shape
carat
color
clarity

Cobalt Vietnamese Spinel

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescopers! So my hunt for the perfect engagement stone continues. Niel has been so very kind in giving me suggestions and sent a beautiful blue spinel my way. My only issue is that it's 0.46 carats and $5,520 :-o I'm also not sure how "glowy," it is, and I don't want to be in a position where I send it back again. I do love this shade of blue though! What do you guys think?

_870.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So yes I've been trying to find everyday wear stones that would be described as glowy. They way they describe it it sounds "amazing" but it does seem ssooo $$$

Are they really that expensive/heard to find??
http://www.africagems.com/oval-cobalt-spinel-dg-0-46.html

The video is meh, but he describes it as
"I've seen many so called "cobalt" spinels but this stone truly is a neon cobalt color, way better than even the most expensive Brazilian Paraiba! The color is that impressive. Much better in real life. Small flaw that can only be seen upon close examination. GIA certificate."

I really can't advise because I don't know lol. Hopefully someone else is more helpful.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I have a few tiny ones. They are incredible IRL. I think Katharath and Lilmosun have them too. They are so very rare and I don't think any new ones are coming on the market. I want impressed with the video or picture but if want something that no one would have, this could be it. I'm going to try and find a better picture of one

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I'm confused....is it cobalt bearing???(colored by cobalt as it's chromophore) or is it just blue spinel with the cobalt used as a color description???
I don't see anything about it containing cobalt.
If it has that "Jedi" blue spinel color that we have seen before, then the price may be close to correct.
Rare to find such a good blue, if it is indeed like the "jedi" stones from Luc Yen. I like your selection/idea for an engagement stone. If you decide to buy, then you will truly have a top collectors stone that only the truly experienced will appreciate, as it radiates on your finger
At that price, it should look like a Hauyne in color and vividness.
Do you remember Harriet's stone from Pala....it was quite pricey if I recall

Vietnamese spinel rough from Vincent's page...[whistles at color]

_35851.jpg

309499_122493044522535_1507681148_0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barrett|1451534895|3968783 said:
I'm confused....is it cobalt bearing???(colored by cobalt as it's chromophore) or is it just blue spinel with the cobalt used as a color description???
I don't see anything about it containing cobalt.
If it has that "Jedi" blue spinel color that we have seen before, then the price may be close to correct.
Rare to find such a good blue, if it is indeed like the "jedi" stones from Luc Yen. I like your selection/idea for an engagement stone. If you decide to buy, then you will truly have a top collectors stone that only the truly experienced will appreciate, as it radiates on your finger
At that price, it should look like a Hauyne in color and vividness.
Do you remember Harriet's stone from Pala....it was quite pricey if I recall

Vietnamese spinel rough from Vincent's page...[whistles at color]

The fact the gia cert says the variety is cobalt doesn't mean it is?

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I didn't check the lab report.....
If it says var. cobalt, then it should be cobalt bearing.

Just go ahead and snatch it up, Scarlet.......you know that blue is just calling your name(mine too!)

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Alright, made the leap and sent in the paypal request! I really hope it turns out as "jedi blue" as its photo! I just returned my Prima stone and phew, shipping and insurance is expensive :knockout: This stuff really adds up....

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Does it have quite a large inclusion just off the table? Is the one in the video?

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
That kind of money for a spinel that size....anything less than "super vivid" is not acceptable.
Color is king! Poor cutting, crappy clarity, and small size all come second to a top color stone.
Check the tone of that stone to make sure you don't have any grayish color trying to dampen your "hauyne blue" stone.
Pesky iron...always messing up our Cr, V, and Co colored stones....on top of that....TL hates aquamarine because of you, Iron.

I am still impressed by your selection of this type stone. it's been awhile since I have been on PS, and I seem to have forgotten how savvy the gem junkies on here are.
You usually only see the real hardcore gem aficionado's going after a stone such as this. I halfheartedly attempted to procure some rough of this kind about 2 years ago. I figured if my guy can get a hold of that uber rare gem grade amazonite from Vietnam, then he could find some "jedi" spinel as well. Nope....

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Found this 1.23ct. spinel from Luc Yen. Not nearly as eye popping as yours, from what I can tell in the pics.
http://us.buccellati.com/

bucellati-gros-2.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think some of these suffer from camera shyness. This particular location is well known for its unicorn type blue spinels. To me the video looks much more vivid than the original picture. If thats the stone that Harriet purchased, looks to me to be within the same color family. It dosne't look like Hauyne to me, which is a retina burning blue, but still, its rare and special because of what it is.

