shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat lost in wall/ceiling/crawl space

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you're worried and sad, but she'll come around. You're in the early days yet. Between a long separation, a move, and a toddler (!) she's had a lot to cope with. She just needs time and patience and love. I bet she's back to lots of daytime cuddling in a week or two. Don't give up yet!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you and your sweetheart doing Elliot - do you feel her "coming around" a little bit more.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :pray:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you and your sweetheart doing Elliot - do you feel her "coming around" a little bit more.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :pray:
Thanks for the check in! Turkey is helping, and I think the Feliway plug in might be starting to help her too. Niece is really freaking her out on the days I have her, but she has to get used to it.

I finally got my electric guitar and my amp, and believe it or not just playing it on low volume has been a big icebreaker, I've had it about a day and a half. I don't know if it is the low tones, the vibration, or what but she will sit right pressed up against me when I play and sometimes will just nudge my arm out of the way and press up against the strings.

She still is hiding during the day (weird) but she has been very vocal the past couple of nights. We have a health issue we need to address at the vet on Saturday and I think getting it done will help a lot.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So cute that she's reacting to the guitar. It probably is the vibrations. Maybe they're soothing.

I hope she can learn to deal with your niece. Was she ever not freaked out by her or this is new also? Could you maybe lock her up in a room while your niece visits until she's back to being herself more? Even though I know she has to deal with the realities of life, maybe this is setting her back a bit every time. Maybe get one of those soundmakers so it muffles the sounds and makes it more peaceful.

Anyway glad to hear the update and I hope Saturday goes well.

Sending Oreo a big hug. :)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only interactions she had with my niece was only once when she was a tiny baby (we didn't live near my family). Oreo "grew up" around my then small kids who were loud and tended to run everywhere but she knew them and what to expect from them. I can't tell you how many times she would lie belly up on the floor with a 3 year old running circles around her with that vacuum popper toy. Any other cat would have lost its mind in that kind of environment but she was so mellow and always rolled seamlessly with the chaos.

So you can imagine how much this personality 180 is throwing me. I have never seen her cower or even hide except for once when she injured her leg.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only interactions she had with my niece was only once when she was a tiny baby (we didn't live near my family). Oreo "grew up" around my then small kids who were loud and tended to run everywhere but she knew them and what to expect from them. I can't tell you how many times she would lie belly up on the floor with a 3 year old running circles around her with that vacuum popper toy. Any other cat would have lost its mind in that kind of environment but she was so mellow and always rolled seamlessly with the chaos.

So you can imagine how much this personality 180 is throwing me. I have never seen her cower or even hide except for once when she injured her leg.

Elliot I did not realize you had children :oops:typical cat lady only pays attention to the fur babies :lol:

And yeah, I can imagine. :(You ache for it to be like it was.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot I did not realize you had children :oops:typical cat lady only pays attention to the fur babies :lol:

And yeah, I can imagine. :(You ache for it to be like it was.
I'm reeeeeeeaaaally private/picky about that aspect of my life, so for the forums they don't get mentioned much if at all. But I feel like mentioning them definitely gives this kitteh struggle a bit more context.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah. OK. Got it.

You can never be too private as far as I'm concerned. But glad you shared because yeah it does give it more context.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps she has been in an environment before you got her back again where she felt unsafe, or was stressed about things, she might have missed you and was unsure she would see you again. I agree with the others it's just going to take her a while to know that this time she is settled and back with you and that you are not going anywhere once she gets used to that hopefully she will return to her old self.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry that both you and Oreo have to go through this. I am hoping that with time she will become more confident. If this is too nosy, just say, but I'm curious about what her health issue is?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry that both you and Oreo have to go through this. I am hoping that with time she will become more confident. If this is too nosy, just say, but I'm curious about what her health issue is?
She needs to have a tooth removed. Luckily it was caught really early (I'm actually mildly impressed with myself), but out it must go.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliott,

