carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooh that would be gorgeous!

Would you be willing to reduce the halo size?

Haha sorry for being nosy. I'm saving to set my tourmaline so I'm just sticky beaking at anyone who has a project going!

Yeah reducing the halo size will bring down the cost I think. For the look I am going for I do need bigger melee unfortunately. I shouldn't be spending on jewelry right now anyways so I will probably end up putting it on the back burner.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you guys ever get random dumbass ideas when you are supposed to be focused on a certain project goal?

So JD is babysitting my stone while I save to get it made into a ring. I am also saving up for something jade and have been harping at Burmesedaze for like forever about it!

But then I browse around and I like these:

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...natural_Ruby_Pair_1_51_Tcw-Gem.php?FromPage=1

And I start to think "Ohh maybe I can buy them and make studs. I like them"

Issues are:

*They aren't green
*I don't even wear much red
*I barely remember to change my earrings
*I need to save for green things which are definitely my true love!

Anyways this is the kind of randomness I find myself engaging in at times. Is anyone else ever like this?

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you guys ever get random dumbass ideas when you are supposed to be focused on a certain project goal?

So JD is babysitting my stone while I save to get it made into a ring. I am also saving up for something jade and have been harping at Burmesedaze for like forever about it!

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...natural_Ruby_Pair_1_51_Tcw-Gem.php?FromPage=1

Issues are:

*They aren't green

Anyways this is the kind of randomness I find myself engaging in at times. Is anyone else ever like this?

Are you kidding? Who do you think you are talking to? We are the best enablers on the planet !. Why do you think I have a bowl of random stones next to my bed? IMG-20171121-WA0001.jpeg

I can barely focus on a goal before I'm off and shopping on every vendor site on the list. The pad thread almost killed me. I wanted every single stone that was used as an example . Fortunately, they were all far too expensive. I was drooling! they were gorgeous!

But in this case, I think you need to BACK AWAY FROM THE RUBIES!! :hand::naughty: Just think about that juicy green jade cabachon or your next seafoam tourmaline...yum

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Issues are:

*They aren't green

Pass! You can do better if you are after rubies!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Issues are:

*They aren't green

I waste a lot of time browsing jewelry and stones and of course get side tracked all the time. I haven't bought anything in at least 6 months except for the setting for my spessartite which was very cheap...I'm being sneaky and not counting it as a formal purchase. :lol: The only thing that's prevented me from buying stuff was I cancelled my credit card which was linked to PayPal account because I was restructuring my banking accounts. Since then I had been too lazy to update PayPal so I don't have a credit card linked to my PayPal. I can still purchase stuff online using my other credit cards but I prefer to use PayPal whenever so I haven't been buying anything for that reason. I'm gonna see if I can procrastinate even further and not link anything to PayPal as long as possible. I have a crazy folder where I store stone and jewelry pics for inspiration....as well as ridiculous Ebay and Etsy favorites list. :errrr:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ladies! I knew you'd understand! This is just one of the many many random ideas I get!

@suzanne2 your gem bowl cracked me up! We really are birds of a feather on this forum!

The other day I wanted to message JD about a purpley blue spinel. Except I don't like purple! Or blue :lol::wall:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pssst
I did more bad things!

I bought this:
U07-3.jpg
U07-5.jpg
U07-6.jpg
0.66 cts, round and probably easy to set. I need something to set in yellow gold! That's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night.

Oooh LOVE this. If this is bad then I never want to be good again.:love:
And YES to setting it in yellow gold. It's gonna be scrumptious.:love:

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have three empty settings and I keep buying stones that won't fit any of them.. there's another random dumbass idea :lol:

Bought this pretty one earlier this week. Excited to see it in person.

IMG_6889.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Deia that's gorgeous!!! Tourmaline?

Please post pics when you receive it!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, sorry forgot to type out details!

2.11ct Tourmaline (Congo)
7.61mm x 5.43mm

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have three empty settings and I keep buying stones that won't fit any of them.. there's another random dumbass idea :lol:

Bought this pretty one earlier this week. Excited to see it in person.

IMG_6889.jpg

Yes, sorry forgot to type out details!

2.11ct Tourmaline (Congo)
7.61mm x 5.43mm

Love the color. Ethereal. Dreamy. LOVE. :love: Can’t wait to see how you set it and hope one of your existing settings will fit it perfectly. :appl:

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missy well it MAY fit into my three stone setting - the center basket is meant to fit an 8mm round though. I will need to get 6mm side stones now though :bigsmile: Sidestone colour suggestions welcome!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Issues are:

*They aren't green

well sure most of us get distracted by yet another shiney object we don't need :lol::lol-2:
I have 2 boxes of settable stones (one of which I was supposed to set last year and didn't!!) and I'm still out there looking for...I don't know what anymore!:cry2:o_O:lol:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pssst
I did more bad things!

