shape
carat
color
clarity

Cordelia the 2.81 OMC and her sartorial namesake by CVB

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
There are some twists and turns as to how this whole piece came about so feel free to skip to the pics!

There is an antique ring that has lived in the “ring inspo” folder in my phone for 8 years. That ring is actually the one that lead me to create the folder in the first place and the first pic was screenshot in July of 2014 according to my iPhone.

Since then, there have been many life changes both personally and professionally. In the beginning of 2022, I started thinking more seriously about getting this ring finally made as a RHR. It involved an OMC as the center stone so I started looking for an OMC around 8mm. I thought I had found it when I bought a beautiful OMC (2.81 ct GIA N) from Alex Park. Once I had the diamond in hand, I started having second thoughts about the setting. I think sometimes, especially with old cuts, the stone dictates the setting. While I didn’t mind the warmth of this OMC per se (it throws out all kinds of romantic pastels), it felt too warm for the setting I had in mind and its faceting almost too neat. The inspo setting I had in mind required bezeling the center stone and this particular stone screamed out for prongs to me. I needed a touch whiter and more rustic (perhaps one with a bigger culet with more prominent kozibe) OMC for the original setting. I still loved its brightness, the squarish pillowy shape, the chunky crown and the crispness of the faceting so I decided to keep it and figure out a different setting for it.

So then came the dilemma. I didn’t want a solitaire as this will be a RHR and I have SO many inspo rings in my trusty folder and wanted so many different rings, I couldn’t make up my mind!

- Do I want a 3 stone? I’ve always wanted one!

- A heart shaped cluster? It would be perfect for the romantic feel of this stone but perhaps too much for something I intend to wear almost daily?

- Something with pearls? Pearls would be a great complement to the warm pastel tones of this OMC but once again, perhaps not great for daily wear.

Then a lightbulb went off and I remembered that Caysie of CVB ID had come up with the brilliant idea of halo clips a few years back. Why choose one when I can have all 3 with halo clips!?! I had reached out to her for a quote on the original setting so I contacted her again to see if she was still making the clips. She replied, “Absolutely I’m creating the halo clips. What do you have in mind?”

I summarized my ideas with inspo pics and sent it to her like so:
8067F6B9-E58B-4E94-921E-21CB9D8A0D03.jpeg

I also sent her a pic of an antique starburst diamond/pearl brooch I had and asked if the stones and the pearls can be repurposed for #3. She said her bench would have to take a look first but that she would try.

That very day, I sent off the OMC and the brooch to Caysie and got in queue for her design process.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Caysie suggested finalizing the production of the 3 stone first to get the exact measurements needed for the halo clips. We decided to set the stone East-West and I mentioned that I really liked the basket of her Marjorie soli and the petite split shank of her Norah band. She told me that Marjorie had just became a 3 stone design a month ago! When she sent me the pics, it was exactly what I had envisioned (side stones tucked in a bit and it even had the petite split shank I wanted) and I just asked that the side stones have 6 prongs. For the center stone, I was fine with 8 or 10, whichever looked best for the stone. During all of this, I realized that I was sacrificing the look of the main 3 stone by keeping the side stones so small. I still wanted the side stones to be more like accent stones with less than full edge-to-edge finger coverage and not a “wall of bling” but I felt that TOO small side stones were doing a disservice to the whole 3 stone look. So I doodled around and sent her the pic below and we determined that the side stones would be about 3.75mm each.
937AB23D-4C31-4935-82EF-7B0EF0E7D952.jpeg

Unfortunately, Caysie’s bench was unable to save the pearls from the brooch. I pondered for a bit and told her that I would be interested in doing the 2nd clip with my kids’ birthstones instead. I came up with a pretty elaborate and substantial design that I loved but ultimately, I ended up asking her to put a pause on the birthstone halo clip until the heart halo clip was completed to see how it felt, and wore on the hand. Caysie agreed that the design may be too big in size for a halo clip and thought that it may be better suited as a separate contour band. So this part of the project is still on hold for now. I want to live with the heart halo clip for at least a few months before making a decision.

