shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you help me compare these two antique cushions??? ERD and GOG

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Hey,
Right now I am looking at an ERD Antique Cushion vs a GOG August Vintage..

The GOG is here:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7091/

1.51, SI1... it is running around $1000 more than the ERD one...

All I have for the ERD right now is a cert and a picture, but it looks pretty promising...
Can you guys give me thoughts I think I am pretty narrowed down at the moment to these two..

img272.jpg

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Here is a pic of the ERD

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Sorry reposting with the actual image, I should get an ASSET sometime soon.

Outlook256.jpg

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
For some reason, the diamond in the photo looks squarer than the one one the certificate. Maybe I'm just imagining it. I really like the GOG one, though!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 4:17:40 PM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
For some reason, the diamond in the photo looks squarer than the one one the certificate. Maybe I''m just imagining it. I really like the GOG one, though!
The certs all use the same shaped outline, it is not matched to the exact diamond.

I prefer the AVC, but I have a soft spot for those stones.

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
I''m having the ERD one sent so I can check it out in person...
Its kinda hard to pass up $1000 less for a .2c bigger stone.

I did notice that it looked a little squarer than the dimensions(not a bad thing)

Since the dimensions are 7.25x6.88 seems like it would be a bit elongated...

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 7:17:03 PM
Author: ccb0x45
I''m having the ERD one sent so I can check it out in person...
Its kinda hard to pass up $1000 less for a .2c bigger stone.

I did notice that it looked a little squarer than the dimensions(not a bad thing)

Since the dimensions are 7.25x6.88 seems like it would be a bit elongated...
Are you going to see the AVC as well? Did you get that ASET image?
Both stones have the same LW ratio 1.05 so don''t be confused by photographs or inclusion plot diagrams that are not supposed to represent dimensions accurately.

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
The AVC they are sending me a video comparison of it with a few others, but they arent going to show it to me in person. He says hes just not that fond of ASSETs, and since he offered to let me see it in person, I do trust checking out the stone in person above the ASSET image, so I am kinda just waiting for the video and waiting for the stone to arrive so I can check it out. Its a pretty close call and hard decision on these stones...

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 5:13:38 PM
Author: dreamer_d

Date: 5/13/2010 4:17:40 PM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
For some reason, the diamond in the photo looks squarer than the one one the certificate. Maybe I'm just imagining it. I really like the GOG one, though!
The certs all use the same shaped outline, it is not matched to the exact diamond.

I prefer the AVC, but I have a soft spot for those stones.
Oh, didn't know that since I have only ever bought rounds or squares! Actually, I once bought an EC but I guess the cert outline looked just like the stone!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 8:07:36 PM
The AVC they are sending me a video comparison of it with a few others, but they arent going to show it to me in person. He says hes just not that fond of ASSETs, and since he offered to let me see it in person, I do trust checking out the stone in person above the ASSET image, so I am kinda just waiting for the video and waiting for the stone to arrive so I can check it out. Its a pretty close call and hard decision on these stones...
Of course not that would highlight the comparatively weaker light return of what he is trying to sell you, and give you a reliable means for comparison.

If you won't be able see how much better the light return is on an AVC in person as well how will that be a valid comparison?
Are you looking for one beautiful stone or the most beautiful stone in that cutting style?

This video is a reasonable comparison of the differences between the products of the two cutting sources http://www.vimeo.com/8917587

Keep in mind as well the difference in size is not 0.2carats as the ERD stone is cut with almost ~2.5% more depth making the faceup size difference less than you would think based on the carat weights alone.

Don't let one vendor's comments dissuade you from making an informed decision.
The tradeoff is Superior Cut Versus Price and Small Size Increase

Regards,
CCL

SmallSparkle

Rough_Rock
You may also want to put that AVC on hold before someone else does!

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
True I understand what you are saying, I was judging the size difference more off the dimensions which is quite a bit different. I didnt feel like the guy was being dishonest but really doesn''t care about asset images, obviously its not a perfect comparison of a video vs in person, but sometimes they have good ASSET images and don''t look good in person, and sometimes they have less good ones and look great, so a video/in person viewing, seems to me to be the best I could do?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
strange, I thought ERD did provide ASET images?

also weren''t you looking at a 1.7 I AVC...it seems to not be there anymore...I guess someone bought it...

