shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kel

Rough_Rock
I am thinking of changing my engagement ring from a round brilliant stone to a cushion cut. Are these diamonds hard to find and if so, are they very pricey? I am thinking of buying possibly online (what is the general opinion on Blue Nile?)

and any cushion settings pictures are gratefully received!

Thanks
Kel
x

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying to get the questions one by one...

- There''s is a TON of cushion rings on the ''Show me the ring'' forum and several threads showing (some of) the variations of this cut you may find useful.
34.gif
THIS is such a thread.

- Cushion cuts are priced much like any other fancy (a bit less per carat than rounds, and they are a bit smaller so... things even out somewhat).

- BN is great, but they do not how pictures. And cushion cuts are not ''standard'' - facet patters and the resulting looks vary quite a bit. Trying to guess-timate cut quality by the available GIA stats (table and depth
7.gif
) it is not such a great idea IMO. Those numbers are not supposed to describe brilliance or anything. So.. it is a relatively blind purchase. Other online sellers show their diamonds, and that would make a difference to me (it may not make any difference to you - as you wish).

On the side, there are some branded H&A cushions you may find to be closer to the brightness of your current round. Among the sellers posting here, GoodOldGold lists two of these (the ''Regent'' and ''H&A Cushion'' that still needs a name). It can''t hurt to click after them online.

My 0.2

Kel

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much. I am going to get my current ring valued at lunchtime and will use whatever I get for that to purchase a new diamond. I have seen this old cushion from an antique dealers.... I''m based in London so Hatton Garden is my best option. I am going to try and buy the diamond first (either online or in a shop) and then look for a setting.

Cut Colour Clarity Shape Carat Price / Carat (Exc VAT) Price (Exc VAT) Price (Inc VAT) Certificate?
Old Cut
G/H
VS1
Cushion
£1500.00
£1200.00
£1410.00
No

Attractive cushion shape old cut diamond 6x5.30x3.30mm(approx) full of lustre.Well proportioned and not easily available.Price in US$ 2600 for the diamond.Freight and Insurance extra

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
dunno ana- sometimes rounds can took a tad dark to me whereas my mod cushion looks very bright with tons of fire! I don't think only the H&A cushions can go head to head with a round!
10.gif

That said, I love blue nile...for looking for stones...then calling a ps vendor to get it for you cheaper
2.gif

Kel...you really need to see the stone in question for yourself! Like ana said, there are just too many variations

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2005 7:28:04 AM
Author: moremoremore

I don''t think only the H&A cushions can go head to head with a round!
Yeah, well... they were just one option at the bottom of the list. Good to know they are out there and there is a bit of following and not much hate-mail
3.gif

To digress a bit...
38.gif

How much contrast is ''good'' - that would be a nice question to ask about rounds too. And it has, I suppose. I am surprised though that the answer did not mention non H&A round brilliants that would not have obvious dark reflectors (like those arrows). If I remember right, the IS ''direction'' for fancies outlaw darkness too, for some reason not so in rounds. I wonder when it started to be a good thing ?

Kel

Rough_Rock
Does this seem a good deal? Don''t forget I am paying in ££££ and not $$$$!!! It''s a cushion cut (think the modern cut)

Measurement: 5.83 - 5.34 x 3.75
Carat weight: 0.91
Cut: Very Good
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
L/W Ratio: 1.09
Depth%: 70.2%
Table%: 62%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very Good
Girdle:
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Comment: Free inscription service available. Please allow 10 days.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2005 9:34:31 AM
Author: Kel
Does this seem a good deal? Don't forget I am paying in ££££ and not $$$$!!! It's a cushion cut (think the modern cut)

so... how much is it?

Measurement: 5.83 - 5.34 x 3.75
Carat weight: 0.91
Cut: Very Good
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
L/W Ratio: 1.09
Depth%: 70.2% <-------------- a tad deep, if it matters (there could be larger for the weight and it could be
dark because of the steep pavilion, but maybe not - I don't even know how it is
cut!)
Table%: 62%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: <----------- ?
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Comment: Free inscription service available. Please allow 10 days. <--------- doesn't matter much

Anyway, there isn't much I can say without seeing it.

Size and price show loud and clear.

Can it be G-VS1? I am sure there is no difference to talk about, but this is up to you, of course.

Is this one a better price? It is a hair larger because of the smaller depth, although not as much as I would expect. price, 2.5k (USD) LINK

CUSHION MODIFIED BRILLIANT
Clarity Grade VS1
Color Grade G
Measurements 5.88 x 5.50 x 3.32 mm
Weight 0.87 carat
Depth 60.4%
Table 63%
Girdle NA (again)
Culet None
Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Fluorescence None

For the weight I would have expected 6mm, but only foud a couple of VVS ones like that and that didn't exactly account for a better deal.

Kel

Rough_Rock
Sorry 2,500 US dollars is around £1500 UK - I don''t really want to go much over $3.5 if possible (although I''d rather spend on the diamond as the setting is cheaper).

The part I am confused about is the depth and culet and table.

Basically I would like a cushion diamond between 0.80-85 - up to 1.00 carat stone. What sort of depth/culet and table stats should I be looking for?

I''ve seen some great diamonds on the websites that people have recommended - thanks so much you guys are REALLY helpful!!!

Next question will be a gorgeous setting for my gorgeous cushion - but I better get the cushion sorted first eh?!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results