shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t decide! Need PS poll - Sapphire Ring.

What do you think I should do?

• Go with the Jeff White

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:21:13 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
AJ, I think that is the sapphire that I bought from Gary back in January (??) and returned because I didn''t think the color was the same as it had appeared in the photos. From my experience with the stone in person, it looks *much* more commonly like the purple photo. I did take it out into natural daylight, and it is a little bluer in that lighting, but not as blue as it appears in the vendor picture. For some reason, the stone looks very blue when photographed but not in person. Something to do with the filter I assume.

It is a nice stone, but too small IMHO for a ring, and perhaps a little dark. The size also means it is hard to see the facet pattern, which is something I like.

I would say to get it and see how *you* feel about it, maybe it will speak to you (it is very well cut of course), but since you are in AU and returning it could be difficult I dont know what to advise.

ETA I think it would go too dark in a bezel like that. Maybe you want a dark look though? In most lights it would look like a very dark purple stone bezelled I suspect.

Thanks DD for your opinions - I actually paged you in Hangout, as I was aware of your prior experience with this stone.
It''s kinda odd, as your description and Tropicmaster''s (who has also seen it in person), are almost at odds.
I guess it just shows how subjective these lil things really are hey?!

Thanks for the thought on the bezel - that was of course a concern of mine.

Did you buy it for a ring, and found it was too small?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
AJ -

If size is really holding you back, I think you should go for the bigger stone. I have a tsavorite that is a great color, and that I love, but only wear once a week or so because of the size. My sapphire is the "right" size for my hand. I ended up having to increase my budget by about $700 to make the color/size combo work (actually the jeweler I was working with didn't have smaller stones, but his colors were so nice, I wanted to make it work). If you are willing to do that, I think you will be happier in the long run. You will also save yourself money in the long run because if you get one that is too small, but love the color, you will be looking for a bigger sapphire a few years later.

How long will it take for Jeff White to find the right stone for you?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:18:04 AM
Author: risingsun
It sounds as if the larger stone is really what appeals to you and you can have input into how it is cut. I have a 1.73 ct, cornflower blue Ceylon sapphire. I really wouldn''t want it any smaller. It lost ~.3mm in a recent recut. I would get the JW stone and have what you really want and wait to get it set. I hope you enjoy your new blue stunner
1.gif

Thanks rising for your input.
I would appreciate to see photos of your sapphire - do you have any online?

Thankyou, I''m sure I will!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask Jeff for a picture of the rough he selected. He’s a dear and I’m sure he’ll do it for you. I’ll leave the design up to Jeff since he’s knowledgeable on how the different pattern will affect colour/brilliance/etc. I have to say though that I’m partial to the design he did on my spessartite (obviously
9.gif
) which is the same as the peridot in this month’s Gem Scoop.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:29:30 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
AJ -

If size is really holding you back, I think you should go for the bigger stone. I have a tsavorite that is a great color, and that I love, but only wear once a week or so because of the size. The sapphire is the ''right'' size for my hand. I ended up having to increase my budget by about $700 to make the color/size combo work. If you are willing to do that, I think you will be happier in the long run. You will also save yourself money in the long run because if you get one that is too small, but love the color, you will be looking for a bigger sapphire a few years later.

How long will it take for Jeff White to find the right stone for you?

Hi ltl,
cheers for your input.
Yeah, I have a feeling you could be right on the size issue. Good point about the long run.

Fortunately, Jeff has a stone or two that will work for my request - how long it will take to cut, I cannot say.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:29:33 AM
Author: arjunajane

AJ, I think that is the sapphire that I bought from Gary back in January (??) and returned because I didn''t think the color was the same as it had appeared in the photos. From my experience with the stone in person, it looks *much* more commonly like the purple photo. I did take it out into natural daylight, and it is a little bluer in that lighting, but not as blue as it appears in the vendor picture. For some reason, the stone looks very blue when photographed but not in person. Something to do with the filter I assume.

It is a nice stone, but too small IMHO for a ring, and perhaps a little dark. The size also means it is hard to see the facet pattern, which is something I like.

I would say to get it and see how *you* feel about it, maybe it will speak to you (it is very well cut of course), but since you are in AU and returning it could be difficult I dont know what to advise.

ETA I think it would go too dark in a bezel like that. Maybe you want a dark look though? In most lights it would look like a very dark purple stone bezelled I suspect.

