shape
carat
color
clarity

COVID19: What are you stocking up on?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gradually starting stocking up 3-4 weeks ago by adding a little more to my cart than usual. I initially did this because others were panicking and starting to deplete supplies so I wanted to have enough should the stores not be able to keep up. More recently, I did this because it seems inevitable that we will have to stay close to home for a period of time (and we have an immunosuppressed child so limiting our exposure is all the more likely). I did it slowly over time so that I didn't contribute to the mass depletion and left some for others, while acquiring a store for my family.

I got extra TP, tissues, sanitizer and antibacterial soaps, canned goods (soups, beans, tuna), bone broth, pastas and sauces, white vinegar, distilled water (we find humidifiers help a great deal when sick), elderberry syrup, Vitamin C (read that high doses helps with Covid-19), B12, and... that's about it I think.

These are all things I use on a regular basis so if we don't need to self-quarantine or isolate we'll use it all up at some point. Well, I don't use antibacterial hand soap because it makes several of us raw over time, but we can use it a little here and there (I do keep one bottle in our downstairs bath alongside the regular handsoap for those times when we really need that extra oomph.)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't stockpiled anything. I bought a pack of TP because we were out, but only one. I bought a couple packs of sausage (chicken) because we didn't have any.

My sons went to our local grocery store last night and said it was pretty empty. I think it is crazy and people are losing it. I kinda feel like Kenny, if I get it, I get it. If I die, I die. I don't worry about things I have no control over, or really anything. I am pretty sure we won't starve to death even if this went on for over a month. I am not really changing my routine at all. I am pretty much a home body.
I do have allergies, so I have a stock of decongestants. I have some extra bones in the freezer to make bone broth. I can fast easily and that is my usual protocol if I get sick. I get better quicker when my body doesn't have to digest food.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted this in the other thread but just as a public service announcement, if you have medications that are essential but insurance refuses to give you more than a month supply, you can ask your doctor for an extra prescription and pay for it out of pocket, check goodrx.com for coupon and where you might get it cheapest. Also some meds can be safely cut in half, and you can talk to your doc about possible prescribing a higher dosage (which is often not much more expensive) that you can cut in half to make it more affordable out of pocket.

If it's something super expensive and branded, I'd chat with your doctor about potential possible back up med options in case of supply chain/staffing disruption. Meds that are very expensive and niche are sometimes more vulnerable to this, I've in the past had families driving state to state to get their meds when there have been shortages.

Again, I"m optimistic our country's health care resources will be able to keep up as long as everyone practices good common sense with hygiene and social distancing to slow transmission. But i'm also a "hope for the best, plan for the worst" kind of person. And getting an extra month supply of meds you absolutely need to stay healthy I think is a reasonable precaution for both you and to help reserve hospital resources by keeping yourself out of needing to be in front of a doctor.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have nothing extra. Not because I don't want or need it, but partly because things are sold out. In Canada, everything is much more expensive than the US and we don't have drive through pharmacies or even a lot of grocery deliveries. Grocery deliveries charge 20% more per item too. We eat a lot of fresh produce and fresh meats. We rarely eat bread. Carbs aren't a good thing for us. So I don't know. I guess we'll see how it goes. I'm not in charge of anything anymore, as I'm isolating at home. They say the peak of the virus will be in June.

MissCygne

Rough_Rock
I am so sorry for your loss @VRBeauty and no I understand how you might be feeling. Not selfish and not strange.

Dear Missy, I empathize with how you are feeling.
I lost my father 5 years ago, and am thankful that he is sleeping peacefully. He suffered from PTSD, so would have struggled greatly with anxiety.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few weeks ago I made sure to stock up on:

Vitamin C
cold medicine
ibuprofen
kids’ liquid ibuprofen
toilet paper
paper towels
hand soap
hand sanitizing wipes (could not find liquid hand sanitizer anywhere)
shampoo and body wash (can also be used to wash hands in a soap shortage)
diapers and baby wipes
bread
peanut butter
canned tuna

I’m really glad I bought this stuff then, because now some of it is getting virtually impossible to find. :(

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have are usual healthy stockpile of toilet paper, paper towels, and laundry/cleaning supplies. We have a cabinet of masks and gloves from the Ebola scare. Besides that I picked up some ham, canned beans, dry milk and pasta. I figure I can feed DH beans and rice, pasta and bread for about 3 weeks.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
In the US here:

I'm just shopping enough to last 2 weeks at a time. And it's not hard to do at Costco, lol.

I'm a bit concerned about the run on toilet paper. I think the entire country seems to be OOS at the moment. Maybe now it's the time to buy and install a bidet toilet seat :think:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[/QUOTE]
A few weeks ago I made sure to stock up on:

ibuprofen
kids’ liquid ibuprofen

My pharmacists told me explicitly they don't recommend ibuprofen for viral infections. They told me to stock up on paracetamol instead.
(I went in to ask if they had any specific recommendation for stocking up on meds).
Maybe double check with your pharmacist and or a doctor. Just a heads up, since they seemed to be very passionate about the topic...

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm a bit concerned about the run on toilet paper. I think the entire country seems to be OOS at the moment. Maybe now it's the time to buy and install a bidet toilet seat :think:
I'm starting to wonder if bidet is the way to go, all this TP shortage is giving me anxiety.

