shape
carat
color
clarity

COVID19: What are you stocking up on?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stocking up on chocolate croissants. Seriously. There is only one (very recent) real patisserie in my city, and I'm trying to do my part to keep it alive. They've only been here for 2 years, and this may kill them. Their business was booming, but with the shutdowns of so many restaurants, they are hurting. So since they are doing curbside pickup, that's what we did - I texted the owner, and ordered croissants, a brioche, and 2 corn tarts for tomorrow's breakfast. We drove up to the back door, paid, and never even got out of the car. There are few places I would trust to make my food for me, but these two (it's a husband-wife team of bakers) are insanely spotless in all things.

Oh, and the husband is Italian. So far all his family in southern Italy, are doing fine.

Such....interesting times. PIty I won't make it to read the history that is written about these days.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My body will benefit from the alcohol free days even though I have plenty of booze in the house as I seldom drink alone at home except when I am having a meal on Sundays.

If you're on PS you're not alone -- drink up sister!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Rice and alcohol... I think my husband would be miserable without either. We typically buy rice 100 lbs at a time (on sale of course) but this time we only bought a 50 lbs bag.

I have lots of eggs too thanks to our chickens. Not stocking up on much of anything else. I’ve got a large yard and tons of veggie starts that will go outside soon. I started too early so I’m already getting flowers on some of them.

I’ve been dying to homestead for years and this might be my chance.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wondered if you had gone to the beach house already? I would definitely want to be where there are less people, if there are going to be restrictions as to movement. Easier to be outside in your own yard? Sorry to report that I've seen people looking to rent houses in CT for a few months, in order to leave the city -- I assumed that's because they may live in an apartment with no outdoor space?

I just worry leaving my parents and also my friends. I just got back from a nice long walk with my girlfriend and it's uplifting having that. But yes we are constantly re-evaluating and might have to make some tough decisions soon. I wish I could get my parents to come with us to the beach house but they wouldn't plus my parents care for so many feral cats by them....they are not automated like the situation we have at our beach house with the ferals. But I digress. All this to say it is a hard decision either way.

We stopped at the local Korean grocer to get some things and they are out of chocolate...they said that the supply chain for chocolate is interrupted. Oh my goodness #darkchocolate #need
:o

How much @missy? I think the bill is $243...I have tip anxiety because I never know how much..xoxoxo

I would consider giving them $50. My dh would probably just up the total to $300 so a $57 tip. If it is anything like it is by us they deserve every penny. It is crazy here at the bigger stores like Costco, Fairway etc so they are really working much harder than usual to get you groceries.
Believe me they will more than appreciate your generosity.
(((Hugs))) to you Joanne.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just worry leaving my parents and also my friends. I just got back from a nice long walk with my girlfriend and it's uplifting having that. But yes we are constantly re-evaluating and might have to make some tough decisions soon. I wish I could get my parents to come with us to the beach house but they wouldn't plus my parents care for so many feral cats by them....they are not automated like the situation we have at our beach house with the ferals. But I digress. All this to say it is a hard decision either way.

We stopped at the local Korean grocer to get some things and they are out of chocolate...they said that the supply chain for chocolate is interrupted. Oh my goodness #darkchocolate #need

I would consider giving them $50. My dh would probably just up the total to $300 so a $57 tip. If it is anything like it is by us they deserve every penny. It is crazy here at the bigger stores like Costco, Fairway etc so they are really working much harder than usual to get you groceries.

Thanks Missy! xxxxoooo

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My diner is closed for eating in, but open for pick-up. I'm tipping 33% on any pick up I do till this thing is over, and my DH and I will be dropping in most days. All the waitresses work for tips. This is killing them.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS just paid his gardener for the next 4 visits, and hopes the neighbours will do the same as he’s a one man band.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
My diner is closed for eating in, but open for pick-up. I'm tipping 33% on any pick up I do till this thing is over, and my DH and I will be dropping in most days. All the waitresses work for tips. This is killing them.

