shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat lost in wall/ceiling/crawl space

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have called the &@!-ink fire department, animal control, animal rescue league, SPCA, and event animal/pest removal services. NO one will help me.

Oreo came home after a long anticipated arrival. I had everything perfect. She bolted under the bed at first (to be expected). Then she climbed into my sock drawer which is in the closet wall. Well, unbeknownst to me, there is an empty space there leading into the ceiling and she has disappeared into it. I watched her.

I am a sobbing mess right now. I know she is freaked out, I know cats hide. But I am in a rental and I don't want to rip the walls up to get her out, but I will if it comes to that. I'm in true panic mode. I can't lose her.

Amimal control basically told me cats are cats and she will come out when she feels like it. Please tell me this isn't the end of the world, because I am losing it right now.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have called the &@!-ink fire department, animal control, animal rescue league, SPCA, and event animal/pest removal services. NO one will help me.

Oreo came home after a long anticipated arrival. I had everything perfect. She bolted under the bed at first (to be expected). Then she climbed into my sock drawer which is in the closet wall. Well, unbeknownst to me, there is an empty space there leading into the ceiling and she has disappeared into it. I watched her.

I am a sobbing mess right now. I know she is freaked out, I know cats hide. But I am in a rental and I don't want to rip the walls up to get her out, but I will if it comes to that. I'm in true panic mode. I can't lose her.

Amimal control basically told me cats and cats and she will come out when she feels like it. Please tell me this isn't the end of the world, because I am losing it right now.
awww Elliot I'm so sorry. But even though I'd be a HUGE MESS right now if I were you (I'd be totally hysterical), Animal control is right about this. Unless she's hiding somewhere inherently dangerous (like stuck up under a car, etc), she will come out when she's ready. If you start to hear howling or other signs that she's upset and/or stuck then I think you should call back. But for now maybe put something tasty like Tuna outside the space to lure her out.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you tried putting her favourite treat in the sock drawer or canned tuna or salmon? If not, that might work. Contact the maintenance department of your apartment and have them on standby to open the wall if necessary.

Edited to add - can you get a friend to pick up raw liver (I know this sounds gross) to entice her with? It was something my mother used if she couldn't get our cat to come inside (this was back in the days when people let their cats roam).

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
OMG..Elliot .. so distressing to read this. I don't know what to say but I certainly can understand how very upset you must be. Off to google and see if I can find some info to help.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Poodles' ideas are great.. also read to try catnip.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry.
I can't imagine the stress.

I second the idea of using Oreo's favorite aromatic food.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just can't believe it. I've been in this house for months and never had a clue there drawers led to wall crannies. She found them within an hour.

So much for the joyful reunion I dreamed of.

Animal control said if the cat got itself in there it can get itself out. I'm thinking but what about nails, wires...?????

Not a good day.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just can't believe it. I've been in this house for months and never had a clue there drawers led to wall crannies. She found them within an hour.

So much for the joyful reunion I dreamed of.

Animal control said if the cat got itself in there it can get itself out. I'm thinking but what about nails, wires...?????

Not a good day.
No, definitely not a good day. And one that was supposed to be an awesome reunion for you guys :( So sorry again for you. Cats are really dexterous though, so she's likely just hanging out and waiting until she feels more comfortable to come out. But of course it's going to be super scary and stressful for you in the meantime! :(:(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I am SO SORRY Elliot! I'd be a frantic mess too. OK first of all stay calm as best you can. It is scary but praying she comes out safely and soon.

Some thoughts.
Is she a catnip responder and if so have you tried sprinkling some catnip around?
Her favorite treats/human food like tuna fish/salmon anything she might like?
The smellier the better.
Do you have a cat laser toy?
Does she have a cat video she likes to watch on TV? You know one of those DVDs that cats interact with on screen? If so maybe play it so she can hear it and maybe be tempted to come out?

Right now she's scared so she wants to hide but when she starts feeling calmer she will come out on her own most likely. Cats feel safer when they hide and that is all she is doing.I am just trying to think of other things that might help her do so more quickly but honestly probably nothing will help until she is ready to come out on her own. Cats are stubborn that way.

When we were little we had baby gerbils escape and we got them all back except for Adam. Who went into the walls. Well we tried everything (and remember little gerbil brains not as clever as kitty brains so keep that in mind) and my dad tore apart the walls with holes trying to find Adam. It is laughable now but we were so upset at the time thinking of poor little Adam in the walls scared and alone. Well after a few days of lining food everywhere finally Adam came out. It was a nightmare few days but he did come out safely. Just sharing that to hopefully help you feel calmer.

Big (((HUGS))) and I am sending you all the positive vibes and good thoughts I have for sweet Oreo to come out safe and sound. Honey I wish I could be there in person for you but I am right there in spirit for you. ((((HUGS))).

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about Oreo. Funny how cats can always find that one place they shouldn't or one thing they shouldn't have so quickly.

You probably already tried this, but I'll suggest just in case - make noise near the wall opening with good things Oreo would recognize. My cat comes running immediately when we shake her container or bag of treats, and also when we open a can by peeling the lid or using can opener (she thinks it's her food). Maybe Oreo has some similar positive audio triggers? A favorite noisy toy?

It's a stressful situation for you, but she'll come out eventually probably no worse for wear.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot another thought. Is there a rescue group around you who you can call and get some advice? They are usually way more empathetic than animal control and might have some better advice than I can think of right now. You are not the only one who has ever gone through this and if anyone has gone through it most likely they would have info on what to do. Any animal rescue group might be able to help. I am going to see if I can get any other advice besides what has been shared here. Hang in there sweetheart.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Microwave her favorite food to make the odor stronger.

