own way. Maybe that is why I still have two. I reserve my judgement until I have both set in their final homes and I wear it for a while. My 8 main modern is going back to Maytal to be set in a HW inspired setting - she is taking the month off so that has to wait until May. My AVC is sitting at Leon''s until I decide what to set it in.

Thank you for the kind words :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results