Thanks DD for your opinions - I actually paged you in Hangout, as I was aware of your prior experience with this stone.
It''s kinda odd, as your description and Tropicmaster''s (who has also seen it in person), are almost at odds.

I did buy it for a ring, and when I got it was a little surprised at how small it actually was. Knowing the measurements and seeing it are two different things, KWIM? I was underwhelmed. I wanted to make a three stone and couldn''t see it working. Also, I have come to realize that I want my jewels to look awesome in the lighting where I spend the most time, so if it only looks great in certain environments I know it wouldn''t cut it for me. It is a little surprising that Tropicmaster thought it was stunning, maybe he was in a better lighting environment? But then he didn''t buy it, so one some level it wasn''t winning him over. If you want a smaller purple saph I would say snap it up, it is great for what it is. If you want a large blue saph then this is NOT the stone for you.

You wondered why it hasn''t sold...I think it ic bc it is very hard to photograph and hence people who get it are surprised, and not in a good way. Also, I think it should be more accurately described as a purple saph that looks blueish in some lights. Perhaps tropic can describe to you what exactly he loved about it, if he hasn''t already? It may help.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:32:54 AM
Author: Chrono
Ask Jeff for a picture of the rough he selected. He’s a dear and I’m sure he’ll do it for you. I’ll leave the design up to Jeff since he’s knowledgeable on how the different pattern will affect colour/brilliance/etc. I have to say though that I’m partial to the design he did on my spessartite (obviously
9.gif
) which is the same as the peridot in this month’s Gem Scoop.

Yep, that was my next move re. the photos. Can you tell me something, the cushion that I mentioned is supposed to be close to "my" intended rough - would this be considered? medium to light? I''m just trying to learn, make sure I ask for the right things
1.gif

I love that design too, but feel it will be a lil modern for my ring idea.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:37:13 AM
Date: 9/25/2009 10:29:33 AM

I did buy it for a ring, and when I got it was a little surprised at how small it actually was. Knowing the measurements and seeing it are two different things, KWIM? I was underwhelmed. I wanted to make a three stone and couldn''t see it working. Also, I have come to realize that I want my jewels to look awesome in the lighting where I spend the most time, so if it only looks great in certain environments I know it wouldn''t cut it for me. It is a little surprising that Tropicmaster thought it was stunning, maybe he was in a better lighting environment? But then he didn''t buy it, so one some level it wasn''t winning him over. If you want a smaller purple saph I would say snap it up, it is great for what it is. If you want a large blue saph then this is NOT the stone for you.

You wondered why it hasn''t sold...I think it ic bc it is very hard to photograph and hence people who get it are surprised, and not in a good way. Also, I think it should be more accurately described as a purple saph that looks blueish in some lights. Perhaps tropic can describe to you what exactly he loved about it, if he hasn''t already? It may help.

Hey dreamer,
cheers for the reply.
Just to clarify, Tropicmaster had already purchased his JW sapphire at that stage - it is odd though, as he says the blue colour of Gary''s photo is almost exactly what he saw IRL (this is indoors too I believe). *shrugs* - I guess these things are just very subjective!

Also, I believe when you bought it, Gary hadn''t confirmed it was a true colour-change.

It has now been certified colour-change, the AGTA says “the color of this stone changes blue in daylight to purple in incandescent light”.

I think that Gary''s revised description, and the confirmation of CC, should help folks know what to expect. Gary has sent me a number of different photos in different lighting, so I feel I do have an idea what to expect..

I do really appreciate your input, it''s valuable to have the perspective of two different consumers who have seen the stone. I''m sorry you were disappointed by it.
I think it will be great for someone who really wants a colour-changer.

Plus you''re right about the size issue...

35.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see what you end up with. Sapphires are my favorite.

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Once you have your heart set on a larger size, you won''t be happy for long with the smaller one . You may always think " if only I had spent a little more and got the size I really wanted".
I am currently in the midst of a sapphire project with Jeff also and he is a pleasure to deal with. He is passionate about his work and his enthusiasm is passed on to his clients. My vote for you is to wait for the right stone - size, colour, and cut. Don''t compromise. . Be patient until it feels right, and in the meantime save up your extra money! Bonus if you get a custom cut from Jeff!
Good luck!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like the smaller stone is usually purple. You really want blue. And the smaller stone will sometimes be blue but it will always be smaller.

