shape
carat
color
clarity

Can this eternity necklace be improved?

TravelKat

Rough_Rock
Hello PS!

I’ve been a stalker of these forums for over 6 years. I know the date almost exactly because I started searching the web for rings like mine once by now husband surprised me with an embarrassingly lovely engagement ring and the only place I could find a community with similar items was here. (And I’ve been visiting for the eye candy ever since— you all have some stunning jewels!) The treats have just kept coming since then, and he’s got such amazing taste. But I have a question about one of the items I got as a gift and last summer I’m wondering if the PS community has any advice.

As you can see from the pics, it’s a bezel set eternity necklace. And when I wear it, it goes wonky, and not at all flat so that the diamonds end up twisting and facing my body. So what you mostly see is the side or the back of the setting. Which is super annoying!

At first I thought maybe the issue was that the connections on the sides are all at 3 and 9 o’clock— if you know what I mean— and most necklaces are set with the links at 2 and 10 o’clock. So maybe I should have someone try to rework it?

But then I wondered if maybe it’s the height of the back and because of the way it’s set, it would roll anyway?

I’m really curious and would love to hear any thoughts. Should I try to have the bezels redone— I mean, I have no idea how long that would take or how much it will cost— or if the problem is to do with the height and weight distribution of the settings. Please share your thoughts! Thanks so much! 2AC8D043-82AE-4DE6-94B0-D1CEBFCE53F8.jpeg EE625304-41F0-45DE-AC9B-5C603B9AC294.jpeg 7A69CFAF-8A51-4990-A0A2-8AAFD066FB64.jpeg

TravelKat

Rough_Rock
One other photo which may be more illustrative...

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that length the length you want it? I wonder if part of the problem is that it's more vertical than flat. Have you tried just putting a 2"or 3" necklace extender on it and seeing if it being a little longer helps it lay normally and not turn around?

TravelKat

Rough_Rock
Sorry! Here’s the pic (can you tell I’m new to this forum? )

Attachments

• 84AB7E06-18FD-43C0-8C27-4D1DD31687B7.jpeg
    84AB7E06-18FD-43C0-8C27-4D1DD31687B7.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 108

TravelKat

Rough_Rock
No, I haven’t tried that yet, but I suppose is should. My preference is for this length. I’m a bit busty so I’m worried about things being too long and drawing too much attention to my cleavage. But that probably my own hang-up, so I’ll give putting an extender on it a try.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to say the same thing about length. I'm hunting for a Riviere type necklace at the moment, so this is also one of my concerns. I know that some necklaces are weighted, and that some styles, like the 3-prong Martini are supposed to roll less. However, my preference is towards the 18-20" length so that may be a difference as well.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The truth is they always roll. Well, mine did. I tried everything. In the end I put a diamond pendant onto it and that “sticks” to my skin and yay, no more rolling.

Q

Queenie60

I have a 17" tennis necklace and it seems to stay flat most of the time however it will roll on occasion. Just the nature of the beast,

TravelKat

Rough_Rock
E24283C4-276F-4630-814C-25737487CB1A.jpeg
How I “fixed” mine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did think about this, but I’m determined to wear this as an everyday necklace most of the time, I feel the stones aren’t so big and they’re all ones size, so even though it’s a total of 20 carats it feels that should be possible. So adding a lovely big pendant like you’ve done (that is fab!) would only work for the days I want to glam it up.

But I think you’re helping me see that might be the best possible fix as these pieces may always just roll.

TravelKat

Rough_Rock
I have a 17" tennis necklace and it seems to stay flat most of the time however it will roll on occasion. Just the nature of the beast,

Yes, I’m beginning to think you may be right on that. Thanks for confirming my Clare suspicion— that there’s a chance that there isn’t really a fix for this issue and it’s just always going to roll. Which is a bummer!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome @TravelKat !

Sorry I cannot be any help as I don't have a necklace like this, but please PLEASE can you start a thread in Show Me The Bling on ALL your gorgeous jewellery? I'm sure I'm not the only one drooling over your avatar!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would try to make a front section stiffer, so no part can roll unless everything does, and the courvature of the neck wuld prevent that; same goes for two sections on the sides of the clasp; the parts fitting over the shoulders would remain as flexible as they are. I am not entirely sure how I'd try to be sure that there is no damage (perhaps thin wire could go through the back of the bezels, or some other improvisation, just to test mechanics), if it worked, then it would be up to a jeweler to do something acceptable & permanent.

I do not have the right kind of necklace in the house to try.

