shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t decide! Need PS poll - Sapphire Ring.

What do you think I should do?

• Go with the Jeff White

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hello folks,

So, I am in the middle of a blue sapphire search.
Further to this discussion with the helpful Tropicmaster here, I am very much in two minds about what to do, and would love some opinions.

What I am after: a 7-8mm oval or cushion medium-light blue sapphire, with violet undertones or violet flashes (very much like Tropic''s stone).
No preference for heated vs unheated.

The options:

1. Gary Braun oval - 1.25 carats, 6.60 x 5.27 x 4.43mm, VS clarity. Certified AGTA unheated and colour change, from medium-light blue in natural light, to purple/violet in incandescent. (link)

2. Jeff White custom cut - specs not definite yet, but would be ~1.7-2ct, ~7.5mm, heated Sri Lankan, in a design of my choosing - I would like an elongated cushion cut with chunky facets. No link, but I''ll post pics below.

The dilemma - The Gary stone is just that *tiny* bit small for what I''m looking for.
It''s such a bummer it''s not just 0.5mm larger, or it would be in the mail already!

I had a desired ring design in mind coming into this, for a 3 stone with diamond sides, and I''m not sure if that size sapphire could hold it''s own. More on that in a minute..

As far as budget, the JW will be approx double the cost of the GB - but I will be getting to select the colour and design, and it has the extra size to work with my original ring concept.
I have the budget for the JW, but it may mean a month or so of saving until I can start the setting process - whereas with the GB stone, I could afford to set it straight away.

Obviously, I won''t be buying another sapphire anytime soon, so I really feel like I want to get it just right.
Of course, I could order the Gary stone just to see what I think in person - but I''d feel kinda bad if I only have 50% intention of keeping it..

Ok, thankyou anyone who has come this far!
sooo..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Whoops - that poll should've also had an "other" option - if you'd like to vote other, pls post and I'll make sure I take them into consideration.

Also, of course please give your reasoning and post when you vote - please!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so photos - Gary''s first..

GB sapph ppt.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
And now Jeff''s..

JW sapph pp t.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are undecided about Gary’s sapphire. Size is already an issue before you even see it in person. It’s because of that, I know you aren’t going to be happy with it in the long run. You’ll always be thinking of the “what if” at the back of your mind. As such, I suggest saving up and taking your time to find the right stone – colour, shape, size, etc.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I''d really appreciate people''s inputs, as I''m torn 50/50 on this one.

Should I post the ring designs? Or would that colour people''s choice?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey Chrono - yes, I guess you're right.

As I mentioned in the original post - I do already have the budget for the larger JW stone, and he has some suitable rough (well, re-cut stones).

I guess though, the attraction of Gary's stone is;
1. half the price
2. all natural, no heat
3. colour change (the combo of these two is admittedly rare, and so somewhat appealing).
4. according to Tropic, who has seen it in person, he says it's a total stunner.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wait since you seem it might be too small already, and you don't seem to specifically be looking for a color change stone and may not like that it seems for purple than blue in some lighting? It seems like you may be happier with something a bit bigger and that has the color you really want (and keeps that color).

I wouldn't mind seeing the design, hehe.
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 8:59:34 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I would wait since you seem it might be too small already, and you don''t seem to specifically be looking for a color change stone and may not like that it seems for purple than blue in some lighting? It seems like you may be happier with something a bit bigger and that has the color you really want (and keeps that color).

I wouldn''t mind seeing the design, hehe.
1.gif

Thanks MTG - so would that be a vote for the JW?
Actually, I originally started looking for a sapph with at least some violet, so the CC to violet does appeal to me in that sense. Although you''re right, I''m not a person that colour-changers "matter" to.
I''ve asked Jeff for a stone with at least some violet in it, too.

You''re right I would really like something just that bit bigger - is 1mm worth 1k though..?
2.gif

Okay, designs to follow..Although I''d appreciate if folks could try to vote based on the gems, lol..
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I can't find an exact photo of what I have in mind for the 3 stone, but this LM is pretty close..
I imagine, this would only work with the larger Jeff stone.

The elongated cushion would be set N-S, with diamond sides likely in tapered step cut traps, or maybe "chubby" bullets.
But I would have the shank in 18kt yellow gold, thicken it up a bit, and maybe bezel the side diamonds. Think sort of like Matata's lovely new 5 stone from BGD, such as her vintage touches perhaps like a milgrained shank edge.
The sapphire would be prong set.

