shape
carat
color
clarity

Color dilemma now..

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
It's a matter of personal opinion. I also do feel like halos are kinda cheating to give you more finger coverage. But then I see some halos that are simply magnificent. I don't like that BN one for several reasons though. The diamond sits too high above the halo. I prefer the girdle to be just above the halo. I also like the halo to be set and an angle rather than parallel to the diamond. To my eye it helps integrate the halo with the center diamond and is pleasing to me.

An additional benefit is the halo can hide the pavilion and thus some color so you can drop to an I. That can allow you to upgrade to a larger diamond thus really increasing finger coverage. Though if you consider the price increase of a halo setting you might not be able to upgrade the size.

There's just so many variables and choices that it can be quite overwhelming. It took me many months to decide upon a size, clarity and color and even now I still come across pieces that have me reconsidering my decision.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nooooo, do NOT switch to the 1.7mm wide setting! You will be in a lot of danger with a pave setting that thin! Please switch back to the other one! It is not recommended to go less than 1.8mm or the shank could bend and you could lose diamonds!

If you want a halo, have Victor Canera do it and it'll be forever quality. Would not buy a BN halo.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
This is the classic halo
Doesn't sit high up.

_853.png

_854.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd want better quality for a pave halo. I think the solitaire settings are okay, but there is a big difference in quality in halo settings. The only stock type halos that I'd probably buy would be Ritani.

However, I'll take a look at BN halos. I do not like the one you just posted.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Ok - yeah for 1800 it's a bit much if it isn't going to last... I am back to the petite luna setting. First one I posted on here. You really think 1.7mm would be bad? The luna is a 1.8.

Thanks again everyone

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
I would go 2mm with a pave band.

While the BN doesn't sit that high there's still a visible air gap. I prefer halos from VC or Leon Mege. Superior quality and you can see the differences I was talking about compared to the 360 vids for the BN setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOhbgBKuMSY

Is BN unable to reuse your previous setting though?

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
They can use my previous - not a problem. The Petite Luna. If she really wants a halo, that Leon Mege is beautiful!! I'll see what she wants when I propose ... This is so overwhelming lol

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qui499kyl|1450724770|3964372 said:
Ok - yeah for 1800 it's a bit much if it isn't going to last... I am back to the petite luna setting. First one I posted on here. You really think 1.7mm would be bad? The luna is a 1.8.

Thanks again everyone

The 1.8 is fine and VERY thin! 2mm is thin! People with very thin rings can grasp a doorhandle and not realize they have bent their ring!

Can you link the setting?

I found it. Can you hold on a sec and let me look at the settings?

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Yes no problem thank you very much for all this info!

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
I just feel like the halo adds finger coverage and sparkle. Do you think 1.5 will look big enough on her finger? The 1.3 is shown here.. 1.5 looks bigger than that... I am torn between

1) Halo with the 1.5 E color
2) Simple band with the 1.7 H color
3) Leave the 1.5 E as-is with the Luna band.

SO many options, I didn't even look at other sites because 1 is overwhelming enough.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome! It is my hobby so I am happy to look!

I think the French Pave setting (44723) is better. The stones are set down at the same level as the shank. I think it will be more comfortable than the Luna. The one I am looking at is 2mm, which is thin, but will have a little more bling factor than a 1.8mm. You are talking about a TINY difference in width. I am still looking, though, so give me a few more minutes!

Just saw your latest post. Let me think about those questions.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Ok, thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qui499kyl|1450726166|3964384 said:
I just feel like the halo adds finger coverage and sparkle. Do you think 1.5 will look big enough on her finger? The 1.3 is shown here.. 1.5 looks bigger than that... I am torn between

1) Halo with the 1.5 E color
2) Simple band with the 1.7 H color
3) Leave the 1.5 E as-is with the Luna band.

SO many options, I didn't even look at other sites because 1 is overwhelming enough.

You are spending a lot of money. Even 1.5 cts is larger than most young women get for an engagement ring. So any of these is great. My hesitation is that you said her friends have surgeon husbands, and because of that, I was thinking to start with the 1.7 in a simple setting and then if she desires a larger look later, you could change to a nice quality halo as an anniversary gift.

1)Didn't you mean 1.5 F? I just wouldn't get a BN halo. I didn't see any I liked. The quality is better if you go with one of their designer settings, but at those prices, I'd suggest custom instead.

2) This would be my personal choice. GIA H color is plenty white face up and she already has seen one and liked it. She wants size. I would rather have a 1.7 H over a 1.5 F as long as both stones are excellent cut, which these are.

3) I don't like the Luna for the setting. Go with French pave or another (I am still looking).

