shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity Enhanced Diamond -- I want one, but should I?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mdg228|1375113484|3492469 said:
If you suggest going the synthetic route, where can I purchase a lab-created diamond? And what is the cost savings compared to white flash or blue nile?

Thanks!
We can't talk about it in this forum. You'd have to ask over in the man made diamonds section.

But white MMDs cost about the same as natural diamonds. So that's probably not the route you want.

I haven't been able to search too much, but just as an example. Here's a ring I've been watching on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-OFF-3-1ct-Antique-14K-White-Gold-Old-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-/281053211850

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you suggest going the synthetic route, where can I purchase a lab-created diamond? And what is the cost savings compared to white flash or blue nile?

Thanks!
Synthetics are not significantly cheaper than otherwise similar natural stones. Beware of claims of deep discounts. Those are synthetic, but they're not diamonds. BIG difference.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know the details, but I know that an acquaintance of mine brought their CE diamond in to a jeweler to be reset into another setting and have other work done (don't know what) and the diamond turned a yellow/brown color, I guess it was because of the enhancement used?

GoSounders

Shiny_Rock
denverappraiser|1375115829|3492482 said:
Synthetics are not significantly cheaper than otherwise similar natural stones. Beware of claims of deep discounts. Those are synthetic, but they're not diamonds. BIG difference.

Nope, lab-created diamonds are diamonds.

But you are correct that they're not significantly cheaper. They're also impossible to find in the OP's desired size in a white/near-white color.

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
What about this one? http://www.solomonbrothers.com/DiamondDetail.aspx?sku=6749YH88&affiliate=9318613A-AD0C-4530-A456-0409DFEFB8DE%20&utm_source=PriceScope

It’s 1.40ct 7.24-7.14mm and scored a 0.8 on the HCA calculator. It’s EGL but at G VS2 it should still be in the color and clarity range you’re looking for even if it’s lower than GIA standards. At less than $7000 you still come in at budget even with the setting.

I wouldn’t say that I would never buy a CE diamond but it would have to be something that was a killer deal and I’d set it in a bezel. Coming from a size whore, I’d rather have a natural 1.4ct than a 2ct CE. She may think she’s ok with clarity enhancement but I guarantee she’ll be happier with something natural even if it’s toward the smaller end of the desired size range. You can always put it in a halo setting to make it appear larger. It would only take one accident for her forever stone to be ruined if you went with a CE. Say you take it to the jeweler to get the ring sized and they forget to take the diamond out of the setting and melt the filler. I would be devastated if that happened to me.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The problem with CE diamonds has more to do with the dealers and the labs than the stones. The process is to fill existing cracks and feathers with a material that makes them less visible without tools. With the right stones the effect is quite striking. With proper representation it’s a fine thing and it CAN make stones look better without raising the price all that much.

The problem is in the market. GIA and AGS won’t grade filled stones because the fill can be damaged after the inspection. The report is forever but the stone being sold may or may not be the same as when they looked at it. That’s a reasonable decision on their part but it’s opened up a whole wild-west scenario for grading these things.

The GIA clarity grading scale DOES NOT APPLY. The problem is that in the GIA language there is no difference between a feather and a filled feather. There is no difference between a feather that filled so well that it’s almost invisible, and a feather where the filling made it worse. That means that any dealer who is giving you a clarity grade is not only not using GIA grading, they aren’t even using the GIA grading scale. Therein is the first big problem. One graders idea of SI1-CE can be very different from someone else’s. The range is huge. We’re talking about stones that look to me like I2’s being sold as VS1’s. No harm – no foul, they can call it anything they want since they get to invent their own grading scales. Pair this with significant difference in the way people see color and you’re looking at a significant range of products with the same descriptions. What you’re seeing may indeed be the best deal, or it may just be coming from the biggest liar. They rather specifically discourage comparing apples to apples where, for example, you look at several G/SI1-CE’s over a variety of dealers and pick the best. Instead want you to notice that GIAxxx/G/SI1’s at the specialty jewelry stores cost more. Yes, they do. So?

The other big zinger comes with cutting. Most people are buying CE stones because they like the price point vs. the description and good cutting usually drops the weight without changing color or clarity. Again, we’re already not talking about stones graded by GIA standards so the whole concept of cut grading is now on the table. Heavier makes drive up the price, brighter makes don’t. Stones are normally cut to maximize weight, not beauty and many of the dealers will throw around words like ‘ideal’ and ‘light performance’ rather lightly when customers bring up the topic. Folks like the ones here who get into the minutia of what makes one stone better or worse than another are few and far between in this market and both the dealers and the cutters know it. They’re cutting to fill a particular niche, and that niche is big sizes and low prices for a particular set of reported clarity/color specs.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GoSounders|1375118489|3492510 said:
denverappraiser|1375115829|3492482 said:

Nope, lab-created diamonds are diamonds.