I did some shopping last week but I keep worrying it's not enough. We have 2 little ones so we usually go through fresh fruits and things pretty quick. I'm feeling so much anxiety, I might go organize my pantry just to keep me busy.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We aren't really going out of the way to stock up. Lots of food in the freezer . I did just get eggs, handwashing soap, clothes soap, bottled water, and cheese delivered from Costco. We are always able to fend at home for at least two months with what we have on hand. I do not need to go out amongst the hysterical masses. The delivery guy did tell me that the fire marshal is limiting the number of people going into Costco at a time so I'm glad I didn't go. Too darn cold today to stand outside.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:mrgreen2:
id try a kibble for $10 :mrgreen2:
but no way would our hungersoids even think of shearing :mrgreen2:

Don’t be shocked but when my daughter was a toddler I had to ring the manufacturer of dog kibble to find out if I needed to take my daughter to the doctor or hospital as I’d caught her chowing down at the dog bowl. Apparently she had often ate it unbeknownst to me.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I'm starting to wonder if bidet is the way to go, all this TP shortage is giving me anxiety.

I did some shopping last week but I keep worrying it's not enough. We have 2 little ones so we usually go through fresh fruits and things pretty quick. I'm feeling so much anxiety, I might go organize my pantry just to keep me busy.

Maybe I'm just being naive, but I really do believe stocking up is more for minimizing the need to go to public places, rather than we will truly be running out of food, supplies, etc.

I have a little one too. I just keep telling myself that children seem to fare better with COVID-19 than other age groups.

(((((Hugs)))))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don’t be shocked but when my daughter was a toddler I had to ring the manufacturer of dog kibble to find out if I needed to take my daughter to the doctor or hospital as I’d caught her chowing down at the dog bowl. Apparently she had often ate it unbeknownst to me.

i guess the important thing was that the dear dog remember to serve her water with her meal
(as for myself - i had to make do with dirt from the garden as we didn't have a dog)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe I'm just being naive, but I really do believe stocking up is more for minimizing the need to go to public places, rather than we will truly be running out of food, supplies, etc.

I have a little one too. I just keep telling myself that children seem to fare better with COVID-19 than other age groups.

(((((Hugs)))))

i don't know how true it is but i read somewhere ?? that no little kiddies have died from the virus
that the usual U curve that we see in the flu season is completly one sided for this one

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We aren't really going out of the way to stock up. Lots of food in the freezer . I did just get eggs, handwashing soap, clothes soap, bottled water, and cheese delivered from Costco. We are always able to fend at home for at least two months with what we have on hand. I do not need to go out amongst the hysterical masses. The delivery guy did tell me that the fire marshal is limiting the number of people going into Costco at a time so I'm glad I didn't go. Too darn cold today to stand outside.

OMG ! they deliver ?
why are people even going there ?
i finally got to see a Costco shop on the news last night - a very orderly line snaking all around the carpark

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG ! they deliver ?
i finally got to see a Costco shop on the news last night - a very orderly line snaking all around the carpark

They do through Instacart, an online delivery service. I'd never used it before until this week. The items are a bit higher than if you go to the store, but it's worth it to me not to have to go myself. Three of the things I wanted were not in stock though.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
ETA: I did get an extra supply of one of my most critical meds. I don't know how (because generally they deny everything) but my insurance company gave me an extra few months of my generic Cytomel that I take every 4 hours during the day so whew re that med. I also have an extra month of my NDT should I need it but I had that extra before Covid-19. I do not have (nor did I try to get) an extra supply of my other meds as they are not as critical as my Cytomel and I didn't want to be greedy. I am relieved I have extra Cytomel and that is enough for me.

Missy ! i saw a Costco on tv news last night - i got so excitted !
i did look for you :mrgreen2:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not stocking up more than usual. My husband is a bit of a hoarder and we have plenty of food as it is.

Fun fact though, if you want to keep eggs fresh for a long time, place them in an airtight container. I've had them pass the float test three months later using this method. I'm sure it would be nice to have something fresh if we are quarantined.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They do through Instacart, an online delivery service. I'd never used it before until this week. The items are a bit higher than if you go to the store, but it's worth it to me not to have to go myself. Three of the things I wanted were not in stock though.

I love Instacart but not right now. They are out of too many things so it makes sending Instacart in more challenging. Though it beats the alternative if you do not want to go to the stores yourself.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG ! they deliver ?

Personally, under more usual circumstances, I prefer doing the shopping vs using a service because I like to choose my produce. However when Greg was recovering from TKR I used them a few times and it was a good experience. Now not as great an experience but it isn't their fault. It is because of the CV crisis.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have basics; its like hurricane prep. Schools closed for an extra week ahead of spring break. Making sure we have necessities for the quarantine! 20200313_174351.jpg

Yummmm!!! I want to come over to your house.:lickout:

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Don't forget coffee! I won't be able to survive 2 weeks with toddlers without coffee!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
impossible to fnd a parking spot at my usual market - gave up and will try to get there by 6:15am tomorrow morning - my sister said it was insane at her grocery market this afternoon

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Instacart but not right now. They are out of too many things so it makes sending Instacart in more challenging. Though it beats the alternative if you do not want to go to the stores yourself.

I have never used it by itself for other stores. I went through Costco same day delivery. You have to pay for Instacart if you use it through their website right? I don't know enough about the service other than through Costco and I didn't order much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results