shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging TropicMaster!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey tropicmaster,

I was hoping I could have your thoughts for a minute - I saw you mention in a couple
threads how you had seen Gary B''s CC oval sapphire in person.
I am the person that currently has this stone on hold, and agree with you that it is a
v. good price for a natural CC.

My only reservation is the size - if it were only ~1mm larger, I would''ve pounced already! It is the right cut for me too.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the colour IRL - another PS''er had purchased this stone in the past
and returned it, as it was not what she was expecting from the photos.
Was it mostly violet IRL, or did it show the blue of Gary''s pics?

Your input would be greatly appreciated - I live in Australia, otherwise I would simply buy it to check out in person.
I don''t want to waste mine and Gary''s time if it''s not the right stone for me, kwim?

Looking forward to your thoughts!
regards
AJ.
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
bump for mr or mrs tropic
5.gif

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
Hey Arunajane. In the light we saw the stone ( indoor fluorescent ) it had more blue than MrsTropicmasters E ring stone ( see avatar ). It was not the deep deep blue you see on some stones on here, but it was definately blue. Mostly what it was was SPECTACULAR! The cut and sparkle rival our JeffW stone. If I had had any kind of Sapphire project going you would not be able to have it on hold because it would be here with me! Likes and dislikes are subjective but I dont see how anybody could not love this stone.

ETA- I just went and looked on Garys site, and on my monitor the blue shot he has looks very close if not exact to what I saw IRL. If you put my avatar shot right next to his, the CC is just a bit more blue, and thats what I saw IRL.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2009 4:47:18 PM
Author: Tropicmaster
Hey Arunajane. In the light we saw the stone ( indoor fluorescent ) it had more blue than MrsTropicmasters E ring stone ( see avatar ). It was not the deep deep blue you see on some stones on here, but it was definately blue. Mostly what it was was SPECTACULAR! The cut and sparkle rival our JeffW stone. If I had had any kind of Sapphire project going you would not be able to have it on hold because it would be here with me! Likes and dislikes are subjective but I dont see how anybody could not love this stone.

ETA- I just went and looked on Garys site, and on my monitor the blue shot he has looks very close if not exact to what I saw IRL. If you put my avatar shot right next to his, the CC is just a bit more blue, and thats what I saw IRL.

Thanks so much for the reply Tropic!
It''s really nice to hear from someone that has admired the stone in person.

Interesting that you compare it to your ering stone, as that is the one I would use as an example to contact JW
5.gif
In your real life pics of that ring and stone, it appears to have quite distinct violet undertones, flashes - would you say this is correct to what you see (I''d like a blue-violet stone).

Like I mentioned, it''s just a *tad* smaller than what I was seeking, but I''m wondering whether to just get over it for the great colour and cut.
I know this may be difficult for you to answer as it was a lil while ago, but size wise would you say it''s not big enough to hold it''s own with diamond sides in a 3 stone ring?
For reference, I was planning on using step cut traps or "chubby" bullets...but I''m concerned the size of the diamonds will have to be too small to appreciate these cuts.

If this Q is too abstract for you to answer, I understand, ha ha..

Thanks heaps for answering!

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
AJ you are very much correct about the violet undertones in our stone. It can look very different in varying light sources. I only saw Gary''s for a few minutes and only indoors, but it certainly had some of the same violet, although not as much. I cant say about the size! If you are looking for a big blingy statement ring it probably would not suffice. If you are looking for an exquisite, subtle ring of beauty I think it would be wonderful. Gary is fantastic to work with, and his return policy is generous so why dont you just get the thing sent to you so you can look at it? I know shipping to AU is expensive and a pain, but stones like this dont come along every day, at least not that I have found.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 6:09:33 AM
Author: Tropicmaster
AJ you are very much correct about the violet undertones in our stone. It can look very different in varying light sources. I only saw Gary''s for a few minutes and only indoors, but it certainly had some of the same violet, although not as much. I cant say about the size! If you are looking for a big blingy statement ring it probably would not suffice. If you are looking for an exquisite, subtle ring of beauty I think it would be wonderful. Gary is fantastic to work with, and his return policy is generous so why dont you just get the thing sent to you so you can look at it? I know shipping to AU is expensive and a pain, but stones like this dont come along every day, at least not that I have found.

Hey again T,

Cheers for the further info - please excuse me as I''m very much still learning about sapphs, but is yours considered a medium colour? light-medium?
I know I''m not personally fond of the very dark blue stones, hence my interest in yours. But I''d like to (at least sort of) know what I''m speaking of when I ask cutters about stones, as monitors are so deceiving.
40.gif

What you''ve said is what I''m considering (just having it sent over to check out in person) - I would just feel guilty after all the trouble if I didn''t keep it, as Gary has already sold this stone to a PSer and it was returned.
I guess that''s my hang-up though!

Nope, "big and blingy" is not my thing. But I did have a strong idea of incorporating diamond sides from the start..I know it may not to be everyone''s tastes, but if I did go for Gary''s oval I would do something like this to help with the smaller size...I love high kt yellow gold with blue-violet sapphs..

1186cm.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Tropic, I would appreciate your opinion in my new thread, seeing as your in the unique circumstance of having seen both..
link to poll

thanks!

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
hi AJ...

It''s a lovely stone you are considering, but I hear you on the shipping so many miles away. It''s my problem too, it''s just such a pain to consider returning something, and especially a high ticket stone.

Does Gary have any video capability? Or is there any way the stone could be sent to a trusted vendor, that does have video capability...I''m thinking where you got your diamond from??!!

Perhaps if the insurance issue was nailed down, it could be a way to accomplish really ''seeing'' the stone?

Just thoughts...I may be way off the mark here!

good luck in deciding

1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 12:06:35 PM
Author: pwendyp
hi AJ...

It''s a lovely stone you are considering, but I hear you on the shipping so many miles away. It''s my problem too, it''s just such a pain to consider returning something, and especially a high ticket stone.

Does Gary have any video capability? Or is there any way the stone could be sent to a trusted vendor, that does have video capability...I''m thinking where you got your diamond from??!!

Perhaps if the insurance issue was nailed down, it could be a way to accomplish really ''seeing'' the stone?

Just thoughts...I may be way off the mark here!

good luck in deciding

1.gif

Hi Wendy,
thanks for commiserating with me
2.gif
I don''t think Gary has video. Sending the stone to Jon (GOG) is a good idea - however, I''ve been told that sapphs photograph (and I''m guessing video) quite different to real life.
It''s apparently something you really need to see to decide properly..

But anyways..all of that is moot now, as I''ve decided to go with Jeff White for a custom sapphire. The Gary B stone is a rare and v.pretty sapphire, but just wasn''t the one for me
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results