shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier Diamond Ring Inquiry

lars888

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for so much help.

@MollyMalone that is great advice, so basically in the girdle of the center stone there should be a lasered inscription of GIA number?
@kenny Good macro pics? Should I include the appraisal of the ring for $5,600 even though I believe t his value to be low?

I am scared to sell on ebay because I have never sold an item on ebay before and I have no previous reviews which I think would hurt me..

I can't seem to find out how to list my ring on loupetroop?

Still hard pressed to find a good easy way to sell this ring

lars888

Rough_Rock
How dumb would it be to email one of these ebay sellers with 2000+ feedback and potentially have them sell it for me?

lars888

Rough_Rock
I listed the ring on idonowidont

lars888

Rough_Rock
asdasd.jpg

If this helps this was the appraisal paper. I edited it and erased my name/address

I am really looking to sell as quick as possible

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck! I was under the (possibly wrong) impression that Cartier solitaires are set in Platinum or 18K YG settings only, but maybe somebody else can chime in who knows more.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, there is a consignment seller on eBay in America called “Linda’s stuff”. She was an attorney that ditched her day job over 10 years ago and started selling on eBay. Now she employs a dozen people. Her feedback is over 700,000 ! She sells high quality brand names. Apparently her consignment fee is 25% (under $5,000, 20% if sale price is over $5,000) but that includes the 13% that eBay and PayPal take from every seller. Do a seller search on eBay.com for her name. Her current most expensive ring is currently $27,000 so she sells high end items.

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, @motownmama, it would be unusual for a Cartier engagement ring to be made in white gold.

@lars888, photos of the hallmarks inside the ring would be helpful, along with approximately when (i.e. decade) the ring was purchased.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
I'm not remotely convinced this ring is Cartier -- which means potential buyers probably won't be either. OP are you willing to answer any of the questions about how you got this ring and/or provide any information about it's history/purchase?

lars888

Rough_Rock
The ring belonged to my aunt, now it belongs to me. Literally engraved inside the band says Cartier, I can only guess as to when the ring was purchased probably over 10 years ago but not over 30 years.

These are the best pictures I was able to take with my iPhone..

Now @alamana if you still aren't remotely convinced this ring is Cartier are you saying my aunts diamond ring then had Cartier engraved inside on the band with serial number included for fun? My aunt would never wear fake jewelry

c1.jpg c2.jpg

If you have taken the time to read previous posts in this thread engraved inside the band says:

Cartier 750 (C) 53 QC**** <> AU750 .807ct

I'm looking for advice to sell the ring for best value as quickly as possible. Like I said again, I know for a fact its a diamond ring from taking it to three different gemologists, only one of which I had an official appraisal from. I'm 99% sure its Cartier but I have no box or papers..

I would have posted this ring on ebay already but I've heard some bad responses and I have never sold anything on ebay before so no feedback would hurt me.

Attachments

• c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 19

lars888

Rough_Rock
@Krisking Photos of inside provided..

Exactly why would it be unusual for Cartier to make 18k white gold band..

lars888

Rough_Rock
At this point I'm almost ready to just go to Hamilton Jewelers and see what they will pay me for it..

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They will pay you $1250.

(a guess)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are not in a super rush I think you'll get more for it on LoupeTroop or idonowidont or via consignment but those sales take time. You may not be able to get as much as if you had paperwork but if you offer it based on the value of the specs with the inscription as an added bonus you should still make more on your own than selling to a jeweler.

From what I've seen, with nice jewelry, you need to be willing to invest time and/or money to optimize a person to person sale (cleaning, appraisal, photography, etc.).

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been lurking on your thread as I have little to offer in the way of pricing and value. But I do see you've listed it on loupe troop. May I kindly suggest, as someone who has sold and bought quite a bit from there, that you take and list better pictures? IMO, pictures tell a lot and your lighting doesn't seem to highlight the beauty of the ring. Best of Luck!

lars888

Rough_Rock
@Sandeek I really suck at pictures lol, I only have my iPhone to work with... Can you show me an example of one of the listings you made that sold?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, plenty of unethical vendors will engrave very realistic information into the interiors of bands. They will also forge paperwork, certificates of authenticity, scales receipts, appraisals, service receipts, insurance valuations... why? Because a branded piece will sell for more, if they can sucker a buyer into trusting their “information”.

