carat
color
clarity

Can you help me find a watch?

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Dancing Fire|1291790803|2790666 said:
diva rose|1291789898|2790654 said:
12 Audemars Piguets? wow :o That's one expensive collection!
DH also loves A Lange & Sohne and Patek Phillipe. I would like a 2C diamond ring upgrade with matching necklace, bracelet and earrings before he gets one of those. :naughty:

Audemars Piguet - Here is one that is a limited edition:
http://www.prestigetime.com/item/Audemars-Piguet/Royal-Oak-Carbon-Concept/26265fo.oo.d002cr.01.html

One battery change per year? That is ridiculous. I've had my cartier for 4 years now and no issues ever - nor have I had to ever change the battery. I say go Baume & Mercier - Abazia stocks them so ask them to order them for you. :)
will you buy me a #5002 for Xmas??... :appl:

PUahaha! This one is 1.3 million.
http://www.luxist.com/2009/02/18/1-3-million-patek-philippe-sky-moon-tourbillon-ref-5002p-watch/print/

Dreamer - I love the straps and the price is pretty good. That will give you extra 300 to put towards hubby's watch.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1291790638|2790662 said:
Dreamer_D|1291790310|2790659 said:
Most of the ones I have seen that are in my price range are Quartz movements, so they need a battary... neither automatic or manual I guess??

I think that Solomon may only carry the Baum watches that are discontinued?

What do you think of this one... I do like a deal ::)

Quartz is manual. I have one automatic watch and the other two quartz, and I love not having to worry about winding them up!!! If you don't wear an automatic for, lets say 30 days...you have to wind it 30 times so it holds its time (in my experience) and for whatever reason that annoys me, haha.

P.s. lovin that band on the watch!!
you meant 30 hrs,right??... :bigsmile: that's why you need one of these... ;))

azax.jpg

koi 074.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can someone tell me why a $1000 watch is better than a $400 watch, other than the name and maybe *knowing* it is a $1000 watch?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1291791277|2790671 said:
Most of the ones I have seen that are in my price range are Quartz movements, so they need a battary... neither automatic or manual I guess??

Quartz is manual. I have one automatic watch and the other two quartz, and I love not having to worry about winding them up!!! If you don't wear an automatic for, lets say 30 days...you have to wind it 30 times so it holds its time (in my experience) and for whatever reason that annoys me, haha.

None of my watches are THAT intricate hahahahahah!

I really meant 30 days! Before I knew anything about watches, I left my one automatic on my night stand untouched for 30 days. When I went to wear it one day, I wound (winded?) it maybe 5 times and next thing I knew, it wasn't holding time and I was POSITIVE something was wrong with the watch. That is, until SO told me you have to wind it a lot if its sitting around for that long untouched.

Dreamer, the movement of the watch plays a significant role in the higher end models but also the make of the watch.

The automatics tend to be more expensive, although my Michele is manual so I assume I just paid for the 'brand' of the name and the diamonds in it because I don't think its any better than a 500$ watch. Could be wrong. Anyone else?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Oh and above automatic watches are the big boys....google:

tourbillon (spelling??) movement in watches

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see how the movement matters, but surely there is a point of diminishing return, no? I mean, in terms of day to day function, do the bells and whistles matter that much?

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Watches are probably one of the very few material things that do represent the price you pay (in most cases).
It should be about the movements. The quality of the materials they use and the watch movements (inside parts).

Some people do use it as a status symbol but there are true watch lovers out there who do appreciate the actual movements and quality of watches. I think Dancing Fire and Autumn/my hubby are some of them. :)

It matters if you appreciate watches. If you don't, I don't think it does.

Added - Having stated above - you might not notice a difference between a $400 to a $1000 watch, but there is a huge difference between the quality of a $400 to a $5000 watch. The quality of materials used, the detailing on the watches - massive differences. It's like comparing a diamond to crystals.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And are most of the brands we have dicussed here so far considered good quality in terms of the movement? Not the million dollar ones of course, the ones within my price range.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1291791697|2790677 said:

I really meant 30 days! Before I knew anything about watches, I left my one automatic on my night stand untouched for 30 days. When I went to wear it one day, I wound (winded?) it maybe 5 times and next thing I knew, it wasn't holding time and I was POSITIVE something was wrong with the watch. That is, until SO told me you have to wind it a lot if its sitting around for that long untouched.

