shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you help me find a watch?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And now I am having second thoughts :Up_to_something:

Been drooling over the Ebel Beluga with diamond markers and mother of pearl face. Comes in two sizes, a 34mm dial and a 27mm dial, not sure which would be better. DH likes this one the best. I am totally smitten with its curves.

Which one do you all like better? The RW or the Ebel? Is one a better brand?

ebealgrandbelugadd.jpg

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I like the RW one better looks and brand wise butttttttt they're both nice. I don't think you could go wrong either way, Dreamer!

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
RW is more bling, Ebel is more subtle. I like both.
How much is Ebel? Is it a lot cheaper? Then go with that one so you can buy your hubby the nice Tissot watch. :)

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1291805476|2790773 said:
Dreamer_D|1291791386|2790673 said:
Can someone tell me why a $1000 watch is better than a $400 watch, other than the name and maybe *knowing* it is a $1000 watch?

To be honest IMO no a $1000 watch is not better than a good $400 watch. It's going to have basically the same movement quality if not the same movement. $1000 is considered a mid-level price point and buyer beware. It's a huge section of the market with many choices most of them not worth the money.

I know I'm late to the party, but . . . this.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diva rose|1291959633|2792916 said:
RW is more bling, Ebel is more subtle. I like both.
How much is Ebel? Is it a lot cheaper? Then go with that one so you can buy your hubby the nice Tissot watch. :)

The Ebel is more! Is it $1200. Hmm makes me think not such a good deal, though I like the look.

The Weil is basically a $750 watch with bling on the bezel, making it $950. I do also like the plain bezel version a lot, it is $750.
The Ebel is a $1200 without any bling on the bezel.

So given the information that LAJenn just bumped, makes me think the Ebel is more money for the name internal workings most likely. Though the esthetics are what get me -- the smoothness of the metal and sleekness. I could not find a comparable esthetic in a less costly watch.

I also wonder if the diamonds on the bezel are ok for daily wear... comments?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I would go with whichever would look the best on your wrist. I wouldn't worry too much about perceived value - because it is your ps gift (free money). Even if you have to add $200 of your own money - surely that Ebel is worth $200, right?

And if you go with the RW - I would go with the diamonds on the bezel (can't comment about daily wear of diamonds on the bezel - but I would imagine they would be sturdy enough).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some RL photos of the RW.

dongiovanniRWdd.jpg

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Ebel - you can wear it dressy of casual

RW - with the diamonds - it really is a dressy watch

RW without diamonds - dressy and casual - it still has the diamonds on the face right?

If you like all the watches about the same, I'd go RW without diamonds bezel and get the Tissot watch for hubby.
Think about it, RW without diamond bezal is $750 , Tissot male watch is around 500, so you pay extra $200 for both the watches.
Ebel you only get one watch but have to pay the extra $200.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not sure I like the RW without diamonds, it looks to "masculine" for me.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
diva rose|1291962951|2792961 said:
If you like all the watches about the same, I'd go RW without diamonds bezel and get the Tissot watch for hubby.
Think about it, RW without diamond bezal is $750 , Tissot male watch is around 500, so you pay extra $200 for both the watches.
Ebel you only get one watch but have to pay the extra $200.

this is what i was going to say to. but since you said you don't like that one as well...

i really like all of your options equally but i kinda am digging the ebel w/the larger size face. oh no, the RW w/the diamond bezel. no, the ebel. the ebel, yes, that one :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

you can't go wrong here. i think you'll be happy w/either & will get years of enjoyment & wear out of them. can't wait to see the final decision!!

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1291963274|2792966 said:
I am not sure I like the RW without diamonds, it looks to "masculine" for me.

is there one without the diamonds on the bezel but on the face only?

if it looks masculine - pass :)

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Ebel has a very distinctive look. Their styling is unique and recognizable -- and you pay extra for that. I would say the quality of their cases/bands is on par with Raymond Weil. And, again, with quartz watches, your money is not going toward the mechanism, it's going toward brand name, styling, and, case components (diamonds, MOP face, etc.).

I do think that RW's styling is generally more tailored and unisex, and the Ebel's styling is more feminine. I agree that you should choose the one that is more flattering on your wrist. Diamonds on a watch do make it more dressy, imo.

If you like the Ebel, see if any of the vendors can bring the price down a little bit. And ask them what kind of pricing they can give you if you buy two watches -- you could get your DH a Swiss Army or Tissot, and an Ebel or RW for yourself.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Dreamer, I've had my watch now for 7-8 years and I don't baby it (and I have a diamond bezel), and my DH is hard on his RW and they both look great. There are some light scratchs on the bottom of our metal bands (I think of it as patena, like what happens to platinum) but I will say with the Ebel, all of that smooth metal is going to show more scratches than the brushed metal of the RW.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
DD,

Quality-wise I think they are going to be the same. I also wouldn't worry about the diamonds on the bezel, I think they are pretty sturdy. At this point I think it is purely a matter of your taste. I personally prefer the RW, but I generally prefer tank style watches over round face watches. These watches aren't going anywhere, so if you aren't sure, take a few days to think about it. BN also has a great return policy, so you could order one or both and try them on at home.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I've had my Beluga for years and years--works perfectly. My sister also has one and finds it to be a great time piece--she bought hers b/c of the "success" I had with mine (and it looks great). MY DH has an older model RW and altho he doesn't wear it anymore, he found when he did, it was very reliable.

cheers--Sharon

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I like the RW better than the Ebel. I was going to make a suggestion, but I won't since you are already down to two contenders and the one that I was going to suggest is probably too masculine looking for u.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the RW is masculine, it's in a Katharyn Hepburn, classically-stylish-but- un-frilly-feminine kind of way. Which is to say, not very, but... put on a M to F continuum, it would be slightly more to the "M" side than the "F" side than the Ebel. Of course you could substitute "unconventional" and "conventional" for the M an F and end up in pretty much the same place...

