shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing between 2 (HCA0.8 and HCA1.7)

Bowierock

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I’m deciding between 2 diamonds, which one do you think is better?

Diamond # 1 - https://www.bluenile.com/hk/diamond-details/LD12378623
0.9 J VS1
6.12 x 6.16 x 3.85
62.7 depth
56 table
36 crown
40.6 pavilion
HCA 1.7
Gia XXX

Diamonds # 2 https://www.bluenile.com/hk/diamond-details/LD12587997
0.9 I SI1
6.19 x 6.15 x 3.82 mm
62 depth
56 table
34.5 crown
40.6 pavilion
GIA XXX
HCA 0.8
Should be eye clean

Diamond 2 looks good to me and better colour but the arrows are not as sharp. also the HCA is 0.8 and I read that there’s a general consensus that under 1 HCA score could be a concern? Should I be worried about and HCA 0.8? I won’t be able to check with IS or AEST so have to rely on the videos and specs.

Diamond 1 is J colour but seems to be very clean and white looking, maybe because it is VS1?

Which would be a better buy?

Looking for your expert opinions, thanks very much!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both look good, but I don't like that the first one e is deeper than 62.4 (often the recommended max depth), and has a steep crown .

HCA under 2 is considered acceptable, and there's no "better" or "worse" . Some people think stones under 1 on the HCA might be better for earrings or necklaces, but I don't think that's been "proven" one way or the other.

The second stone has better proportions overall so I would go with that one.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 has 'safer' proportions, further away from the extremes of the crown angles that still work, so would be a safer bet in that sense, but if it's not that 'crisp' then perhaps there are clouds affecting light performance?

I'd be tempted to take a punt on #1 if the vendor has good Returns policies (you don't state if it's a PS-recommended vendor or a local shop?) - it could be super-firey with the high crown and smaller table :)

Can you see them side-by-side to see which you prefer?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
#2 has 'safer' proportions, further away from the extremes of the crown angles that still work, so would be a safer bet in that sense, but if it's not that 'crisp' then perhaps there are clouds affecting light performance?

I'd be tempted to take a punt on #1 if the vendor has good Returns policies (you don't state if it's a PS-recommended vendor or a local shop?) - it could be super-firey with the high crown and smaller table :)

Can you see them side-by-side to see which you prefer?

Both of these are listed on Blue Nile.

OP, prefer #2. Much prefer the clarity characteristics of #2 rather than #1

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, prefer #2. Much prefer the clarity characteristics of #2 rather than #1
My gut instinct was to say go with the VS1 for guaranteed eye-clean, but that SI1 is very eye-clean - I can't see any inclusions!

On that basis, and given it's also higher colour, the I SI1 would indeed be a good buy :)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Between the two, I

I wish there were anything suitable on the H&A lists - it a great trick WWW , WWW, et al. , but...

Bowierock

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the feedback!

Unfortunately I can’t see them side by side so will need to rely on the vids & numbers

I really liked the look for #1 to start as it looks very clean and sharp and not that yellow. Then I got concerned with the 62.7 depth and started looking for another. On HCA it is within FIC range rather than TIC. So my question is is 62.7 too deep and is the only impact that it would look smaller?

#2 the proportions look better but perhaps the lower clarity is causing the fatter arrows? I’m not really sure what should I be looking for, are the fatter arrows and less crisp outline meaning there’s a problem or it would be less sparkly?

Would 1.7 HCA be a better pick than 0.8hca?

Price wise they are similar, no2 is marginally more exy.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not worry too much about the 62.7% depth - the HCA tool giving a score under 2 indicates the crown and pavilion angles work together (amongst other things) so it should not present any issues.

The fatter arrows on #2 are because the Lower Girdle Facets are 75% (whereas #1 has 80% LGFs). Shorter LGFs give fatter arrows.

FIC vs TIC... that is personal taste. I love coloured fire so the FIC would be an attractive option to me personally.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the feedback!

Unfortunately I can’t see them side by side so will need to rely on the vids & numbers

I really liked the look for #1 to start as it looks very clean and sharp and not that yellow. Then I got concerned with the 62.7 depth and started looking for another. On HCA it is within FIC range rather than TIC. So my question is is 62.7 too deep and is the only impact that it would look smaller?

#2 the proportions look better but perhaps the lower clarity is causing the fatter arrows? I’m not really sure what should I be looking for, are the fatter arrows and less crisp outline meaning there’s a problem or it would be less sparkly?

Would 1.7 HCA be a better pick than 0.8hca?

Price wise they are similar, no2 is marginally more exy.
The fatter arrows are due to the lower girdle, nothing to do with clarity. I personally prefer the second one because the numbers are "safer" and GIA rounds values, plus I prefer the fatter arrows.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Oops!

