shape
carat
color
clarity

Can U Spare a BARN??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been avoiding posting about this mostly ''cause I''m embarrased!!! But even though I''ve been engaged since early November we have not set a date yet ... because we can not find the LOCATION in our vision. We really want to do a "matrimonial hoe-down BBQ" in a scenic barn. But how exactly do you book a barn? Not in the wedding mags, no? Not in the "wedding guides" AIGGh. There''s a wedding planner in the area who specializes in "wacky weddings" but her initial consultation fee is $800 ... and all I need is the BARN! I could BUILD a barn for $800 (just kidding).

I found one that local farmers use for a yearly "Barn Dance" and it was perfect!! Even found photos online of another couple who''d been married there ...tracked down the owner & she called me back!! BAD NEWS. The last caterer left the door open and the doors fell off and the roof needs repair and she can''t commit to having it fixed by the Fall. (Oct. -- when we''re hoping to have the wedding).

So now I''m super discouraged!
7.gif
Am about to give in & pay the "events lady" but I''m pretty sure that''s the barn she would have recommended!
39.gif

Any ideas? Know anyone with a barn in NY''s Hudson Valley?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
What about a carraige house in NJ? You could have your wedding at my house.
2.gif
Okay okay that would be a bit of a drive. Have you contacted the historical society, they might know where you could find one, and local elementary schools might know as well becuase of feild trips...wish I could be of more help.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2006 8:50:55 PM
Author: Matatora
What about a carraige house in NJ? You could have your wedding at my house.
2.gif
Okay okay that would be a bit of a drive. Have you contacted the historical society, they might know where you could find one, and local elementary schools might know as well becuase of feild trips...wish I could be of more help.

Hmmm carraige house, huh? Sounds like a great pad, Mat!! I also really appreciate your ideas about the historical society & the elem. school ... I''ll work on those tomorrow!

It''s so funny ... I thought a BBQ would be EASIER [:rolleyes] maybe in the long run it will be!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
deco: i''m wondering where you are located?

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Deco, if you were in MI I could tell you of this awesome place that puts on weddings called Cobblestone Farms. The reception is in the actual barn...and get comes with a chicken coup with goats. Too bad you aren''t in MI.
5.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2006 10:15:20 AM
Author: lovelylulu
deco: i''m wondering where you are located?

Mid-Hudson Valley, north of New Paltz, south of Woodstock, east of the Catskills ... anywhere in that general area would be great! Even the other side of the river in Dutchess County could work ...

Open to suggestions!!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i''m not exactly sure if this is in the area:

http://www.destinationbride.com/features/wedding-gallery/bosquet

someone posted this ad on craigslist (you??) but it''s an idea
Wanted: Barn in Hudson Valley for wedding
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2006-02-22, 12:30AM EST

I''m looking for a large barn to rent for my wedding and reception somewhere in the Hudson Valley

this is in or around Hudson Valley
I''m still looking...

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I love your idea Deco ~ my parents hosted a wedding reception for their friends'' daughter in their barn and it was a lot of fun.

I''m assuming you don''t know anyone w/ horses or maybe a friend of a friend that lives out in the country...

What about looking in the phone book for someone who gives horseback riding lessons or boards horses? These people will probably not have the kind of set up you need - but chances are they know other people in the area that might. Or, even contacting a large animal veteranarian?

I''m just thinking along the lines of networking... and despite the distance people have from each other in the country, many of them know each other and work cooperatively. And horse people know other horse people and farmers (hay) so that may be an avenue to pursue.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
the others have already given you great suggestions and I don''t think I can add much more, but I just want to say I love your idea!!! It sounds like so much fun!

Maybe you can somehow contact the local 4H club or something, and see if they might be able to network you, or perhaps posting an ad in the local paper... or contacting any local service clubs, they might have connections, like a kiwanis or rotary club, they would probably be ''in the know''

saturn

Shiny_Rock
This website lists the Adair Winery and Mount Gulian as sites that have barns.

