shape
carat
color
clarity

CaratZone

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thing to keep in mind is that most spinels will shift a little under various light conditions (but not different enough to be considered a colour changer), so it might be pink under one light, more purple under another light source.

voce

Ideal_Rock

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw I think it’s a fun buy. Even if it’s heated it’s still a great price if it’s an attractive and decently cut sapphire. So long as it’s not diffusion treated, fracture filled or flat out not corundum.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How is red spinel treated?

Spinel treatment is still not the norm because the stones usually come out of the ground beautiful and many become less so with high heat so treatment are usually quick and low heat....flux filled maybe (with borax probably....the formula is always a secret). So treatment is not usually to improve color but improve clarity. I read reports that only some reds can improve color and the other colors not.

There are also blues that are cobalt diffused.

It also occurs to soak spinels at native country or cutting centers in baby oil.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is red spinel treated?

I keep an eye on the red spinel market because.....I am a bit obsessed. So far I have seen vendors claiming heat treatment and oiling.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there a lot of postal delays in the area? He says there are postal delays and I did read that Sri Lanka was experiencing lots of rain so perhaps it is all true.

I just never get any postal delays with my other vendors and not all of them are located in the US.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Did it ever arrive?

I forgot to mention: his stuff takes like 5 weeks to arrive to the US, but I always did eventually receive the things I bought. :roll

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It arrived today and the prognosis is not good.

This is what it looks like:

100% eye clean and VS my arse!

20181029_130102.jpg 20181029_130806.jpg 20181029_115502.jpg

The photos and video were obviously designed to HIDE THE MASSIVE BLACK SPOT!!!!!!!!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to sound snappy ladies! Obviously I am not snapping at you guys! I am just shaking my head at the blatant lies. Did he think I was BLIND????

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
noooooo! I'm so sorry that your experience was negative. Boo!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
noooooo! I'm so sorry that your experience was negative. Boo!

Ironically I was so focussed on the colour I did not think to ask "Are there any big honking black spots on your stone?"

Never occurred to me that someone would call the giant black spot 100% eye clean.

Colour you can argue in regards to tones, shades, perception. Big black spot...I don't think so!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ironically I was so focussed on the colour I did not think to ask "Are there any big honking black spots on your stone?"

Never occurred to me that someone would call the giant black spot 100% eye clean.

Colour you can argue in regards to tones, shades, perception. Big black spot...I don't think so!

I'm so sorry :( I do think the color is lovely, but obviously the huge black spot is problematic.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry :( I do think the color is lovely, but obviously the huge black spot is problematic.

It is a gorgeous colour isn't it? No zoning in real life either!

I was so shocked I initially thought the spot was dirt on the stone!

Obviously it's unheated/untreated to have a massive spot like that! :roll:rolleyes:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a gorgeous colour isn't it? No zoning in real life either!

I was so shocked I initially thought the spot was dirt on the stone!

Obviously it's unheated/untreated to have a massive spot like that! :roll:rolleyes:

:( Do you think it could be covered enough for you, or would it always bug you?

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well..............that's not good! Is the spot anywhere near the size of a prong so it could be hidden? AFTER you get a discount for nondisclosure of said "spot"??? Another dilemma solved...........from hereon it will have the name "SPOT"...........................the color is pretty though.

Typing while lovedogs was...........same thoughts.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing...100% eye clean is a blatant lie. I will avoid CaratZone like the plague.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that is just shameful of them. a lot of their photos look overexposed/brightened too. thank you for warning people about this.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys. I am rather shocked! I've never been spoilt with my CS purchases so far and lucked out on some excellent vendors! I've never been lied to like this before!

One vendor I buy from always says his stones are clean. And they are CLEAN. Like loupe clean even! And they are big sized stones! I just cannot fathom how anyone can call this clean. I think based on my past experiences I didn't think anyone in their right mind would call this eye clean.

There are a few other inclusions on the stone that I will let pass as eye clean because you don't notice them unless you examine it right under your nose.

I am also a VERY easygoing customer. Like I keep saying about my jade lady, she sends me all kinds of photos and videos and they come out in different shades sometimes. I pick the worse shade and ask myself whether that is acceptable. I understand that lighting, weather, even opinions can vary. But I do not expect a big black spot!!!!

@digdeep @lovedogs I will show Pink Bandit and the 6yo and see what they say. Pink Bandit is as blind as a bat so if he sees it, that's the death knell for me. It's pretty darn obvious though! I love the colour but I am still reeling from being blatantly tricked!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally unacceptable. I really hate when a vendor does this and I call it "Shenanigans." I had this experience one with a recommended PS vendor who shall not be named and it really opened my eyes to well...........Shenanigans. Lol.