But you are correct that they're not significantly cheaper. They're also impossible to find in the OP's desired size in a white/near-white color.
Sorry to be unclear. There's a whole industry of people selling things that look rather like diamonds that are not and that are very inexpensive. The ads proudly feature discussion of recent developments in synthetic diamonds and that their synthetics are cheap. True, but their cheap synthetics aren't diamonds. If it costs $100/carat or if sizes over a carat or so are readily available, be very cautious. Synthetic diamonds cost about like mined diamonds and 2 carats is beyond huge.

GoSounders

Shiny_Rock
denverappraiser|1375128882|3492622 said:
Sorry to be unclear. There's a whole industry of people selling things that look rather like diamonds that are not and that are very inexpensive. The ads proudly feature discussion of recent developments in synthetic diamonds and that their synthetics are cheap. True, but their cheap synthetics aren't diamonds. If it costs $100/carat or if sizes over a carat or so are readily available, be very cautious. Synthetic diamonds cost about like mined diamonds and 2 carats is beyond huge.

No worries. There's an important distinction that has to be made between man-made/lab-created/synthetic diamonds and synthetic diamond-like simulants/imitations.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks!

You say this, then you said in your very first post,
"(2) She doesn't care -- while I can't get her a CZ or anything synthetic, she's ok with a CE stone (I don't understand her logic, but, what can you do?...)"

I'm not trying to heckle you, but it makes no sense that you would consider going down the lab-created route, because that is a synthetic diamond. Let's say you got the clarity enhanced stone, or a lab-created and she is showing off her ring to friends and someone was trying to figure out where she got her ring, etc, etc because it's so pretty, she wants one just like it! Do you think she would be full disclosure and tell the truth about her stone, that's it's been chemically enhanced or that it's not an authentic diamond? If you feel 10000% the answer would be yes, and she would be loud and proud about it, I would consider that route. However, if there's any thought in your mind where she might not, then I'd go with getting an authentic high quality stone. You will be surprised at how much you could get for $7500, especially if you're open to the second hand market! Getting an authentic high quality stone means you will never have to worry about stuff like discoloration, loss of luster, breaking, milkiness, etc etc. Plus, this is something that I'm hoping she will wear forever, so wouldn't you want quality over quantity? The bonus with going with GoG or Brian Gavin is that they, and many other vendors have wonderful upgrade policies, so once you're making it rain after your PhD program, you two can always discuss upgrading in the future.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spending $7500 on a CE stone is like using your money for toilet paper. Just get a nice real diamond.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1375131344|3492650 said:
Spending $7500 on a CE stone is like using your money for toilet paper. Just get a nice real diamond.

This just cracked me up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about any of these, OP?? I know the tables are a bit large on the K stones, but... they are also giving you a larger spread of 7.39-7.47 mm. (It's a trade-off, KWIM?!) :halo:

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
I think everyones has provided you with more information than I ever could. I love big diamonds and am willing to compromise on clarity and color (I like lower colored old cut stones, but that's just me), but I would also rather have a colored gemstone than a CE diamond (heck, I'd rather have a plain band).

I think there's a common tendency to get stuck in a rut. You think you've considered all your options and a CE diamond is what's best for you given your circumstances. I would caution you to listen to what the very knowledgable people here are telling you. They know what they're talking about. You see posts on PS all the time where people say they wish they'd listened to the advice they got here. You posted here because you wanted to hear what people have to say, and the overwhelming response is that CE diamonds aren't worth the money and are high risk. There have been a number of links to diamonds or rings in your price range, and I really think you and your girlfriend would be happier down the road with something like what you're seeing here. These people can find smokin' deals on diamonds and you can get the best of all worlds - a natural diamond with your preferred specifications and within your budget!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG that is so funny. I hope you we have convinced you. I totally agree!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of our members, San Diego Lady had a CE stone she was selling.

If you are going to go this route (and I really don't recommend it at all), I highly suggest trying to find one in good shape (appraisal) second hand. I wouldn't pay the ridiculous full prices for CE stones. I'd get a synthetic first .

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
found a few others that fall within your specs and budget!

http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-1-50-Carat-J-color-GIA-certified/D-G069SY (get some pictures first though to make sure its eye clean, but with those twinning wisps, sounds like it could be )

i think these picturse show a little more color than it actaully has, but id ask ritani to double ck the color, see just how tinted it is.

http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-1-52-Carat-J-color-GIA-certified/D-TJJSN2

with this ring would be stunning and right around 7500
http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-diamond-tulip-cathedral-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/5336

(do it in 14k rose gold and it would be really pretty, the J color would look good, and it would give a lot of impact on a necklace!)

dont get discourage from everybodys nay saying about CE... i do say avoid it, but dip down in color (a J is still considered near colorless you know!! :D ) and you dont have to compromise in stone quality!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1375135601|3492693 said:

If you are cracked up you might want to get your cracks filled.
You'll look better but stay out of acid baths and temps over 2000 degrees. :lol:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
There is a big difference between MMD and synthetic stones such as CZ or Ashas but as Neil said we are prohibited from discussing them on this forum. The mods have allowed some discussion if it remained educational in context so perhaps a discussion of the differences would be permitted? Ella??

