carat
color
clarity

Can you help me find a watch?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diva rose|1291793372|2790692 said:
I heard about all the brands except Hamilton. Never head of it.
Maybe they don't stock them in Australia?

Hamilton was one of the first U.S. manufacturers of precision watches, and later developed many watch styles that are considered iconic and collectable today. The company has been sold though, and recently-made watches carrying the Hamilton name are made by Swatch.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1291797401|2790737 said:
LOL. The more high-end the watch the more $$$ to maintain it. That's why I gave up the hobby. My JLC had to be sent to JLC (in the US) every 4-5 years and get this- they didn't have a price schedule for a routine service (actually it's disassembling the movement and putting it back together). They would let you know what they found when they took it apart and depending on what needed to be replaced they would let you know how much they were going to charge you after you had sent them the watch. At that point I was like no thank you. And I was really into watches. I have a Rolex, I had the JLC, and I had a vintage IWC. But it was going to be in the neighborhood of $650 to service my JLC. I decided I didn't want that kind of high maintenance and I sold it.

That was pretty much the drill with the RW too... they have two U.S. service centers. I'd bring my watch in to a local jeweler that carries RW, they'd send it to one of the service centers, and then I'd end up communicating with the service center through the jeweler. Not very satisfactory when they're suggesting $650 worth of repairs! So if you do go end up considering one of the higher-end lines, ask what's involved with the maintenance.

(BTW my vintage LC (not JLC) has been absolutely trouble-free!)

I seem to recall that one of the other gift recipients got one of the Citizen solar powered eco-line watches with her gift.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1291791386|2790673 said:
Can someone tell me why a $1000 watch is better than a $400 watch, other than the name and maybe *knowing* it is a $1000 watch?

To be honest IMO no a $1000 watch is not better than a good $400 watch. It's going to have basically the same movement quality if not the same movement. $1000 is considered a mid-level price point and buyer beware. It's a huge section of the market with many choices most of them not worth the money.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1291798832|2790743 said:
So if you do go end up considering one of the higher-end lines, ask what's involved with the maintenance.

Great advice!

I was so into watches and so happy to get what I wanted that I really didn't think about the financial implications 4-5 years down the road. At 5 years I knew it needed to be serviced too. It was manual winding and the winding got rough, there was a lot of resistance and it lost the smooth, quiet way it used to be. It's like being between a rock and a hard place at that point, because if you don't have it serviced the oils will continue to deteriorate and the mechanics become more and more damaged.

BTW, now that I don't spend money on watches, my favorite watch is a very basic Casio that keeps perfect time and costs $12. :bigsmile:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1291805476|2790773 said:
Can someone tell me why a $1000 watch is better than a $400 watch, other than the name and maybe *knowing* it is a $1000 watch?

To be honest IMO no a $1000 watch is not better than a good $400 watch. It's going to have basically the same movement quality if not the same movement. $1000 is considered a mid-level price point and buyer beware. It's a huge section of the market with many choices most of them not worth the money.

Ditto.

Dreamer, I collect vintage watches, and I'm a member of several watch fora. I prefer mechanical watches over quartz, and I own/have owned vintage JLC, Hamilton, Ernest Borel and Bulova watches. But my everyday quartz watch is a Raymond Weil sport watch (Tango) that has given me no trouble whatsoever.

My advice is, for your first watch, choose a style you like in the $500 range (if quartz) from these tried and true brands that cater to the mid-level watch market, and have been making watches for decades -- Tissot, Bulova, Citizen, Seiko, Baume & Mercier, and, yes, even Timex. They all make nicely styled quartz watches. Don't spend more than $500 on a quartz watch!

If you're looking for an automatic, you can find some nice ones from Tissot and Oris in the $1,000 to $1500 range. Oris is a great brand, often overlooked, and it's a well-respected brand in the watch nut world. And consider Hamilton as well. Hamilton is one of the best American made brands, and has been for decades.

If you're looking into the higher end brands like Tag Heuer and Rolex and JLC, etc., do your research! These days, most luxury watch companies are sourcing their parts/movements from Japan. So you *think* you are paying for and getting a Swiss-made timepiece, but you're not; you're paying for branding and image and snob appeal.

ETA: In fact, most of the watch brands most coveted over on the watch fora are brands most of us have never heard of because they don't put their reputations on fashion and snob appeal.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked pearlmans for watches? I'm sure they have a few nice ones in their preowned section that are a fraction of the price, and they'd also carry higher end ones too.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/search.php?keywords=ladies%20watch&Category=56&page=1

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/watches/022PO7/0/

ETA: I bet GOG carries nice watches too. They probably don't have the new ones listed, but here are some estate ones listed.
http://shop.goodoldgold.com/index.cfm/keyword/watch/a/catalog.search/PgStart/1?pGsTART=1&PagerSortBy=Original&PagerMaxItems=36

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, great suggestions! I am going to take Lula's advice and stick to under $500 for a quartz watch from one of the brands she mentioned -- all of them are carried by Solomon Bros. I am just NOT into maintenance, and the thing that Danny mentioned about the $1000 price point being entry level for higher end and not a good value is something I read elsewhere too and makes a lot of sense to me.