Over the next several months the CADs for the 3 stone were finalized and went into production. After the 3 stone was completed and shipped out to me, Caysie and I went over the design of the heart halo and it also went into production once the CADs were approved.

I went with ring size 7 as that would allow me to wear it on 4 fingers - pointer and middle finger of both of my hands. I wanted to maximize my wearability options! I can also wear it on my ring finger using a clear silicone/plastic ring sizer and have done so once in a while.

Special thank you to @lulu_ma , @Mreader and @Cerulean for being excited with me about this project and chatting with me about it!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Get ready for a BARRAGE of pictures because I am obsessed with this ring and have taken a ton of pictures in the 7 months I’ve had it.

First up, the three stone ring:
- Center - 2.81 ct GIA N SI1 Faint Fluor (8.23 x 8.10 x 5.98 mm)
- Sides - 2 OECs approx .45 ctw (3.75mm each)
- Platinum - high polish for the prongs and the baskets/donuts, soft brushed for the shank

Here are the glamour shots from Caysie.
4241C97A-3DFE-4892-B1F7-42E9A99E8999.jpeg
The tiny, delicate prongs, the proportions, the petite split shank, the profile… I honestly love everything about this 3 stone and I wouldn’t change a thing. I know the contrast between the low color of the center stone and the higher color of the side stones will bother some people but I actually love it for this ring! The contrast adds another layer of visual interest to my eyes and furthers the contrast of the 2 different finishes. Perhaps I would feel differently if the side stones were more substantial in size or if this had been an engagement ring.

Here are my pics.

The details of the setting.
7804A450-DB16-4638-A6F6-06F7A6099308.jpeg

This stone is such a bright chameleon!
76BBF416-5872-4EE2-9454-FF675B2B38D6.jpeg
4A3C8CBF-C33D-4010-BF4B-98437F66DDD8.jpeg
27B4E043-7BEA-45AC-8B11-F6C4A05959A4.jpeg
5FA4FBE1-3AFC-468E-936A-82C1BF85207A.jpeg
DB51FE26-8FE6-404E-A4A1-0C35B7A1E5BE.jpeg
6F46CDA8-3444-4619-9BA8-1CBDFDBF102C.jpeg

Here is a video if you aren’t sick of this ring yet.
This shows the details of the ring/setting pretty well - video taken indoors under natural daylight by a window

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Next, the heart halo clip!

Here is how it went from my doodle, to Caysie’s design, to the CAD, then to the casting. Caysie took the extra step of putting the wax model of the ring together with the casting of the halo clip to ensure the perfect fit before setting the melee.
B50B3D95-1B75-4971-A078-1FF264F42702.jpeg

Pics of the halo clip:
FA4569A1-406B-4CC2-97FE-5086AACD6104.jpeg

Here is Cordelia in her full sartorial splendor. The halo clip fits perfectly and is very comfortable so far. As a 3 stone, I have been wearing it mostly on my left index finger. As a heart cluster, I will be wearing it more as a RHR (it’s just easier to take pics of it on my left hand).
08D283EA-07DD-4665-AC6F-8BD7B632CEA0.jpeg
7F193F01-E6E4-4034-9B8C-E95259BF0A18.jpeg

Here is a video with and without the halo clip:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I have been waiting for this thread!

I love Cordelia in all her forms. She’s a beautiful girl in her three stone form, but the heart clip turns her into an absolute siren!

Another glorious addition to your enviable collection! :clap:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I have been waiting for this thread!

I love Cordelia in all her forms. She’s a beautiful girl in her three stone form, but the heart clip turns her into an absolute siren!

