shape
carat
color
clarity

Carre Cut? What would you do with this ring--need advice

angela06

Shiny_Rock
I purchased this ring from a well known ebay seller. It was listed as a french cut band, but upon seeing the ring, my research tells me that the diamonds are carre cut. is this correct?

Here is the main problem. The ring is not in good condition as it has a chunk missing from the top of the channel, and the stone beneath it is set very crooked. I am in the return window and can return the ring as is, but I am interested to know if I'm better off resetting the diamonds into another 7 stone ring. I like the look of the diamonds. The ring is kind of too chunky for my taste, though if it had been received in good condition I would have worn it anyway as a right hand ring. The diamonds were sold to me as 1.05ctw, and they are slightly tapered so that the center is larger. The ring is 14k white gold. The seller listed it as excellent :nono:

Should I reset the diamonds into another setting?
Send it back and get a refund? (the purchase price was under $800)

I'm taking the ring to my jeweler today to see what he thinks of the diamond quality. They look really clean, and very white. I know NOTHING about step cuts, so because I cannot see any inclusions, I am not entirely sure they are real!

20160628_073630.jpg
20160628_073606.jpg
20160628_073306.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are in the refund period I'd return it.
Resetting and paying for a new setting will be expensive.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would re-set the ring into a bracelet.

This was my own carre cut ring, and the diamonds are currently being re-set into an ID bracelet with two loose stones from the same parcel (8 stones in total).

6-stonesquarestepcut.jpg

Reason for re-set/re-model: the ring, along with 2 loose stones, were gifted to me by my mum. The ring is surplus to requirement as a ring as I have my own EC diamond ring that I wear for dressier occasions as a Right Hand Ring, and the left hand normally wears a pearl or CS ring. I could do with a more substantial diamond bracelet, hence I have opted for an ID bracelet, as I used to have one in my youth, and quite like to have one again.

The bracelet should be ready soon, can't wait!

DK :))

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
carre cuts are expensive so it might be worth it to keep the diamonds if they are good quality/color and if you have someone who will reset for a good price...but i agree, resetting can be very expensive! Many if's here,

angela06

Shiny_Rock
Before I throw the baby out with the bathwater, I am interested in finding out if the melee is worth keeping for a future project.
Where can one find carre melee to price out?
I am interested in keeping it IF the melee were valued high enough. If not, then you are right, it is not worth the expense to reset.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assuming they are real (and I think they are because there probably aren't many carre cuts made in cz), I would think they would be worth resetting....IF you love carre cuts and want a band enough to pay for a new setting.

angela06

Shiny_Rock
Hmm. My jeweler said that they are real, about 1ctw, making them between .13-.15 each.

He said given the cost of a reset, after it was all done I'd be in for over $2000, and at that point I have lots of options. :think:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
angela06|1467137484|4049282 said:
Hmm. My jeweler said that they are real, about 1ctw, making them between .13-.15 each.

He said given the cost of a reset, after it was all done I'd be in for over $2000, and at that point I have lots of options. :think:

I'd get my $800 back and start over.

angela06

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Kenny and all who commented. I am going to return the ring. I am surprised that this seller did not disclose the damage to the setting. It's a seller that I have seen recommended here on PS for estate jewelry.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
angela06|1467141340|4049296 said:
Thanks, Kenny and all who commented. I am going to return the ring. I am surprised that this seller did not disclose the damage to the setting. It's a seller that I have seen recommended here on PS for estate jewelry.

What? The pictures didnt show the damage?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1467151404|4049398 said:
angela06|1467141340|4049296 said:

What? The pictures didnt show the damage?

Perhaps you can get it for a reduced price if you are still interested in the stones?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results