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 8:55:44 PM
True I understand what you are saying, I was judging the size difference more off the dimensions which is quite a bit different. I didnt feel like the guy was being dishonest but really doesn''t care about asset images, obviously its not a perfect comparison of a video vs in person, but sometimes they have good ASSET images and don''t look good in person, and sometimes they have less good ones and look great, so a video/in person viewing, seems to me to be the best I could do?
No the ASET doesn''t subjectively judge anything it tells us where the diamond is gathering its light.
It is particularly useful in judging the performance between two 8 main vintage cushions and in determining if there will be leakage or obstruction especially under the table.

That general statement is an excuse meant to take away your ability to make an accurate comparison, while it may be true in some rare instances comparing two stones in this cutting style it is quite effective in distinguishing between these two particular stones.

But based on the photograph already I can tell, the question really is can you live with some darkness(obstruction) or lack of intense return(leakage) under the table?
Do you want a bright uniform maltese cross or aren''t going to be that selective?

I have to be blunt because this vendor sometimes requires arm twisting to provide ASET images (they sometimes have trouble taking them) and therefore makes these kind of comments, although they have provided many customers with images in the past.

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
I can ask them to take an ASET before they send it, but you said you can tell from the photo that there is problems? How so?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 9:35:44 PM
I can ask them to take an ASET before they send it, but you said you can tell from the photo that there is problems? How so?
I can tell it doesn't have the optical performance of an AVC not even close the 8 pavillion mains have parts that out of phase from one another as shown in the photograph. However I won't make subjective comments like "it has a problem" beauty and what is considered a tolerable flaw is in the eye of the beholder.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some clarification would be good here if Dan Gillen or Mark are reading please so we know what the situation is.

Will ERD be providing ASET images on request for fancy shapes, including cushions, in the future or is that no longer an option?

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Credit to mark is that he will be providing and ASET, and never said he wouldn''t provide one. He just said he thought its better to go off what it looked like in person, and since he was willing to send it to me to look at it in person, then I jumped at that offer, because really thats whats most important to me. He will be sending an ASET, but personally I don''t know exactly what to look for with them, more red I guess, however I''m buying it to stay in my budget and look good.. if it looks great in person then that is what matters most to me.

I''m not really buying it to revel in the documents I have with it, I thought the ASET would be good to have if I wasn''t able to see the rock because it would give me some more info, but being able to see it in person is always the best I would think.

I kinda feel like there is some politics going on here which I really don''t care about and just wanna find a great diamond for my GF at a good price.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/14/2010 1:29:21 PM
Credit to mark is that he will be providing and ASET, and never said he wouldn''t provide one. He just said he thought its better to go off what it looked like in person, and since he was willing to send it to me to look at it in person, then I jumped at that offer, because really thats whats most important to me. He will be sending an ASET, but personally I don''t know exactly what to look for with them, more red I guess, however I''m buying it to stay in my budget and look good.. if it looks great in person then that is what matters most to me.

I''m not really buying it to revel in the documents I have with it, I thought the ASET would be good to have if I wasn''t able to see the rock because it would give me some more info, but being able to see it in person is always the best I would think.

I kinda feel like there is some politics going on here which I really don''t care about and just wanna find a great diamond for my GF at a good price.
Ok thank you, I just wanted to make sure for future ERD cushion queries so I can properly advise others as to what various vendors can provide, as if they could not provide images any longer then I would need to know. And thats great you can see it in person, ASET is useful for comparison purposes and so you can get a better idea of the light return but its only one part of the process in evaluating diamonds. Ideally if you could compare as many cushions as possible, including some from GOG then you will be in an enviable position to choose the best one for you.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2010 1:29:21 PM

There are no politics here - most of the people on this thread have dealt with both ERD and GOG. I own cushions from both ERD and GOG. They are just trying to educate you on the differences between these stones.

ERD - Nice looking stone but the photo shows clear areas of obstruction under the table. This isn''t a big deal for everyone since many like the lower price for a stone and doesn''t mind that the areas of obstruction. Some people also like less than perfect stones overall. It is an H color stone which is where for me where I start seeing color (but not for most other people). ERD does not provide all the "technical" analysis to allow people online to make an informed decision.