I bought this:
U07-3.jpg
U07-5.jpg
U07-6.jpg
0.66 cts, round and probably easy to set. I need something to set in yellow gold! That's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night.

high kt yellow? yes I'm enabling...lol

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well sure most of us get distracted by yet another shiney object we don't need :lol::lol-2:
I have 2 boxes of settable stones (one of which I was supposed to set last year and didn't!!) and I'm still out there looking for...I don't know what anymore!:cry2:o_O:lol:

This cracked me up!!!!! I'm lucky in the sense that I am a complete green fanatic so I can usually talk my way out of other colours.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had this tourmaline sitting around for about 10 years (!) and decided to set it. The ring arrived last week. I absolutely love the color of the stone, and could stare at it all day long.
IMG_9744.jpg IMG_9745.jpg IMG_9746.jpg

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had this tourmaline sitting around for about 10 years (!) and decided to set it. The ring arrived last week. I absolutely love the color of the stone, and could stare at it all day long.

10 years?? Wow! Then you set it with a bang!! How many other stones do you have lying around?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
10 years?? Wow! Then you set it with a bang!! How many other stones do you have lying around?
LOL. I have spessartite, tsavorite, and a red spinel out for setting, and all from 10+ years ago. I hate the wait!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I'm gonna stalk you, MrsKMB, because it sounds like your collection is all my very favorites. I can't wait for you to set them!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG what a gorgeous stone. That color TDF and your setting is so feminine and lovely. It does your stone justice. A gorgeous ring in every way. :love:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG what a gorgeous stone. That color TDF and your setting is so feminine and lovely. It does your stone justice. A gorgeous ring in every way. :love:
Aww, shucks...thank you! BTW, I'm trying to find a picture of my little kitty, but he blends into every background! Right now, he's stretched out on my lap, in kitty heaven!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow MrsKMB -I LOVE the setting...perfect for your beautiful tourmaline. I don't think you need our advice in buying stones ;-)

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I received quotes for a cluster ring with 8 pointer melee and 10 pointer melee from a local jeweler. It wasn't too bad but omg I have doubts about the melee cut quality now so I am going to scrap the idea. Plus I wanted V cut pave on the shank, which I think is unrealistic from a brick and mortar jewelry shop that's not used to doing that type of work anyways...I think if I went ahead and asked for V cut pave shank, the jeweler would have just done their normal pave with big metal walls.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Absolutely beautiful!! Where did you get th setting? I’m in love :roll2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
high kt yellow? yes I'm enabling...lol

okay so I have this plan! I need a lot of zen for it but I will try.

There are these dreadfully annoying people out in the suburbs who have the most awesome 18kt gold settings with LOTS of lovely sparkly melee at very very competitive prices. I will swallow my annoyance and go look for a setting there.

haha to avoid them being annoying I'm tempted to tell them it's glass so they can not be annoying about it!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
okay so I have this plan! I need a lot of zen for it but I will try.

There are these dreadfully annoying people out in the suburbs who have the most awesome 18kt gold settings with LOTS of lovely sparkly melee at very very competitive prices. I will swallow my annoyance and go look for a setting there.

haha to avoid them being annoying I'm tempted to tell them it's glass so they can not be annoying about it!

You mean for the round you bought? That would be awesome if you found a nice stock setting for it. I really wish I could trade all my non round stones with round ones. If I am starting all over again, I would only ever buy rounds or 6x8 to 8x10 calibrated ovals. Those are the easiests to set for me! Seriously I won't allow myself to buy anything else because I don't like the challenge of having to find settings lol.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mean for the round you bought? That would be awesome if you found a nice stock setting for it. I really wish I could trade all my non round stones with round ones. If I am starting all over again, I would only ever buy rounds or 6x8 to 8x10 calibrated ovals. Those are the easiests to set for me! Seriously I won't allow myself to buy anything else because I don't like the challenge of having to find settings lol.

Yes!!!! That is the great thing about rounds! Not a shape that will rock the world but so easy to set! And instant gratification!

But some of the wackier shapes are pretty thrilling though! I also found that perfect squares are also easy to set. Some settings with four prongs can be used to put in a square. My square spinel was put into a round stock setting.

This is why I like buying weird shapes from JD because I don't have to worry about setting it. He can always make a custom setting so basically as soon as I buy the stone I know it's going to be set.

I rang the pain-in-the-bottom shop just to warn them I was coming with a coloured stone. They said sure, come visit them etc etc. Then like 2 hours they ring me back and tell me what did my emerald look like cuz they can try to order me a cheaper one. So I'm politely and diplomatically saying "No thank you I think I will be ok with my stone I picked out myself."

Them: They are all similar we can get you one for cheaper.

Me: It's a complicated process but I really only want to stick with my stone.

Finally they let it go but I am bracing myself for the "This is worth $10 only why you pay so much" comments. I think they genuinely mean well but they HAVE NO IDEA!!!!!!!!!

Let's hope they don't chip it or anything! I was much more comfortable with the chinatown place cuz that guy is pro with coloured stones but I really want a setting from here, especially an 18K yellow one as their 18K yellow stuff is fab.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results