shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloudless's Sapphire Journey - Opinions Welcome!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!
I'm really into sapphire. especially ones with green and blue hues. Recently I kept finding myself bumping into all kinds of different (sometimes weird) ones.
So to not spam the forum with post after post I decide to open a new thread documenting all these ones that I looked at but did not buy, bought and returned, or want to buy. I learned a lot from opinions and advice in my previous posts and I'd love to hear what you guys think about the ones I want to buy :mrgreen2:
I try to work carefully with my budget and not considering anything too much over $3k. I prefer unheated ones btw.

So to recap:
1. 2.4ct green sapphire I liked but did not buy. The price was high from a vendor close to source.
1658582667197.png
2. 2.7ct milky blue round that I brought from an IG vendor and returned. looks too different from vendor's video. Again it was too expensive (for what I got)
video
1658582815260.png
reality
1658582854254.png

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Now on to the ones I'm looking into currently. Both are from a vendor in Sri Lanka that my friend recommended, so I found myself trusting them a bit more. Again it's very hard to return so I try to be careful with my purchase.

First up an unheated 1.9ct emerald cut bluish purple. Face up clean with an inclusion on the back
1658583229505.png

It was sent out for lab cert so the vendor doesn't have it on hand atm.
It's the third one from the top in the middle row.

1658583370501.png

This one spoke as its color reminds me of the lotus flower. A project came in mind almost instantly with the inspiration of a Rene Lalique ring (albeit a more modern version):
1658583701806.png

Last edited:

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Next is a 1.5ct unheated round (6.2mm) greenish-blue mined in Africa. Loupe clean. Vendor is also getting it certed from EGL

Under sunlight:
1658584090245.jpeg

I requested a video under low light. This is what it looks like in dispersion light after sunset
1658584267587.png

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Now on to the ones I'm looking into currently. Both are from a vendor in Sri Lanka that my friend recommended. Again it's very hard to return so I try to be careful with my purchase.

First up an unheated 1.9ct emerald cut bluish purple. Face up clean with an include on the back
1658583229505.png

It was sent out for lab cert so the vendor doesn't have it on hand atm.
It's the third one from top in the middle row.

1658583370501.png

This one spoke as its color reminds me of the lotus flower. A project came in mind almost instantly with the inspiration of a Rene Lalique ring (albeit a more modern version):
1658583701806.png

Pretty color, but it will set quite dark. It would black out in some lighting and look it's best in outdoor dappled light.
Example: The sapphire in the inspo. would be closer to the second sapphires from the top on all three rows in saturation and tone. A good rule of thumb is to go for the color you envision set by choosing a stone one to two shades lighter.
For any that you are interested in ask for indoor shots in different light conditions. Where will you wear this the most? Latitude also makes a difference in how vibrant stones look.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Pretty color, but it will set quite dark. It would black out in some lighting and look it's best in outdoor dappled light.
Example: The sapphire in the inspo. would be closer to the second sapphires from the top on all three rows in saturation and tone. A good rule of thumb is to go for the color you envision set by choosing a stone one to two shades lighter.
For any that you are interested in ask for indoor shots in different light conditions. Where will you wear this the most? Latitude also makes a difference in how vibrant stones look.

Thank you! I also think it's darker than the sapphire in the inspo, which is okay. It's a rather loose connection I made. I imagine it would be more like a royal blue in terms of how dark it goes? I really like the touch of blue in purple. I'm waiting for it to come back and plan to ask for videos in indoor dispersion light, which is the most often light condition I will wear it the most.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love to hear what you guys think about the ones I want to buy :mrgreen2:
95012F65-E115-40E8-A569-FB600480C888.jpeg

Have you seen any other pics of this one?
Vendor’s using still pics of stones with the table facet reflecting back to the camera may not always be a screaming red flag, a coverup of something - but it sure mutters of it IMO.

Looks like two prominent triangle windows toward each end, to me. (ETA- and it’s there face up. Not even just a tilt window)

That may not bother you, though.

I agree with @ItsMainelyYou on the darkness. If that’s what you are looking for - that’s fine
But expect even darker in your hand and once set. Take additional care if your environmental lighting isn’t similar to the vendor’s.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
185502C4-24CB-4993-94ED-C0A23F9A3EBB.jpeg

This one’s extinction /extinction pattern (even in sunlight) I would expect to be even more apparent once received, compared to vendor’s shots.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Looks like two prominent triangle windows toward each end, to me.

That may not bother you, though.

Sorry I should have made clear, it's a screenshot from the vendor's video. You are right it does have two triangle extinction though! I imagine it's because it was cut shallow for a larger face-up size? I asked the vendor to send indoor videos after it comes back from the lab.

