shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloudless's Sapphire Journey - Opinions Welcome!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
contemplating this antique sapphire (with a cutlet!) ring... seller is asking close to 3k
1677817704866.png

1677817761161.png

I love it, because I love antique cuts. Antique cutting with a culet is rare in sapphire. I don't mind that it's royal. Is it unheated?

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I love it, because I love antique cuts. Antique cutting with a culet is rare in sapphire. I don't mind that it's royal. Is it unheated?
I fall for antique cuts! It's not tested, part of the reason I'm still debating. Most of the sapphires I see on antique rings are unheated but I don't want to make assumptions. It's royal blue but not overly dark based on the pics I've seen, which I really like!
il_794xN.4039201524_c3es.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I fall for antique cuts! It's not tested, part of the reason I'm still debating. Most of the sapphires I see on antique rings are unheated but I don't want to make assumptions. It's royal blue but not overly dark based on the pics I've seen, which I really like!

See, I can't be asked to be impartial as I love this cut and type of ring. The thing is, if it were a more rounded cluster for my hobbit hands I'd seriously quietly contemplate fighting you for it if I saw it on you in real life:lol:
An antique cut CS is my absolute favorite. Rare as hens teeth!
If I had the money, I'd buy it.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

they don’t seem to put much info at all in their listings - kinda off putting tbh.
They have a few that are :love: lovely!

A royal blue (velvety) sapphire is on my list too, someday!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
they don’t seem to put much info at all in their listings - kinda off putting tbh.
They have a few that are :love: lovely!

A royal blue (velvety) sapphire is on my list too, someday!
I asked a few questions about the color&clarity of the stones and got very short, vague answers. idk it just feels very unprofessional coming from an antique jewelry seller. unsure if I should take the risk.
I love velvety stones! wished this was more velvety (but that usually means a more prestigious origin and wouldn't be available at the price point I'm looking at..)

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

I love it. What’s the return policy?

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I love it. What’s the return policy?

14 days return, but the vendor is in Europe (Im in the states) so not sure about the logistics. Can anyone who's done this before chime in?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’ll want to confirm with them the 14 days starts when you receive it, not when they ship it or it hits customs. You’ll have to find out all customs /shipping/duties fees both ways to see if it makes sense to pay all that if you return.
If it’s labeled an antique - I think some if those are less - but also depends on the countries involved. And how they fill out the paperwork.

Know the possibilities of something falling back on you if the vendor “tries to do you a solid’ and fills out the paperwork incorrectly in the name of ‘saving you fees’. Accepting a known risk is different than unknowingly so.

I know there’s a site to enter in all data and estimate all charges- I cannot remember it right now. I’ll look for it for you.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

This is what was suggested to me from an overseas antique vendor
I’m sure there are more options but this one was very accurate for me. UK to USA.
It was in 2019, don’t know what if anything has changed since then.

It’s marked as sold - I hope it was you @cloud_less
If the sapphire is synthetic/stimulant how would you feel? Can you get that tested reliably in the return time frame? I dislike much that the vendor is so vague to you and in the listing itself - and that really is only on their behalf if you do wish to return.

Last edited:

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

This is what was suggested to me from an overseas antique vendor
I’m sure there are more options but this one was very accurate for me. UK to USA.
It was in 2019, don’t know what if anything has changed since then.

It’s marked as sold - I hope it was you @cloud_less

Thank you for that! And I just checked, it was not me...argh
I asked the vendor to hold for two days but apparently that period is now over. I never learn from these incidents :cry2:

PS. to the person who purchased it through etsy, this vendor has their own website and you can negotiate a discount from there.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has it been two days? If not - contact them directly, if you really want it.
If it sold thru Etsy, you may have a priority claim over that. I don’t think they put a ‘hold-do not purchase tag’ on the Etsy site. Anyone could have hit that purchase now button.

I tagged this vendor on 2/28 on the vintage forum (mentioned this navette, too) and have been looking at their things kinda daily -lol

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Has it been two days? If not - contact them directly, if you really want it.
If it sold thru Etsy, you may have a priority claim over that. I don’t think they put a ‘hold-do not purchase tag’ on the Etsy site. Anyone could have hit that purchase now button.

It has been over two days. That was totally on me, life has been busy:( I saw it on the vintage forum too! Did not know that this was the navette you talked about though, just was really attracted to it. Guess we all are! :lol:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope if it was someone on here that they do share their hand photos, what they think of it, and if they get it tested
:)

Your ideal sapphire is out there waiting for you and the right timing, @cloud_less :love:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I actually think that the seller posted it because in the comments underneath they replied to some inquiries that the stone has already sold. And who else would know that aside from them. It was just a curious and pleasant experience to see and recognise it.

Can't wait for the photos of the finished ring!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I actually think that the seller posted it because in the comments underneath they replied to some inquiries that the stone has already sold. And who else would know that aside from them. It was just a curious and pleasant experience to see and recognise it.

Can't wait for the photos of the finished ring!

Out of curiosity I checked their reddit account, looks like they post eye-candies & sell lab-grown gems? they might know the seller though
Anyways I'll update here once the ring is finished!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Not a sapphire, but thought I'd just post here instead of opening a new thread.
I've being looking for a ruby since I missed the another one a while ago. I'm considering this antique ring with a burma unheated ruby slightly over 1ct with strong fluorescence. I love antique rings and this one has puffy omc (.5ct each) on the side!
Seller asking for $7500. Any thoughts on this one?
1679508760493.jpg

1679508845497.jpg

1679508860295.jpg

I would just want to recertify with a familiar lab, but if it is indeed unheated and you love it, I say go for it! The price seems quite reasonable to me. And I love the OMCs!!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Vendor sent me pics of this opalescent dream (2.65ct unheated Madagascar)... at $1k/ct that is. Someone help me as I have no self-control:cry:
1664071624794.jpg 1664071638127.jpg
1664073162599.png

Putting an update here: Ailsa is getting set soon! I had multiple iterations of CADs. Currently leaning toward the one on the right. All diamonds will be rose cut:) Feedback welcomed!

1681876031900.png 1681876046496.png

Last edited:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vendor sent me pics of this opalescent dream (2.65ct unheated Madagascar)... at $1k/ct that is. Someone help me as I have no self-control:cry:
1664071624794.jpg 1664071638127.jpg
1664073162599.png

May I ask what vendor this was, stunning?

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Putting an update here: Ailsa is getting set soon! I had multiple iterations of CADs. Currently leaning toward the one on the right. All diamonds will be rose cut:) Feedback welcomed!

1681876031900.png 1681876046496.png

I like the top version best because it seems to flow better with the center stone. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it. It will be gorgeous either way.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I like the top version best because it seems to flow better with the center stone. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it. It will be gorgeous either way.

That makes sense! I'm torn between the more traditional halo look of the first and the more whimsical look of the second.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results