shape
carat
color
clarity

Change in plans in the ringband could you guys give me input

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
After much searching and a lot of help from gypsy and others here in the forum I know what I'm after in the diamond part, I'm now trying to find the perfect one.
Because "the cat is already out of the box" I have been fishing for here perfect ringband.
And this comes maybe not as a shocker but I was way out on that one too..
She is dreaming about a very thin solitar ring, thinnest possible, and not round, more like square'ish, Adding a picture of a pic she showed me.
Could I go thinner if the ring is "thicker" in hight? If that make sense.
For prongs I had right, thin minimalistic prongs that show the diamond from the side, with no basket that hides it from the side.
I'm
Adding a picture of that too.
I was wondering about your thoughts of this kind of ring, could I ask for the prongs to be square'ish and with the same measures like the ring? So the prongs are more thin and sharper than usual?
And I guess 6 prongs will be the safest?

_5392.jpeg

_5393.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Change in plans in the ringband could you guys give me i

Okay, let's start with some terminology. We are talking about a setting (not ringband). This will be pretty easy because solitaires are plentiful! Have you bought the diamond, first of all? Because we need to look at settings from the diamond vendor first. Thinnest possible is 1.8-2mm to be relatively durable. She wants the top of the shank to be flat and not rounded, with 6 prong Tiffany style head with tiny claw prongs.

Oberst

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1471803488|4068377 said:
Okay, let's start with some terminology. We are talking about a setting (not ringband). This will be pretty easy because solitaires are plentiful! Have you bought the diamond, first of all? Because we need to look at settings from the diamond vendor first. Thinnest possible is 1.8-2mm to be relatively durable. She wants the top of the shank to be flat and not rounded, with 6 prong Tiffany style head with tiny claw prongs.
Ok, I tought ringband was the ring around the finger, and the setting was the thing that holds the diamond, gypsy have tried to give me a lesson, but apparently I'm a slow learner.. Lol.
I haven't found a diamond yet, but my goal is a 2ct round brilliant.
Maybe I'm way off but the person who are creating the ring, can't they form the ring as they're like? So if I want square corners they can make it from the ring and make the prongs as I wish? Or do I have to find the one I like from a menu from already made, and they just fit the diamond in the setting?

Oberst

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1471804309|4068380 said:
Here's a quality nicer one than the one you just posted.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/contemporary-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-1416.htm

Tell me your budget again and I will show you some diamond options.
The one you linked was fine, but I'm trying to find a little more square'ish and a little more plain and simple.
My budget is 25k$ Max for the ring and the diamond. But I'm not from the us, I'm traveling to NY for a weekend so I need to order the ring before I'm going there so it's ready for me when I've arrive. Going to propose to my girl while I'm there.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just go for a custom setting from either Steven or IDJ.

Don't.worry about it for now. I will help you with it after you pick a stone.vendor. IDJ has a handforge bench, and Steven is Steven.

The entire ring a center stone is set into is called the setting. The shank is what you are calling the ringband, the baskst is what holds the stone.

:wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, I see. Choose the diamond first. As Gypsy said, then we can help you with the setting. I'd love to go with Steven, but I am not sure that is necessary when you are wanting a very common solitaire setting. That's likely a style that IDJ can order for you if you are buying a stone from them.

Oberst

Shiny_Rock

idj and Steven are the two I'm talking to now, idj are going to send me some options tomorrow I think.
Steven have this one waiting for me, he sent me a video of it in the office and outside and it was really beautiful!
But then again I don't think I could tell the difference from a perfect and not so perfect

_1349.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you want to go with Steven, then focus on having him find you a diamond. It really isn't good to have two diamond vendors going to the trouble of bringing in stones to video for you. I only do that with the vendor I am planning to buy from. They basically have access to the same diamonds available in NYC. So if you want Steven to make the setting, then continue with them. If you want IDJ, which likely will mean a less expensive setting, then go with them. Then give the one you choose the setting picture above and just add that you want the shank 1.8-2mm and you want it to have 6 delicate claw prongs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I will add this, though. In a 2 ct stone, I'd rather have a G VS2 over an F SI1.

Oberst

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1471806245|4068392 said:
If you want to go with Steven, then focus on having him find you a diamond. It really isn't good to have two diamond vendors going to the trouble of bringing in stones to video for you. I only do that with the vendor I am planning to buy from. They basically have access to the same diamonds available in NYC. So if you want Steven to make the setting, then continue with them. If you want IDJ, which likely will mean a less expensive setting, then go with them. Then give the one you choose the setting picture above and just add that you want the shank 1.8-2mm and you want it to have 6 delicate claw prongs.
I'm totally agree with you, the thing is I started to rush to find a diamond and didn't know how this industry worked before I've asked them, just read Steven and idj was the way to go so I've sent them a message and said hello.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, well, if IDJ is getting back with you tomorrow, post what they show you. Then after that, choose to work with them or Steven.

Oberst

Shiny_Rock

Yes that is my plan :) thank you

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006 said:
I will add this, though. In a 2 ct stone, I'd rather have a G VS2 over an F SI1.
I just wanted to cosign on this.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just to let you know what I think. I think the below is perfect for her.
http://stevenkirsch.com/gallery/ring-princessa-diamonds-solitaire-platinum-pave/ But instead of single prongs on the stone. I would have the prongs split where they meet the girdle of the stone like this (head on shot): http://stevenkirsch.com/gallery/ring-devotion-solitaire-diamonds-platinum/ That will square off the stone and offer additional support for the stone.

I would do the pave on the basket. It would be beautiful and something that is a surprise that will make it unique to her, no one else will have anything like it.

But no, I would not go for 6 prongs if she wants the stone squared off. And yes, you need the support bar on the side of the stone for support. So I would go ahead and pave it just to make it special.

Oberst

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy|1471839995|4068520 said:
Just to let you know what I think. I think the below is perfect for her.
http://stevenkirsch.com/gallery/ring-princessa-diamonds-solitaire-platinum-pave/ But instead of single prongs on the stone. I would have the prongs split where they meet the girdle of the stone like this (head on shot): http://stevenkirsch.com/gallery/ring-devotion-solitaire-diamonds-platinum/ That will square off the stone and offer additional support for the stone.

I would do the pave on the basket. It would be beautiful and something that is a surprise that will make it unique to her, no one else will have anything like it.

But no, I would not go for 6 prongs if she wants the stone squared off. And yes, you need the support bar on the side of the stone for support. So I would go ahead and pave it just to make it special.
Please excuse my English, I can see its misunderstood, when I'm writing square I meant only the ring not the stone, like this
She wants something like this instead of something like this :

_5407.jpeg

_5408.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh. You mean a squared off shank. That is helpful. Thank you.

Yes, the before description was very confusing. I see. I'll see what I can suggest.

Again, get the stone, we'll worry about the setting then.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oberst

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy|1471849153|4068538 said:
Yes the shank in this ring is very good, I really like it to be flat, but too much happening on the side with the prongs, but the other one you posted the prongs was very minimalistic and nice

Edit: I see that you wrote ask for basket like the other ring now :) sorry.. I think this setting could be perfect!

Oberst

Shiny_Rock

Is it a way I can upload the video of the diamond Steven sent me? I'm
Trying to upload attachment but are just getting an error message

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lovely so far.

Idealscope?

Oberst

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy|1472015653|4069340 said:
Lovely so far.

Idealscope?
I believe I'm going to get it today :) just wanted to check about the twinning wisp in the stone first, so I know it's nothing to worry about :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

The vendor would have to review the stone and give you their opinion on that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results