shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat... might have cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, everyone is just so wonderful on here. Thank you so much, all of you.

He''s well... swollen... his jaw/chin is twice it''s normal size. He''s eating pretty well though, soft wet food. The pain killers have him sleepy and he''s feeling very clingy. This morning I came down and sat on the couch for a couple of minutes and he sat between my legs, when I wanted to get up he gave me a reproachful look and reached out to hold my leg down. And just held it with his paws if I so much even thought of leaving him he''d hold tighter and look at me. So I settled in with the laptop to do some work and let him nap on me for a few hours. Then my fiance came home and we switched... I went to work to check in (fortunately I can work from home for the remainder of this project, with just periodic check ins) and now I''m back, he''s been following me around I he keeps trying to get me to lie down with him, which I probably will do after I post. He''s not usually a clingy cat, so I know that he''s hurting. I just talked to the vet about it and she recommended some hot compresses for his chin to help wth the swelling, and Ii''m about to get on that too. He''s a very good cat. I just never REALLY realized how defenseless and dependant on us he is... I mean, I knew it intellectually... but this is well... different.

UC Davis is where I went to undergrad so I am familiar with the quality of thier facilites. And I just got a long term job offer in the CA Bay Area-- San Jose. So it''s definitely in the cards that if he needs it, we''ll take him there for treatment. We''ll do whatever we can. I''ve already prepared to cancel our vacation plans at the end of this month (Austin), and to cancel the wedding if necessary. He''s our priority. Nothing else-- except the other babies and each other-- compares.

Noel is fine, actually once we took her to the vet and relieved the pressure in her gland she perked up immediately. She''s on antibiotics till the end of the week... but she''s clearly feeling much better and she''s healing nicely. Thanks for asking.

I''m off to cuddle my baby. ANd give him compresses. BIG HUGS to all of you... it''s really invaluable to be able to come here and see and feel the support and affection. I''ll let Duncan know you all asked about him. And again, THank you.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh what a sweet baby
emcat.gif
...wants his mom close to keep him company and make him feel better. We''re pulling for him. Chloe sends more head bonks.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gypsy...I just wanted to wish you and Duncan all the best
12.gif
I love my kitties (all animals really), and my heart goes out to you
emlove.gif
You should be proud that your kitty has such a loving home.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Oh, poor kitty... I hope he will be fine!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear about your kitty, I always feel so bad for them when they are hurting. Sounds like you are taking good care of him. Good thing you took it in to have it''s teeth cleaned, you might have saved his life. Hoping for a fast recovery for him.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Argh ... sorry to hear about this Gypsy.
7.gif
My wife and I are cat lovers too. We''ve always had 2 but one passed in my wifes arms just about 2 years ago. It was a hard time. Not soon after we fell in love with this cute little pug puppie (mojo used to be my avatar) and now we have 2 of them! Our cat Ms. Kitty was the most affectionate cat we''ve ever owned and would cuddle up to anyone. I can''t even remind my wife cause she always wells up when we talk about her. It''s ok ... we''ll see her in kittie heaven.
17.gif
My prayers for you and Duncan Gypsy.

Warm regards,

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, Gypsy. You sound like such a good momma. I do hope Duncan will be OK and feels better soon.

{{HUGS to you and Duncan}}

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear this....looks like you are taking great care of him....cats can be very resilient!!! Keep us posted, and head bonks to you and your baby...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, Gypsy! I am so sorry I didn''t see this before now! I hope Duncan will be okay. I know the wait can be the hardest part. let us know when you hear!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Praying for you and your babies, Gyspy!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prayers still outgoing and 8 headbonks from my 8 kitties especially for you both!
emrose.gif
Hang in there, a lot of TLC such as you are giving Duncan can make ALL the difference when they are sick. Hugs to you.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gypsy ~
emrose.gif

Sending you a big
emhug.gif
emlove.gif
emhug2.gif
and a big
emlips.gif
for Duncan.

Even though he is your kitty ... I am sure that you consider him to be you baby ... your family ... one of the loves of your life.
face23.gif

I do hope and pray that Duncan can rest and be pain free.

I understand how it hurts to have your fur baby not well.

Take care and please do keep up posted on how he is doing.

35.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Gyspy, just wanted to check in again. Glad to hear he is able to eat pretty well, and I love how he wouldn''t let you get up
2.gif
Thoughts and prayers still coming to you all...

P.S. I just saw that Noel had exactly what my kitty Rascal has had problems with in the past year. I just wanted to let you know that often when one of those glands acts up, the other is bound to too. So you might want to keep an eye on both glands for the next month or two. But I sure hope this is a one time thing, as they are very painful for kitties!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awwww... the head bonks from all the PS kitties are gold!

Duncan''s feeling better today. The warm compresses didn''t go over well, and I didn''t feel like torturing him so after the first two times I stopped yesterday. He doesn''t like the pill pokets Hally and Noel love... so he''s had to learn to swallow the antibiotics mommy gives him. He''s become resigned to that.

But he is feeling better... he''s asserting his independance already and going out of the rooms we are in (woudn''t do that yesterday or the day before) and the swelling on his chin seems to have gone down at bit. He ate well this morning and even begged for scraps at the table (he''s my only cat that begs for food-- his one bad habit). Of course, I broke my own rules and gave him some in his bowl. He is resilient. I''m just hoping that when we talk to the vet tommorow the news is good.