I also like the idea of vintage and had looked at Pearlman's but don't know what to look for. Lula and others who are into vintage watches, is there anything here that strikes you? http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/estate-jewelry/watches/55EB7/8/

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And what do you think of this watch? A little trendy but I really like how unique it is!

10_0902_a_03.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula|1291820155|2790918 said:

My advice is, for your first watch, choose a style you like in the $500 range (if quartz) from these tried and true brands that cater to the mid-level watch market, and have been making watches for decades -- Tissot, Bulova, Citizen, Seiko, Baume & Mercier, and, yes, even Timex. They all make nicely styled quartz watches. Don't spend more than $500 on a quartz watch!

ETA: In fact, most of the watch brands most coveted over on the watch fora are brands most of us have never heard of because they don't put their reputations on fashion and snob appeal.
i was gonna say $200... :bigsmile:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1291829303|2791065 said:
And what do you think of this watch? A little trendy but I really like how unique it is!

I like that Tissot a lot. It's got a nicely designed face. It's fashionable but not too trendy (Michael Kors brand watches are trendy!). And changing the band, when you tire of the white and/or it wears out, gives you lots of options.

Pearlman's has great prices on their vintage watches. But, as others have mentioned, the care and feeding of a vintage watch does not come cheap. For example, expect to spend a few hundred dollars -- minimum -- cleaning and oiling a vintage watch and paying for any *minor* repairs. More extensive overhauls can cost $$$$.

I've eyeballed this http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/estate-jewelry/watches/42EB7/16/ watch on Pearlman's site for a while. It's 18kt. gold, in working condition, and not too small (many vintage women's watches are tiny). Excellent value for the money; a classic that will need to be wound by hand regularly (unless you buy one of those fancy DF-recommended watch winders!) and that will also need periodic cleaning and oiling to keep the mechanism in good shape. A watch like that will last a lifetime and beyond, but it's a commitment.

My advice is that you start with a quartz and buy something you find attractive; wear it, enjoy it, and then, if you decide you like wearing a watch and want a vintage mechanical watch, consider buying a dress watch -- they are very inexpensive -- considering that many of them are 14 and 18 kt. gold and platinum, set with diamonds and/or semi-precious stones, and there are lots of them (check out the Pearlman's site, on JBEG, ebay, and sites like Wannabuyawatch.com).

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1291829717|2791073 said:

True, DF, but the ladies like a little more fancy styling with their quartz battery -- the battery probably costs about 12 bucks, or whatever ImDanny paid for his Casio :cheeky: :bigsmile:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1291793814|2790694 said:
Autumnovember|1291791938|2790678 said:
Oh and above automatic watches are the big boys....google:

tourbillon (spelling??) movement in watches
as far as i know... all "TOURBILLON" watches are manual wind.

By the way, just asked SO...they're automatic...

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

I like it, Dreamer. Mainly because it has the white straps and because of the color contrast between the straps and the bezel, ANNNNND its chronograph =]

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lula Vintage is out, I am just not a manitenance kind of gal. How is Swiss Army as a brand?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Swiss Army is a great brand. I bought my husband one about 10 years ago; he liked it because it was classic and basic. But unless they've changed their styling, their look is definitely more sporty-casual. The Tissot is definitely more fashionable and dressy. So I guess it depends what your individual style is; are you a jeans and polar fleece, outdoorsy person (Swiss Army) or do you need something to wear to work and going out?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha I am not a polar fleece type at all ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1291830967|2791093 said:

I like it, Dreamer. Mainly because it has the white straps and because of the color contrast between the straps and the bezel, ANNNNND its chronograph =]

I had to look up chronograph.. not sure how much timing I will be doing with my watch :cheeky:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I should add the version I am thinking of does not have the diamond bezel in this styel it is too pricey like that.

Do you all think diamonds on the watch are worth the money? It really amps up the price. Are the diamonds on the bezel well set or does it increase maintenance?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

For the longest time (no pun intended) Pearlman's had a Concord watch posted on their greal deals link--tank, 14K yellow gold and black straps...but I see it is gone. I might inquire whether they (still) have other old stock on these excellent time pieces. It was very well priced...

I am not a big fan of the chronograph style for everyday, but that is just my preference.