Both are cut well. So go for the bigger stone that is blue all of the time! That way you won''t need/want to change your stone in the future.

HTH

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 11:21:02 AM
Author: Spirit
Once you have your heart set on a larger size, you won''t be happy for long with the smaller one . You may always think '' if only I had spent a little more and got the size I really wanted''.

I am currently in the midst of a sapphire project with Jeff also and he is a pleasure to deal with. He is passionate about his work and his enthusiasm is passed on to his clients. My vote for you is to wait for the right stone - size, colour, and cut. Don''t compromise. . Be patient until it feels right, and in the meantime save up your extra money! Bonus if you get a custom cut from Jeff!

Good luck!

Thanks spirit for the input.

May I ask, once he had the right rough, how long is it taking Jeff to finish your stone?
I''m just curious, as I haven''t been able to speak to him as yet.

What kind of colour, cut and size are you going for? I''d love to hear about it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best thing is to ask Jeff since it’s his opinion that counts the most right now. If you like that colour and tone and supplied the picture to Jeff with the intention of him getting something very similar, he’ll be able to give his opinion if he considers it a medium or medium light. I doubt it’s considered light toned.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
My sapphire that is flat faceted from Richard Homer is 6.8 mm. Granted mine is round, but I really wish I had gone with a bigger stone. It seems like the Jeff White stone will be lovely and if you have to wait a bit to get it set you will still have what you really want in the long run.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
After reading for like half an hour, let me see if I got it right. If you get a cushion, you''ll do the first design, and if you get an oval, you''ll do the second one? Well, which of the two designs would you rather have? Which would you wear more? Also, note that the ring in LM photo has an octagon cut stone (some sort of a scissor cut, I''d say), so doing the same design with an elongated cushion might not result with the same effect. Also, try to check (if possible), what is the size of the center stone in that photo - seems to me like it''s at least 8 mm, and doing the same design with a 6.5 or 7 mm stone, wouldn''t result in the same proportions.

Both designs are lovely, but they''re quite different from eachother. While the first one is more dressy and with a contemporary feel, the 2nd one is more inspired by ancient arts, and might even be more suitable for casual wear.

If I misunderstood something, just say the word
2.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:07:14 AM

Date: 9/25/2009 9:59:18 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I think given the fact that you started this poll speaks volumes.

I adore Gary''s cutting style, and that oval is simply gorgeous, but you''re looking for a stone with more impact, and +1mm will have a greater impact. Especially given the 3 stone design you''re envisioning.

I can''t wait to watch this project unfold for you AJ!

Cheers for your input Lauren,
I appreciate it.

Hon, do you mind to elaborate on what you meant by your first comment?
Sure, AJ! I just mean that you COULD have had that oval right NOW, but you''re wavering enough on it that you needed to ask PSers for their opinions. If it was REALLY what you wanted, you would have just bought it and posted the pictures when you got it.
2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
AJ, I haven''t read anything past the initial post question, but I voted Jeff White. If you''re in a position to get exactly what you want, that''s what you should go for. You have a great eye for design, and I think you know in your heart if something is not it.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/25/2009 1:26:05 PM
Author: TravelingGal
AJ, I haven''t read anything past the initial post question, but I voted Jeff White. If you''re in a position to get exactly what you want, that''s what you should go for. You have a great eye for design, and I think you know in your heart if something is not it.
I think TL summed it up nicely. No since in standing on the fence about something when you know you may possibly kick yourself for not setting out for the size/color/shape that you want......and are able to afford!! I like the elongated shape of the JW green tourmaline......but I have a good feeling that it won''t sparkle as much as the first JW blue cushion sapphire. Like Chrono said, I would ask Jeff to put his expert opinion on what cut is going to make the color/stone pop the most.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 1:21:13 PM
Date: 9/25/2009 10:07:14 AM

Date: 9/25/2009 9:59:18 AM

I think given the fact that you started this poll speaks volumes.

I adore Gary''s cutting style, and that oval is simply gorgeous, but you''re looking for a stone with more impact, and +1mm will have a greater impact. Especially given the 3 stone design you''re envisioning.

I can''t wait to watch this project unfold for you AJ!

Cheers for your input Lauren,

I appreciate it.

Hon, do you mind to elaborate on what you meant by your first comment?