GOG - Superior light performance and guaranteed a high quality stone. The face up size difference is not significant to the ERD stone. It is a G colored stone which is a great color in my opinion - SI1 inclusions that can''t be seen with the naked eye. Price is a higher due to the branded cut and the effort required to cut a stone to this level of precision. All "technical" analysis have been included to allow the buyer to make an educated choice.

I might as well throw Perry and Leon into the mix. You will get something like ERD from Leon/Perry for comparable prices.

BillBigs

Rough_Rock
While there might not be politics on here there are definitely "cheerleaders" for some vendors. Am I the only one on here that thinks there's some irony in the fact that while almost everyone on PS agrees that you cant judge a cushion by the numbers there are several people on here that will undoubtedly and unflinchingly say that every AVC is better than any cushion from ERD, Leon, WF, etc. Now all the AVC cheerleaders please realize I am not degrading AVC's at all I'm merely commenting on the fact that there are a few people on here who will say without a doubt that every AVC is superior and then will quote Jon's message about it "being the only cushion cut for superior optics, etc etc"

I am a fan of the AVC and have even seen them in person but if you do your homework and work with a quality vendor and then have your stone evaluated by a noted PS appraiser (think Dave Atlas or Richard Sherwood) you can find a comparable chunky cushion from ERD or Leon. My use of the word comparable is not a subjective statement but more so an assessment after looking at the ASET's provided by the appraiser I worked with and then judging it against an AVC.

I wish that the cheerleaders would stop all the blanket statements regarding how the light performance of EVERY AVC is superior than any other cushion. The AVC are beautiful but there is also some variation amongst them.

So hopefully everyone realizes now that there's one prosumer cushion expert on here that when asked for his opinion will say" blah blah blah I can see obstruction here or there... if you really want the best go with the AVC followed by (insert Jon's comments about the cut superiority here)". I am not saying this person is dishonest or in any way affiliated with GOG, its just that he is very consistent with his feedback and his blanket statements always end up favoring GOG.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2010 12:23:02 PM
Author: BillBigs

I am a fan of the AVC and have even seen them in person but if you do your homework and work with a quality vendor and then have your stone evaluated by a noted PS appraiser (think Dave Atlas or Richard Sherwood) you can find a comparable chunky cushion from ERD or Leon.

I wish that the cheerleaders would stop all the blanket statements regarding how the light performance of EVERY AVC is superior than any other cushion. The AVC are beautiful but there is also some variation amongst them.
The truth is AVCs do have superior light performance to 99.99% of the generic chunky cushions out there. With that said, it doesn't mean that everyone cares about superior light performance - some people like the lower price tag or the different appearances of other chunky cushions. Some people even like obstruction and others like crushed ice. AVCs look the same in general and may not be everyone's cup of tea. It is mine and ended a year long search for me.

You never see someone owning an AVC coming on here to justify or defend their purchase. At the risk of sounding rude, I find some people with "generic" cushions coming here with a need to validate their purchase. I really don't feel a need for that too - it is very much a personal choice.

I have seen many many cushions in the past few years from PS vendors as well as non-PS vendors. I have even used Richard Sherwood and other PS appraisers too - you can ask them how the AVC compares to generic cushions. I am comfortable to say that there is nothing out there that compares to an AVC. I am not saying there aren't nice cushions out there but there isn't anything like the AVC. I still miss a true antique stone I passed on even though the light performance was less than desired and it had a huge natural indent.

Your cushion is very beautiful and I love the physical appearance - I also wouldn't hesitate to purchase it if I had the funds. However, if you want to compare ASETs with an AVC or have a little technical competition under different lighting situations and environments ... I know which one will win. If we vote purely based on a single static photo, it will be a toss up.

AVCs are cut to specific parameters - no other chunky cushion on the market right now are cut to strict specifications. If we are talking about modern cushions, that's a bit of a different ball game - I think we will start seeing some real interesting competition in the upcoming year. I may even be tempted to pick up another one.

BillBigs

Rough_Rock
I guess I would just have to disagree that every single AVC is better (in terms of light performance) than 99.9% of all other non branded (or generic) chunky cushions. I partially cant accept this because I used to be a statistical geek (i.e. MS in Stats & six sigma) and know that even under the mostly tightly controlled production processes using robots and machines you are going to have slight variations in output and so when you're using human to cut things even with strict quality measures there are going to be even more variations. Those variations are why every AVC is not automatically better than every non branded chunky. I'm sure the are cut guidelines or parameters that AVC's must fall into and within those parameters there are deviations in quality.

