shape
carat
color
clarity

Color vs Carat thoughts-did i make right decision?!

What one do you like??

• Total voters

Ereeg

Rough_Rock
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4089366,4065507

1.324 I SI1 ACA on far left, 1.26 G GSI1 ES middle

I decided on the 1.324 I SI1 ACA. Now I might want the 1.26 G GSI1 ES. Would you give up 0.16mm (.06 ct) to get a G color over I color (it is $650 more for the smaller G)? Still H and A but not super ideal for the smaller G. I went to Tiffany's yesterday to get a better grasp on color and the I color diamonds still looked pretty white to me, a bit "warmer" but challenging to see large difference-the sales rep said he could see it easily. But this was under the LED lights of course.. It's going in platinum. I was sure I color was ok with me, not sure about her color sensitivity and this is surprise so can't ask, but now I am starting to wonder if giving up that size is worth the color upgrade?

Also, would this light leakage (green) be noticeable in person?

Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 10.24.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 10.27.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 10.27.34 AM.png

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Size is generally more noticeable than color, but you need about .2mm to see a difference in size. To a color sensitive individual, an I is way more tinted than a G. I would go with the G since it's a surprise and you don't know if your fiancée is color sensitive or not. Plenty of people are happy with I, J and even K colored diamonds. I personally prefer diamonds in the DEF range, but that's me. I see lots of color in diamonds that other people say are "very white". There's a difference between color sensitive and color tolerant. Color sensitive means you "sense" or see the color. Color tolerant means you see it but don't mind it. Some people who say their diamonds look "very white" may not see the body color that color sensitive people see. Others see the color and just don't mind it. That's great because you get to save money!! And most people won't notice if your fiancée's diamond has body color or not because few are staring at it directly. What will matter, though, is if your fiancée doesn't like the color. I personally wouldn't take that gamble for a most likely imperceptible difference in size. But again, that's just me.

Ereeg

Rough_Rock
Think there is any difference in the light performance or are we talking minuscule here?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the size difference will be barely noticeable. It's around .15 and .2 mm, which is on the cusp of what people will notice. No one is going to look at 1 vs . the other (separately) and say "wow! that's so much bigger!"

So it really comes down to color sensitivity, and which one you preferred on the video. Both are well cut, and the ES is a really nice one. I think the differences in light performance won't be noticeable IRL.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I watched the video four or five times and I couldn't see any significant difference in the light performance. So, under the light conditions in which the video was shot I think there's little, if any, difference. That's not to say there wouldn't be some small differences in other lighting conditions. But, I will say this--I started the video without knowing which stone was which and I spotted the G immediately. So the video would convince me to stick with the G. Does it convince you? Do you see any performance difference?

Ereeg

Rough_Rock
I see the color difference from pavilion angle clearly. From face up it’s less apparent but there. I showed my friend that video and the first thing out of his mouth was “the middle is more clear or bright.” And he knows nothing about diamonds, less than me! But middle G is $650 more than left I. If it was the same price I pick the G...

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If the $650 price difference is an issue, the I is still a very nice diamond. You always have the 30 day return and lifetime upgrade possibilities, too. If the price difference is not a big issue, the G would eliminate any possible disappointment, if your fiancée turns out to be color sensitive. You will have to make that call, obviously.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not color sensitive, so they all looked the same color to me, haha. But I'd probably err on the cautious size and go with the G. It looks like a beautifully sparkly stone and you could always upgrade to an ACA down the line.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'd be hard pressed to see the size difference in those two stones. I prefer lighter colors in a round, so I guess I'd pick the G, but I'd love it if I got the I. You can't go wrong either way.

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
My upcoming J ACA is sooo white... I'd go for the ACA I-size difference is miniscule but the ACA's are unbelievable. Have you seen in person?

Ereeg

Rough_Rock
The ES is very close to an ACA from what I understand, and the visible differences are negligible. I thought the HCA score 5-6 diamonds in the store were very sparkly and pretty, apparently I don't know what to look for! I have not seen these in person, only on the videos. They all look beautiful on the video to me, but again, I can see a hint of color in the two I stones on each end compared to the G in the center.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get the G now and if she wants a lower color stone later, you can “upgrade” the size and get a warmer color. Win win :)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
G for sure!

Ereeg

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the replies so far. The price difference of $650 for the G is not cost prohibitive, I think it is just getting over the fact of giving up a size and the ACA label for more expensive. I liked the idea of being able to say it’s 1 1/3 versus 1 1/4 carat, as shallow as that might seem LOL.

So none of us are concerned about the greenlight leakage in the ES?

If this was between an H and an I and everything else the same would the H be worth it in your opinions? Unfortunately there is not a great each option around one and a quarter or more carats in SI1 or better within 1k of my original price.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the replies so far. The price difference of $650 for the G is not cost prohibitive, I think it is just getting over the fact of giving up a size and the ACA label for more expensive. I liked the idea of being able to say it’s 1 1/3 versus 1 1/4 carat, as shallow as that might seem LOL.

So none of us are concerned about the greenlight leakage in the ES?

If this was between an H and an I and everything else the same would the H be worth it in your opinions? Unfortunately there is not a great each option around one and a quarter or more carats in SI1 or better within 1k of my original price.

I would not be concerned about that green spot ... and it’s not actually light leakage, it’s just less bright/different angle.

