shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t decide! Need PS poll - Sapphire Ring.

What do you think I should do?

• Go with the Jeff White

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou Lori!
35.gif

And ditto LD.
2.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2009 4:47:41 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 9/27/2009 12:45:05 PM
Author: risingsun

Date: 9/27/2009 1:06:36 AM

Date: 9/27/2009 12:32:21 AM

Date: 9/26/2009 5:48:06 PM
I''ll see if my DH can take the measurements with his metric tools. It may not be spot on, but now you have gotten me curious! I''m not having another sapphire cut, I''m venturing into the wonderful world of tsavorites
1.gif

Sounds good RS - I would be curious, as it is similar ct weight to the one Jeff is proposing for me. It looks like a good size on you.

Oh, sorry I jumped to conclusions! Wow, one of Genes'' tsavs will be awesome - I love that bright cushion he recently listed, very pretty!
My sapphire measures ~7mm x 5mm. HTH. On Gene''s site, the first ''ovalish'' cushion shaped tsavorite, that is marked as sold, is the color, shape, and size stone I would like him to cut for me
2.gif

Thanks Marian for the info, I thought it looked ~7mm.
Ahh, fantastic that was just the tsav I was thinking of! The cut and colour are both fabulous.
Do you know how long until you might have it, and will it go in a ring?
I''m not sure when it will be ready. I have to speak with Gene. I''m planning for it to be in a pendant. I wish I had purchased that tsav when I first viewed it. It sold very quickly
6.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well this is all very exciting! I''m glad you''ve made your choice and I''m sure you''ll love it. Camelot is a wonderful color, well on my monitor anyway!! LOL

Ladies please go charge your camera batteries! The stones will each deserve their own thread.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2009 11:13:21 AM
I''m not sure when it will be ready. I have to speak with Gene. I''m planning for it to be in a pendant. I wish I had purchased that tsav when I first viewed it. It sold very quickly
6.gif

I''m sure yours will be just as nice - but I agree, that oval/cushion stood out to me too, and I''m not even looking for a green. You gotta be awful quick ''round here!
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2009 11:37:47 AM
Author: Stone Hunter
Well this is all very exciting! I''m glad you''ve made your choice and I''m sure you''ll love it. Camelot is a wonderful color, well on my monitor anyway!! LOL

Ladies please go charge your camera batteries! The stones will each deserve their own thread.

Thanks SH! Isn''t it interesting what a difference in monitors does?! These days, I''ve taken to viewing gems I''m interested in both on my home PC and my work one - as they look really rather different. I *hope* that between the 2, I get a reasonable idea, lol..

Mine will (hopefully) be a lil lighter than camelot - likely between that and prince of wales. Just right for my tastes.
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
So, I made my deposit today
36.gif

But now the waiting starts
39.gif
Honestly, this is by far the most excited I''ve been about a gem yet - I don''t know how I''m going to make it through 3-4 weeks
40.gif

....actually, I do..by focusing on other projects, mwa ha ha..there''s always other projects
11.gif
9.gif

Date: 9/29/2009 4:25:06 AM

6.gif

I''m sure yours will be just as nice - but I agree, that oval/cushion stood out to me too, and I''m not even looking for a green. You gotta be awful quick ''round here!
2.gif

... I HAVE been looking for a green....
31.gif
27.gif

Naw naw. I wouldn''t. Honestly even though I have no clue who any of the PSers are, I wouldn''t knowingly buy something that I KNEW someone was going to get for sure. Unless it was a 5 carat D IF diamond for $30. And my card when through first.
11.gif
11.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 4:30:35 AM
Author: swedish bean

6.gif

2.gif

... I HAVE been looking for a green....
31.gif
27.gif

Naw naw. I wouldn''t. Honestly even though I have no clue who any of the PSers are, I wouldn''t knowingly buy something that I KNEW someone was going to get for sure. Unless it was a 5 carat D IF diamond for $30. And my card when through first.
11.gif
11.gif

lol SB...do you mean lurking for a green
25.gif

well, fortunately Gene always gives those who have asked nicely "first crack" at gems before they go up for general sale...

