shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloudless's Sapphire Journey - Opinions Welcome!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Vendor sent me pics of this opalescent dream (2.65ct unheated Madagascar)... at $1k/ct that is. Someone help me as I have no self-control:cry:
1664071624794.jpg 1664071638127.jpg
1664073162599.png

:lol:Nope, can't help you either, because I love it- it's a unicorn. I haven't seen too many as nice as this one. If I had the money, I would buy it myself.

:lol:Nope, can't help you either, because I love it- it's a unicorn. I haven't seen too many as nice as this one. If I had the money, I would buy it myself.

ITA... these opalescent sapphires are a prime example of "non trade ideal" gems that are highly desirable and collectable. And yet the prices haven't really caught up, which is kind of awesome. It reminds me of gray spinel. Remember how inexpensive they used to be? Gem cutters traditionally used them as practice stones. Now they're exponentially more valuable.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
ITA... these opalescent sapphires are a prime example of "non trade ideal" gems that are highly desirable and collectable. And yet the prices haven't really caught up, which is kind of awesome. It reminds me of gray spinel. Remember how inexpensive they used to be? Gem cutters traditionally used them as practice stones. Now they're exponentially more valuable.

Yes, and I cry about it now because I let some really huge beauties go thinking meh, they'll be there.
I can't tell you how hard it is to have two kids, they make me so poor. So, so, poor.:(sad

@cloud_less someday I'm going to have you help me find one of these, you found some nice examples!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Oh, snap that up. You’ll not see another anytime soon.

It is a unicorn ... so tempted! Just can't say no to it. You guys are true enablers:lol::lol::lol:

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Yes, and I cry about it now because I let some really huge beauties go thinking meh, they'll be there.
I can't tell you how hard it is to have two kids, they make me so poor. So, so, poor.:(sad

@cloud_less someday I'm going to have you help me find one of these, you found some nice examples!

I tried to negotiate but the vendor wouldn't budge. They are in Sri Lanka's gem market buying from source sellers. The anecdote they told me that was that the stone was priced above market price yet vendors fought for it... I later saw a screenshot from another vendor saying he couldn't get it for his client but had to take a photo for how pretty it was.
It came to around $3000 total. My bling fund is drying up much quicker than I expected but mentally I can't let it go:cry2:

@ItsMainelyYou Vendors in Sri Lanka seem to prefer asking what you are looking for and then finding nice ones for you, rather than posting on social media. If you can take the risk then it's worth trying! Can give you the contact of these vendor if you'd like:)

Last edited:

The only reason I have any disposable income at all is because I don't have any kiddies. But the downside to that is... I don't have any kiddies. :|

I tried to negotiate but the vendor wouldn't budge. They are in Sri Lanka's gem market buying from source sellers. The anecdote they told me that was that the stone was priced above market price yet vendors fought for it... I later saw a screenshot from another vendor saying he couldn't get it for his client but had to take a photo for how pretty it was.
It came to around $3000 total. My bling fund is drying up much quicker than I expected but mentally I can't let it go:cry2:

@ItsMainelyYou Vendors in Sri Lanka seem to prefer asking what you are looking for and then finding nice ones for you, rather than posting on social media. If you can take the risk then it's worth trying! Can give you the contact of these vendor if you'd like:)

Did you grab it, @cloud_less?! :P2

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
mentally I can't let it go

In my very limited experience that's a giveaway sign to get it now or forever regret it. I have only ever felt like this once about a stone. I got it. My wallet wasn't happy. But my heart (and my finger!) - very much so.

You can't put a price on happiness and sometimes happiness comes in the shape of a pretty sparkly pebble. Such is life. I'll be waiting for the photos when it arrives. ::)

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
Vendor sent me pics of this opalescent dream (2.65ct unheated Madagascar)... at $1k/ct that is. Someone help me as I have no self-control:cry:
1664071624794.jpg 1664071638127.jpg
1664073162599.png

The color of this beautiful gemstone is out of this world! I love that it is a pear too!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock

Yes please! I love silky sapphires. Please share the vendor.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Contact info. would be lovely, thank you! That's also a great tip about how they like to operate- I didn't know that. You thought you were a novice and here you are dropping helpful tips left and right and bringing in unicorns. :lol:
I have to wait at least a few years...kids...college...old house, thhbbbppt.
Apparently, if you have kids they expect you to take care of them after. Unbelievable! The nerve.:snooty:

I hope some lucky people get some amazing stones and share the pic/videos and it brings some business to the vendor. They have a great eye!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
The color of this beautiful gemstone is out of this world! I love that it is a pear too!
Thank you! I love a good pear sapphire!! So hard to find. This one is cut deep (~6mm) but I really like the faceting

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Yes please! I love silky sapphires. Please share the vendor.

Contact info. would be lovely, thank you!
Sure! You can find me via my old LT link and I'll reply with their contact :)

I hope some lucky people get some amazing stones and share the pic/videos and it brings some business to the vendor. They have a great eye!
I only have some very limited interactions with Sri Lanka vendors, maybe not all of them operate this way. I hope things go smoothly, will report back as soon as I get the stone. Then I can recommend this vendor without the fear that I might mislead anyone:)

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Continuing the theme of greenish sapphires... Here's an olive green star sapphire I'm considering!
1666850368728.jpg 1666850434988.png
This looks so interesting (albeit far from perfect for a star sapphire?) and I've never seen a natural green star sapphire before, so...
Calling all the star connoisseurs!

Last edited:

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Continuing the theme of greenish sapphires... Here's an olive green star sapphire I'm considering!
1666850368728.jpg 1666850434988.png
This looks so interesting (albeit far from perfect for a star sapphire?) and I've never seen a natural green star sapphire before, so...
Calling all the star connoisseurs!