The thing about G is that it kind of is that magic colour boundary where it becomes really difficult to see any tint ... you’re unlikely to notice it at all unless side-by-side with a higher colour diamond. H sort of is where the tint can barely be seen from the side if a person is colour-sensitive ... etc. If this was between an H and an I, personally I would still pick the higher colour ... but I’m colour sensitive and colour intolerant ... with mind issues from having D and G side-by-side repeatedly and over time (it might be like trying drugs - just don’t do or you can be ruined for life). You see how all of this really boils down to personal preference - there is no one thing better than the other, just different, depending on preferences. You can’t tell someone that their favourite colour is “wrong,” and it’s the same thing here.

Without knowing how your fiancée feels about colour and given that the size difference isn’t noticeable, I’d suggest going with the G.

But there’s this mind-clean issue with diamonds ... what does your mind feel better with? The ACA with perfect ASET or the higher colour or the bigger size (as you said, you like the idea of 1 1/3 vs 1 1/4, and that’s legit - it’s all a mind issue with diamonds)?

I really think the whole diamond shopping thing is a mind-issue. Anyone that spends big money for a tiny little sparkler when there are visual equivalents has already been sucked into the mind-issue. You can compare the ASETs and discuss colour and clarity and cost, but it’s whether your diamond brings your mind joy or not that is important! In other words, no one can tell you what is the best choice here, you’ve been advised and led as far as possible @Ereeg - now it’s all up to you. :twirl:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m totally colour insensitive, so would go for the bigger one.

Ereeg

Rough_Rock

Here is a new comparison video.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I am color sensitive. That I is a very nice one. Just make sure it is eye-clean.

Ereeg

Rough_Rock
I am color sensitive. That I is a very nice one. Just make sure it is eye-clean.

From face up if I didn’t know which was which I don’t know if I would be able to tell the difference...It’s hard doing this not knowing her color sensitivity and keeping it a surprise. They report that both are eye clean. The 1.26 G is “the most clean SI1 and I’d like vs2.” I color is eye clean with Twinning wisps as the main inclusion type. $650 or so less for 1.324 I

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely the G. You won't see the size difference. You WILL see the color difference. Five years from now, you won't even remember the cost difference, but you'll still be seeing that tint.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also G for me - the stones are being flooded with bright white light in the video (which is not how you'll view them the majority of the time in real life) and I could still see the color difference. While I could also see the size difference, it is barely detectable and I'd much rather a whiter stone!

Luminous1

Rough_Rock
Premium
I can see the tint in the face up position in the I from that still picture from the video link you just posted- I didn't even need to watch the video.
I would ask for her opinion- a smaller whiter diamond or a larger diamond with a little tint. She's the one who will be wearing it after all ;)2. Some people love K color and others love D. You need to find out where she falls.

Ereeg

Rough_Rock
I switched to the G :)

Thank you all. I also called to cancel my layaway at the local jeweler, they said that PS sponsors the HCA and Whiteflash. They are convinced that there diamonds look just as good as any online and will beat the price. They want me to bring in the WF diamond once it arrives to prove it to me. I mean, why not :) But I don’t anticipate changing my mind. Geez everyone calling everyone else out! I’m just wanting the best, shiniest, flashiest thing out there to have her proud as heck to wear!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thank you all. I also called to cancel my layaway at the local jeweler, they said that PS sponsors the HCA and Whiteflash. They are convinced that there diamonds look just as good as any online and will beat the price. They want me to bring in the WF diamond once it arrives to prove it to me. I mean, why not :) But I don’t anticipate changing my mind. Geez everyone calling everyone else out! I’m just wanting the best, shiniest, flashiest thing out there to have her proud as heck to wear!

Sounds like a fun opportunity. Would be interesting to see it compared to traditional GIAXXX on video / what you thought, in various lighting environments.

Remember in the jewellery spot lights, the performance differential is much smaller.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

The thing is, PS is consumer-driven, no matter who the sponsors are. You get advice from people who have no irons in the fire ... unlike the local jeweller. When you go back to compare the WF diamond, make sure you get outside and out of the store lights. :twirl:

Ereeg

Rough_Rock
Sounds like a fun opportunity. Would be interesting to see it compared to traditional GIAXXX on video / what you thought, in various lighting environments.

Remember in the jewellery spot lights, the performance differential is much smaller.

Unfortunately, the white flash will be set in a setting and the jeweler store stone will be loose. I went with the expert selection and white flash confirmed it only missed ACA because a couple of the hearts we’re not perfect but there will be zero performance differences in real life.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, the white flash will be set in a setting and the jeweler store stone will be loose. I went with the expert selection and white flash confirmed it only missed ACA because a couple of the hearts we’re not perfect but there will be zero performance differences in real life.

You’ll still be able to compare them - no problem!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you all. I also called to cancel my layaway at the local jeweler, they said that PS sponsors the HCA and Whiteflash. They are convinced that there diamonds look just as good as any online and will beat the price. They want me to bring in the WF diamond once it arrives to prove it to me. I mean, why not :)
Yeah, go put them to shame. :lol:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sounds good. As did another poster, I looked at the video without first identifying which was which and the G clearly stood out.:love: And have fun!

Ereeg

Rough_Rock
Should be here first week of April I’ll post some pictures!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results