(99%, I will *not* have it made by Leon btw.
1.gif
)

r764-21Ww.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
And this would be the general idea for Gary's smaller oval -
set east-west, also with diamond sides, but bezel centre like these CM creations..

setting for GB sapph.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
To me a 6.5mm and a 7.5m stone, being the same shape, is quite a big visual difference so it might be worth it to get a bigger stone. Though the Finewater sapphire is gorgeous and I don''t know why it hasn''t been snapped up already. Do show us how you plan on setting your sapphire later on.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 9:17:27 AM
Author: Lovinggems
To me a 6.5mm and a 7.5m stone, being the same shape, is quite a big visual difference so it might be worth it to get a bigger stone. Though the Finewater sapphire is gorgeous and I don''t know why it hasn''t been snapped up already. Do show us how you plan on setting your sapphire later on.

Hi LG,
thanks for your thoughts - already caved, see above
2.gif

I agree, I have no idea why the Gary stone hasn''t sold - it''s a great gem at a great price.
Wish I could do both, lol!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 9:19:39 AM
Author: arjunajane

Hi LG,
2.gif

I agree, I have no idea why the Gary stone hasn''t sold - it''s a great gem at a great price.
Told you you''re efficient.
9.gif

Too bad LM is so erratic, such lovely prongs.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bargain is not a real bargain if it’s not what you are looking for. 1 mm is a very visible difference and in gemstones, the price difference will be there, especially for an unheated sapphire. As to how much more, I guess that’s a personal determination though.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 9:31:02 AM
Author: Chrono
A bargain is not a real bargain if it’s not what you are looking for. 1 mm is a very visible difference and in gemstones, the price difference will be there, especially for an unheated sapphire. As to how much more, I guess that’s a personal determination though.

Yep, agreed.
The Jeff will be heated, that is already confirmed. But I don''t mind either way, as long as it''s the right colour.
The Gary stone is 1k, and the Jeff stone will be almost double.
However, I do have the budget on hand for the Jeff, that''s not an issue - so I guess that''s a definite for the JW from you Chrono?
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 9:26:07 AM
Date: 9/25/2009 9:19:39 AM

Hi LG,

2.gif

Told you you''re efficient.
9.gif

Too bad LM is so erratic, such lovely prongs.

ha ha..
yeah, I just can''t go there with Leon, esp. long distance - I''d be too stressed!
I''m thinking BGD...although I would love to have it 100% handmade..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
hrmm..that''s 10 votes for jeff, and one for gary..

may I know why for the person that voted Gary? It would help me
5.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think given the fact that you started this poll speaks volumes.

I adore Gary''s cutting style, and that oval is simply gorgeous, but you''re looking for a stone with more impact, and +1mm will have a greater impact. Especially given the 3 stone design you''re envisioning.

I can''t wait to watch this project unfold for you AJ!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I vote the Jeff stone..i think the tone is much better

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 9:59:18 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I think given the fact that you started this poll speaks volumes.

I adore Gary''s cutting style, and that oval is simply gorgeous, but you''re looking for a stone with more impact, and +1mm will have a greater impact. Especially given the 3 stone design you''re envisioning.

I can''t wait to watch this project unfold for you AJ!

Cheers for your input Lauren,
I appreciate it.

Hon, do you mind to elaborate on what you meant by your first comment?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Both stones are lovely, but you seem to know what you want. I think looking at something that is beautiful and half the price can be convincing and tempting, but for a sapphire statement ring, the JW is hard to turn down. Its the opportunity to have exactly what you want, even if it costs more.

The settings are great
30.gif
, but even as a bezel fan, I''m partial to the LM idea.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:06:15 AM
Author: amethystguy
I vote the Jeff stone..i think the tone is much better

Thanks amythest - just fyi, that stone isn''t the one I''ll be getting, that''s a previously sold one. Jeff hasn''t started cutting for me yet.
However, he did say the colour of the one that would work for me is very close to that cushion - goes more violet in incandescent, and more of a pure blue in sunlight.