FI and talked about UC Davis. We''re talking about the advantages and disadvantages. I''m going to be stayig with my grandparents for the first three months of my new job... then FI is goingto join me out there. So we are wondering if it''s better for Duncan to stay here where everything is familiar-- and be treated out here. Or if it''s better to have him fly out with me and start treatment at UC DAvis ASAP-- despite the upheaval of goingto a new place, with mommy, alone without the other cats, the dog, or daddy.

Not sure.

Anyway... that''s what''s going on today. Just talking about this here and seeing your posts has been so wonderful. I''ve been scattered and cranky and so tunnel visioned on my animals the last couple of days. Just waiting. Thanks for being here. So much.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news he is feeling better Gypsy
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
We will be thinking of you both, please keep us updated and more head bonks zooming Duncan''s way!
3.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am so very glad you were able to be at home with him his first days home.....having you there to reassure and cuddle with him i''m sure has aided his healing process.

another question re treatment: how will you feel not being there if you leave him where you are now? in many ways, being in a familiar place with his other housemates may be better......stress of moving and loss of his mates could push his immune system in a negative way. who will have the most time to devote to his care? if you''re starting a new job will you be able to take time to be with him? i''m just tossing out the questions i''m sure you''re already asking yourself......

hoping the test results will be good, movie zombie

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to hear Duncan is feeling better. The eating is such a good sign. Wow, that would be hard to know whethet to take him with you or leave him. Cats don''t always seem to do so well with change. On the other hand, sounds like he''s "stuck" to you so... That''s a difficult decision.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No word yet. Vet says maybe not till tommorow. I''m calling Davis today. We''ve decided to cancel Austin and take Duncan out to CA ASAP if it is cancer. And have him cared for there. So... that''s my update. I''m a nervous wreck.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, I know I commented in my dress thread, but I just wanted to stop by here and let you know that my heart really goes out to you. And since I live nearby -- if you need anything, you just let me know. Seriously.

I know the waiting must be killing you, but it is good that Duncan''s spirits seem to be improving. I can only hope for both of your sakes that after tomorrow, this nightmare is over. Good Luck.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I know the waiting is terrible, I go to pieces at that part, so I feel your pain. Prayers outgoing to you and Duncan for good news tomorrow
35.gif
emrose.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, your description of him putting his paw on you to keep you close was so touching. I literally grew up with a cat, and I could see her doing that. They certainly can capture your heart. She lived to be 17, hope your baby has as many good years.

brt_mbl

Rough_Rock
I know I''m new here, and you don''t know me, but my two kitties, as well as me send our thoughts and positive energy for Duncan and hope everything turns out well. Waiting and uncertainty when our loved ones are sick is the hardest part. All you can do is hope for the best and give them all the love in the world- and spoil them rotten in the meantime! You sound like a great mommy- keep up everything you are doing and don''t forget to take care of yourself too!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just saw all of your posts! Thanks so much. The waiting is awful. All day I''ve been sick to my stomach, fighiting a headache, and tense... so tense. I just totally flipped out on my mother for no reason...

The vet says to me today... "is he eating? Cause sometimes with oral surgery cats stop eating... which can trigger a life threatening disease where their liver starts metabolizing the fat in their bodies..." OMG. I seriously felt my heart stop because though he''d been eating well, this morning he refused to eat. I ran out to the pet store and picked up his favorite food... which I don''t give them anymore cause it''s not as good as the new stuff I''ve switched them to... Pro Plan ground and in gravy wet food is his favorite. And I brought it home and I''ve been psychotically watching every bite he takes... counting. He can''t clean himself so I''ve been brushing him everytime I get a chance... washing him down with wipes. I just need to KNOW.

Sorry. Needed to flip out somewhere safe. Can''t flip out IRL. Well... I can. But then people like my mother get hurt.

Thanks all. Will update when I know something.
7.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, just wanted to let you know that I''ve been reading your thread and thinking about you and Duncan!!! I know that this is just as hard as having an ill (human) family member. Lucy and Milo send head bonks, and I send my thoughts of peace and comfort...you and Duncan are in my prayers!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
The disease your Vet was talking about where the liver metabolises the fat is called Hepatic Lipidosis which is what my cat Dickens had. As long as Duncan''s eating even a little bit, I don''t think you have to worry about that. My cat had completely stopped eating (although I didn''t know it because we had three cats and they had dry food left out all day) and was jaundiced. I can completely relate to watching a sick kitty''s every move-it is so nerve wracking. If only we had a crystal ball that we could look into and know everything would be OK... Poor kitty, he''s so lucky he obviously has a great cat mom.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy hang in there, I will be sending out my strongest vibes and prayers for you and Duncan today.
emrose.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I too am sending my strongest healing vibes Duncan''s way and prayers for good news today.

Having had many a sick cat over the years, I know what you mean when you say you''re feeling nauseous, headachy and generally horrible.

Fingers and toes crossed that you''ll hear good news from your vet today!!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Still thinking about you guys...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Still nothing. I think John''s ready to put his fist through a wall. Duncan''s much better today. I caught him cautiously trying to eat the dry food... and after a while he got it. So... I was just smiling when I saw that.

Cind11 I can''t imagine. I just can''t. We feed them about an ounce and a half of wet food everynight (dry rest of time) and we monitor their food intake that way. And we weigh them about once a month. Noel is overweight, Frodo under, Duncan ''just right'' and Hally too.

The continued posts and support are much appreciated. I can''t imagine how much longer this is going to take. Enough already.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Still nothing?! That''s awful! I hope they don''t make you wait much longer!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results