shape
carat
color
clarity

Caring for the elderly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Big hugs to you Linda, Lisa, Justjulia and Ellen.

I hope your mom starts eating more Ellen.

Lisa, I hope your dad is doing better, hugs.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
That''s good news, Ellen. I guess that is why there are "senior plates" at restaurants? I got so programmed for anything new to automatically mean trouble w/ my own mother, I''ve forgettem that some things are just normal for aging folks.
It''ll be interesting at the dr visit coming up. I wonder what they''ll say.

Thanks Skippy for the good vibes.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 6:35:15 PM
Author: justjulia
That''s good news, Ellen. I guess that is why there are ''senior plates'' at restaurants? I got so programmed for anything new to automatically mean trouble w/ my own mother, I''ve forgettem that some things are just normal for aging folks.
It''ll be interesting at the dr visit coming up. I wonder what they''ll say.

Thanks Skippy for the good vibes.
I''ve not heard of/seen those, but I would guess maybe so. And yeah, I''m really interested to see what this test says. Will let ya know.

Thanks skippers!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Julia: DH and I order senior plates at restaurants if they have them. LOL.

Ellen, My mom doesn''t eat much any more either and it really bothers me. I cook a lot before we visit her, so she has homemade food and all she does is pick at it.
I will be anxious to hear how your moms tests come out Ellen, I imagine you will too.

Skippy: How is your mom doing sweetheart???

Lisa: I am so glad, your dad isn''t bothering you anymore, you have enough on your plate as it is.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 12:31:20 PM
Author: Linda W

Ellen, My mom doesn''t eat much any more either and it really bothers me. I cook a lot before we visit her, so she has homemade food and all she does is pick at it.
I will be anxious to hear how your moms tests come out Ellen, I imagine you will too.
I think part of mom''s problem, along with loss of appetite, is that being legally blind makes cooking a real challenge. And understandably so.

It''s funny, she went away last weekend to some annual get together for the blind. I asked her how it went, and she went on about how nice it was to have people around all the time, and she didn''t have to cook at all or clean. I felt like saying, you''re talking assisted living right there. But, I didn''t, she doesn''t seem to want to entertain that thought right now.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Ellen,
Appointment''s tomorrow, right?
I hope it goes well.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 8:22:51 PM
Ellen,
Appointment''s tomorrow, right?
I hope it goes well.
Well she had an appt., but I was wrong about which one. Seriously, she has had an insane amount of appts. lately, and we''re far from done. Anywho, today was the oral surgeon, the mental test is next Monday. Sorry about that, and thanks. I''ll let you know how it goes.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Well that''s good that the oral surgeon is done. Maybe eating will be more enjoyable after all this?
You are being a good daughter, running around to all these appointments like this.

Sigh. Time for an oreo and hot chocolate.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
HUgs Ellen, you are being such a trooper. I hope your Mom can eat some more after seeing the oral surgeon. I know how they loose their appetite, happened to my Nanny, and is going on with my parents. But all is good on my front for right now. Sending all my strength to YOU.
12.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 9:04:54 PM
Author: Kaleigh
HUgs Ellen, you are being such a trooper. I hope your Mom can eat some more after seeing the oral surgeon. I know how they loose their appetite, happened to my Nanny, and is going on with my parents. But all is good on my front for right now. Sending all my strength to YOU.
12.gif
Good to hear good things at your end.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 8:02:20 PM
Well that's good that the oral surgeon is done. Maybe eating will be more enjoyable after all this?
You are being a good daughter, running around to all these appointments like this.

Sigh. Time for an oreo and hot chocolate.
lol Indeed (possibly spiking the hot chocolate). Thanks julia. And yes, she now has a permanent partial on the bottom, and a temp on the top until the permanent is ready. So hopefully she can start eating some things she couldn't before.

Lisa, thank you for the strength, I need that.
2.gif
And I'm glad to hear things are going well for you!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
So, like I went google image hunting for anything "peaceful" and I found this print by an artist -kimberly vennes. Thought I''d share. Seems so "take me away-ish" doesn''t it?