Here's the video:

Last edited:

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Both of these are priced at around $1500 + direct shipping from Sri Lanka

Videos of the 1.5ct blue ( sorry the audio is really bad)

I asked for a video in very low light environment:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really into sapphire. especially ones with green and blue hues.
Not to direct you away from these two stones or away from SL IG selling platform - at all.
But have you contacted BryantGems to see what they might have for you, unheated and with lab report, in your criteria? Listed on their site or ask maybe even not listed?

He used to post here - haven’t seen him in awhile.
I have no experience with him /his company - but I think of him every time someone mentions looking for blue/green sapphire.

Best wishes in your journey
I’ll be following!
:)

That sounds creepy. I’m not, really, though. Maybe. Just a bit.

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Both of these are priced at around $1500 + direct shipping from Sri Lanka

Videos of the 1.5ct blue ( sorry the audio is really bad)

I asked for a video in very low light environment:

The color is very pretty in full light, but will also set darker. It will be dark with some flashes in the body most of the time. You need to see it in artificial light, even low light across the world isn't going to look the same for you.
The other mine field is extinction. You'll have to decide how much you're comfortable with. It would then have to pass threshold of this is the best color to accept high extinction.
It's wiser to have a better or even precision cut stone if you're not going for 'trade ideal' expensive. Cut is what will make you love a stone in most cases, not size. The only time to really accept just meh for cut is because the color is amazingly saturated etc...
I would check these guys out- I know adamant has more stones and may be able to find exactly what you're after in better cuts.
More expensive but some really nice material- you'll have to sacrifice some size...
Earth has many sapphires, now they are more expensive but if nothing else it's a great way to train your eye for better cutting and proportion. You have the option to return, or buy a ring already made.
Then there is Etsy, I know that on PS there are a lot of fancy expensive stones. I really like Etsy because it has stones I can actually afford :lol: I've found some great ones.

Instagram really is a gamble unless you know what you're looking for and even then, it's dicey. You roll wrong and you're stuck. That's the trade off for PPC(price per carat).
At least with Etsy, most of the time you can return.
There are a ton of internet stone dealers. This is just a surface scratch.
Do you have a picture of a ring/stone/object that is what your ideal would be? If not, find the closest and then try to match as best you can. Sounds weird, but it works.
*Most important- it's your sapphire, don't let opinions sway you away from something you love. It doesn't have to be textbook perfect.
My favorite stones are not trade ideal, almost none pass stringent standard, it doesn't matter to me. I love them.
It only has to be perfect to you.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
But have you contacted BryantGems to see what they might have for you, unheated and with lab report, in your criteria? Listed on their site or ask maybe even not listed?
Thanks for the recommendation! Going to check out their website now, looks like they have lots of interesting ones!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
The color is very pretty in full light, but will also set darker. It will be dark with some flashes in the body most of the time. You need to see it in artificial light, even low light across the world isn't going to look the same for you.
The other mine field is extinction. You'll have to decide how much you're comfortable with. It would then have to pass threshold of this is the best color to accept high extinction.
It's wiser to have a better or even precision cut stone if you're not going for 'trade ideal' expensive. Cut is what will make you love a stone in most cases, not size. The only time to really accept just meh for cut is because the color is amazingly saturated etc...
I would check these guys out- I know adamant has more stones and may be able to find exactly what you're after in better cuts.
More expensive but some really nice material- you'll have to sacrifice some size...
Earth has many sapphires, now they are more expensive but if nothing else it's a great way to train your eye for better cutting and proportion. You have the option to return, or buy a ring already made.
Then there is Etsy, I know that on PS there are a lot of fancy expensive stones. I really like Etsy because it has stones I can actually afford :lol: I've found some great ones.

Instagram really is a gamble unless you know what you're looking for and even then, it's dicey. You roll wrong and you're stuck. That's the trade off for PPC(price per carat).
At least with Etsy, most of the time you can return.
There are a ton of internet stone dealers. This is just a surface scratch.
Do you have a picture of a ring/stone/object that is what your ideal would be? If not, find the closest and then try to match as best you can. Sounds weird, but it works.
*Most important- it's your sapphire, don't let opinions sway you away from something you love. It doesn't have to be textbook perfect.
My favorite stones are not trade ideal, almost none pass stringent standard, it doesn't matter to me. I love them.
It only has to be perfect to you.

