shape
carat
color
clarity

COVID19: What are you stocking up on?

MissCygne

Rough_Rock
I feel ridiculous, but I ordered a new thermometer (my old one had a dead battery) and a pulse oximeter (surprisingly not out of stock anywhere).

I want data if I’m taking care of my parents.

We ordered a new thermometer and a pulse oximeter last week.
The health care system in our area will be rapidly overwhelmed once cases increase. So we are being told that we may be on our own at home.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I haven’t stock up on anything.
Yesterday, my grocery store was much busier than usual. Except for the TP, tissues and paper towels (which had lower than usual supplies) all the other shelves were very well stocked.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought we had unopened bottles of ibuprofen and acetaminophen but I just checked and nope none of that here. Somehow we have no ibuprofen, no aspirin and no Tylenol. Granted I don't take these drugs and while my dh does he used it all up during the last year mainly because of his knee replacement surgery for pain relief. Just went online and it seems they are OOS everywhere. I ordered from one website and hopefully it will get shipped and delivered in a timely fashion. Just in case because it is important to have some meds on hand to bring down a fever should it be necessary.

So PSA from me though I am sure most of you have already prepared regarding this: please make sure you have something in stock at home should you need it to bring down a fever. I thought we had but we did not so if you have not checked please do.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t stock up on anything.
Yesterday, my grocery store was much busier than usual. Except for the TP, tissues and paper towels (which had lower than usual supplies) all the other shelves were very well stocked.

Good to hear your grocery store is well stocked. :appl:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought we had unopened bottles of ibuprofen and acetaminophen but I just checked and nope none of that here. Somehow we have no ibuprofen, no aspirin and no Tylenol. Granted I don't take these drugs and while my dh does he used it all up during the last year mainly because of his knee replacement surgery for pain relief. Just went online and it seems they are OOS everywhere. I ordered from one website and hopefully it will get shipped and delivered in a timely fashion. Just in case because it is important to have some meds on hand to bring down a fever should it be necessary.

So PSA from me though I am sure most of you have already prepared regarding this: please make sure you have something in stock at home should you need it to bring down a fever. I thought we had but we did not so if you have not checked please do.

@missy I know you are usually extremely well informed, but there's a lot of info floating around regarding anti inflammatories. Some of which have details that were debunked as fake news, however the main concern regarding otc anti inflammatories is apparently real.

Official take on it here in France is: stay with paracetamol for fever and pain relief. Anti inflammatories can hide symptoms from the treating doctors and should be avoided as most severe complications occur because patients often come in only when their lungs are already irreversibly scarred.

My pharmacist and a friend who is anaesthesiologist in the ER confirmed this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I know you are usually extremely well informed, but there's a lot of info floating around regarding anti inflammatories. Some of which have details that were debunked as fake news, however the main concern regarding otc anti inflammatories is apparently real.

Official take on it here in France is: stay with paracetamol for fever and pain relief. Anti inflammatories can hide symptoms from the treating doctors and should be avoided as most severe complications occur because patients often come in only when their lungs are already irreversibly scarred.

My pharmacist and a friend who is anaesthesiologist in the ER confirmed this.

Thank you @kipari. Generally I’m not supposed to take any pain meds but if I get Covid-19 I might risk it and take paracetamol. As long as I can get it that is. We will see if my order gets delivered.

Be well and thanks again. ❤️

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I got Tylenol, ibuprofen, mucinex, cough drops, tissues, Vick’s vapo-rub, and cough suppressant. Oh, and some throat lozenges. Basically what I would want for a really bad respiratory bug. I also made sure we had prescription meds.

Now, we are completely screwed with regards to toilet paper. People have lost their damn minds.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Our grocery stores have no toilet paper, no cleaning products with bleach, and very little in the way of pasta, potatoes, rice. Not sure about meat. It’s madness.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy - same here, realized we had no children's tylenol. I went to CVS at 5 am. I was the only shopper!!! They were fully stocked with pain medications in three locations - infant aisle, children's aisle and regular pain meds aisle. Sold out on Amazon.com. Strange times!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy - same here, realized we had no children's tylenol. I went to CVS at 5 am. I was the only shopper!!! They were fully stocked with pain medications in three locations - infant aisle, children's aisle and regular pain meds aisle. Sold out on Amazon.com. Strange times!!

Glad you were able to get some! Nothing here. Strange times indeed!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got Tylenol, ibuprofen, mucinex, cough drops, tissues, Vick’s vapo-rub, and cough suppressant. Oh, and some throat lozenges. Basically what I would want for a really bad respiratory bug. I also made sure we had prescription meds.