So the 99.9% number would be difficult if not impossible to reach... secondly and more importantly my whole point is that when people come here looking for pre- purchase advice it just pains me to see people (the cheerleaders) say there are "no absolutes" when it comes to cushions and then turnaround and say... except when you are talking about AVC's. So either there are absolutes or there aren't. Lastly I had an ASET done and as said before it compares very favorably or nearly identical to the AVC I was considering, so I know without a doubt that unless I found the one chunky (highly doubtful) that compares favorably there are others out there.

I just think it would be more appropriate if we said that AVC's are likely better than most non branded chunkys and unless a person wants to spend the time and energy looking for something of comparable quality which is not easy, they should consider paying the premium for the AVC. The statement avoids the obsessive cheerleading and rabid denial that anything, anything could come close to the light performance of the AVC (which as we all know by now (que the music) "are the only cushions cut for superior....[:loopy:"])

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
BillBigs - Please share your ASET images. I haven't seen a single ASET of a generic cushion that is better than an AVC. I really want to see this and will be very happy if I am proven wrong.

I am not stats expert and certainly don't have my masters in stats - I found my undergrad stat course boring enough to get through. Let me see how I can explain my view point using two companies and generic product development.

Company A has invested heavily in research and development on the product. They have spent years in perfecting the design and testing various prototypes to ensure that it functions the best way possible. They developed a clear set of specifications and invested in training and hiring skilled resources that understand how to build the product. Each resources uses surgical knives to perfect the details on the product. They have strict QA processes to make sure that each item is manufactured against tight tolerances and reject items that don't meet their standards. This product is designed for consumers with high expectations and desire for quality.

Company B is looking to sell a product that competes with company A's product but isn't willing to invest in research and development. Their goal is to maximize their profits and push through products to the average consumer who doesn't really notice slight imperfections. The company does not develop product specification or invest in training resources to build products to their defined guidelines. They are tasked with building products that minimizes product wastage even at the expense of a quality product. The resources uses butcher knives to add details to the product because it is faster and perfection is not required. QA processes are limited since there are no specifications to measure the end result against. As a result of these processes, the company is willing to pass on a savings of 10 to 20% when compared with Company A's product.

Bottom line - there are consumers for both Company A and B's products. It will be hard pressed to find a product from Company B that matches that of Company A. Possible? I am not sure .. how do you achieve the same result using a butcher knife versus a surgical knife?

Perhaps my 99.99% is going a bit far but it is highly unlikely. However, your example of machines etc meeting these tolerances is pretty much irrelevant to what I am saying. Let's say product A is to be built between 9 CM +/- 1 mm while product B is to be built between 7 CM +/- 1.5 CM .. very unlikely these two products will cross paths. AVCs and Generic cushions just aren't built to the same specs.

PS: I tried looking for a generic chunky cushion for over year with vendors all over Canada, US, and Hong Kong - I failed to find one that matches the light performance of the AVC.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Bill,

I appreciate your response. Being that my name/company is in this thread I''d like to share my thoughts.

Date: 5/15/2010 2:33:49 PM
I guess I would just have to disagree that every single AVC is better (in terms of light performance) than 99.9% of all other non branded (or generic) chunky cushions.
I''m sure the 99.9% number isn''t a hard cold fact but you can''t really appreciate the comment/analogy if you haven''t spent the last decade spending capital, calling in diamonds from cutting houses around the globe who cut cushions and finding just one with optics that might almost be what an AVC is. My opinion is weighted because I speak from experience but at the same time show the hard data to back up my claims. Of interest to you on this subject is a video i shot before releasing August Vintage simply entitled "41 Cushions" which features what is perhaps the largest varity of cushions shot (2 videos) showing optical differences from 5ct down to 1ct and is an accurate representation of what a person can expect from cutting houses around the globe. While there may be a diamond in there that comes close to an AVC not one has the optics of an AVC.