TravelKat

Rough_Rock
Welcome @TravelKat !

Sorry I cannot be any help as I don't have a necklace like this, but please PLEASE can you start a thread in Show Me The Bling on ALL your gorgeous jewellery? I'm sure I'm not the only one drooling over your avatar!

Ha! Well, I do have a few things to share. Sure, I’ll start a thread.

TravelKat

Rough_Rock
I would try to make a front section stiffer, so no part can roll unless everything does, and the courvature of the neck wuld prevent that; same goes for two sections on the sides of the clasp; the parts fitting over the shoulders would remain as flexible as they are. I am not entirely sure how I'd try to be sure that there is no damage (perhaps thin wire could go through the back of the bezels, or some other improvisation, just to test mechanics), if it worked, then it would be up to a jeweler to do something acceptable & permanent.

I do not have the right kind of necklace in the house to try.

I am definitely going to give that a try! Thank you for that suggestion.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest a wire as well. It will give some structure and a frame to sit on.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
randomthought: possibly the easiest way to make parts of the nechlace 'stiff' would be to put a strip of sticky band onthe back, perhaps \___/ infront & two slanted toward the clasp (the angles with the clasp matter, so perhaps let the last links to the clasp move freely). I am curious, sure enough!

rocksjust4me

Rough_Rock
I was going to say the same thing about length. I'm hunting for a Riviere type necklace at the moment, so this is also one of my concerns. I know that some necklaces are weighted, and that some styles, like the 3-prong Martini are supposed to roll less. However, my preference is towards the 18-20" length so that may be a difference as well.

I have/had a 6ct 17” Rivera necklace that would not lay flat at all. I ended up trading it in because i never wore it due to the flipping. I purchased it with the intent to wear it daily. It was 3 prong, and i think the 4 prong lay flatter because of the extra weight. I have also been told by a jeweler that the flipping is caused by the way the stones are set. I want to get another one, but I will need to research more to find one that will not flip

TravelKat

Rough_Rock
I have/had a 6ct 17” Rivera necklace that would not lay flat at all. I ended up trading it in because i never wore it due to the flipping. I purchased it with the intent to wear it daily. It was 3 prong, and i think the 4 prong lay flatter because of the extra weight. I have also been told by a jeweler that the flipping is caused by the way the stones are set. I want to get another one, but I will need to research more to find one that will not flip

Thanks for your thoughts. When the jeweller said it flipped because of how the stones were set, what alternate setting did he recommend?

TravelKat

Rough_Rock
randomthought: possibly the easiest way to make parts of the nechlace 'stiff' would be to put a strip of sticky band onthe back, perhaps \___/ infront & two slanted toward the clasp (the angles with the clasp matter, so perhaps let the last links to the clasp move freely). I am curious, sure enough!

Hmmm... this suggestion and the idea about making the front stiff are two things in defiantly going to bring to the jeweller as possible solutions if my at hone fix doesn’t work. I’ve ordered some wire to see if that works. I’m thinking about how this could work if the wire, the simplest solution, doesn’t. Thanks!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if it would work, and it may significantly alter the overall aesthetic of the necklace, however, how about changing the links so that the base of the links is larger than the depth, as in more trapezoid and/or shallower than cuboid?

/___\ or |___| than |__| if you know what I mean?

DK :))

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one, with smaller stones, 16" and about 5 cts. but it does not flip and I think it's due to how it is set. Here are photos of the side and the back. The setting does add a bit of stiffness which I think is the solution to stop the flipping.

IMG_1955.JPG IMG_1956.JPG

rocksjust4me

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts. When the jeweller said it flipped because of how the stones were set, what alternate setting did he recommend?

The jeweler who sold me the necklace said i need a larger carat weight or a 4 prong setting. I tried the exact same carat weight and .5” shorter on in a different jewelry store and it felt much heavier and laid flat, they told me the stones need to be set low and that it should not flip.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DW has a 15ctw tennis necklace that doesn't roll at all, so it can be done. It is 16" long and has 91 diamonds, all of equal size, set into three prong heads. If it would help I can get a close up photo next time she gets it out.

She also has a sapphire and diamond tennis bracelet. We bought an extension chain for this bracelet so it could also be worn as a necklace. This piece does tend to roll when worn as a necklace. The bracelet was designed to curve vertically to fit around a wrist and has very little side to side curvature. I'm thinking this is why it rolls. We actually found that shortening the extension chain so it became more of a choker helped a lot. I think because it is pulled into the neck and lies flat against the neck.