It has become commonplace, in fact, and has made buyers of luxury goods wary of public sales markets like eBay. This is where having genuine proof of authenticity becomes invaluable.

Good luck.
You’re going to need it.

Last edited:

lars888

Rough_Rock
@yssie please take your 18 thousand posts elsewhere if you don't have anything positive to contribute. Paperwork for my ring was not forged, you can call the appraiser, number on the paper and ask for yourself if you are so inclined.

My ring is 100% real diamond I'd bet my house on it

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, good grief. It’s not whether or not you’ve got a diamond that I and potential buyers are going to question, it’s the Cartier name. You don’t know where your aunt got it: she could have been wearing a very realistic forgery without knowing it. It happens.

I’m admittedly somewhat amused that you feel my responses are unhelpful. However, I will happily take my 18000 posts elsewhere as requested ::)

Last edited:

lars888

Rough_Rock
From what I understand the only way to authenticate it would be to send it to Cartier to have it polished. If they polish it and give service receipt then it can act as authentication because Cartier refuses to work on non-Cartier pieces..

Only problem is typical turn around time for Cartier service is at least 4 weeks... so frustrating

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sandeek I really suck at pictures lol, I only have my iPhone to work with... Can you show me an example of one of the listings you made that sold?

I use my iPhone 6 as well. Take your ring into sunlight-dappled shade. Or hold the ring up with the sun behind it. Take multiple pics and tap the phone screen on the center stone to focus in. Zoom and crop afterward if need be. Good pictures are a must for second hand sales. If you look at the other listings of particularly expensive diamond rings, you'll see most have more refined pics in better lighting. Again, I wish you luck!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cartier has, and still does make rings in 18ct white gold. While today Platinum is the preferred white metal, Cartier has and does still use 18ct white gold. I think it highly unlikely that it is a “fake”. Firstly fakes are usually obvious poor quality ie CZ stones and white plated metal and secondly the “popular and marketable styles” are copied - think Rolex watches, Tiffany hearts, Cartier love bangles. No US jeweler would dare create a “copy to deceive” ring, usually they are reluctant to even copy a style for copyright reasons ie being sued and charged with a crime! Most fakes come from Asian countries because they have different views on copyright ownership (ie don’t give a rats!).
I also checked your Loupetroop listing - blah I’m afraid.
You need to take your photos outside in daylight or under “white” lights. The yellow lighting is making your lovely ring look equally yellow and that’s not what buyers want to see. Even with an iPhone (or similiar) you can take good quality close ups, rest the phone on a box or jar of the right height to get an in focus close up. You want at least one just of the main diamond, as close up as possible, one of a side profile view, one of the inside markings and one on the hand. Make sure your background is one colour or texture. Try a black background and a white background to see what shows your ring off best. A tip, use a teen with smaller hands and lovely long fingers and the ring will look bigger and better. I sell rings occasionally but I don’t use my fat, wrinkly size 8 fingers, I use my teen daughters size 4 fingers which are lovely and smooth. Good luck with your sale.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lars we are only trying to help you. Yssie wasn't saying your diamond isn't real or that the appraisal that you had done isn't real.

She was saying that SOME people HAVE forged CARTIER paperwork and/or inscribed FORGED hallmarks inside of shanks to swindle people.

Yssie and others here own branded pieces and she and others have seen what lengths SOME people go to in an effort to trick other people into buying fakes.

She is not (and nobody here is) saying that is what YOU are doing, she is (and others have been) telling you what BUYERS are looking for with regard to authenticity or provenance and other CONCERNS that buyers will have when buying a used piece of jewelry which is proffered as being branded … with no proof.

She and I and others are also trying to help you see the reality of the value of your item in the open market and the likelihood of your selling it at the appraised value.

Most people (particularly withOUT branded paperwork, receipts, boxes) are selling preloved items at 25-50% off retail. Even more off appraisal value. Savvy shoppers of preloved jewelry items aren't known to pay anywhere near retail or appraisal value.

In your case, without documentation from CARTIER, not many people will pay $5500 for a .807 J stone, even if it's a VVS. Even with the setting. Because they can get the same look for less.

Perhaps if your aunt bought this ring new (as opposed to having received as a gift) you can see about getting a duplicate receipt from Cartier. Unlike many of us who have/buy preloved jeweley, you have the advantage of knowing the name of the owner.