Add to it that these aren't exactly coming out of the ground in massive numbers or in massive size for that matter. That is one reason why an itty bitty stone will cost so much.

OP I'd be interested to see what your thoughts are when you receive it. I think in some cases these stones can suffer from being over-hyped which IMO ups the expectation. when They're bang on they're ridiculously gorgeous, but also too, when you're spending as much as you are for this type of stone, you should also be critical of what you see.

the inclusion may not matter given what it is.

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Barrett: Thank you for your kind words, but all credit goes to Niel! She has been so helpful and knowledgable in her suggestions, and I wouldn't have even known about the cobalt spinel if she hadn't sent me the link. Thank you, Niel! :)

Arcadian: I will make sure to post lots of pictures of the stone as soon as it gets to me! I definitely won't deprive the community of some beautiful blue spinel exposure, and if it turns out to be questionable, I would definitely want everyone's thoughts as well. Praying that the stone will turn out well!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ScarletRpsdy|1451573305|3968892 said:
Barrett: Thank you for your kind words, but all credit goes to Niel! She has been so helpful and knowledgable in her suggestions, and I wouldn't have even known about the cobalt spinel if she hadn't sent me the link. Thank you, Niel! :)

Arcadian: I will make sure to post lots of pictures of the stone as soon as it gets to me! I definitely won't deprive the community of some beautiful blue spinel exposure, and if it turns out to be questionable, I would definitely want everyone's thoughts as well. Praying that the stone will turn out well!

ive got my fingers crossed for you as well. I always think its cool when people come here looking for some think rare. someone will always have a bigger diamond or a bluer sapphire, but stuff like this is in its own league

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1451575525|3968901 said:
ScarletRpsdy|1451573305|3968892 said:

ive got my fingers crossed for you as well. I always think its cool when people come here looking for some think rare. someone will always have a bigger diamond or a bluer sapphire, but stuff like this is in its own league

Well said!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One should note in this thread that just because a spinel contains cobalt, that doesn't mean it will be neon blue. There are different qualities of "cobalt spinels" themselves, and I'm not referring to stones noted as "cobalt blue spinels," as they do not contain cobalt, but the world "cobalt" is used to garner attention to the color of the stone. I've seen some grey spinels that contain cobalt, and I've seen very lovely blue/violet spinels without cobalt.

S

SparkliesLuver

Congrats, ScarletRpsdy! Definitely anxious for the pictures. :dance: I considered the stone (and the rough, actually) a couple months ago but decided to pass on both.

S

SparkliesLuver

Any updates? :naughty:

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Marc told me I should expect it by Thursday, but since I will be out of town, it will be sent to my mother-in-law's house and she will hold it for me until Monday. I promise you all that once I have it in my hot little hands, I will post pictures for everyone immediately!

S

SparkliesLuver

You mean we have to wait? ;-) :lol: Just kidding. Can't wait for updates early next week.

bling_prism

Rough_Rock
We don't get to see stones like these occurring on a frequent basis here so I can't wait for your pics OP! :o

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is only half the size of yours but is still one of my prized stones. Very excited for you and can't wait for your update!

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your support! I'm currently trying to convince my fiancé to cut our trip short so we can pick up our stone earlier. He doesn't get my impatience and keeps telling me the stone isn't going anywhere. That's not the point!

I've been combing through old threads about cobalt spinels and getting increasingly excited (and nervous!) I've been getting stones that are a lot darker/less electric in person, so I'm really, really hoping this stone holds true! Harriet's stone is absolutely gorgeous, btw. I don't know if it's because it's a cabochon, but it positively glows!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet's spinel is faceted but it also has a large window (artfully disguised in that photograph since it is taken with the crown side down). With this type of colour and rarity, it is up to you whether you are able to accept the sacrifice in cut.

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Oops you're right, Chrono! Now that I've zoomed in, I see it is faceted. Honestly, if the color is that beautiful, I wouldn't mind the window or inclusions.

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Hello everybody! So I got the stone and brought it to a trusted jeweler and a gemologist he works with. Both were very impressed by the color of the stone, but due its surface-breaching inclusion, they told me I would be taking a big risk using it as an e-ring stone. I explained my situation to Marc and he was very understanding about it. He even paid for the return shipping, which was very kind of him. I'm sad to see this stone go because it truly is the most beautiful, glowy blue! Alas, the search continues. I've included pictures as promised.

_1494.jpeg

_1495.jpeg

_1496.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good news and bad news together. I'm so sorry it's not an e-ring candidate but WOW! Look at the colour. :love:

S

SparkliesLuver

That color! :love: :lickout: I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I'm super glad you tried. And thank you for posting pictures!

Next time! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results