Very cool!

That's a good bright sharp star. It has the right amount of translucency to show the 'silver curtain' effect (see the top left ray). (@Autumn in New England - that's what I was talking about in the Ruby thread.)

Minor negatives - it could be a bit more translucent, the star could be a bit more regular, and the colour could be bit more saturated. But for me, the 'cool factor' and the bright star would outweigh all that.

I don't know how rare green star sapphires really are, but I certainly haven't seen many. This is my only example, an Aussie with a fascinating grey-blue-green colour but a weak diffuse star:
GreenStar.jpg

The one you are looking at has a way better star. I'd be happy to go for it.

Standard warning for all star stones: I assume you know that the star will usually be visible only in hard direct light (basically direct sun). In soft diffuse light (i.e. much of the time) the star will be lost and the body colour will be less saturated - check this and be sure you are happy with it.

Last edited:

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Very cool!

That's a good bright sharp star. It has the right amount of translucency to show the 'silver curtain' effect (see the top left ray). (@Autumn in New England - that's what I was talking about in the Ruby thread.)

Minor negatives - it could be a bit more translucent, the star could be a bit more regular, and the colour could be bit more saturated. But for me, the 'cool factor' and the bright star would outweigh all that.

I don't know how rare green star sapphires really are, but I certainly haven't seen many. This is my only example, an Aussie with a fascinating grey-blue-green colour but a weak diffuse star:
GreenStar.jpg

Standard warning for all star stones: I assume you know that the star will usually be visible only in hard direct light (basically direct sun). In soft diffuse light (i.e. much of the time) the star will be lost and the body colour will be less saturated - check this and be sure you are happy with it.

Yay I was hoping you could chime in! Thank you for taking the time to explain the pros and cons, makes a lot of sense.

I do understand that it would not show the bright star in diffused light so I asked for a video to make sure I still like it that way. In diffused light you can still see a bright spot moving when you turn the stone. I like how moody it is.
Like you, I think this is too cool to pass and priced reasonably too, so I went for it:lol:

Very cool!

GreenStar.jpg

Ahh I understand the curtain reference now! It almost looks like the trail a shooting star leaves behind. Beautiful stones, Cloud and Star!!

1666850368728 (2).jpg

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Cannot believe I haven't posted a picture of this baby, snapped some crappy shots in afternoon light:
1668792457469.png 1668792511433.jpg
1668792537821.jpg
Completely clean with the finest amount of silk. Shades of ethereal yellow, green and blue exactly as in the vendor's picture. The official description on the cert is "velvety yellowish green"
LOVE IT.

PS. it needs a name! any suggestions? :)

Last edited:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Cannot believe I haven't posted a picture of this baby, snapped some crappy shots in afternoon light:
1668792537821.jpg
Completely clean with the finest amount of silk. Shades of ethereal yellow, green and blue exactly as in the vendor's picture. The official description in cert is "velvety yellowish green"
LOVE IT.

That is so special! Love it!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
1668792537821.jpg
Completely clean with the finest amount of silk. Shades of ethereal yellow, green and blue exactly as in the vendor's picture. The official description on the cert is "velvety yellowish green"
LOVE IT.

Ailsa, it means fairy rock! That's a fairy stone if I've ever seen one :love:

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for being enablers!! I'm so glad I took the risk and bought it. Totally worth it!
That is so special! Love it!

Ailsa, it means fairy rock! That's a fairy stone if I've ever seen one :love:
I would call her Aurora, because she looks like the Northern Lights! Beautiful!!
Beautiful names!! I got curious and "Ailsa Craig" means "fairy rock" in Gaelic so Ailsa means fairy? I'm definitely getting both fairy and northern lights vibes from it:love:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for being enablers!! I'm so glad I took the risk and bought it. Totally worth it!

Beautiful names!! I got curious and "Ailsa Craig" means "fairy rock" in Gaelic so Ailsa means fairy? I'm definitely getting both fairy and northern lights vibes from it:love:

Yup! I've only ever heard of it meaning fairy, or fairy rock...I didn't even know it was a whole island! I looked it up and it also is from an old Norse diminutive that means 'elf victory'. Who knew? Pretty cool.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Yup! I've only ever heard of it meaning fairy, or fairy rock...I didn't even know it was a whole island! I looked it up and it also is from an old Norse diminutive that means 'elf victory'. Who knew? Pretty cool.
Elf victory?! :mrgreen2: I'm naming the child I will never have this.
Screams elvish aesthetic to me, so something Tolkien-inspired?
That's so cool! I was thinking about something Tolkien-inspired but can't find a fitting name. Ailsa it is :lol:
Planning to set it into something with an elvish aesthetic as well

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Happy Nameday, Ailsa!
Ooh, make sure to let us in on that journey. I love that aesthetic as well :love: I can't wait to see what you do!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I've been following Sennin Esko's ig account for a while (who is a really brilliant jeweler/gem cutter). I love his fantasy cut design and when I saw he posted this Montana sapphire today my heart literally skipped a bit.

2.29ct, 9.2x5.7mm, untreated
Now this is the first Montana sapphire that I'm really attracted to, color and cut. On an impulse I brought it... (with exactly zero self-control lol)
Here are Sennin's photos of it:
1663030758863.png

1663031169330.png

1663031434479.png
Thought I should add photos of it in its setting (also by Sennin) here too!
1676753920654.png

1676753941559.png
Somehow my phone camera makes the color look washed out. It's quite the color shifter (blue to green depends on lighting). LOVE Sennin's work, highly recommend!!

Attachments

• 1676753983124.jpg
    1676753983124.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 52
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results