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Suddenly, the birds fell silent and the wind withdrew. The sky turned black and the grass withered into nothing. All the people froze. The world became colourless and all the animals began to run, fly or swim away from this apocalyptic place as quickly as they could, clutching their precious jewels. For it had been pronounced that clarity-enhanced diamonds would replace natural diamonds and there would be no more sparkle and the world would darken -

Oh! I'm sorry. I was having a nightmare. :lol:

Seriously though, for your very healthy budget, you could have one of nature's most beautiful gifts - a real, natural diamond that is so well-cut that its sparkle will live forever and you will never tire of looking into its mysterious depths.

Just my opinion! :D

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1375204840|3493147 said:
Suddenly, the birds fell silent and the wind withdrew. The sky turned black and the grass withered into nothing. All the people froze. The world became colourless and all the animals began to run, fly or swim away from this apocalyptic place as quickly as they could, clutching their precious jewels. For it had been pronounced that clarity-enhanced diamonds would replace natural diamonds and there would be no more sparkle and the world would darken -

Oh! I'm sorry. I was having a nightmare. :lol:

Seriously though, for your very healthy budget, you could have one of nature's most beautiful gifts - a real, natural diamond that is so well-cut that its sparkle will live forever and you will never tire of looking into its mysterious depths.

Just my opinion! :D

I just want you to know Smith that I was sitting on the edge of my seat, face 2 inches from the screen- reading with baited breath! You should have kept on going! LOL :lol:

Op- I hope you are taking the great advise offered!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1375149288|3492846 said:
msop04|1375135601|3492693 said:

If you are cracked up you might want to get your cracks filled.
You'll look better but stay out of acid baths and temps over 2000 degrees. :lol:

I hear ya! :bigsmile: ;))

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
You've received a lot of good advice, look thru this thread and see what you can do for under $5k with a real diamond:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-e-rings-under-5k.184135/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-e-rings-under-5k.184135/[/URL]

If your lady is open to this go thru these threads and look at the unbelievably gorgeous five stone rings and eternity bands you could do with-in your budget: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-diamond-eternity-bands.51825/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-diamond-eternity-bands.51825/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/[/URL]

Not all of the rings in these threads would come in under your budget, but many would/could be made for $7k or less, especially the five stone rings, and they are gorgeous!

Jojocouger7

Rough_Rock
My hubby and I just celebrated our 10 yr annuversary. After about 6 months of research, I weighed up the options of buying an eye clean large diamond but for a great price. I bought a RB 2.52 ct CE diamond off EBay from Briiliant Rocks in USA, and it is a D SI1 (after enhancement) with excellent polish, symmetry and ideal cut grade. I got the price down to $9,000 AUD and I was pretty nervous and anxious about what was going to turn up in the mail.. It is absolutely gorgeous!! It is so spakly, white, absolutely eye clean. and BIG. it was so flawless that I took my diamond to an independent jeweller/appraiser to make sure it was in fact a diamond and he was amazed at the quality and price and commented that if his wife ever wanted a larger stone, he would do exactly the same as me and buy her a CE diamond. He is now setting it for me and I will post pics once he has finished.. Very excited!
I just wated to put this thread out there as I respect everybody's opinion but there is so much negativity about CE diamonds.. Not everyone can afford $20,00 or $30,000 for un untreated diamond.. So I say do lots of research and spend time looking for that special diamond.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
NO if you have a choice why would you. I have friends that had no clue when they got engaged and found out later. But if you are buying no matter what your budget you can find a beautiful stone without it being enhanced.....

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Thanks!

Why would you buy a synthetic stone you have a great budget. You say she doesn't car then buy her the best ideal cut stone you can for $7,500.

So silly what girl that had a SO with that budget would even consider a fake man made stone. The brillance of a natural diamond is bar none. Everytime i looked at my hand I would think wow seven grand for a factory diamond.

Rather buy a car or house if I had to wear a cz of fake or one that had drill holes to take out the carbon CE yadda yadd.

Don't understand where your head is thinking You have a nice budget buy her a nice stone....Sorry Just couldn't hold back

Behacad

Shiny_Rock
For 7500 can't you get a 1.3 H + eye-clean SI1 perfectly cut?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Behacad|1389106270|3588162 said:
For 7500 can't you get a 1.3 H + eye-clean SI1 perfectly cut?
NO!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results