With all of that out the way...was there any other reasons but the tone why you voted Jeff?

cheers!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:07:19 AM
Author: Novel
Both stones are lovely, but you seem to know what you want. I think looking at something that is beautiful and half the price can be convincing and tempting, but for a sapphire statement ring, the JW is hard to turn down. Its the opportunity to have exactly what you want, even if it costs more.

The settings are great
30.gif
, but even as a bezel fan, I''m partial to the LM idea.

Thanks novel for the opinion on the stone and design.
I do know what I want theoretically, just not necessarily which one I want IRL, lol!

tbh, starting this thread was exactly the insights I needed. I''m glad I did so.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
It sounds as if the larger stone is really what appeals to you and you can have input into how it is cut. I have a 1.73 ct, cornflower blue Ceylon sapphire. I really wouldn''t want it any smaller. It lost ~.3mm in a recent recut. I would get the JW stone and have what you really want and wait to get it set. I hope you enjoy your new blue stunner
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/25/2009 9:36:18 AM

Yep, agreed.
The Jeff will be heated, that is already confirmed. But I don''t mind either way, as long as it''s the right colour.
However, I do have the budget on hand for the Jeff, that''s not an issue - so I guess that''s a definite for the JW from you Chrono?
5.gif
Not exactly; it is going to depend on the material that he suggests.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
AJ, I think that is the sapphire that I bought from Gary back in January (??) and returned because I didn't think the color was the same as it had appeared in the photos. From my experience with the stone in person, it looks *much* more commonly like the purple photo. I did take it out into natural daylight, and it is a little bluer in that lighting, but not as blue as it appears in the vendor picture. For some reason, the stone looks very blue when photographed but not in person. Something to do with the filter I assume.

It is a nice stone, but too small IMHO for a ring, and perhaps a little dark. The size also means it is hard to see the facet pattern, which is something I like.

I would say to get it and see how *you* feel about it, maybe it will speak to you (it is very well cut of course), but since you are in AU and returning it could be difficult I dont know what to advise.

ETA I think it would go too dark in a bezel like that. Maybe you want a dark look though? In most lights it would look like a very dark purple stone bezelled I suspect.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Whilst I have ya''ll on this topic, I would sincerely also like some advice on the proposed cut for the JW stone too..(supposing I go that way).
2.gif

I''m looking for both general opinions, and also techy info on what types of cuts should be used on sapphires to bring out the most brilliance and brightness of colour.
Just to be clear, I''m personally not fond of the deeper blue sapphs (no offence to anyone) - I think they''re Kashmir usually? I really want something that''s bright, reasonably light and sparkles alot, such as the pics of Tropic''s stone.

Does anyone know, out of the cuts below, which would be better suited to sapphire, and which would cause the stone to darken more, etc?
I know this is stuff I can ask Jeff, but I also know we have alot of knowledge here too..

I''m really after a chunky style cushion (yes, I''m obsessed, lol!) -I don''t want anything too modern, as I think it could clash with my ring design ideas.

Jeff suggested the stone on the top left.
The one underneath is the same, but more elongated.
The one on the right was something I bookmarked as looking nice n chunky.

- does anyone have opinions/info on which would work better to ensure the stone doesn''t darken too much, has alot of brilliance, etc?
Any other suggestions/photos of cuts would be greatly appreciated too, I''m open to suggestion - doesn''t matter who it''s from.

sapph cuts options.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:19:49 AM
Date: 9/25/2009 9:36:18 AM

Yep, agreed.

5.gif

Not exactly; it is going to depend on the material that he suggests.

Hey C -
this is what Jeff has told me about the one he thinks suits my needs best - but there are also other options that could work, he said:

The colour is very close to the sapphire I posted in the collage in the post above.
It has a slight violet undertone in incandescent light and more of a pure blue in sunlight. It is heated, Sri Lankan I believe. Clarity is excellent, will recut to near flawless.

any thoughts?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
AJ -

If size is really holding you back, I think you should go for the bigger stone. I have a tsavorite that is a great color, and that I love, but only wear once a week or so because of the size. The sapphire is the "right" size for my hand. I ended up having to increase my budget by about $700 to make the color/size combo work. If you are willing to do that, I think you will be happier in the long run. You will also save yourself money in the long run because if you get one that is too small, but love the color, you will be looking for a bigger sapphire a few years later.

How long will it take for Jeff White to find the right stone for you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results