Dreamer, the movement of the watch plays a significant role in the higher end models but also the make of the watch.

The automatics tend to be more expensive, although my Michele is manual so I assume I just paid for the 'brand' of the name and the diamonds in it because I don't think its any better than a 500$ watch. Could be wrong. Anyone else?
AN...FYI,an automatic watch can't hold 30 days of power reserve... :bigsmile:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1291792679|2790685 said:
Autumnovember|1291791697|2790677 said:

AN...FYI,no automatic watch that can hold 30 day power reserve... :bigsmile:

Yes, I know. However, interestingly enough after having a watch sit out for 3 days or so without being touched, I don't have to wind it as much to get it to keep its time well. Explain, please.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1291792662|2790684 said:
And are most of the brands we have dicussed here so far considered good quality in terms of the movement? Not the million dollar ones of course, the ones within my price range.

I don't mind manual watches at all, some might...all depends on who you're asking. I think the watches you're interested in are great for your price range, Dreamer! I'm more into the way the watch looks than the intricacies that mr. fiance is into...he'd :nono: at me for saying that but who cares! If you like it, get it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1291791938|2790678 said:

as far as i know... all "TOURBILLON" watches are manual wind.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1291793814|2790694 said:
Autumnovember|1291791938|2790678 said:

as far as know... all "TOURBILLON" watches are manually wind.

I was more so pointing out price differentials, DF. She asked why some watches are more expensive than others. Tourbillons (again sp?) can be some of the pricest watches because of their intricacy and abilities.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
It has an old school feel to it hey? I had to look at it twice. I think it's very pretty. :)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
diva rose|1291794579|2790707 said:
It has an old school feel to it hey? I had to look at it twice. I think it's very pretty. :)

It reminds me of an IWC watch, I love those watches!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1291792021|2790679 said:
I see how the movement matters, but surely there is a point of diminishing return, no? I mean, in terms of day to day function, do the bells and whistles matter that much?
Dreamer...
think of it this way...a fair/fair stone VS a top cut ideal/ideal H&A stone...detail,detail,and more detailed finish... ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1291794850|2790712 said:
Dreamer_D|1291792021|2790679 said:
Dreamer...
think of it this way...a fair/fair stone VS a top cut ideal/ideal H&A stone...detail,detail,and more detailed finish... ;))

That's what SO would say. Just like with diamonds, some people really like a warmer toned diamonds while others like icy white. Its fine either way. For people like SO, he perceives it the way DF does and thats fine too. Me on the other hand, I dont have thousands upon thousands of dollars to spend on watches, so if I like what I see and it is decent quality...I buy. It doesn't have to be an outrageous price.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1291794925|2790713 said:
Autumnovember|1291794237|2790702 said:
diva rose|1291794152|2790700 said:
These two don't have metal bands but they are nice in the face. Also from Tissot.
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/jewelry_127101

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/jewelry_103113

Good luck Dreamer! Hope you find the watches you like! :)

Really liking that second one!!

I also love that second one, it is delicious. Dh would love it 8)

The second one reminds me of this watch which is probably why I really really like it:

http://www.jomashop.com/iwc-3714-17.html

I :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
But color and clarity are rarity factors only and do not affect the optics of the stone. DF, you are talking about variation in cut in your watch analogy, when I wonder if you are actually talking about variations in color when you compare some of these watches, or branded vs. unbranded diamonds etc. How much is NAME and personal preference and how much is actually meaningful.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, I love my Tag. It's a women's Link with diamond markers, Mother of Pearl face, retailed for something like $2150? I'd sell you mine for $1k in a heartbeat if we could do that here. Tag markets their stainless as cut from one block of steel, the diamond markers (if you choose them) are graded and come with an appraisal certificate... really good watch that is water resistant to 150 meters which is nice if you're bathing kids or going diving (casually). I don't know what PS vendors carry Tag...but it's a pretty good watch if you want something for everyday that looks beautiful and will go well with your wedding/e-ring/other diamond jewelry. Best of luck to you!

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
I love IWC especially the Portuguese! :D

Dreamer - I think that one is really nice and reasonable in price. You can always get the strap changed later.