Now, we are completely screwed with regards to toilet paper. People have lost their damn minds.

They sure have! I know it’s based on fear but people buying all the supplies are hurting their neighbors and fellow humans. I hope sanity takes hold sooner rather than later!

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
We are doing our normal every two weeks shopping and all the stores in our area are empty. Shelves are empty of everything. I don’t understand why people are doing this. Am I missing something?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the stores in my area actually get restocked overnight. Costco gets a shipment pretty much nightly I think people at this point feel like they can make money from tragedy, buy a bunch of TP, alcohol, OTC drugs and sell it online Now you have people that have sunk lots of money into things they're not even able to sell because EOC kicks in for lots of states which also means that price gouging on essential supplies is VERY illegal.

If anyone sees price gouging either online (especially ebay, its just gross there), please report it in your state ASAP. its the only way we can get on top of it and keep it that way.

Regarding letting coughs run their course, many with any type of lung disease will have to teeter a fine line with this.

While I'm over the flu I'm in the crud stage. I've had several asthma attacks as I've stopped taking niquil and other cough meds.

I'm drinking lots and lots of fluids to thin the mucus which is super important, also (and this will sound gross) I'm insuring that what does come out is clear. Dark yellow or greenish yellow means an infection is brewing which makes things really dangerous right now

I'm also making sure I'm on top of using my inhaler (asthmatics, please insure you can get your rescue inhaler or inhaled nebulizer meds and a spare if need be!) Unlike some, I can't take inhaled steriods which cause lots of pain in my mouth afterwards but asthmatics or those with COPD should make sure they stay on top of that as much as possible. I'm going to ask Doc to write me a script for nebulizer meds as I have one here.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are things I wish I had, like Lysol spray disinfectant, or even just bleach. On the other hand, we have lots of wipes and other cleaning supplies. We have enough food for several days. I don't want to risk anyone going out. I do believe that there will be enough stock of everything eventually.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far, so good! Time will tell.:confused:

We had to go to the market and they had TP and paper towels in abundant supply. Hope everyone that needs it can find it now. I also managed to get a bottle of Tylenol so woohoo. Fingers crossed the madness calms down and people get calmer and stop stockpiling stuff so everyone can get what they need!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are things I wish I had, like Lysol spray disinfectant, or even just bleach. On the other hand, we have lots of wipes and other cleaning supplies. We have enough food for several days. I don't want to risk anyone going out. I do believe that there will be enough stock of everything eventually.

@lyra perhaps the stores by you have them in stock now. Every store by us was out but today Lysol spray was available again.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the stores in my area actually get restocked overnight. Costco gets a shipment pretty much nightly I think people at this point feel like they can make money from tragedy, buy a bunch of TP, alcohol, OTC drugs and sell it online Now you have people that have sunk lots of money into things they're not even able to sell because EOC kicks in for lots of states which also means that price gouging on essential supplies is VERY illegal.

If anyone sees price gouging either online (especially ebay, its just gross there), please report it in your state ASAP. its the only way we can get on top of it and keep it that way.

Regarding letting coughs run their course, many with any type of lung disease will have to teeter a fine line with this.

While I'm over the flu I'm in the crud stage. I've had several asthma attacks as I've stopped taking niquil and other cough meds.

I'm drinking lots and lots of fluids to thin the mucus which is super important, also (and this will sound gross) I'm insuring that what does come out is clear. Dark yellow or greenish yellow means an infection is brewing which makes things really dangerous right now

I'm also making sure I'm on top of using my inhaler (asthmatics, please insure you can get your rescue inhaler or inhaled nebulizer meds and a spare if need be!) Unlike some, I can't take inhaled steriods which cause lots of pain in my mouth afterwards but asthmatics or those with COPD should make sure they stay on top of that as much as possible. I'm going to ask Doc to write me a script for nebulizer meds as I have one here.

I am glad you are feeling better @Arcadian! yes it is illegal to price gouge and our Mayor wants it reported ASAP. So far I haven't seen any local price gouging which is nice. It's terrible when people want to make money off the misery and tragedy of others. Unconscionable. :( That guy who stocked up on tens of thousands of Purell and then tried selling it on Amazon for many times the price...shame on him!:angryfire:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Our stores haven't been able to keep up at all. Maybe in another week or two. People are travelling great distances to buy up everything, it's awful and I don't want to engage with those sorts.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Our stores haven't been able to keep up at all. Maybe in another week or two. People are travelling great distances to buy up everything, it's awful and I don't want to engage with those sorts.

