clarity

Color dilemma now..

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Ok, narrowing it down.

All other things relatively equal, help me choose between:

1.7ct VVS1 H with medium Fluoro
1.5ct VS1 F with strong Fluoro

Will the 1.7 look too warm? I think size matters to my gf...

Thank you!

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
F and H is a pretty fair difference to me. I see a little tint in H diamonds around that size. How color sensitive is she? Also what setting are you getting? Do you think the overblue effect might be off putting when viewed in sunlight on other sources with adequate UV?

We can answer with our personal preferences but they may not match your gf's. I would take the 1.7 provided the face up size is roughly .3mm or more.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qui499kyl|1450656692|3964011 said:
Ok, narrowing it down.

All other things relatively equal, help me choose between:

1.7ct VVS1 H with medium Fluoro
1.5ct VS1 F with strong Fluoro

Will the 1.7 look too warm? I think size matters to my gf...

Thank you!

Define "too warm".
Impossible!!!

Nobody can say which color grade is 'too warm' ... well one person can, your girlfriend.
Ask her.

Color is personal.
Many LOVE diamonds with WAY more color than an H.
Many others would prefer a colorless diamond but since they are not Oprah or Bill Gates are perfectly happy with larger diamond with visible color.
Others insist on colorless, D E F and settle for a smaller diamond becauase size was not priority 1.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Things are almost never equal. Here you have 2 clarity grades different. Cut is unlikely to be equal as well and more information is required to help you choose. Strong fluor would be better suited to H than F.

If size is the most important factor you can definitely afford to bring your clarity down to vs2 and even an eye clean si1(after inspection) and end up with a stone that looks just as clear.

If you post your budget and your requirements someone can help you find a stone. If your gf is involved, go look at some GIA/AGS stones together to look at H and see if it's acceptable. Most people will not see any tint in H and would only notice the colour compared to a colourless stone side by side.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is .3 more, because he listed it on the other thread. Both stones are well cut with good numbers although we have no images.

I am going to say the 1.7 because of her social circle.

A well cut H will look white face up. The only time you could see a difference is if you hold it right next to a D-F color stone.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
I guess the medium Fluoro is safer than the strong. It's going in a simple 4 prong petite solitaire setting for now - if she wants to upgrade that later we will have a nice stone to work with ... Looking to set it in 14k rhodium plated. About 1.8mm

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
14k white gold is fine for a temporary setting. If you think she wants a solitaire long term, I'd recommend platinum. White gold will lose it's plating and turn yellowish and then have to be replated periodically. Or do you mean a pave setting?

The stone you ordered was an H. Did you have any problem with the color?

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
:| We saw an H before and she was fine with it. Couldn't see any yellow at all. It was smaller though 1.3ct. Slightly worried the larger size will reveal more but 1.7 is still not huge so maybe not..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol! You were answering my question as I was editing my last post to ask!

Great! Then H color is a perfect choice! No point in paying for a higher color! This H will appear a good bit larger than a 1.3! (And no, a slightly larger stone isn't going to show more color.)

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Ok I will get a platinum setting then. Makes sense... Thanks guys!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qui499kyl|1450658342|3964033 said:
Ok I will get a platinum setting then. Makes sense... Thanks guys!!

Awesome! That way her wedding band can also be platinum and still be used even if she later wants to change the e-ring setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And...you are welcome! PLEASE come back with pictures for us!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qui499kyl|1450658150|3964028 said:
We saw an H before and she was fine with it. Couldn't see any yellow at all.
Hope that wasn't looking at the top view under jewelry store lights because they could make a lump of coal sparkle.
The bright colors of such dispersive fire totally hides the body color of a diamond.
Look at a side view of the same diamond under soft even lighting like a cloudy day and you'll finally be able to make out the body color.

Hope it was grade by GIA or AGS because many gem labs get away with lying about color and clarity grades.
A diamond graded H by AGS or GIA may get color grades of F, E or even D from other labs. :angryfire: :knockout:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I think he first ordered a GIA EX H and returned it and then looked at larger stones.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Yes, we returned it and wanted larger. It was 1.3 and beautiful but... Size is a "thing" around here. Alternatively we could move... Lol

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
qui499kyl|1450660062|3964047 said:
Yes, we returned it and wanted larger. It was 1.3 and beautiful but... Size is a "thing" around here. Alternatively we could move... Lol

Seems like you returned it because of the color though? :confused:

qui499kyl|1450299526|3962390 said:
The H is good but it's a little warm. Compared it to my sisters ring which is an F and could tell the difference surprisingly. I wasn't expecting to see a difference at all honestly but I could tell! Ordered the E and will be going through the exchange. Fingers crossed its here by New Years. They might not be as good as super ideal cuts ... But I needed to get stone and setting under 14k, and this just barely makes it. Stone was almost 13k, so I settled on a micropave band in white gold.