I partially cant accept this because I used to be a statistical geek (i.e. MS in Stats & six sigma) and know that even under the mostly tightly controlled production processes using robots and machines you are going to have slight variations in output and so when you''re using human to cut things even with strict quality measures there are going to be even more variations.
Correct. Now imagine cutting facilities with no tightly controlled production. Imagine how wide the variations. This is why, in the world of cushions there are few to none that has conistent predictable characteristics. There are only 3 that I know of around the globe. Square Cushion H&A, August Vintage and Cushette (who do not cut anymore). In a tightly controlled production you will produce a consistency that is predictable. This is what constitues, in my professional opinion the best brands. Predictable results of what you will see in each diamond of that brand.

Those variations are why every AVC is not automatically better than every non branded chunky. I''m sure the are cut guidelines or parameters that AVC''s must fall into and within those parameters there are deviations in quality.
Have you visually compared what is apparently the worst AVC to what is being cut and available on the market? Have you compared what you think is the best AVC to the worst? What you might not realize is the consistency we produce in every single AVC. If one is not cut to standard I am quick to send it back to be recut. If it is going to represent my signature Bill it must have certain optics period. If it does not it will not be an August Vintage.

So the 99.9% number would be difficult if not impossible to reach...
The 99.9% is not between August Vintages. It is between August Vintage vs all other cushions. Even those cushiosn with better ASET''s than others, they still do not match the AVC. Also, don''t take my comments the wrong way either. I''m not saying August Vintage cushions are the most beautiful cushions either. There are cushions equally as beautiful but let''s not call an apple an orange either.

secondly and more importantly my whole point is that when people come here looking for pre- purchase advice it just pains me to see people (the cheerleaders) say there are ''no absolutes'' when it comes to cushions and then turnaround and say... except when you are talking about AVC''s. So either there are absolutes or there aren''t.
They reason why the long standing members of this forum speak in terms of "absolutes" with August Vintage is became many of them know the inventor of them, his integrity and the proof he presents on his products to back his claims. They are not empty words. If "chuky facets" was all we were looking for August Vintage would have never been created. I can get chunky cushions all day long. Perhaps you really can''t appreciate what I''m saying because you''ve never spent thousands and thousands of dollars finding and learning what I have over the last decade.

When a vendor/company can present consistent objective data from diamond to diaimond in each and every diamond then consumers can speak in terms of "absolutes" regarding a brand they feature or represent unless hard evidence is shown to be otherwise.

For example if we were talking about Asscher''s and someone mentioned Octavia Asscher vs all other Asscher''s I can tell you with absolute certainty the Octavia will have certain optics all the other Asscher''s will not.

Lastly I had an ASET done and as said before it compares very favorably or nearly identical to the AVC I was considering, so I know without a doubt that unless I found the one chunky (highly doubtful) that compares favorably there are others out there.
And good for you!!! I am intimately familiar with the cutting houses and have access to the same diamonds. We find needles in the haystack from time to time and if I had found more of them would never have created AVC. I will say this though ... even the ones that have ASET''s that are close are still not identical to our products and they are needles in haystacks. My access is not limited to AVC but if a person is looking for a product that is consistent with predictable performance that is the purpose of a brand. No different from any brand.

All round brilliant cut diamonds share a common facet structure but not all rounds brilliant cut diamonds have the same light performance or are cut to the same levels of precision. Those of us on the Internet who feature a branded line, whether it is our GOG Signature Hearts & Arrows or Paul''s Infinity diamonds, WF ACA''s, etc. it is a name that people associate with consistency in precision, beauty and light performance. They dont'' have to call in many diamonds to find one with jammin optical results that can be demonstrated. Every single one is. Can people have USA Certed send diamonds to an appraiser cheaper and be of the same quality ... sure it is possible but not with the same predictable consistency diamond to diamond. Not by a long shot. In fact the amount they''ll pay an appraiser to learn the same info will wind up costing more than if they were to by the brand in most instances.

The odds are more against you when you''re talking about a diamond without a cut grade.

At the end of the day it''s about peace of mind spending this much money over the Internet. I do what I can to provide that and follow a different type of business model that reflects what I would want if I were coming to you to spend my money.

My .02c

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
At the end of summer, I will have both my ring with a Perry/Leon sourced 1.01 E VS2 antique style chunky cushion and a pair of J .41/.42 VS1/2 AVC earrings. I''m gonna take a whole lot of pictures and videos of the two and put em up here.