Send it back. Give appropriate feedback to help the next potential buyer make an informed decision before buying an item that is not clearly as described.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have asked him what to do in regards to sending it back.

His response was that at first glance at the stone you cannot see the inclusion! My 6yo said it's a pretty stone but the black spot was the first thing that he saw!

At any rate I was not even trying hard to capture the spot in the photos! It is blatantly there! Would be fine if he were to include the spot in HIS photos and let the buyer decide but if you compare the website photos to mine there was blatant shenanigans as @LisaRN would say to hide it.

This is the first time I have ever returned anything!

ETA: In his response he told me the stone is good value for money!!!!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Doesn't matter if it's the first, second or tenth thing you notice (it's not a race)........it's clearly eye visible!! So sorry you are dealing with this.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh! The issue isn't whether it's noticible "at first glance". Its that he said it was eye clean! And it CLEARLY isn't! Make him let you send it back for a full refund. And if he refuses get Etsy involved. I hate when sellers like like this!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I normally check with Caratzone if there are chips, cracks, inclusions, blackspots etc before buying. I don't look at his description. He once showed me a red spinel and he did state it was eye clean in the description etc. I asked him and he did reveal there was a crack. I did not buy it.

I did buy a pink spinel from him and he gave me wrong measurements - he made out like it was a huge stone. Since it did not match carat weight, I did clarify with him. It was then that he admitted his mistake. By then, I had already bought it and he had already sent it. I did not like that, but the spinel turned out to be a good one.

Maybe, instead of returning you could ask for a further discount. I think he would prefer that, then have to take it back too. This way, when you set it, maybe you could hide the inclusion. Just a thought.

I also think he simply copies from previous listings, so he makes mistakes there.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I couldn’t take that black spot for a second! Thanks for the warning on this vendor. I thought his prices were a little too good to be true. The first photo is pretty. The second photo your spinel looks really included. I’d send it back. I’m sorry this happened to you. What a pain!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hope you leave a review on etsy, so that others are aware of this behavior.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So sorry! This has also been my experience with Carartzone. I would never buy anything other than a complete bargain that I assume will be a bit different than advertised. One Chrysoberyl I bought from him was both not eyeclean as advertised and had way more brown than pictured. I think he just copies and pastes many listings--many times the color descriptions (e.g., "gorgeous neon vivid green, top lustre") is the same for different stones.

Frankly it was also my experience with Tan in the later days when, as I understand it, Tan became ill. Everything I asked about was "gorgeous! amazing! top!" but I really just wanted honest answers about some drawbacks--nearly every stone has them, and I might be willing to live with some at the right price.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the pep talks guys! Taking the doggie down to the post office today to try and work out how to send it by tracked registered post like he's asked.

I shall keep you all updated on this saga! Lol at least it'll keep me too busy to buy anything else!

There is another inclusion on the stone at the bottom edged that bothered Pink Bandit greatly. He says it looks like dirt and would make him want to keep rubbing it off. He's shaking his head at this entire debacle and said I should not be cheap next time!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to sound snappy ladies! Obviously I am not snapping at you guys! I am just shaking my head at the blatant lies. Did he think I was BLIND????

That is no good, no good at all. What an idiot selling stones like this to PS-ers without disclosing flaws. I will never suggest CaratZone to anyone again.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry! This has also been my experience with Carartzone. I would never buy anything other than a complete bargain that I assume will be a bit different than advertised. One Chrysoberyl I bought from him was both not eyeclean as advertised and had way more brown than pictured. I think he just copies and pastes many listings--many times the color descriptions (e.g., "gorgeous neon vivid green, top lustre") is the same for different stones.

Frankly it was also my experience with Tan in the later days when, as I understand it, Tan became ill. Everything I asked about was "gorgeous! amazing! top!" but I really just wanted honest answers about some drawbacks--nearly every stone has them, and I might be willing to live with some at the right price.

That’s too bad about Tan. I think he really left a gap behind for a value vendor who is nice and sells a variety of affordable gems which may have a couple of flaws but are still pretty. There isn’t really anything now that is in between the precision cutters and the random eBay stuff. CaratZone clearly isn’t reliable.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you leave a review on etsy, so that others are aware of this behavior.

I have communicated with him via several messages. In Australia we have to pay 10% tax on purchases from overseas. I asked him about getting my tax refunded as well. He told me to open a case with Etsy and he will action it so I can have my full refund.

I just opened a case but by opening the case I have noticed that my option for leaving a review has now vanished!

I'll keep you guys updated as to whether I get my money back!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results