There, that's my half-cent's worth!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK so I went to the mall and tried on a whole bunch of different styles. One style I really liked was a barrel shaped dial but very petite proportions, only 18mm, with diamonds and mother of pearl on the face. Another I liked was a round face stainless watch with mother of pearl face and diamond markers 27mm.

The watches I tried are in the red square on the left in the red square in the image below. The Neither is one I want to buy because the first is quite cheapy and the second is Gucci and not carried by PS vendors. These are of course very similar to the RW and the Ebel I have been considering. So I am on the right track. I looked through the inventories for other likely candidates and found the additional ones pictured.

For the barrel/tank variety, my reservation about the RW Don Giovanni is that it is 4mm wider than the watch I tried and I am concerned that the proportions will not be as delicale and to my liking -- I cannot try it in person. I actually think the Concord la Scala mini is the closest match to the lines of the sample tank, and I really love the curves. But it is not a mother of pearl face, it is guilloche ivory (??), and so I am not sure I will like the look as much. The Sportivo is the same proportions as the same watch I liked but more square and thus less to my liking.

It turns out I prefer the 27mm diameter over a larger face, but on BlueNile they do not have the Ebel with the white face in the 27mm size and cannot order it -- they are not an authorized dealer which is why they can offer the watches for such a low price. The pink is pretty but I think it will get old. I did find a few others that look very much like the Gucci I likes, in particular the Movado Metio, which has a mother of pearl face, diamond markers and diamonds on the ebzel in and interesting pattern. It is 2mm less in diameter but I think overall a good match. The RW freelancer is perhaps the best match and it is the lowest price at $810.

Any preferences?

ddwatchoptions.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some additional shots of the movado metio.

movadometiodd.png

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1291959852|2792922 said:

I just wanted to chime in and say that I wear a watch with diamonds on the bezel every day. I have not had any problems with damage, and I don't think the look is too dressy.

Happy shopping!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And here is the Don Givanni again, with and without diamonds.

I think it is between one of these two, the RW freelancer, and the Movado metio. With a slight preference for the diamond bezel ones ;))

dongiovanniwithwithoutdd.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
KittyGolightly|1292027686|2793825 said:
Dreamer_D|1291959852|2792922 said:

I just wanted to chime in and say that I wear a watch with diamonds on the bezel every day. I have not had any problems with damage, and I don't think the look is too dressy.

Happy shopping!

Thanks Kitty! I think you are right that the diamonds are not too much for everyday.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a Tiffany tank watch that looks a lot like the RW (w/o diamonds) .... have had it for THIRTEEN years now, serviced/polished it once ($200ish) and still LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Its a very classic style .. defies trends ... the perfect kind of "nice" watch.

HOWEVER: I also like the Ebel. Its totally different, so I'd say pick the one that feels more "you". Before I picked my Tiffany tank -- I was always attracted to curvy Tags so maybe that's not much help. They BOTH seemed like "me".

Also have a thing for JLC Reversos. (Can't afford!) And recently picked up a big menswear style sporty gunmetalish/black ceramic chronograph of a totally fraudulent nature in Turkey, land of knockoffs. That one is an "Omega". But not such a good fake because its a style that doesn't exist in real life. :tongue:

Which style FELT better on?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that Solomon RW that you originally posted still in the running? I think that's a beautiful, classy watch.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1291788322|2790639 said:
diva rose|1291786982|2790619 said:
your partner for around 1k and a bit over perhaps depending on style you select. :)

What do you think of the Noemia?
http://www.raymond-weil.com/EN/Watches/Noemia.html

I love it, though not the pave face perhaps, just the diamonds on the inner face. I think if I spoil just me I would opt for that one. This is the one that has really caught my eye and Solomon carries it: http://www.raymond-weil.com/EN/Watches/Noemia.html#Noemia-5927-SPS-00995

Do you mean this one, the Noemia? I think it also is a good option for sure, as it is a lot like the Ebel and is 27mm. It does not have as many diamonds on the face, my only complaint I guess.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, drumroll please, it is time for Dreamer's patented paper cut outs!

Top is 27mm and bottom is 34mm. Any preference? And please note the nice bling too 8) I want a watch to compliment my set and my figure.

ddsizesomparewatches.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KittyGolightly|1292052584|2794093 said:
Oh, I really like the last one you posted! http://www.raymond-weil.com/EN/Watches/Noemia.html#Noemia-5927-SPS-00995

My personal preference is for a smaller watch (mine is only 22 mm). I feel it's easier to transition from day to evening with the smaller diameter. 34 mm looks more sporty/weekend to me.

Ffffph. Get a Tag and be done wth it. I hate the Ebels, RW's, etc. I'm a Tag snob!!! Love you though, get whatever you want. Just dont' let a bracelet overwhelm your lovely arm. Get something skinny that you can wear forever.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1292051862|2794087 said:
OK, drumroll please, it is time for Dreamer's patented paper cut outs!

Top is 27mm and bottom is 34mm. Any preference? And please note the nice bling too 8) I want a watch to compliment my set and my figure.

This!!!!!!!!!

You made my day! How creative!!!

I usually like bigger watches but I think the 27 mm looks JUST right on your wrist.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I'm shopping for a watch too and came across your thread - how timely! I like a lot of the same styles as you. Just wondering what you decided to get and how you like it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results