2.jpg 3a.jpg

DW once tried on a huge diamond necklace at an auction house and it rolled as soon as she put it on! The lady from the auction house came over, undid the clasp and switched the way it was put on. The rolling went completely away. Apparently that necklace was designed to curve in only one direction.

Last edited:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I tried on a 20" Martini setting and it didn't flip at all. I tried on a 17" Martini and it flipped in seconds. I attributed the difference to length + the geometry of my chest. I do think a heavier necklace wouldn't flip as much, and I also think the structural makeup of the necklace setting would play the most important role.

I've seem some necklaces like @Lookinagain said that had some structural formations that may improve the issue.

TravelKat

Rough_Rock
DW has a 15ctw tennis necklace that doesn't roll at all, so it can be done. It is 16" long and has 91 diamonds, all of equal size, set into three prong heads. If it would help I can get a close up photo next time she gets it out.

She also has a sapphire and diamond tennis bracelet. We bought an extension chain for this bracelet so it could also be worn as a necklace. This piece does tend to roll when worn as a necklace. The bracelet was designed to curve vertically to fit around a wrist and has very little side to side curvature. I'm thinking this is why it rolls. We actually found that shortening the extension chain so it became more of a choker helped a lot. I think because it is pulled into the neck and lies flat against the neck.

2.jpg 3a.jpg

DW once tried on a huge diamond necklace at an auction house and it rolled as soon as she put it on! The lady from the auction house came over, undid the clasp and switched the way it was put on. The rolling went completely away. Apparently that necklace was designed to curve in only one direction.

First, I have to say that bracelet is gorgeous! It’s fab that it can also be worn as a necklace.

I’d love to see the setting, please do send it at some point. On your auction house experience, I did wonder if putting it on differently might help. This is artistry, so things are designed in such specific ways. But nope, no luck there either.

TravelKat

Rough_Rock
I have one, with smaller stones, 16" and about 5 cts. but it does not flip and I think it's due to how it is set. Here are photos of the side and the back. The setting does add a bit of stiffness which I think is the solution to stop the flipping.

IMG_1955.JPG IMG_1956.JPG

That’s interesting! I’ve never seen them set so deep. Thanks for posting this, I’ll definitely be sharing this setting if the wire hack doesn’t work.

Reactions: AV_

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@TravelKat It turns out DW wears her tennis necklace a particular way in order to get it to lie flat. The diamonds are set in three prong heads, and the single prong side of the setting has to be on the outside of the curve. You can see from this photo the necklace is extremely flexible curved this way, it can do a 180° turn in four stones.

Flexibility Single Prong Side Out.jpg

The necklace is much less flexible when the two prong side of the setting is on the outside of the curve. It takes nine stones to do the 180° turn. The necklace tends to roll when worn this way.

Flexibility Double Prong Side Out.jpg

Here are close ups of the setting taken from top, bottom and both sides.

Setting Close Up.jpg Setting Bottom View.jpg Setting Side View Double Prong.jpg Setting Side View Single Prong.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@TravelKat If the worst comes to the worst you could try shortening your necklace to see if it will perform similarly to DW's sapphire choker. It is 13 5/8" long and is held fairly closely to the neck. I think that is what keeps it from rolling.

With some help and a couple of twist ties you could easily experiment with different lengths to see what works best.

TravelKat

Rough_Rock
@TravelKat It turns out DW wears her tennis necklace a particular way in order to get it to lie flat. The diamonds are set in three prong heads, and the single prong side of the setting has to be on the outside of the curve. You can see from this photo the necklace is extremely flexible curved this way, it can do a 180° turn in four stones.

Flexibility Single Prong Side Out.jpg

The necklace is much less flexible when the two prong side of the setting is on the outside of the curve. It takes nine stones to do the 180° turn. The necklace tends to roll when worn this way.

Flexibility Double Prong Side Out.jpg

Here are close ups of the setting taken from top, bottom and both sides.

Setting Close Up.jpg Setting Bottom View.jpg Setting Side View Double Prong.jpg Setting Side View Single Prong.jpg

OK! This! I think the fact that my necklace is set like a bracelet, with all the links connected at the centre point, is the core issue. As I said in that first post, I wonder if the way your wife’s necklace is set is how mine should be (I called it a 10 o’clock/ 2 o’clock attachment or something similar/ higher up). The wire arrived today and it helps a bit. But I think I’m going to have to just find someone to rework this for me.

Thanks for sharing the pics. This was a lightbulb moment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results