Could the tooth that needs to be removed be causing her pain? I remember when I was young we had a family cat and if she wasn't feeling well or in pain she didn't interact with the family as much and preferred to be off by herself. That was always our cue to get her to vet right away because she was either in pain or sick.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
She needs to have a tooth removed. Luckily it was caught really early (I'm actually mildly impressed with myself), but out it must go.
I agree with Callie that her behavior may be due, in part, to her not feeling well. Cats are so good at hiding pain. Max had some dental issues about a year ago and he was so much happier and ate more after it was all taken care. Poor Oreo, she has been through a lot. I will be sending you both positive vibes and hoping she will respond positively after having her tooth removed. Max made a quick recovery, if I remember correctly. Kiki had some crazy gum and teeth issues which are kind of a Siamese thing and he had many of his teeth removed. I actually brush Max's teeth :). Kiki would have none of it.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely think the stress added to the discomfort is a huge part of it.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Elliot, just wondering how Oreo is doing? How did the procedure go?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's doing very well! Tooth is out and she is becoming a lot more like her old self. I'll post a pic sometime soon!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
That is great news! I am glad that she did well and is feeling better. looking forward to a photo :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is she still spending time in the wall/closet? I have to wonder if there isn't something in there that is piquing her interest, such as mice? Could that explain her time devoted to hiding?

I'm so happy to hear that having the tooth pulled made a difference. Teeth problems are such a bad pain to have; no way you can ignore it. Here's to hoping that she regains her Oreo self and lap duty soon.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

She's doing very well! Tooth is out and she is becoming a lot more like her old self. I'll post a pic sometime soon!

I am glad to hear it - when I first got my cat he wasn't very friendly and spent a lot of time hiding but needed to have teeth removed, and after he recovered he was almost instantly a different personality. I am sure the pain is so scary for them, especially since they have such pampered lives with us that they are really unused to it. I hope Oreo gets back to his old self asap!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my brave girl. I don't know if you can tell but she's still kind of puffy and pink. I need more Feliway refills too. $$$$$ugggghhhhhh$$$$$. It's worth it!

image.jpeg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Planted squarely in my lap. Love this!!!

image.jpeg

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Here's my brave girl. I don't know if you can tell but she's still kind of puffy and pink. I need more Feliway refills too. $$$$$ugggghhhhhh$$$$$. It's worth it!

image.jpeg
LOVE! So you think the feliway has been helping? That is so awesome. I used to spray it in the sleepypod before a vet visit. It helped Max, but I think it made Kiki mental. Of, course, everything made that cat mental!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE! So you think the feliway has been helping? That is so awesome. I used to spray it in the sleepypod before a vet visit. It helped Max, but I think it made Kiki mental. Of, course, everything made that cat mental!
So she went from extreme hiding to being extremely clingy and loud. It's been a month of pretty extreme behavior. She went from being in hiding all day and sleeping, to being up all day following me around, jumping on me, and yowling. I do not exaggerate when I say I could not do anything without the cat attached to my leg. The Feliway has calmed some of the stress down for her I think, and I'm sure the tooth extraction didn't hurt matters. I had to go out of town for 2 days where she was left alone though and we are back to her crying and being clingy. This cat is going to bankrupt me. I love her though and if we can survive these hurdles I'll be thrilled. I see so much progress outside of the extremes.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Poor Oreo.. I am just always wondering how their minds work, what they are thinking. I hate that we can't explain things to them. I have to leave Max in two weeks for the first time in 4 1/2 years and I am really worried about it. I never had problems leaving them before, we have an awesome cat sitter, but it will be the first time he will be all alone (without any other cats). I am sure(hopeful?) that everything will be fine. I wish I could explain to him that I will return. :) I should probably get a feliway dispenser thingy to plug in the wall by one of his many heated beds. I just have the spray. I am sure Oreo senses, knows, how much you care for her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results