Just want to say, that while some might consider this "politics", I for one am so grateful for this debate. Far from being rude, I find it exceptional when knowledgeable people of differing opinions really hash things out, point/counterpoint. And I want to thank all of you involved for your passion. Really, thank you.

For ease, I''m making a link to the videos Rhino has just mentioned:

Links to both videos for 41 Cushions

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
With all the talk about the ASET image, I would like to exhibit the ASET camera that we use at ERD. ASET images can be attained through a variety of ASET image capturing equipment, so I have been told. Some of the color hues that I have seen on some images are not possible with the machine that we have purchased from the AGSL. I cannot say whether the comparisons are apples to apples with regard to equipment.

ASETCaminaction2small-591.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2010 2:33:49 PM
I guess I would just have to disagree that every single AVC is better (in terms of light performance) than 99.9% of all other non branded (or generic) chunky cushions. I partially cant accept this because I used to be a statistical geek (i.e. MS in Stats & six sigma) and know that even under the mostly tightly controlled production processes using robots and machines you are going to have slight variations in output and so when you''re using human to cut things even with strict quality measures there are going to be even more variations. Those variations are why every AVC is not automatically better than every non branded chunky. I''m sure the are cut guidelines or parameters that AVC''s must fall into and within those parameters there are deviations in quality.

So the 99.9% number would be difficult if not impossible to reach... secondly and more importantly my whole point is that when people come here looking for pre- purchase advice it just pains me to see people (the cheerleaders) say there are ''no absolutes'' when it comes to cushions and then turnaround and say... except when you are talking about AVC''s. So either there are absolutes or there aren''t. Lastly I had an ASET done and as said before it compares very favorably or nearly identical to the AVC I was considering, so I know without a doubt that unless I found the one chunky (highly doubtful) that compares favorably there are others out there.

I just think it would be more appropriate if we said that AVC''s are likely better than most non branded chunkys and unless a person wants to spend the time and energy looking for something of comparable quality which is not easy, they should consider paying the premium for the AVC. The statement avoids the obsessive cheerleading and rabid denial that anything, anything could come close to the light performance of the AVC (which as we all know by now (que the music) ''are the only cushions cut for superior....[:loopy:''])
BillBigs,

You have 11 posts on PS, and I just looked back at them as I read in your thread, you bought your cushion from Leon who uses the same source for these vintage 8 mains as ERD.
I remember your thread here and it would appear you are heavily influenced by your experiences and chosen vendors comments thus far. I want to understand your level of education and understanding since you made your purchase.

Do you understand what the ASET does and what it tells us about diamond light performance, and how it is related to the American Gem Society (AGS) Cut Grade? (Some background reading for you here)
Do you understand the difference between the cut of your stone and an AVC on your hand?
Do you understand the difference between these two ASET images attached below and how they will correlate to real world appearance?
Do you even understand why your diamond(please feel free to post its ASET but I can tell from the photograph) does not even have close to the same ASET image or light performance as an AVC?

After you answer those questions I think you will be in an informed position to understand why GOG has so many "cheerleaders" on this forum.
Also just for further background reading here are my own RT threads here you might just be surprised by their contents.

AVCVersusGeneric.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2010 7:18:43 PM
Author: 30yearsofdiamonds
With all the talk about the ASET image, I would like to exhibit the ASET camera that we use at ERD. ASET images can be attained through a variety of ASET image capturing equipment, so I have been told. Some of the color hues that I have seen on some images are not possible with the machine that we have purchased from the AGSL. I cannot say whether the comparisons are apples to apples with regard to equipment.
Dan,

The AGS education website is unfortunately down today but it would be useful to view this presentation tutorial here.
While the contrast and resolution of colors is important as is the background color, the hue of the colors makes very little difference in interpretation except in resolving the different colors. Orange and Red color in an ASET images are still interpreted the same.

There are differences in black background versus white background images, in general the black background images (like the ones taken by your AGS camera ASET) blur the line between obstruction and leakage (dark blue and black are hard to differentiate) and have a tendency to make it more difficult to identify leakage, but otherwise the two provide the same information.

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks, CCL.

I would love to take an ASET photo of an AVC on our setup. Do you have any loose AVC''s you could send to me so I can take an ASET photo, it would really help with this discussion.

Thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results