TBeck2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/12/2006 8:28:46 PM
Author:decodelighted
I found one that local farmers use for a yearly ''Barn Dance'' and it was perfect!! Even found photos online of another couple who''d been married there ...tracked down the owner & she called me back!! BAD NEWS. The last caterer left the door open and the doors fell off and the roof needs repair and she can''t commit to having it fixed by the Fall. (Oct. -- when we''re hoping to have the wedding).
Have you talked to the owner to see if you could help her repair the barn? Make a deal with her that you will fix it up and she''ll let you use it for free. Hanging new doors can''t be too big of a deal. Fixing a roof on a barn is a major pain, but maybe you could get the guys from the wedding party to spend a good weekend putting some effort into fixing up the place. It sounds like this setting made for a nice reception in the past, so I can''t imagine that it would take that much effort to restore it. I''m sure the owner would be so happy with the repairs that you could use the barn for free on the day of your wedding.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco,
I love your idea. I hope you can find one that suits you. How fun!!!
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

I''m excited again ... and busily checking into these awesome ideas!

Fingers crossed I find something soon! (All the good picture takers are getting booked up for Oct, prime season in these parts - leaf peepin'' & all)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deco, just wanted to say I love your barn wedding idea! Sorry I can''t help you out with finding the location (I''m in Illinois), but I wanted to tell you when we were looking for sites a few years ago, I actually visited a horse farm down the street from the apartment we were living in! The barn was beautiful inside (for a barn, ha ha!) and the reason I went to see it was not because I had my heart set on a barn wedding, but it was one of the sites that fit into our budget nicely. I was also looking for a site where we could have an outdoor ceremony, and they had a beautiful clearing with a gazebo for ceremonies. It would''ve been lots of fun, but we ended up finding a different location. I still hope we get to go to a wedding there someday...the pictures the guy showed me from past events looked awesome!

Best of luck with your search!
35.gif
9.gif

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Try www.charmedplaces.com
They say they have barns as locations..and they are in hudson valley. I live in the hudson valley and it seems there are barns everywhere!!!
41.gif

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
Hi Deco,

I don''t know how far away you are willing to go, but, I have a great location for you in New Hope, Pennsylvania. Try Holly Hedge Estates, beautiful, rustic, romatic barn with fireplace and bar. Absolutely fabulous...they have an on site officiant who is beyond wonderful, her name is Wendy Hendricks. She is also the mgr of event planning there and they treat you like royalty.

Dave and I got married there and it was incredible!

You can look them up on the net. Let me know what you think and best of luck!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Deco, I like your idea too. I can''t help with locations as I''m not up there, but we had our reception at a place in the Brandywine Valley in PA called "The Stone Barn." Good luck! The Hudson Valley is a gorgeous area!

http://www.thestonebarn.com/

momothree

Shiny_Rock
Hi Deco:
I have family in Rhinebeck/Red Hook so I am kind of familiar with the area. They live very close to an apple orchard. Can''t remember the name but that may be a possibility. Also, does Bard College have any casual-ish/barn-like facilities for rent? My niece takes horseback riding lessons in the area. Don''t know the name but have you checked with riding facilities? Also, there is an incredible cooking supply store on the road between Rhinebeck and Red Hook whose name is totally escaping me. It''s real a destination point for chefs, students/staff from CIA in Hyde Park and, one could assume, caterers. I am thinking the staff could be an excellent resource for unique party spots. Good luck! I can''t think of a nicer spot to be married....

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I actually live in the Rhinebeck area (about 2 min outside the town). There are lovely locations everywhere around here, just not sure if they rent out the faciltiies for weddings. I think Bard College is worth looking into.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 6:21:02 PM
Author: JessesGrl
I actually live in the Rhinebeck area (about 2 min outside the town). There are lovely locations everywhere around here, just not sure if they rent out the faciltiies for weddings. I think Bard College is worth looking into.