I emant to say that I prefer the first I diamond. Between the two I colur ones, the most prominent difference is the apparentl arrows pattern on the first - I would wish for this detail (although the stone might not be as precisely cut as an intended H&A), admitting this is a matter of taste...

2c

Bowierock

Rough_Rock
Wait, I'm confused. You want 2 matching stones for earrings? I thought you were deciding on one between two options.
I’m wanted to choose between the 2 to match with the third. But want to pick the best two of the bunch. In case also down the track if I decide to use them for rings or side stones!

So just seeing thoughts on the third too :razz:

Bowierock

Rough_Rock
Oops!tt

I emant to say that I prefer the first I diamond. Between the two I colur ones, the most prominent difference is the apparentl arrows pattern on the first - I would wish for this detail (although the stone might not be as precisely cut as an intended H&A), admitting this is a matter of taste...

2c
Ah ok thanks! Yeah agreed the arrows are not as clear in the third. None of them are H&A diamonds but I like that feature definitely. So I guess you would still choose the two I coloured ones regardless?

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
So I guess you would still choose the two I coloured ones regardless?

Yes. Not that the difference of colour is enormous - just some reason to favor (how these grades work!)

Bowierock

Rough_Rock
Yes. Not that the difference of colour is enormous - just some reason to favor (how these grades work!)
Sorry I think I confused myself. So the first diamond is the one with the high crown and J colour. So you mean the second and third are better picks cos of the colour grade?

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Bowierock

Rough_Rock
Hello all, thanks so much for the feedback so far, I really appreciate it!

The vendor has confirmed diamond #2 is eye clean with no milkiness or cloudiness. They can't tell me where the inclusions are and I just wanted to see your thoughts on buying an SI1 diamond and anything I need to worry about even if it is eye clean...would there be any optical performance issue? Does eye clean mean I won't be able to see any inclusions?

This is the still picture on the website, I can't spot where any of the inclusions are, can you? Possibly on the right side of the top arrow?

Secondly, in terms of keeping its value, would SI1 I vs VS1 J be better?

Thanks very much!!

still.jpg

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Secondly, in terms of keeping its value, would SI1 I vs VS1 J be better?

It depends. All diamonds “depreciate” the moment you buy them (like cars). The only ones that don’t really do so are from vendors that have a good upgrade and/or buyback policies.

ALRAAA

Rough_Rock
It depends. All diamonds “depreciate” the moment you buy them (like cars). The only ones that don’t really do so are from vendors that have a good upgrade and/or buyback policies.
How much % back would one get for a diamond that originated from such vendors?
Why aren't they sold here?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much % back would one get for a diamond that originated from such vendors?
Why aren't they sold here?

Many of the preferred vendors here on PS have buy back policies. You can go to their individual websites for the details.

Nothing is sold here on PS though. These policies are well published on vendor websites.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you sell a stone on the secondary market, I would expect to only get back between 40-60% of retail price (but it’s a crapshoot). With vendors that have buy back policies, they could give you back 70-80%.

Upgrade however is where the magic happens. Some vendors say we give you 100% of the value to use against a new stone and you only need to spend $1 more on the new stone (HPD, WF and Victor Canera I think), others say spend $1 more and you upgrade 2 of colour, clarity and carat (BGD) and the worst of all, your new stone must be double what you paid for your original stone (James Allen, Blue Nile and a whole host of other vendors that sell virtual inventory).

Bowierock

Rough_Rock
Hi all - any advice on whether to take the SI1? It's eye clean confirmed but they told me, the inclusions are small but several. There's also a small black inclusion on the crown. The inclusions on the report are feather and crystal. If confirmed eye clean then would I still be able to see them?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all - any advice on whether to take the SI1? It's eye clean confirmed but they told me, the inclusions are small but several. There's also a small black inclusion on the crown. The inclusions on the report are feather and crystal. If confirmed eye clean then would I still be able to see them?

I think I can notice them in the vid (see my markups to a pic of the I SI1)
C7966DCF-37C2-4701-B155-32A508D31FDC.jpeg

Center has the crystal (which may not be located there but could be a refection). Out near the girdle on the left, I think that could be the feather. Maybe.

I think at normal eye clean viewing distances, it should be eye clean.

Bowierock

Rough_Rock
I think I can notice them in the vid (see my markups to a pic of the I SI1)
C7966DCF-37C2-4701-B155-32A508D31FDC.jpeg

Center has the crystal (which may not be located there but could be a refection). Out near the girdle on the left, I think that could be the feather. Maybe.

I think at normal eye clean viewing distances, it should be eye clean.
Wow thanks so much. I noticed some imperfection but can’t really spot what is what! I’m having a hard time deciding if I’ll be ok with the inclusions.

Is that crystal dark or light? I just don’t want to be bugged by a dark dot right in the middle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results