shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity grade based on clouds not shown

mokkzzz

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, first time user of pricescope and nice to meet you all!

I've come across a James Allen diamond (SKU 13274230) that has seemingly met my budget and specs:
Carat: 1.52
Cut: Triple AGS 0
Colour: G
Clarity: SI1
HCA score: 1.7
Upon closeup view of 360 video i noticed some wavyness/haziness. Further read of the AGS report says "clarity grade based on clouds not shown".

Light performance is probably just as important as carat, hence I'm look for super ideal cuts. Should I be concerned that light performance will be affected by the clouds?

www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.52-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-13274230

cert.jpeg

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
It's definitely a little cloudy/hazy, which would prompt me to keep looking for alternatives.

WF has some ACAs that you may want to take a closer look at. Here are but a couple:

Last edited:

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
Upon closeup view of 360 video i noticed some wavyness/haziness. Further read of the AGS report says "clarity grade based on clouds not shown".

Light performance is probably just as important as carat, hence I'm look for super ideal cuts. Should I be concerned that light performance will be affected by the clouds?

A SI1 with a clean plot and comment "clarity grade based on clouds not shown" sets off alarm bells for transparency issues. The video does show haziness.

I would personally pass on any stones that has transparency issues because light return would be affected even if it is well cut.

The WF options @DejaWiz posted above are far better super ideal options. The upgrade policy is also excellent with WF if you ever decide to upgrade down the track.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A SI1 with a clean plot and comment "clarity grade based on clouds not shown" sets off alarm bells for transparency issues. The video does show haziness.

I would personally pass on any stones that has transparency issues because light return would be affected even if it is well cut.

The WF options @DejaWiz posted above are far better super ideal options. The upgrade policy is also excellent with WF if you ever decide to upgrade down the track.

Ditto all of this

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually bought a diamond from JA that was SI1 based on clouds.

In person the clouds seem to have no effect in shade or in office lighting, but in bright sunlight there is definitely a haze.
I don’t mind since I was after a fancy gray diamond over 3+ ct and so I was just happy to find a well cut one in budget. and since it’s a fancy gray anyways, a little haze doesn’t bother me like it would if I was paying for a colorless diamond.

But I would pass if you’re looking for optimal light performance in all lighting.

Here it is in the shade:
00A5F349-A125-4869-A3B2-FE3462596E7E.jpeg

In the sunlight
4C7A7E91-429D-49FE-9707-09D0F40355A9.jpeg

And indoors:
8BFC2FEB-5D50-4FFE-BE37-D7517698D7D7.jpeg

mokkzzz

Rough_Rock
Is there generally a premium for WF's ACA branded diamonds (or similarly, james allen's H&A or bluenile's astor ideals)? Regardless, I'm thinking it may be worth it given the homework has essentially been done for you.

The 1.67 carat diamond that @DejaWiz linked is very attractive in terms of specs and price point. The only thing I'm unsure of is the "I" colour. What are people's thoughts in the context of the diamond overall?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Is there generally a premium for WF's ACA branded diamonds (or similarly, james allen's H&A or bluenile's astor ideals)? Regardless, I'm thinking it may be worth it given the homework has essentially been done for you.

The 1.67 carat diamond that @DejaWiz linked is very attractive in terms of specs and price point. The only thing I'm unsure of is the "I" colour. What are people's thoughts in the context of the diamond overall?

Yes, there is a bit of a premium for ACA because, quite simply, they are custom cut to very tight specifications which takes a lot of extra time to do and more rough lost during the process.
Same for Brian Gavin diamonds and JannPaul, to name a couple more.

JA True Hearts...eh, probably not so much custom cut, but likely selected from a bulk lot and given a quick view with an Ideal-Scope. I think the price premium for a TH from JA is a little steep for me, personally, but it can provide assurance and peace of mind for shoppers wanting to stick with JA. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the color grade, only you will know what your own tolerance and sensitivity levels are for tint saturation. Might be worthwhile to ask WF to take a video of the F and I side by side so you can get an idea of how each faces up and whether or you have acceptance or disdain for tint and try to narrow down what your limit is.

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
Yes, there is a bit of a premium for ACA because, quite simply, they are custom cut to very tight specifications which takes a lot of extra time to do and more rough lost during the process.
Same for Brian Gavin diamonds and JannPaul, to name a couple more.

JA True Hearts...eh, probably not so much custom cut, but likely selected from a bulk lot and given a quick view with an Ideal-Scope. I think the price premium for a TH from JA is a little steep for me, personally, but it can provide assurance and peace of mind for shoppers wanting to stick with JA. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the color grade, only you will know what your own tolerance and sensitivity levels are for tint saturation. Might be worthwhile to ask WF to take a video of the F and I side by side so you can get an idea of how each faces up and whether or you have acceptance or disdain for tint and try to narrow down what your limit is.

Agree with all this!

Will also add that with the color of the stone, also consider the metal color of the setting.

Yellow or rose gold is more accommodating when it comes to tint in the diamond.

That is not to say that you can't set I color in white gold/platinum though. Here is a recent post in the "Show Me the Bling!" forum with an 2.3ct I color ACA set in platinum and it is beautiful.

Also note that generally larger stones will show more tint than smaller ones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results