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1291830879|2791091 said:

come to think of it,he's correct.some are auto and some are manual wind. anyhow,all tourbillion watches are out of my price range... :bigsmile:

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
DD - I like this watch but to me it is very trendy and not really timeless. Everyone I know has a white watch with a large face right now. They are not all Tissot and most have crystals instead of diamonds, but this style is extremely popular right now and I think it will look dated in a year or two. If you are looking for a classic watch to wear for a long time I would look elsewhere to be honest.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Just in case you would still consider a Michele watch, Blue Nile carries them and I think they're a PS vendor (aren't they? Maybe I'm wrong!) I just sold my diamond Deco watch and my diamond CSX watch. It's not because they're aren't gorgeous and they kept great time; it's just that I got another watch for our anniversary and I want to wear it exclusively. Anyway, I got tons of compliments on my Michele watches, and one of the fun things is to change out the bands. I know you said you don't want a "belt" style of band but I purchased both of my Micheles with the stainless bands and then purchased extra leather and crocodile bands to wear, too.

You can also see them on the Michele site, of course, and www.gorsuch.com (and other places too).

Just thought I'd throw that out, in case it might interest you. :)

Lula

Ideal_Rock
NovemberBride|1291836259|2791193 said:
DD - I like this watch but to me it is very trendy and not really timeless. Everyone I know has a white watch with a large face right now. They are not all Tissot and most have crystals instead of diamonds, but this style is extremely popular right now and I think it will look dated in a year or two. If you are looking for a classic watch to wear for a long time I would look elsewhere to be honest.

I agree with NB. Watches with white faces/bands have been popular for a few years, ever since Cindy McCain wore the Chanel white ceramic watch to the RNC (how do I know this? I'm a watch nut :) )

If you want something that will look good with both casual and business clothes, and that won't scream "2010" get a stainless steel watch, medium-size white face (approx 25 mm) with either a leather or bracelet band. No diamonds. Round, rectangular (tank) or octagonal.

I did a search on Solomon Brothers (don't know if it will maintain my search terms in the link, but here goes...)
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/jewelry.aspx?query=watches&cookieCheck=true#VVVz3s3a
I searched for stainless steel, stainless steel band, ladies, under $800.

There are several nice Tissots under $400 -- and I also like the T-wave (maybe you mentioned that Tissot style before). I also like the slightly more expensive Maurice LaCroix (square face). These watches are classic and won't look dated.

ETA: Nope, it didn't save my search terms. It's the 91548-1S tainless Steel Ladies Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques Watch with Octagon White Dial (if you want square/octagonal).

And here's a nice Swiss Army watch with a MOP face and a deployment buckle (that won't require polar fleece ;)) http://www.solomonbrothers.com/jewelry.aspx?query=watches&cookieCheck=true#OT42Yf8a
55639 Stainless Steel Ladies Swiss Army Small Alliance Watch with Rectangle Mother Of Pearl Dial $450

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1291829717|2791073 said:

Have we had this discussion before? LOL! I would never buy one but I kind of like the Rolex Oysterquartz. I know you don't like quartz watches. Here's website that will entertain if not horrify you. :bigsmile:

http://www.oysterquartz.net/prices.htm

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1291834887|2791164 said:
Autumnovember|1291830879|2791091 said:

come to think of it,he's correct.some are auto and some are manual wind. anyhow,all tourbillion watches are out of my price range... :bigsmile:

If your buying a tourbillion to begin with its silly to even consider buying it in manual...haha, and yeah those watches are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :errrr:

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
dreamer, i know next to nothing about watches (i wear a seiko w/a stainless steel band that i won during a christmas contest through a job i had 10 years ago. all i know, is i must have picked a decent one b/c it's still in style, runs great, i've replaced the battery 2 times in 10 years, & no scratches on the crystal.) but i wanted to say how sweet of you to split your PS gift with your hubby!! and good luck on your search, can't wait to see what you choose.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
NovemberBride|1291836259|2791193 said:

I agree.

I went a tried on some watches today and now have a much better idea of what I want.

And I did not know Blue Nile has watches!! That is super awesome as they have many brands that are not carried elsewhere. Off to look...

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dreamer,

What a brilliant idea.. a watch! My first was a Tag, which I loved, adored and highly recommend- it had a sturdy, athletic, very real and down to business look - could shower in it, swim, dive, and it always looked great. Sadly I lost it, but it got me started on a life time passion to rival diamonds. The Tag was a gift to myself when I transitioned to a new job, but it marked a life changing moment I never regretted, and it always reminded me to believe in myself and give a small reward ( even if no one else did!). I guess watches became very symbolic of life time markers.

Let me just say, there is a certain satisfaction about a wonderful watch which is highly addicting. Going into meetings, business and with friends, a watch you love is a piece that gives loads of pleasure every single minute of the day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results