However, I don''t think the same concern for others you''ve described applies when Barry does his drop, for example
6.gif

Oh, and if there were deals like that to be had..well, let''s just say I don''t think many of us would be "online friends" anymore, ha ha..(j/k of course!).

hehehe lurking! No, not quite. I am looking, but I often lurk threads because I get too tired to type. Or I''m bored and I''m on my iphone (PITA to type from)

I just love everyone''s stones! I''ve tried staying away from this sub-forum because... I KNEW there would be 23984 things I want.
38.gif
10.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 5:51:54 AM
hehehe lurking! No, not quite. I am looking, but I often lurk threads because I get too tired to type. Or I'm bored and I'm on my iphone (PITA to type from)

I just love everyone's stones! I've tried staying away from this sub-forum because... I KNEW there would be 23984 things I want.
38.gif
10.gif

he he..you know I'm just joshin ya..actually, I'm glad you mentioned that about your Iphone - my Fi is looking to get a new phone, and was thinking of an apple - but I had heard that issue from others (plus some other problems). Do you like yours? Any other complaints?...anyway, completely off topic, sorry!

lovey, tell me about it...in the last month (more like 3 weeks...), I have purchased....oh gawd, 6 gems! I haven't counted yet, lol!
I'm not even going to add up the $ amount..not doing it!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I added up the $ amount...
32.gif

20.gif

ah well, at least they're purdy.
3.gif

have to edit this to add - I don't care how expensive it is or isn't - I'm soo excited about my sapphire, it don't matter.
36.gif
9.gif

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Arj- you think it will take 3-4 weeks ? Well in the meantime you can work on the ring design. Good luck!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 10:45:16 AM
Author: Spirit
Arj- you think it will take 3-4 weeks ? Well in the meantime you can work on the ring design. Good luck!

Hey Spirit - ya, unfortunately for me that is Jeff''s standard lead time, due to his in-demand services.
I am also factoring in some time for Int. shipping.
Yep, I am going to sit on this one for a while and really make sure I think alot about the setting - I have waayy too many ideas to nail one down yet!
5.gif

It may be longer, if I decide to request a lab cert..

which leads me to my next question.....

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Does anybody recommend getting a lab report on a heated sapphire such as the one I am ordering?

I did a lil research, and am not sure whether
1. It is necessary at all
2. Whether to go with AGL or GIA (Am I correct that AGTA is closed??)
3. To get a brief or extended version.

I guess the main point is, once it's in Aus I don't think there's anywhere I can have this done (I'm happy to be corrected though?)..

I would appreciate any opinions?

I trust Jeff, but I just enjoy having ppwk on my gems/jewellery (plus for insurance and all that blah)..
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s heat treated only and you trust Jeff’s original rough source, a lab certification seems unnecessary to me.
Yes, AGTA is already closed.
If you really want a cert, the brief will most likely be sufficient.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2009 4:30:19 AM

....actually, I do..by focusing on other projects, mwa ha ha..there''s always other projects
11.gif
9.gif

Haha, this is how I''m coping with waiting to get my tsavorite ring back from sally :razz:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

6.gif

2.gif
You speak the truth
38.gif
2.gif

Date: 9/29/2009 6:58:47 AM
Date: 9/29/2009 5:51:54 AM

hehehe lurking! No, not quite. I am looking, but I often lurk threads because I get too tired to type. Or I''m bored and I''m on my iphone (PITA to type from)

I just love everyone''s stones! I''ve tried staying away from this sub-forum because... I KNEW there would be 23984 things I want.
38.gif
10.gif

he he..you know I''m just joshin ya..actually, I''m glad you mentioned that about your Iphone - my Fi is looking to get a new phone, and was thinking of an apple - but I had heard that issue from others (plus some other problems). Do you like yours? Any other complaints?...anyway, completely off topic, sorry!

lovey, tell me about it...in the last month (more like 3 weeks...), I have purchased....oh gawd, 6 gems! I haven''t counted yet, lol!

I''m not even going to add up the $ amount..not doing it!

People call me the Apple pusher.

I LOVE MY IPHONE!!!!!!!!

Complaints? I play with it way too much and the battery dies faster- so I have a car charger and am always charging it.
Normally browsing websites (If I need to) is just fine with the phone, it''s just that pricescope has such a wide forum that I scroll a lot on the phone if I''m checking from it.

The plus side is that there is an app for everything. My favorites are facebook, ebay, and FML :)

Sooo back to gems. :)

You have nice style AJ and I look forward to seeing your projects!!

adams828

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 12:46:22 PM
Author: Chrono
If it’s heat treated only and you trust Jeff’s original rough source, a lab certification seems unnecessary to me.

Yes, AGTA is already closed.

If you really want a cert, the brief will most likely be sufficient.

Not to thread hijack, but such a similar question..