That's a good idea! We are terrible at cooking at home. We eat cheese, crackers, chicken salad, and light stuff made at home, like eggs and cottage cheese for dinner. My mom finds it appalling. I'm embarrassed to admit that while I can cook well, I rarely do. We pick up a lot of takeout normally.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Went grocery shopping today. No tp, paper towels, paper plates, paper napkins, eggs, chicken, turkey, or fish. Limited amounts of organic beef still there (some I have never bought) and some odd cuts of veal. Seafood counter was empty. Not a single banana, no onions and zero potatoes of any type. I don't understand. Seriously?

And are people using paper plates to go to the bathroom? Why are there none?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went grocery shopping today. No tp, paper towels, paper plates, paper napkins, eggs, chicken, turkey, or fish. Limited amounts of organic beef still there (some I have never bought) and some odd cuts of veal. Seafood counter was empty. Not a single banana, no onions and zero potatoes of any type. I don't understand. Seriously?

And are people using paper plates to go to the bathroom? Why are there none?

People are hoarding so many random things, and its so unnecessary. I have no idea what some people are thinking now. I feel like everyone has lost their minds! I had a co-worker go looking for 1 onion for a recipe, and went to 5 stores before giving up!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why are people hoarding eggs? They don't freeze, do they? We've now switched to online groceries with pick up service. So it takes up to 5 days to get them. Other than that we're doing okay. Today is the first time my DH worried about TP, lol. I said to order some, but I'm not personally worried. There are restrictions on how many of each item you can order, and I'm totally fine with that. We're cooking double as often as possible, putting the second one in the freezer.

eggs do freeze if you ditch the shell - but i only do that if the best before is fast approaching so we don't waste them - they are kind of ok for baking but good for frittatas
i think in the war grandma preserved them

cooking double is a great idea and so much more practicle than hoarding

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra @Daisys and Diamonds in my experience, eggs will last at least three months when stored in airtight containers in the fridge. Last week, I finished eggs I bought in December and they passed the float test beautifully.

I bought another dozen at the farmers market last week and immediately put them in airtight containers again. I eat so few eggs that they should last me another long while.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have stocked up on everything....and I do mean everything, but in my overly focused stocking frenzy I forgot to stock up on booze. I realized I wanted to have it just in case i wanted to, you know...forget there was a virus trying to kill everyone in the world.

What did i do?
:eek2:
This. What was I thinking?

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really hope the government/shops take control soon so shelves get back to some kind of normal level for everyone. The UK government has asked people to be considerate and I’ve had an email from the supermarket I usually shop at saying the same. But the time for polite requests has passed when shelves are bare of fresh produce and whole aisles of dry goods are empty. If people can’t be adult, sensible and considerate, then they just need to be treated like children and be told what they’re allowed to buy. And it’ll be the selfish people who have 104 toilet rolls and 98 bags of pasta who’ll be the first to complain about civil liberties, I bet.

Sorry, rant over, but we’re on a 14 day full quarantine and at the end of that my fridge, freezer and cupboards will all be seriously depleted (fresh produce down to zero and pretty close for dry/tinned goods). If I can’t restock at all because the shelves are bare, I’ll be seriously scared about how I’m supposed to feed my family. I’m putting in an online delivery order for the first available slot (there wasn’t one for 2 weeks when I booked an order for my mum last weekend and I’m sure it’s worse now) for fresh produce in case shelves are still bare, but at the present rate I have no confidence that they’ll have anything to deliver either.

Last edited:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So much for getting an online order in to get fresh food delivered after our quarantine... And this wait is just to get into the site to start the process.

Luckily I have nowhere I’m allowed to be today so at least time is on my side!

57A446A6-85A2-485A-B1D7-BED78091D9BE.jpeg

Edited to add: I’ve just re-read the small print. I took it at first to mean I couldn’t get a delivery slot in the next few days (which I’d assumed anyway) but I’m now thinking it means I can’t even place a new order for delivery in two weeks? I’m waiting to see which, more out of sheer disbelief than hope.

Last edited:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So much for getting an online order in to get fresh food delivered after our quarantine... And this wait is just to get into the site to start the process.

Edited to add: I’ve just re-read the small print. I took it at first to mean I couldn’t get a delivery slot in the next few days (which I’d assumed anyway) but I’m now thinking it means I can’t even place a new order for delivery in two weeks? I’m waiting to see which, more out of sheer disbelief than hope.