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
It comes down to personal preference. I started with a 1ct halo but then wanted a 1.5ct solitaire. Then I thought maybe halo the 1.5 but instead I started looking at 1.8-2ct solitaires. I've mostly settled on the latter now. A nice halo ring can $5k in platinum. I decided I'd rather put that towards the diamond and opt for a $1.2k setting. 2ct is a nice size on my size 6 finger. If in the future I want bigger I might just halo it.

I found it's easier to buy a bigger diamond now than later. Depending upon the trade up policy you either have to buy a diamond twice the price or upgrade in two characteristics- clarity, size, color. So going from a 1.3 to 1.7 might not be possible or might cost $8 instead of $4.5k that it would currently cost due to various vendor's upgrade policies.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Ok. I will go with the 1.7 - but I can only afford a white gold setting now, bc my budget is more or less 14k.

How annoying is re-plating?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qui499kyl|1450727185|3964394 said:
Ok. I will go with the 1.7 - but I can only afford a white gold setting now, bc my budget is more or less 14k.

How annoying is re-plating?

Some people can go a few years. I had a white gold diamond wedding band once, and I would say that the gold started showing around a year later.

Are you talking about plain as in no diamonds?

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
I made the switch for the 1.7. It is a GIA graded H, so hopefully that means it could even face up lighter from an earlier post I read on here.

I am getting a simple plain band (no diamonds) - 14k white gold for now, and then I can upgrade her before the wedding if that's something she likes. I know for wedding bands she does like the floating diamond infinity rings, so maybe the plain band for engagement ring isnt a bad thing.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
this is the one I got:

1218316649 GIA number
1.7ct VVS1 H, medium fluoro
35/40.8 CA/PA
61.6 depth
56 table
7.64x7.68x4.72mm

In a simple white gold band 1.9mm.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
qui499kyl|1450728436|3964410 said:
this is the one I got:

1218316649 GIA number
1.7ct VVS1 H, medium fluoro
35/40.8 CA/PA
61.6 depth
56 table
7.64x7.68x4.72mm

In a simple white gold band 1.9mm.

Congrats! In the future if you reset it consider a 6 prong like I said. But the simple band can also help the diamond look bigger as it pops off the finger even more IMO. A knife edge can also make the band look thinner and accentuate the diamond.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I hope it isn't too warm. :confused: We shall see. Hoping all she sees is sparkle!

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
qui499kyl|1450729856|3964422 said:
Thank you! I hope it isn't too warm. :confused: We shall see. Hoping all she sees is sparkle!

I'm sure she'll be thrilled. Don't even tell her the specs and just see what she thinks. Sometimes by mentioning concerns about color or clarity you can introduce bias that wouldn't otherwise be there. You might see a hint of yellow because you know it's a H but she may never see it.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Good point. Thank you everyone :)

Side note, are diamonds really cheap right now, comparatively? How often does that market fluctuate? I was wondering why I was able to get this stone for 14k, while others of very similar specs are over 15k. Is is just because some were purchased by BN at a more expensive market time?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The H won't be warm. I have a GIA H 1.65 ct loose diamond myself. If there was a way I could take pictures of the color, I would, but it just faces up white!

It's the middle stone in this picture. The larger one is I color, smaller one is F. Probably some environmental color coming from the beige walls, though.

2015-12-19_16.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A plain solitaire is just fine to use as long as necessary until she finds what she really loves!

Yes, diamond prices are lower than they were a couple of years ago and even a few months ago. I bought that 1.65 diamond from someone who bought it new several months before, and current pricing for the same specs were $2000 lower than when he bought it. So yes, diamond prices do fluctuate, although it seems like they go higher more often than they decline! It also will vary between diamond sizes as large stones may not decline when smaller ones do, for example.

(I realized I have several pictures of H color diamonds in natural light that are whiter than that indoor picture....

_35717.jpg

_35718.jpg

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks diamondseeker for the info, and even more for the visuals!! 1.65 looks really nice in size and color - I think she will be happy with the choice!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qui499kyl|1450734883|3964461 said:
Thanks diamondseeker for the info, and even more for the visuals!! 1.65 looks really nice in size and color - I think she will be happy with the choice!!

I think she will, too! Please come back with pictures after you get the ring or after you propose!!!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP

Congratulations! You are making a right decision. Color is not necessarily a bad thing. It is a feature like size and clarity. Your GF will be proud that you put in the effort to learn, seek advice, and most importantly listened to her about her preference for bigger.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Ended up going almost $1000 over budget but... that's what tax returns are for? Lol :eh:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results