By artificial light, do you mean studio lighting? I know there are certain types of light some vendors used as their "standard" lighting condition.
Thank you for pointing out the extinction issue, I thought it was not that bad at first but once you guys pointed that out I can't unsee it :(
I did notice that most of the stones this vendor sells are native cut and more or less wonky. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the cut before but definitely will now. Adamant's niche is buying native cut stones and recut them to improve performance right? I was actually looking at Adamant, Gemfix and Earth's inventory a while ago (when I was still lurking haha). The first green sapphire is from adamant actually! It's pricey but still has a place in my heart.

You see, my problem is that I don't have a set and clear ideal in mind, and that makes things a lot harder. Once in a (short) while I see a stone I like and my brain just screams PRETTY COLOR!! and want to get it. :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
By artificial light, do you mean studio lighting? I know there are certain types of light some vendors used as their "standard" lighting condition.
Thank you for pointing out the extinction issue, I thought it was not that bad at first but once you guys pointed that out I can't unsee it :(
I did notice that most of the stones this vendor sells are native cut and more or less wonky. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the cut before but definitely will now. Adamant's niche is buying native cut stones and recut them to improve performance right? I was actually looking at Adamant, Gemfix and Earth's inventory a while ago (when I was still lurking haha). The first green sapphire is from adamant actually! It's pricey but still has a place in my heart.

You see, my problem is that I don't have a set and clear ideal in mind, and that makes things a lot harder. Once in a (short) while I see a stone I like and my brain just screams PRETTY COLOR!! and want to get it. :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

Oh, I definitely get it, too many pretty colors. I still suggest at least narrowing your beam or else the whole thing can get away from you. It's my big problem too!
Yes, adamant recuts to improve performance.

So, for lighting you want regular fluorescent or LED if you can get it- like you have at work or home. That's what you're going to see it in the most. It isn't going to look it's best, but it's going to be what it looks like most.

Most of the IG vendors stones from source are going to have varying degree of cut issues. The color will never be exactly as it looks where they live because of light differences in locales, the angle of the sun etc...and they sometimes use studio lighting that doesn't exist in any normal locations.
Precision cutting increases price. It's safer to go with precision or high quality cut if you haven't had experience looking at cut proportions. Less disappointment that way.
Usually the wisdom is color is more important. This is mostly true, except when it isn't. This applies mostly to top color expensive specimens.
For everything else, you want a balance of color and cut. Cut is more important to showcase everything else. Here, I'll show you some of mine: my weakness is spinel

This is a blue spinel I have that is not particularly well cut. At all. Extinction! Paging extinction! Big old pavilion or belly on this girl. I didn't choose it for it's cut. I chose it because it is a larger size, had a heavier mounting with good diamonds, the color in real life is lovely(and will recut it someday making it even better) and it was once in a lifetime auction cheap. I'll never match that again.
I love it anyway.

This is my e-ring.
Much better precision cut in a red spinel. There is still some minor extinction(there always will be some)but the color for me more than makes up for it. The stone alone cost more than the entire blue spinel ring above.

Most of my stones I buy for color(and I like tertiary colors) and I'm satisfied if the cut is acceptable and doesn't detract from the color.
I also have to be strictly budget conscious. Not rich, sadly. I have the black hole known as 'kids'.

The real sauce is that you're going to have to kiss a few more frogs on your journey. That doesn't mean it can't be fun. There is just no guarantee until you have it in hand. Like that sapphire round that had too much gray you had to send back. We've all had to. There's a thread of vendor pics and reality that's full of them. It's likely you'll have to send back at least one or two more.
You just want to minimize just how chapped your lips get if you can.
*sorry for the rambling posts :lol:

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
If you are able to return the first green sapphire, why not buy it and see if it would be worth it to you? I recall from the other thread that it wasn't priced outrageously, and what does overpriced even mean if you can't get something you like better for less?

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
If you are able to return the first green sapphire, why not buy it and see if it would be worth it to you? I recall from the other thread that it wasn't priced outrageously, and what does overpriced even mean if you can't get something you like better for less?

The vendor is in SL so returning is hard, I wish I could see it in person though.
I think it was priced fair given its color and cutting but $3700 for a single stone is stretching my budget a bit.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I definitely get it, too many pretty colors. I still suggest at least narrowing your beam or else the whole thing can get away from you. It's my big problem too!
Yes, adamant recuts to improve performance.

So, for lighting you want regular fluorescent or LED if you can get it- like you have at work or home. That's what you're going to see it in the most. It isn't going to look it's best, but it's going to be what it looks like most.