Another glorious addition to your enviable collection! :clap:

Thank you as always! ❤️ I will probably wear her with the heart clip a lot this month for Valentine’s Day lol

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhh myyyyyy gooooddddnnnessss! It is AMAZING!! Beautiful. That diamond and the setting and clip are just perfect!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9A441437-ADB6-463E-A0C7-6549691B4102.gif

I’m freaking obsessed with this ring. I swear, every time I see it on Instagram, I start drooling. It is an incredible 3 stone ring, with the perfect size side stones…and it makes a gorgeous heart shaped ring. I love that you can have the best of both worlds. Oh, and that freaking diamond kills me. Seriously, I adore this ring. :kiss2:

How does the halo clip work? Does it actually “snap” into place or is it more held in place once on your finger?

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhhh myyyyyy gooooddddnnnessss! It is AMAZING!! Beautiful. That diamond and the setting and clip are just perfect!

Thank you! I love all of your rings you’ve done with Caysie and cannot WAIT to see your current project!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
9A441437-ADB6-463E-A0C7-6549691B4102.gif

I’m freaking obsessed with this ring. I swear, every time I see it on Instagram, I start drooling. It is an incredible 3 stone ring, with the perfect size side stones…and it makes a gorgeous heart shaped ring. I love that you can have the best of both worlds. Oh, and that freaking diamond kills me. Seriously, I adore this ring. :kiss2:

How does the halo clip work? Does it actually “snap” into place or is it more held in place once on your finger?

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!

It doesn’t exactly “snap” into place but because the baskets of the side stones get bigger/wider as it goes up, it does fit snuggly in place. I think this will vary based on the design of the base ring as well as the halo clip. I specifically asked for a flush fit design with no big airline so it definitely stays in place with no real movement. But I can imagine that if there are no side stones, or perhaps bezeled side stones where the basket is the same circumference all the way up, it may not be as a tight fit.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely stunning. It's both whimsical and classic, effortlessly beautiful and so versatile. What an amazing piece! It took a lot of creativity (from you) and Caysie to arrive at the final destination!

Thank you!!! This design is indeed so versatile and I can come up with so many additional clip ideas but the funds are a major barrier :lol:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Holy, that 3 stone is absolute perfection!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Omg incredible!!!! I love it and I’m so glad he finally made a thread!

Thank you!! Work is going to get crazy starting next week so I figured I should get this done today :lol:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowsers!!!!!!!!
All of it!

It’s amazing & i have never seen one of these clips before!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How beautiful and creative! That ring has so much versatility that you will never be bored with it. What a wonderful collaboration between you and Cassie - love it!!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
WOW- Gorgeous!! the clip is so beautiful executed! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@oldcutclubmember Love this 'behind the scenes' - I was wondering how your ring and clip worked! Is it comfortable to wear and is there any chance the clip could fall off?

Will you be commission a clip with the birthstones now too? :evil2:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
How beautiful and creative! That ring has so much versatility that you will never be bored with it. What a wonderful collaboration between you and Cassie - love it!!

Thank you! It really is so versatile and even just the 3 stone on its own is so stackable that I am having a lot of fun wearing it.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunningly beautiful

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
@oldcutclubmember Love this 'behind the scenes' - I was wondering how your ring and clip worked! Is it comfortable to wear and is there any chance the clip could fall off?

Will you be commission a clip with the birthstones now too? :evil2:

It is actually very comfortable to wear and you don’t really even feel it at all! The clip cannot fall off because it goes up acting as walls around the shoulder and/or the side stones. I think it COULD fall off if the ring was 3 sizes too big or something but that wouldn’t be the case lol

Now that I have the heart halo clip, I totally get what Caysie meant when she said my idea for the birthstones may be too big in size to be worked as a halo clip. I think logistically, it is too big and substantial of a design for the halo clip. It may work as a full on wrap that goes over the whole ring like a Jessica McCormack Party Jacket like this one https://www.jessicamccormack.com/new-york-party-jacket
I am still very much thinking about a contour band though!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
That 3 stone is perfection and the idea of the heart halo clip is genius!! I love everything about it and you can get so many different looks with it!! This gives us heaps of options for future halo designs, thank you for sharing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results