Wow! Just wow! I don't even know what to say. We're having some trouble getting groceries, including deliveries, but with a small family, we're dealing with it by just going out and getting things from local shops.

What position are you in the queue now? I assume some people will have dropped out?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I cannot get food delivery here either from Fresh Direct or other services. All time slots are sold out. There is no queue to sign up for either. It's surreal. I hope you are able to get the delivery you need @lissyflo

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People are hoarding so many random things, and its so unnecessary. I have no idea what some people are thinking now. I feel like everyone has lost their minds! I had a co-worker go looking for 1 onion for a recipe, and went to 5 stores before giving up!

This is what is scary beyond the virus. That people are panicking and hoarding and preventing others from getting what they need. IDK if this is untrue but I was told that markets are still getting deliveries and that they do not anticipate food shortages or supply chain interruptions but I guess we just won't know til we know if you kwim. Praying and hoping that everyone can get the food and supplies they need.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i went for a big walk yesterday
our online groceries can't be delivered till tomorrow and we ran out of milk
our suburb is a grid but with long curving roads so you can't see around the corner and i didn't so much get lost as made a lot of wrong turns
the smaller supermarket (more exspensive but still cheaper than a corner store) had a ton of Easter eggs - it seemed fully stocked like normal - i got bread and some meat
i wish i had thought to buy some bleech now

the government are running adds on tv to remind people to be kind
i wish your mom and dad would relocate to NJ with you
Could Greg make another of those auto feeders for your mom's ferels ?
that was Tibby a year ago

you must be a chip off the old block

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i went for a big walk yesterday
our online groceries can't be delivered till tomorrow and we ran out of milk
our suburb is a grid but with long curving roads so you can't see around the corner and i didn't so much get lost as made a lot of wrong turns
the smaller supermarket (more exspensive but still cheaper than a corner store) had a ton of Easter eggs - it seemed fully stocked like normal - i got bread and some meat
i wish i had thought to buy some bleech now

the government are running adds on tv to remind people to be kind
i wish your mom and dad would relocate to NJ with you
Could Greg make another of those auto feeders for your mom's ferels ?
that was Tibby a year ago

you must be a chip off the old block

Glad you got out for a nice walk and that you also have food delivery still and that your supermarkets had bread and eat and seemed fully stocked.

Greg could do an autofeeder for my parents but they wouldn't be able to properly operate it. They can barely use the mobile phones properly. The stories I could tell lol.

Our Mayor and Governor are having a disagreement right now about quarantining the entire city (not sure what that actually entails) and IDK if that means we would not be able to get to NJ to fill the feral feeders and to shop in NJ for food etc. I don't have the energy atm to pack up and leave to go to the shore house. I just don't feel comfortable leaving my parents here by themselves. IDK what to do. And now my toe nail is starting to grow in again and my podiatrist is in NJ and honestly I don't want to go there today because it isn't at the point yet but that could happen at any time and what if he has to close? I would be up the proverbial creek. However if I go to soon he won't be able to do anything. What a conundrum. The problem with this nail is one minute it's OK and the next it's an emergency. My podiatrist says that is how it goes with these issues.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Just wow! I don't even know what to say. We're having some trouble getting groceries, including deliveries, but with a small family, we're dealing with it by just going out and getting things from local shops.

What position are you in the queue now? I assume some people will have dropped out?

The queue did move faster than they’d said - I think it took about half an hour to get in. But they are not accepting any new orders however far in advance, you can only edit existing orders. Thankfully, on Monday as soon as I knew we’d be quarantined for two weeks, I’d booked an order for my mum - I’ve been doing her shopping and dropping it to her so she doesn’t have to go out and I wanted to make sure she was ok for food while we’re quarantined. So I’ve added some bits to her order and will drive to collect from outside her door, assuming the order actually goes ahead. The leadtime on Monday when I booked her delivery was two weeks, so things have escalated in the 2 days since then.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo glad you were able to book ahead and get your mom delivery. That is a huge relief.
Just took a screenshot of Freshdirect now. There is no future booking availability and it has looked like this all week (since I first went online and checked it out).

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 5.58.26 AM.png

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The supermarket shelves here are completely empty again!