No, you are smart to stay away. I hope when the panic lessens (and hope that will be soon) supplies will rise again and the stores will be less crowded and it will be safer for you (or better yet your DH) to get supplies.

We're supposed to let fevers run their course, and avoid cough suppressants so that we can naturally clear our lungs as long as we can. This is tough news.

Yeah definitely tough news as if I let myself cough I could break a vertebrae so I will probably take a cough suppressant should I need to...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Yes, we can only do so much. If you can't cough, you need to take suppressants. I had to take ventolin today because I got a sudden asthma attack.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was already stocked up on about everything...the only thing I had to get was more meat, that was low and dang that was difficult to find especially chicken...gonna send hubby out to the meat store tomorrow to try and get some more chicken and more hamburger..other than that we are good on everything, I have a small stockpile from years of couponing and I have already started sharing some of it with my neighbors and I did find some diapers and wipes for my grand daughter in case my son and his wife run out

MissCygne

Rough_Rock
We are doing our normal every two weeks shopping and all the stores in our area are empty. Shelves are empty of everything. I don’t understand why people are doing this. Am I missing something?

I can only speak for myself and for my family, we are preparing for the delays in shipping (most of our food and necessities are imported to our state), the chain of supply and materials supply disruption.
We are also following closely the parallel trend, that we are seeing with the US and Italy.
We are preparing physically, emotionally, and psychologically, for the potential of lockdown in our area and quarantine.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep all ps friends un my thoughts! I know you guys are very careful and I'm sending good vibes across the miles virtues û((hugs))

You can get bleach tablets cheaply and overnight on Amazon. I always have a big jar as it doesn't take up room. It's antiviral antifungal antibacterial

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kipari I'm in Canada. Amazon is becoming useless to us. I do think we'll have better stocks in stores soon.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kipari I'm in Canada. Amazon is becoming useless to us. I do think we'll have better stocks in stores soon.

Fingers crossed for you!

I went shopping friday here in France and all stores are fully stocked - except for head sanitizer of which I have a 500 ml clinical grade bottle. There was even more stuff than usually. I hope it stays that way.

My usual groceries for 9 people in this household look like hoarding to onlookers, I'm sure, but we go through A LOT of food . So while I quarantine the kids, I'll still have to go out shopping. I don't like it...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its interesting, most of my neighbors have chlorine pools. I think most of them have stocked up on their needed supplies, and I do know a few that have a pool guy come in and take care of things.

which brings into question, can this virus survive in that environment? I'm guessing maybe not especially if the pool has the proper amount of chlorine in it + direct UV from sunlight. But one never knows, its certainly not discussed anywhere I've seen.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its interesting, most of my neighbors have chlorine pools. I think most of them have stocked up on their needed supplies, and I do know a few that have a pool guy come in and take care of things.

which brings into question, can this virus survive in that environment? I'm guessing maybe not especially if the pool has the proper amount of chlorine in it + direct UV from sunlight. But one never knows, its certainly not discussed anywhere I've seen.

“ If drinking water supplies or swimming pools are being chlorinated in accordance with current recommendations / best practice is this sufficient to inactivate COVID-19 virus?
For Drinking Water chlorination, ‘current recommendations’ is taken to mean a Ct value of at least
For Swimming Pool chlorination, operating to ‘current recommendations / best practice’ means maintenance of a free chlorine residual of at least 1.0 mg/l (depending on pool type and disinfectant
2, 6
Answer:
Yes - adherence to current recommended disinfection practice is sufficient to inactivate COVID-19 virus in chlorinated drinking water and swimming pools”

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers crossed for you!

I went shopping friday here in France and all stores are fully stocked - except for head sanitizer of which I have a 500 ml clinical grade bottle. There was even more stuff than usually. I hope it stays that way.

My usual groceries for 9 people in this household look like hoarding to onlookers, I'm sure, but we go through A LOT of food . So while I quarantine the kids, I'll still have to go out shopping. I don't like it...

Well be careful. You got kidlets so you do as you must. If I have to go out it will be early morning only. I won't risk going out any other time because lots of people at the moment are still going to work. As in the mode of doing volume meals that will stretch over several days, but we do go through tons of vegetables. That said, I still try to visit the farm stand as much when they're open because at least the food is locally grown (west and central FL has lots of farmland) so that money stays in the local economy. but, I will certainly go to prepackaged frozen if I have to.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results