Sure, AJ! I just mean that you COULD have had that oval right NOW, but you''re wavering enough on it that you needed to ask PSers for their opinions. If it was REALLY what you wanted, you would have just bought it and posted the pictures when you got it.
2.gif

Big ditto to LTP.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't read through this thread and have come a bit late so you may already have made up your mind. For what it's worth:-

1. I would definitely go for the cc saphire from Gary. Not only are they highly sought after but one that has great clarity and a very distinct colour change is prized. Also, you get two looks for the price of one!
2. You can always find a blue sapphire.
3. If you do go for the cc sapphire, the one thing I wouldn't do is bezel set it. I would want light to enter that baby at every opportunity to maximise the colour change.
4. I would definitely suggest you get Gary's stone for a look. Some people fall in love with colour changers, while others don't like one of the colour ways. This is very important and so I would never buy one "sight unseen". If you can see it on approval, or be able to return if you don't like it, that would be an important consideration for me.

I understand your concern about size. However, if you save your gorgeous trap side design for another ring later, you could come up with a wonderful creation for Gary's beauty to make it appear bigger - diamond halo, large white sapphire sides etc etc

Good luck choosing.

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
AJ,

I dug around and found one of jeffs pics so that you can compare his pic to my IRL pics. Maybe this will give you insight into how much his pic will vary from what you will see. You already have plenty of my pics to compare to.

ETA- geez I just realised that this pic is only one off the one in my avatar! lol Maybe this full sized one will help.

Jeffs pic.jpg

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
and here is a new RL pic to compare

sm 1027.JPG

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/25/2009 3:17:27 PM
Author: Tropicmaster
and here is a new RL pic to compare
That''s a LOVELY sapphire!

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Hi Arj,
We have just started this project. Deposit has been sent. Jeff is in the process of coming up with his re-cut plan. I have been waiting many months for the right stone; that''s why I say " have patience". I think he said he is working on a 3-4 week wait time. The actual cutting only takes a few days once it''s your turn. Are you in a rush for a special occasion?
( BTW- didn''t you deal with Jon at GOG for your diamond?)
Have you come closer to making your decision?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, I would wait for when you can get the size you want. 5 years from now you won''t be thinking about the cost of the ring, but you will be kicking yourself if you got a ring that you weren''t completely happy with because it was too small.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for go with JW - although by that I would mean search for exactly what you want. If you are having doubts about the size of finewater stone you might always have doubts which would be a shame.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou all *very* much for your valuable insights and opinions.
I apologize I don't have time right now to get to each of you individually (it's the AFL Grand Final, lol), but I wanted to let you all know I've taken each post into consideration (and the votes!), and this thread has helped me confirm what was in my heart.

Soooo...Jeff White elongated cushion it is, woot!
I have already had a great chat with Jeff, he has just the right recut candidate for me.
From what he's described, the colour will be pretty much exactly what I'm after.
I get to choose and collaborate on the design (of course), and the size will come out where I wanted it too. Oh, and the price is under my max budget.
5.gif

It looks like fate intervened, as he had just the right stone ready to go - I'm not sure if I would have had the patience to wait many months, lol.

I will definitely be back to answer each of you, as you've all been so helpful and raised some very good points.

And just to clarify - if I had the extra $, I would've bought the Gary B stone too.
He has been wonderfully generous giving me days to think with the stone on hold, took extra new photos and dug up old ones for me.
This is indeed a rare stone at a *very* fair price - if colour changers were my "thing" I would've nabbed it, regardless of size.
Gary already has a new enquiry, and I sincerely hope it's a PS'er so we all get to admire it.
Gary is very helpful and a gentleman, I know I will work with him in the future based on the last week.
In the end, it was just the extra size and my "vision" for the ring that was the deciding factor.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooo I''m late to vote. Ah well, I was going to vote Jeff anyway so what the heck. I''m excited to see what your stone looks like AJ-I so love your projects!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Okay...thankyou everyone for giving your opinions and insights, they''ve really been helpful in making my decision, I appreciate it!

ltl - me too! Of course I promise a mountain of pics once its done.

Stone Hunter - good points. That''s def. part of what came into the decision - I really want to get this right the first time. It will be the most exxy gemstone I own by far (except my diamonds, of course).
5.gif

Chrono - ahhh..you''re so difficult to get a straight answer from, lol! Just j/king I know where you''re coming from. Jeff and I had a great chat - if you go by the
Cross sapphire chart my stone will apparently be between "camelot" and "prince of wales", with a hint of violet - pretty much exactly what I was after
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results