Hugs! She will come out when she's ready. Also, a feliway plug may help calm her down.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliott, BREATHE, nice 'n slow, in and out, relax. Missy gave great advice. Sooner or later she is gonna miss her momma or want a meal or need to use a litter box and she'll come out. Remember that she may be spoiled rotten but she is still an apex predator and will be able to get herself out of the situation when she chooses to. Hugs. Looking forward to hearing a positive end to this soon.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing to consider if she decides to stay in there for several days -- can you get a live trap in there? Put in her food and a warm blankie and wait for the stinker to trap herself.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Play this and other Youtube videos of cats meowing loudly.
Maybe that will get Oreo to run down to defend the territory.

Last edited:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliott, I feel ya, I'd be out of my mind with worry if this were the Westies. Everyone gave awesome advice---open tuna can where she might hear/smell it, salmon, liver is fantastic with cats.

I feel certain Oreo is going to get out soon. Hugs to you, and maybe some Xanax too.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Oh no. This is terrible. I'm trying right now to think of something helpful.

I don't know what kind of house you are in, but studs are about 16" apart. Do you know if there is insulation in there, or just empty space? Would it be possible to move entirely along the wall, or if she's trapped between 2 studs, can she go no farther (that's actually a best case scenario, I think.)

FWIW, a patch job on the sheetrock if you tear in to the wall will run you in the hundreds. I'd do it if I had to. The longer you wait to get her out, the further from the opening she may stray if that option is available inside the space.

Put her food near the hole. That's the best I am can come up with.

Can you tap on the wall to see where she might be at in there? Like still near the hole or further along?

Can you get in to the attic to see if she made it that far up?

Trying to brainstorm here.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't heard a thing. Not a meow, scratching, nothing.

I'm really not sure what to do other than follow the advice and wait. This SUCKS. This is where she got in. Sat in the top drawer then up and gone. Of course I took all the drawers out and tried to claw my way in. I don't know what I will do if something happens to her, I really don't think I could take it.

image.jpg

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Elliot.. Oh I was so hoping for good news when I saw you posted .. this may sound nuts, but are you absolutely sure she is in the wall? I only ask because I have had times when I have had a really hard time finding one of my cats and I get in a crazy panic thinking they somehow got outside, etc. and I find them in some crazy spot. Once, one was snuggled down in-between two down pillows on a bed in a guest room where my mom was. It took us hours to locate him and he was snuggled up sleeping. It was bizarre and he had never slept there before.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, Elliot, I'm really sorry. I second the advice about leaving something really yummy smelling near where she went in. We also had a hamster that got into the walls and under the floorboards a couple of times (a real escape artist) and we got her back every time by leaving cheese out-- and cats are definitely smarter than hamsters.

I know this sounds really odd (and gross), but I know of several lost dogs that have been lured back by the owner leaving out something soaked with a small amount of the owner's pee on it-- not sure if it works for cats too, but it might be worth checking. Also, if she's been staying somewhere else recently, I wonder if it might work to put out something with the scent of wherever she's been staying? She might be drawn to a familiar scent.

Hugs, and I'll be thinking good kitty thoughts for you.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Can you take those drawers out and look up in there with a flashlight?

I'm gonna assume this is a really old house and may not be built the way they are now.

What is behind the wall? What is the next room? Is there anything nearby that might be connected in the wall, like a water heater? Does the wall back a bathroom? Where does the opening lead? Do you have attic access?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot, I didn't get any new advice from the rescue people but Greg said to put a light on in that closet so Oreo can see it. I know cats don't really need light to see but some light may be helpful and it can't hurt. Honey we are all keeping good thoughts for Oreo!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
A glass of milk. I've almost never seen an oreo with out one. Also leave the drawer open , with loved treats/toys/dolls whatever, right outside. IT may me a matter of perspective, but oreo mya be on a journey into a curious but accessible new environment, and to you it is all a chinese finger (cat) trap.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Time and tuna. Tuna and time. And, as Missy suggested, a light.

And a glass of wine or two for you!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My scared kitties all wanted just me and quiet. Get your smelly food, turn the light on, then just sit still. Let her come out. Pacing and nervous makes more anxiety for you and for her.

Maybe eat a little something that she loved getting pieces of.

I know it is hard (I would be freaking out!) but you need to sit and relax for her.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Elliot everyone gave you great advice - all the things you could lure her with - so I have nothing to add but just wanted you to know I'm keeping you and Oreo in my thoughts I hope she comes back soon. :blackeye:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE!!!!
I followed all your excellent advice, and she's not totally out of her closet situation, but there is progress. She isn't in the crawl space anymore, right now she is sitting in that damn drawer looking at me with those giant green eyes. We are trading slow blinks and I'm humming quietly trying not to show how freaked out I am.

The smell of microwaved deli turkey seemed to pique enough interest to get her to jump down.

I admit I am very surprised, this is a side of her I have never seen. She rolled into my house on that first day having never been there and didn't know us at all, made herself right at home. I feel so badly I have put her through this stress and I hope we can move forward okay. BUT for now my horrible inner fears of her being trapped in the walls is gone. Let's hope she stays chill and doesn't try to pull a Houdini again?!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAYYYYYY!!!!!! I'm so happy to hear about this progress with you and Oreo.

I'm sure you guys will be back to normal in no time--animals tend to get freaked out in new situations/places, etc. Sending tons of hugs!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
mmmmmmmmmmm
microwaved turkey

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also to add this is an old Victorian home with tons of doors, crannies, several hidden compartments in closet floors and walls for stashing valuables. So it's very cool, but clearly I need to babyproof.

Nearly 8 hours of torture! She might get a cheese cube out of me I'm so happy to see that face!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results