Go into a Cartier boutique and ask them to clean it. There are several in NY and many in the US (google). If they clean it (presumes authentic) ask how you can get a duplicate receipt. Explain that your aunt gave it to you for your intended (don't say when), then add that you couldn't find any paperwork after she died (tear up).

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yah if you have a loupe, you can take pics wikis awkwardly holding it over the iPhone camera. But soak it in warm water with dawn, scrub with a baby toothbrush, rinse and dry first. (Nowhere near a drain)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6B7F40CB-AC9B-42A1-968E-DAC17579BC86.jpeg 6FC74B7C-110D-4B66-AB4E-B85833FC21EF.jpeg A691692B-CFB1-4119-99CE-C4CB1EA3B8A1.jpeg 38FAB933-A277-4822-BE0F-107685634E2D.jpeg Here are some average iPhone shots I took of rings on my daughters hand. Just normal light. And two of my fat fingers wearing my emerald ring. See how the yellow light isn’t flattering at all compared to daylight.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m surprised Cartier would have I/J colored diamonds.

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
18k white gold is unusual (not impossible), because platinum is Cartier's preferred white metal. They make standard engagement rings in platinum, rose gold, and yellow gold. Cartier says this has been true for at least 10 years. You can special order white gold engagement rings with about 8 months lead time. I don't know if this was the case up to 30 years ago.

The hallmarks are important for authentication, because the font, size, alignment, etc. matter. Certain variations may not be characteristic of Cartier or would not have passed quality control.

The serial number stamped on the inside can also be cross-referenced with Cartier's database to help with authentication. Is there a reason the serial number is ****'d out in the listing?

No one doubts your aunt's morals; it's just an unfortunate possibility that the original buyer/gift giver may have been duped, and you are right to want to authenticate the ring prior to selling.

Last edited:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your appraiser did you a disservice and that report is inadequate to the task at hand. Whether or not you want to demand a refund is up to you, and whether you get it is up to them, but it’s not useful for what you’re doing.

A stone graded in the mounting is approximately VVS2 at best. They can’t see under the prongs and they should be giving a split grade for this reason, just like they did on color. Any buyer with sense is going to read that as VS1, maybe VS2 unless you’ve got serious lab paperwork to back it.

I/J may be correct, but any buyer will read that as J. As mentioned above, that’s unlike Cartier and it indicates either a misgrade or some other problem. If true, this is indeed evidence against Cartier.

You know exactly nothing about the cutting.

Your evidence of Cartier provenance, the engraving, is not really very good. Receipts are better if you can get them. An authentication statement from Cartier is better (and expensive). An appraisal from some jeweler who didn’t notice the engraving is not particularly helpful. The fact that the marks are a bit sloppy is not a good sign either. Assuming it’s correct, SI1 side stones is another bad sign.

Here’s 232 retail offers for 0.80-0.85/VS1/J/round diamonds, WITH good paperwork. Prices range from $1800-3200. Resale from consumers normally trade at a discount but this depends on how good a seller you are. A dealer will need to do some work, like send it to the lab, and they’re going to want to make money. Expect about $1000 on the stone from a dealer buying from the public. Maybe $1400 if it’s really nice.

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds...&sort=price-desc&page=1&pageview=24&adv=false

Mostly mountings don’t resell well. People don’t care for ‘used’ engagement rings and, although the Cartier branding definitely helps if it proves out, that’s debatable for reasons above. I would not expect a dealer to pay you a significant premium for it, nor would I expect them to offer more than the salvage value of the metal for the mounting.

Is there more from a consumer? Maybe. It’s going to depend more on how good you are at selling things than anything else. Some people are a lot better at this than others and only you can assess your own ebay talents. There IS a skill to it. It generally tends to be a marketplace full of pretty price conscious people but, as they say, your mileage may vary. Even WITH proper documentation on the stone (GIA) and Cartier backing on the provenance, assuming you go through the trouble and expense to secure them, I would be surprised to see that number double.

Best of luck with it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie please take your 18 thousand posts elsewhere if you don't have anything positive to contribute.

My goodness! How terribly rude and ungrateful of you! :nono:

This makes me regret the time I spent trying to be of assistance you.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results