Most of the IG vendors stones from source are going to have varying degree of cut issues. The color will never be exactly as it looks where they live because of light differences in locales, the angle of the sun etc...and they sometimes use studio lighting that doesn't exist in any normal locations.
Precision cutting increases price. It's safer to go with precision or high quality cut if you haven't had experience looking at cut proportions. Less disappointment that way.
Usually the wisdom is color is more important. This is mostly true, except when it isn't. This applies mostly to top color expensive specimens.
For everything else, you want a balance of color and cut. Cut is more important to showcase everything else. Here, I'll show you some of mine: my weakness is spinel
20220418_075445.jpg

This is a blue spinel I have that is not particularly well cut. At all. Extinction! Paging extinction! Big old pavilion or belly on this girl. I didn't choose it for it's cut. I chose it because it is a larger size, had a heavier mounting with good diamonds, the color in real life is lovely(and will recut it someday making it even better) and it was once in a lifetime auction cheap. I'll never match that again.
I love it anyway.

sparkleshot2.jpeg

This is my e-ring.
Much better precision cut in a red spinel. There is still some minor extinction(there always will be some)but the color for me more than makes up for it. The stone alone cost more than the entire blue spinel ring above.

Most of my stones I buy for color(and I like tertiary colors) and I'm satisfied if the cut is acceptable and doesn't detract from the color.
I also have to be strictly budget conscious. Not rich, sadly. I have the black hole known as 'kids'.

The real sauce is that you're going to have to kiss a few more frogs on your journey. That doesn't mean it can't be fun. There is just no guarantee until you have it in hand. Like that sapphire round that had too much gray you had to send back. We've all had to. There's a thread of vendor pics and reality that's full of them. It's likely you'll have to send back at least one or two more.
You just want to minimize just how chapped your lips get if you can.
*sorry for the rambling posts :lol:

The lighting condition I find myself in most of the time (at least for now) is actually indoor dispersed natural light! So I've been asking vendors to provide videos in that condition. You made a really good point though that it varies a lot. LED is a good idea!
Thank you so much for your words of wisdom and your rings are so pretty!!! I like spinel too! I wanted a cobalt spinel so bad but they are even more expensive than a sapphire :(

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It likes the artificial light, so that's good. The only thing left is to make sure this is the color family you truly want and letting the idea of green go. If you're cool and your gut says go- have at it!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
It likes the artificial light, so that's good. The only thing left is to make sure this is the color family you truly want and letting the idea of green go. If you're cool and your gut says go- have at it!

Yay! This is approx. half the price of the blue one I returned previously and fingers crossed I can do better this time. I like this kind of blue that's slightly greenish, not exactly teal. It's like it still looks blue on its own but compared to a traditional blue sapphire it shows green tone.
That's a good point. Hope one day I could come across a nice green one without such a hefty price tag :lol-2:

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@cloud_less and you know the drill when it comes in. Pictures and pictures.
Fingers crossed!

200 (8).gif

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Quick little update:
I realized my tendency of buying small stones with nice color though its hard to make them work on my size 7 fingers ...
Here's a little .65 Vietnamese sapphire I just brought. Too cute, cant resist!!
1659967428126.jpeg

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Need some advice regarding design!
A vendor I follow on ig (a lot of you might recognize who this is) just posted a pair of 4.5mm round Madagascar sapphire. $340, 0.97ctw. They described the color as a "mix of pink, orange and mauve". I always fall for interesting colors so this is tempting...
1660609333765.png

I wonder if they could work in a three-stone setting with this ~6mm green-blue I brought (bonus, it's also from Madagascar). It's a different cut, though.
1660609500080.png

I haven't received the blue one yet so this is totally a shot in the dark, but still interested in hearing what you guys think!

Last edited:

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I've been following Sennin Esko's ig account for a while (who is a really brilliant jeweler/gem cutter). I love his fantasy cut design and when I saw he posted this Montana sapphire today my heart literally skipped a bit.

2.29ct, 9.2x5.7mm, untreated
Now this is the first Montana sapphire that I'm really attracted to, color and cut. On an impulse I brought it... (with exactly zero self-control lol)
Here are Sennin's photos of it:
1663030758863.png

1663031169330.png

1663031434479.png

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous sapphire I can't wait to see it on your hand! And thanks for introducing me to his site. All his stones are mesmerizing!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous sapphire I can't wait to see it on your hand! And thanks for introducing me to his site. All his stones are mesmerizing!

Will update here once it arrives:D I definitely spent way too long drooling over the stones on his site lol!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vendor sent me pics of this opalescent dream (2.65ct unheated Madagascar)... at $1k/ct that is. Someone help me as I have no self-control:cry:
1664071624794.jpg 1664071638127.jpg
1664073162599.png

Oh, snap that up. You’ll not see another anytime soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results