Peaceful_Moment_Vennes.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does julia, reminds me of happier, carefree days. *sigh* Thanks you!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just weighed mom and she''s gained 2 lbs., so we''re going in the right direction now hopefully!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2008 6:20:54 PM
So, like I went google image hunting for anything ''peaceful'' and I found this print by an artist -kimberly vennes. Thought I''d share. Seems so ''take me away-ish'' doesn''t it?
That is gorgeous Justjulia, thanks for sharing!!!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2008 5:54:51 PM
Author: Ellen
Just weighed mom and she''s gained 2 lbs., so we''re going in the right direction now hopefully!
Great news Ellen
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 12:31:20 PM
Author: Linda W

Julia: DH and I order senior plates at restaurants if they have them. LOL.

Skippy: How is your mom doing sweetheart???

Lisa: I am so glad, your dad isn''t bothering you anymore, you have enough on your plate as it is.
She is great thank you Linda. How is your mom? I am thinking of you both.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2008 5:54:51 PM

yay!.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!

Skippy, I''m glad your mom is doing well too!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
JJ, thanks for sharing that picture!!

Ellen yay for your Mom gaining 2 pounds, that''s great.

Skippy glad your Mom is doing well.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lisa!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mom had her mental test this morning. I wasn''t with her, only during the Q&A before. She said it was a lot harder than the yearly test she would get with the old doc. The gal who gave her the test said it''s newer, not widely used yet, but it''s fairly accurate in determining what type of dementia one has. i.e. ALZ, regular old age, vascular, etc. Two week wait to find out. So we wait....

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen,

I hope the test wasn''t too draining for your mother. I imagine you are anxious too see what the results are.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 3:31:13 PM
Mom had her mental test this morning. I wasn''t with her, only during the Q&A before. She said it was a lot harder than the yearly test she would get with the old doc. The gal who gave her the test said it''s newer, not widely used yet, but it''s fairly accurate in determining what type of dementia one has. i.e. ALZ, regular old age, vascular, etc. Two week wait to find out. So we wait....
Well I hope they give you some strategies for how to deal with whatever comes of the results. Glad it''s over.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys. Yes, I am definitely curious as to the results. Mom said it was really detailed as far as what she was expected to remember, which frankly wouldn't be that hard compared to the mini test the doc gave her in his office. Anywho, I'll let ya know!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 11:14:40 AM
Thanks guys. Yes, I am definitely curious as to the results. Mom said it was really detailed as far as what she was expected to remember, which frankly wouldn''t be that hard compared to the mini test the doc gave her in his office. Anywho, I''ll let ya know!
I hope they give you some answers.

Thank you all
35.gif

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I work at an upscale retirement community in Virginia and we have a few residents who have dementia and go over to our Assisted Living/Memory Unit area of our community and it''s always heartbreaking to see that, for some of them, their family is never around. We used to have one resident who kept making reservations for our dining room for 8 people because she thought her son and her grandchildren were coming----but we knew he only showed up maybe once every couple of months.

Reading a few pages of this thread has lifted my spirits to see so many caring children helping to care for their parents.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2008 4:43:22 PM
Author: taovandel
I work at an upscale retirement community in Virginia and we have a few residents who have dementia and go over to our Assisted Living/Memory Unit area of our community and it''s always heartbreaking to see that, for some of them, their family is never around. We used to have one resident who kept making reservations for our dining room for 8 people because she thought her son and her grandchildren were coming----but we knew he only showed up maybe once every couple of months.

Reading a few pages of this thread has lifted my spirits to see so many caring children helping to care for their parents.
Welcome Taovandel; glad to have you
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2008 6:13:55 PM
Author: Skippy123

Welcome Taovandel; glad to have you
35.gif
Ditto! And thank you.
35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks for all that You do. I know it''s a hard job. I saw that a lot when I went to visit my Nanny. It breaks your heart.
I remember being little visiting my other grandfather. I was maybe 6 or so. There was a woman that always sat by the entrance. I always said hello to her. I asked her who she was waiting for, she said my husband. He''ll be here shortly. My grandmother took me aside, and said, he died years ago. It made me so sad. To this day, I think about how she sat there, and waited, and why they would have allowed her to do so...
Funny how those things stay with you after all these years.
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results