I stocked up a bit after the last time, when the CV first surfaced in Asia. So far, I have a bit more rice, noodles, pasta, meats, fish, canned food, oatmeal. Can't really stock up on fruits & vegetables. So, I have just about 2 times what I normally order (my freezer and pantry are usually full/ nearly full anyway). Hopefully, that should suffice.

There's talk of the government possibly locking down the whole country! ;(

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you got out for a nice walk and that you also have food delivery still and that your supermarkets had bread and eat and seemed fully stocked.

Greg could do an autofeeder for my parents but they wouldn't be able to properly operate it. They can barely use the mobile phones properly. The stories I could tell lol.

Our Mayor and Governor are having a disagreement right now about quarantining the entire city (not sure what that actually entails) and IDK if that means we would not be able to get to NJ to fill the feral feeders and to shop in NJ for food etc. I don't have the energy atm to pack up and leave to go to the shore house. I just don't feel comfortable leaving my parents here by themselves. IDK what to do. And now my toe nail is starting to grow in again and my podiatrist is in NJ and honestly I don't want to go there today because it isn't at the point yet but that could happen at any time and what if he has to close? I would be up the proverbial creek. However if I go to soon he won't be able to do anything. What a conundrum. The problem with this nail is one minute it's OK and the next it's an emergency. My podiatrist says that is how it goes with these issues.

oh Missy thats no good
stupid nail - shake a fist and give it a boo hiss from me
im worried about going anywhere because last year we stayed home with Gary's eyes and didn't get sick all winter
but the car is due a warrent of fittness and i need to sort out our rates (property tax) rebate
Can you take a day trip down the shore to stock up the feeder ?

more and more people are getting groceries delivered - its hard to tell what's out of stock because when you order on line you only see what's in stock - our order is picked tomorrow and they will substitute if its in stock when the order was finalized and paid for which seeing that wa late Monday night it will be intetesting to see what we will get
Gary is particular about toilet paper but so long as we get some in my book is ok

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you take a day trip down the shore to stock up the feeder ?

Yes we have been doing that actually. Once every few weeks..we just filled the feral cat feeder less than a week ago.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I stocked up a bit after the last time, when the CV first surfaced in Asia. So far, I have a bit more rice, noodles, pasta, meats, fish, canned food, oatmeal. Can't really stock up on fruits & vegetables. So, I have just about 2 times what I normally order (my freezer and pantry are usually full/ nearly full anyway). Hopefully, that should suffice.

@Phoenix have you heard anything about supply chain interruptions by you? It could just be people panicking and hoarding food but that the supplies are fine and your supermarkets will get fresh food delivered soon. That is what they are telling me here at least. Hope that is true and that everyone gets the necessary food/supplies.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo glad you were able to book ahead and get your mom delivery. That is a huge relief.
Just took a screenshot of Freshdirect now. There is no future booking availability and it has looked like this all week (since I first went online and checked it out).

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 5.58.26 AM.png

I’m not sure what the answer is but, when over 70s are being told to fully isolate but they can’t even book food deliveries for any time in the next few weeks (and it’s happening on two different continents!), something most certainly needs to be done.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I found it a good compromise in times of corona.

I am very picky about fruit and vegetables and usually buy every other day (we have several local organic farm stands on our markets etc ). I have bought frozen vegetables and fruit from a high end specialized frozen food chain. They are quite good quality wise. Nutrition-wise they might not be on par, just pretty close to fresh.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure what the answer is but, when over 70s are being told to fully isolate but they can’t even book food deliveries for any time in the next few weeks (and it’s happening on two different continents!), something most certainly needs to be done.

Yes something has to be done. I mean the governments won't let the people who have to be isolated starve. It is very sobering.
:/

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix have you heard anything about supply chain interruptions by you? It could just be people panicking and hoarding food but that the supplies are fine and your supermarkets will get fresh food delivered soon. That is what they are telling me here at least. Hope that is true and that everyone gets the necessary food/supplies.

Well, Malaysia from whom we source a lot of our products went on complete lockdown at the weekend. AND people here are afraid we'll do the same too. Hence, the panic-buying, despite the Trade Minister reassuring everyone that supply chains will not be interrupted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results