shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
Well after a year of lurking, PS finally got me - I made my first gem purchase today! I couldn't resist the cut of this blue topaz! Reminds me of a french cut - I hope it's as nice in person.

3.57ct_topaz_1_1024x1024.jpg

Do you think it'll work to put it in this type of setting? I thought 10x7mm would be an easy size to find, but turns out it's totally not.

141330.3.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose Gold looks bad against my skin tone so of course I would go with Yellow gold. How does Rose look against your skin tone?

I look fine in RG (even bought an entire bangle made from RG).

Do you think the gold would alter the colour of the stone? I am more worried the colour of the gold would affect the colour of the stone although I don't see it happening much in diamonds so I assume it would be ok here.

YG would be super pretty too!!!! Ahh decisions, decisions!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I took a break today and went on Dana's site. I saw a really nice bi-colored tourmaline (yellow and pink) which he said you "either love or hate." I started to think "Hmmmmm.......why does that seem so familiar to me?"

Then I remembered I bought a big old pink/yellow tourmaline from him years ago. I had forgotten about it. I think from memory it's over 4 carats. I found it in a plain white box in my jewelry box. :doh:I took a picture of it in the rain today.

009.JPG

@LisaRN
Lisa, I looked and looked and for the life of me couldn't see any yellow. It looks like a normal, pretty pink tourmaline. Then I ran to Dana's site and couldn't find the pink and yellow there either. So I'm batting two for two. :wall:

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I look fine in RG (even bought an entire bangle made from RG).

Do you think the gold would alter the colour of the stone? I am more worried the colour of the gold would affect the colour of the stone although I don't see it happening much in diamonds so I assume it would be ok here.

YG would be super pretty too!!!! Ahh decisions, decisions!

Yellow gold looks super with green! And no, it won't alter the color of the stone. I vote for yellow gold!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks to the lovely ladies @Bluegemz and @Burmesedaze I caught the jade bangle fever. Try as I might I could not like the green that was within my budget. I was also wary of buying a treated low quality piece.
While at the gem show here in Houston I tried on the few bangles that would go over my large american girl hand and figured out that I didn't like black either. It was too harsh on my skin. So what to do? Imperial green was waaay beyond my limited means, so I stopped looking. Then the ruby bangle appeared. What a treasure! I almost cried when I saw that it shattered. And I started looking again.

Enter Jade Diver. OMG this guy dives off the coast of California and brings up his own jade boulders. How cool is that? I scoured his site for months and settled on a brown and white Siberian jade bangle. I love neutrals and my entire wardrobe is cream and brown shades. (Sometimes a splash of red).

It came today. I'm so excited!
siberian bangle.jpg 20180223_153217.jpg 20180223_160130 (1).jpg 20180223_160405.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to the lovely ladies @Bluegemz and @Burmesedaze I caught the jade bangle fever. Try as I might I could not like the green that was within my budget. I was also wary of buying a treated low quality piece.
While at the gem show here in Houston I tried on the few bangles that would go over my large american girl hand and figured out that I didn't like black either. It was too harsh on my skin. So what to do? Imperial green was waaay beyond my limited means, so I stopped looking. Then the ruby bangle appeared. What a treasure! I almost cried when I saw that it shattered. And I started looking again.

Enter Jade Diver. OMG this guy dives off the coast of California and brings up his own jade boulders. How cool is that? I scoured his site for months and settled on a brown and white Siberian jade bangle. I love neutrals and my entire wardrobe is cream and brown shades. (Sometimes a splash of red).

siberian bangle.jpg 20180223_153217.jpg 20180223_160130 (1).jpg 20180223_160405.jpg
Congratulations, Suzanne! It’s GORGEOUS! Allan is a consummate jade artist. Your bangle is exquisite!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, Suzanne! It’s GORGEOUS! Allan is a consummate jade artist. Your bangle is exquisite!