Chrono would you say that if the stone was unheated, you would recommend getting a cert? I am not as concerned personally, but not sure if it would make a big difference for insurance reasons? Also how does one go about getting an AGL or GIA cert - i.e. where to send it, cost, how long it takes.. Thanks!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 4:30:19 AM
So, I made my deposit today
36.gif

But now the waiting starts
39.gif
Honestly, this is by far the most excited I''ve been about a gem yet - I don''t know how I''m going to make it through 3-4 weeks
40.gif

11.gif
9.gif

I seriously can not wait to see this one done!!!
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2009 3:59:50 PM
Author: adams828
Not to thread hijack, but such a similar question..

Chrono would you say that if the stone was unheated, you would recommend getting a cert? I am not as concerned personally, but not sure if it would make a big difference for insurance reasons? Also how does one go about getting an AGL or GIA cert - i.e. where to send it, cost, how long it takes.. Thanks!
For me, it depends on many variables which usually are a combination of all 3 below.
1. Is the gemstone family known to have good synthetics or unscrupulous treatment?
2. The rarity and price point of the gemstone
3. The reputation of the vendor

Say, I’m buying a padparadscha, I’ll get it certified no matter the vendor. If I’m getting an unheated blue sapphire, getting it certified will depend on the price point. If you have a very good independent appraiser who is able to do a good write up, that is also fine for insurance purposes. The reason you need some sort of detailed documentation for a gemstone of high value is that when it needs to be replaced, the insurance company then will be able to pay out cash what it is really worth (won’t short change you. They almost never pay out the full insured value) or give a true comparable replacement.

I’ve not gotten any stones certified by GIA but I’m sure you’ll be able to find instructions at the GIA website on how to proceed. AGL takes about a week or two and they are located in NY, IIRC. Unless the stone is super duper rare and expensive, the $25 AGL brief should be sufficient. Again, it’s pretty easy to find their website.

adams828

Rough_Rock
Thanks! So for example, if it was an unheated sapphire from a reputable vendor that is well known & respected on the PS boards.

At what price point in your opinion would it make sense to get a cert (again from the insurance/appraisal) perspective?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the sapphire is from a well known and respected PS vendor, I''d skip the cert and go to an independent appraiser for insurance purposes. Be sure the appraiser is good and has all the right tools for verifying treatment, etc.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2009 9:02:31 PM
If the sapphire is from a well known and respected PS vendor, I''d skip the cert and go to an independent appraiser for insurance purposes. Be sure the appraiser is good and has all the right tools for verifying treatment, etc.

Seconded!

I can''t wait to see the jeff white sapphire, and what you do with it!! Do you think you''ll go with Julia on that one as well?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono for the lab and appraiser advice - I will have to start looking now for someone who is experienced in appraising coloured gems - I''m not very confident on finding one with the sort of equipment and experience the US appraisers mentioned here have
40.gif

It look me long enough to find the one person in town who had all the equipment for diamonds
14.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 9:52:55 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Date: 9/29/2009 9:02:31 PM

Seconded!

I can''t wait to see the jeff white sapphire, and what you do with it!! Do you think you''ll go with Julia on that one as well?

Hey MTG...I''m not decided on this one yet - I''ll most likely choose quite a different design than I normally you, with a reasonable amount of side diamonds. I''m not sure if Julia will be the right person.

I''m thinking maybe BGD, although I would love to have it 100% handmade..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ,
Since your stone is from the US, perhaps Jeff might be able to send it directly to a US appraiser? It would mean you will not be able to see it beforehand though.
34.gif
Ummm...maybe it''s not a good idea after all.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 10:05:43 PM
AJ,

Since your stone is from the US, perhaps Jeff might be able to send it directly to a US appraiser? It would mean you will not be able to see it beforehand though.
34.gif
Ummm...maybe it''s not a good idea after all.

Australian insurers will only accept Australian appraisals - I''ve checked before
7.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2009 10:10:51 PM
Australian insurers will only accept Australian appraisals - I''ve checked before
7.gif
Wow... a pretty stringent rule.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 10:15:32 PM
Date: 9/29/2009 10:10:51 PM

Australian insurers will only accept Australian appraisals - I've checked before
7.gif
Wow... a pretty stringent rule.

Ya, I know. Admittedly I didn't ask every insurer in the state - but I did ask most, lol..

Apparently they won't even take a US one done in both US and AU dollars
20.gif

Although to be honest, I think many of them this was the first time they'd heard these questions! I don't know of *anyone* (off the boards of course) who buys jewellery/gems from O/S like I do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results