I mentioned this to my FI, but he actually works for a rival local College.
3.gif
And was like "No WAY!". I''m also trying to stay on this side of the river because years ago FI was married previously at a well-known, riverview, mucho $$ B&B on THAT side.
14.gif
Gots to keep this, um, "different" ya know! (PS = he also "used up" eloping by doing the Vegas thing with the ex too - AIIIGHH)

I did email Charmed Places again, they''re the $$$ place I was hoping not to have to use, just ''cause of the tight budget!!

Everyone had such great ideas ... I''m working through those too, one by one! (And running ''em by the Sweetie)

Will keep updating this thread with my progress! THANKS TO EVERYONE who''s chipped in ideas. I REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!
13.gif
13.gif
13.gif

lorichka6

Rough_Rock
decodelighted - any luck yet - I am in the same exact situation (same area, same time frame, but have you beat on the we-waited-too-long - we got engaged in september!) and was wondering if you found anything. i''m beginning to think if we want to do it in the fall we might need to wait until 2007...
4.gif

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
We went to college in upstate NY and used to visit a gorgeous town called Skaneateles. Have you ever been there? The town is untouched by time. There is a stunning lake in the center, and a little street along side with antique shops and great gifts shops... In the fall it is really just breathtaking. Anyway, when we'd go we'd stay at this B&B called the "Frog Pond" which was later where we got engaged... it's a 2 room B&B - It's so pretty - trees, pond, antiques -- The owners recently fixed up their barn for their daughter to get married. I don't think it's too lavish, but they are catering weddings there themselves now, I think... Here's a link. If you contact them, they can e-mail you pictures of the barn. They had sent them to us at one point... We considered it. (Before we decided to elope.)

frog pond

Here's a bigger place on the water where guests could stay...

http://www.thesherwoodinn.com/attractions.html

good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
deco i remember an article i saw when we were planning, it was a rehearsal dinner in a barn and it was awesome, beautiful, the photos were taken from the door of the barn and they used long tables to work with the lines of the barn, stunning and so romantic when lit by all candles....i was like oh we should do a barn wedding but of course around here any barn i saw was falling apart from 20 years of neglect, nothing like a wedding barn or anything so oh well. but i love the idea!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 5:44:24 PM
Author: lorichka6
decodelighted - any luck yet - I am in the same exact situation (same area, same time frame, but have you beat on the we-waited-too-long - we got engaged in september!) and was wondering if you found anything. i''m beginning to think if we want to do it in the fall we might need to wait until 2007...
4.gif

Hi Lorichka6 ... no luck yet ... found a great Historic Tralee Barn in Stone Ridge, but the roof needs repair and the owner isn''t willing to commit to it being fixed by fall. We''ve actually been pursuing a "Get Hitched in Italy" plan for a couple weeks but might be back to "barn" any day now.

Will post if I find something!!! Now I have to go check out the suggestions that came in while I was out of town for a few days ...

Good luck & CONGRATS!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2006 2:40:40 PM
Author: cushioncut
We went to college in upstate NY and used to visit a gorgeous town called Skaneateles. Have you ever been there? The town is untouched by time. There is a stunning lake in the center, and a little street along side with antique shops and great gifts shops... In the fall it is really just breathtaking. Anyway, when we''d go we''d stay at this B&B called the ''Frog Pond'' which was later where we got engaged... it''s a 2 room B&B - It''s so pretty - trees, pond, antiques -- The owners recently fixed up their barn for their daughter to get married. I don''t think it''s too lavish, but they are catering weddings there themselves now, I think... Here''s a link. If you contact them, they can e-mail you pictures of the barn. They had sent them to us at one point... We considered it. (Before we decided to elope.frog pond
Here''s a bigger place on the water where guests could stay...
http://www.thesherwoodinn.com/attractions.html
good luck!

WOW ... that looks so nice! I think it''s pretty far from us, but closer than Italy (our other "dream" plan). I''ll check it out more & show it to my fiance when I get back from my trip.

Thanks so much for thinking of me & passing this on!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results