Really? I know I like it, but knowing the quality is out of my league. Thank you!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really? I know I like it, but knowing the quality is out of my league. Thank you!
Allan sculpts beautiful bangles, and has an eye for getting high quality nephrite jades. Quality factors include texture, size, color, composition and flaws, especially fractures. Regional tastes can also factor into perceptions of quality. For example, the most expensive nephrite jade is driven by the market in China...it is the rare, mutton fat jade which had been in rivers for thousands of years. Usually it’s a creamy white, with very fine, even grain and beautiful translucence. Some Brown color mixed in is at times desired if it artistically placed. This is called sugar crust or sugar jade if it is all brown. What used to be considered less desirable in jade colors has been changing depending on the generation. For some, sugar crust would be seen as a not as desirable as pure white, but this is a matter of taste, and varies.
I believe what you have is mountain cream jade with sugar. Both Siberian nephrite and traditional mutton fat nephrite in China come from around the Himalayas and other ranges in Siberia. If it is found in the mountains, then it’s mountain jade. If it erodes and falls down into the rivers, it’s river jade. The texture varies depending. River jade is more sought after than mountain, but mountain jade can be very high quality.

Last edited:

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah,Bluegemz, you are a fountain of wonderful information. I simply asked for a bangle like the one on his site. He asked how much white I wanted (a factor in the pricing) and I said 1/2 and 1/2. What I did know was that I would get a completely untreated, highly polished bangle. It's huge and soft in a way I an't explain and is super conformable. I will ask him for more info on where the jade came from.
You are so generous with your knowledge. Thank you

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah,Bluegemz, you are a fountain of wonderful information. I simply asked for a bangle like the one on his site. He asked how much white I wanted (a factor in the pricing) and I said 1/2 and 1/2. What I did know was that I would get a completely untreated, highly polished bangle. It's huge and soft in a way I an't explain and is super conformable. I will ask him for more info on where the jade came from.
You are so generous with your knowledge. Thank you
I think it’s stunning. It looks like modern art to me, fitting a contemporary sensibility, in both color and proportion.

My husband and I have a pair of matching Siberian creme/sugar bangles from him which we adore, so I know what you are describing when you say huge and soft. Great description!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well after a year of lurking, PS finally got me - I made my first gem purchase today! I couldn't resist the cut of this blue topaz! Reminds me of a french cut - I hope it's as nice in person.

Do you think it'll work to put it in this type of setting? I thought 10x7mm would be an easy size to find, but turns out it's totally not.

141330.3.jpg

Congrats! I hope you love it in person.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys why does this spinel look cloudy? Curious as I've never seen one like this before.

SPL154f.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys why does this spinel look cloudy? Curious as I've never seen one like this before.

SPL154f.jpg

This is called a "sleepy" gemstone due to the micro-inclusions that scatter the light inside the stone. Therefore it is less sparkly and takes on a more glowing look. Some of our cc gem lovers covet sleepy stones for this reason.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seda gems usually has a lot of them. They are also referred to as “milky”. They kind of remind me of faceted rose quartz.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SPL154f.jpg

This is called a "sleepy" gemstone due to the micro-inclusions that scatter the light inside the stone. Therefore it is less sparkly and takes on a more glowing look. Some of our cc gem lovers covet sleepy stones for this reason.

I love how soft and glowy this gemstone is. It feels romantic and yes "sleepy". Reminds me of my kitties when their eyes are just closing in that sleepy way. I love this. :love:
Thanks for the explanation @LisaRN.:appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous bangle! And WOW I also love your ring. Beautiful all around.:love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline from JD! What a fascinating colour! I thought he posted the wrong pic of a peridot until I read the description and it actually is a Tourmaline!

28167063_1626373314148643_414844212218013644_n.jpg

Gosh I LOVE this. What an amazing color. I agree it looks like a peridot (my birthstone) and I love love love this cut.:love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

141330.3.jpg

This color is divine. Bluelicious in every way. Makes me want to dive in and take nice long swim in it. Heavenly. Congrats on your first gem purchase and I hope you love it as much in person. I think you will. It's really a gorgeous color! And I agree-it reminds me of a french cut too.:love:

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Today I sold a bunch of crap jewelry I never wear as scrap gold to the jeweler. Got about $850. Also dropped off a stone for him to do a quote for a ring. I think it will be in the 3-4k range. And the stone was only like $600! Ugh

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg that's a lot of money for the ring! What style did you want @Cockatiel? You using lots of diamonds?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah halo with maybe 6-8 pointers. Might just abort it if it's way above 3k.

Oooh that would be gorgeous!

Would you be willing to reduce the halo size?

Haha sorry for being nosy. I'm saving to set my tourmaline so I'm just sticky beaking at anyone who has a project going!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results