I love watches however for myself I only use one and that's it. I would rather get something else for myself like earrings etc. On my DH though - I love watches on him. Lots and lots of different ones. :)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1291795329|2790720 said:
But color and clarity are rarity factors only and do not affect the optics of the stone. DF, you are talking about variation in cut in your watch analogy, when I wonder if you are actually talking about variations in color when you compare some of these watches, or branded vs. unbranded diamonds etc. How much is NAME and personal preference and how much is actually meaningful.

Such a good question dreamer, I'm gonna ask SO this tomorrow and see what he says.

Personally, I think in some aspects it IS meaningful and in others it isn't. Movement matters for the people who are really into watches. SO used to have rolex's but isn't into them anymore because he decided it is a "me too watch", hence him buying only limited pieces now. I can counter that though and say when he buys his limited pieces from Audemar's, he isn't only paying for a top notch quality watch but also for the name. Am I making sense?

OoO! Portugese?! I've never seen, I don't think?!

SO has the IWC father and son pilot watch, he's been trying to convince me to wear the son watch but I feel like its too manly:

http://www.luxois.com/watches/iwc/pilots-watches-classic/pilots-watches-for-father-and-son/iw325512

Diva, watches do look sexy on men :)

(sorry for the threadjack)

Dreamer, do you think he will be into that second watch you like? Or is he more into sportier watches? I personally think that watch would look great on anyone.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1291789736|2790653 said:
[quote="Imdanny|1291789404|

Yes, but what do they start at? :errrr:[/quote]

maybe like 5K for S/S models??[/quote]

DF, you're probably right but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 8k. Watches have become so expensive since the mid 80's when I became interested in them. My Rolex is triple the price I bought it for in 1990. The JLC MUT I had sells for double the price I bought it for in 2001. BTW, if you feel like it sometime I'd like to see a thread with pictures of your Lange. Cheers.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1291795329|2790720 said:

I think DF has a point. Movement finish is a huge (huge) issue among connoisseurs of watch movements and the ability of a manufacture to make a high quality watch movement represents a rare skill. Mechanical watches used to be judged a lot more on their ability to keep time but after quartz hit in the '70's no mechanical watch can compete in that department. Also, a "name" doesn't mean much in watches because people who are into watches tend to know what they're buying and why- if they happen to be made by and branded "Jaeger LeCoulre" for instance people don't buy them for the name. That might be the case for "designer" watches (I don't know) but for high end watches there's less of people buying them the way some people might buy Tiffany & Co because of the name. There is a huge factor of marketing, though. There's been an explosion of marketing along with the rise of the internet. It's true that some people do seem to be kind of transfixed with buying the "limited editions" of companies like AP. So I think you have a point as well. I can't say I believe that everyone who buys a high end watch isn't doing it to be fashionable. There's a lot of that these days.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1291788963|2790646 said:
VRBeauty|1291788487|2790640 said:
I've had a Raymond Weil watch for about 15 years now. I love the styling, but not the maintenance. It had to go back to one of their service centers for battery replacement (about 1X per year) and it's had to have at least two major servicings during the time I've had it. The last time it went to RW for servicing they told me it would need a new movement at a cost about equal to what I paid for the watch in the first place... so I took it to a local watch repair guy who swapped out the RW movement for a new, generic movement. On the other hand, I also have a vintage Hamilton (wind-up) that has lasted for 40-50 years with no apparent problem, and a quartz Baume et Mercier, 14k case and bracelet, that's probably 30 years old and still runs like a champ.

ETA the RW you just posted is a beauty though...

Well that is not reassuring. If I spent that amount I would really want something easy to maintain. Maybe I am not a high-end watch type of gal ;))

LOL. The more high-end the watch the more $$$ to maintain it. That's why I gave up the hobby. My JLC had to be sent to JLC (in the US) every 4-5 years and get this- they didn't have a price schedule for a routine service (actually it's disassembling the movement and putting it back together). They would let you know what they found when they took it apart and depending on what needed to be replaced they would let you know how much they were going to charge you after you had sent them the watch. At that point I was like no thank you. And I was really into watches. I have a Rolex, I had the JLC, and I had a vintage IWC. But it was going to be in the neighborhood of $650 to service my JLC. I decided I didn't want that kind of high maintenance and I sold it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results