shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity characteristic diagrams worth more?

parkour

Rough_Rock
Been looking into diamonds that are less than 1ct. I came across a few GIA that have clarity characteristic diagrams but most don't. Would diamonds with these diagrams be worth more?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe - in general - diamonds <1ct don’t have clarity plots on the GIA reports unless specifically requested/paid for. It’s not a matter of ‘this diamond is worth more’; it’s a matter of you can tell what is where in terms of the inclusions on the ones with clarity plots.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Leaving off the skilled employee drawn clarity plots and creating a slightly less costly Dossier Report with a laser inscription for identification in place of the plot was mostly to compete and fill a need for faster turn-around times, less expense and something a bit more modern that has become successful. The exact placement of clarity inclusions and surface blemishes remains important to desirability and exact final price of each diamond, but the consequences have less total impact on diamonds of lower weight than on larger weight diamonds. Many clarity plots don't do a very good job depicting what is in the diamond and often miss the location to some extent, but they are useful for most re-identification and for making buying decisions. When I do an appraisal on a diamond with a full GIA, AGS, etc created report with a plot and I find I agree with the plot, I don't make a new one. If the plot does not depict the diamond quite properly, then I make a new one and put it on my report. Truthfully, that plot is most for my own re-identification use, but it may someday prove very useful to a client in showing a recovered item is the diamond they once had in their possession.

A clarity plot on a report shows the condition of the diamond on the date of the report. If there are nicks, chips, etc that are on the diamond when it is being re-examined, that is another reason to plot it again.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Been looking into diamonds that are less than 1ct. I came across a few GIA that have clarity characteristic diagrams but most don't. Would diamonds with these diagrams be worth more?

They might cost a few dollars more to cover the cost of the report. Old Miner hits the nail on the head about the placement of inclusions being more important in larger diamonds, but personally, I like the transparency of having plots on the reports of the diamonds I sell. Since you are not sitting in a room with me, you have to rely on what I am seeing and my description of it to you.

If you can see the plot, you will have a better idea of what I am describing to you.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results