Thanks for your help!!

Maybe it's best to stick with a F or a G even if it's only 1.5ct?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qui499kyl|1450658150|3964028 said:
:| We saw an H before and she was fine with it. Couldn't see any yellow at all. It was smaller though 1.3ct. Slightly worried the larger size will reveal more but 1.7 is still not huge so maybe not..

solgen...he said H is fine. She likes H. She likes larger diamonds. The 1.7 is the easy choice.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, SHE couldn't see it really but I could. She'd likely rather have a big stone. It's cut very well anyway and I'm thinking will face up white from what I've learned here..

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all VERY MUCH for your help. Biggest purchase so far other than my house... And makes me more nervous than the house. Go figure lol. I'm going to think it all over - when i hear back from blue Nile tomorrow it will be easier to make up my mind. If I can get an F that shows Fluoro sometimes (blue but not hazy - gf would think that's cool trust me..) and put it in a sparkly 1.8mm setting, the stone will pop even if it's 1.5 - she is also a 4.25 finger size so 1.5 May look larger on her. If it's cloudy, then boom. Decision made for the 1.7H. Thanks everyone. Pictures to come!

spon88

Rough_Rock
Here's a 1.54 ct H VS1 we just received from Brian Gavin - no issues at all with the colour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuc_8WcVt3c

I had similar concerns about a 'H' but need not have worried. If the cut is bang on you should be fine. But personal preference of course.

Hope it all goes well.

Cheers

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
That's beautiful! Thank you for sharing. I'm sure she would be happy to have a diamond of that quality. And 1.5 actually looks plenty large even if we end up going with the 1.5. Makes me feel better! Thanks!

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, blue Nile said there's no issue with the fluorescence! It's a steal at 12,500 I cant really pass it up! Setting in this setting attached. So it will sparkle and be icy white I hope! Also attached a picture of a 1.3ct on my gf - the 1.5 I hope looks even larger. She is a 4.25 so gets a good deal of coverage...

Thanks all! I will personally inspect the stone myself when I get it but here's hoping its not cloudy at all in direct sun.

_852.png

_1150.jpeg

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
spon88|1450702090|3964191 said:
Here's a 1.54 ct H VS1 we just received from Brian Gavin - no issues at all with the colour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuc_8WcVt3c

I had similar concerns about a 'H' but need not have worried. If the cut is bang on you should be fine. But personal preference of course.

Hope it all goes well.

Cheers

That view isn't really where you'll notice the color though. It is a lovely ring though!

qui499kyl|1450721071|3964339 said:
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/petite-micropave-diamond-ring-platinum_48630?elem=title&track=product

Ok, switched to this setting - I think the diamond will look even larger with this thinner band.

You might also consider a 6 prong setting. I feel it helps accentuate the shape and makes the diamond appear bigger at this size range. Perhaps it's just me but 4 prong settings draw my eye to those corners instead of the edge.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
You know, for as inexperienced as I am, I have noticed I personally like the 6 prong too - I was going with that if I got the 1.7ct center stone (so if this one is AT ALL cloudy despite what the gemologist said - one of BN's vendors, I will opt for that combo stone and setting). I could only find 4 prong micropaves on BN - I guess if she hates the setting I can get it re-set for her. Just really want this to happen before 2016 :)

Thanks again everyone!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should really view an H color. I like colourless or G but not H, and this was a 0.50 carat H which had a yellow tint to me. I asked if that stone was a G along with the others and the jeweller said, no it is actually a GIA H color. I saw the color straight away face up.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
update - she likes halos. I just asked her sister (duh should have done this before). I am getting a halo... will return and re-set if need be.

Thanks again guys!

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Pyramid, I ended up going with an F color 1.5ct. Cut is ideal and excellent per BN... hoping we are good to go!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results