shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone please help us examine this pear?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
Hello, everyone. I have been coming to this site for a while, reading post after post and learning as much as I can as I get ready to get an engagement ring! I am actually working with my GF on this so we have been looking at pears for a while. We have examined colors, sizes, shapes, etc. After seeing a number of stones in person we are familiar with the kind of shape and ratio we desire in a pear.

We actually used one of the retailers from this site to obtain a stone that matches all the specs we''ve been looking at. It had to be brought in from overseas and is at their facility now. The salesperson says all looks well but we obviously haven''t seen the stone in person. I received pictures and details, including a SARIN and IS image but as my GF and I looked at them, we realized we really don''t know what to make of them.
33.gif

I was hoping some of the many experts here wouldn''t mind taking a look at the attachments and let us know how the stone looks - perhaps we can avoid having to have the stone sent to us and expedite it on its way to the ringmaker.

The stone looks... asymmetrical, but that could be because of its orientation in the picture. The IS shows a lot of red (good, right?) but not a lot of evenly dispersed black specs and what appears to be "leakage" on most of the lower half of the stone, if I''m interpreting it correctly.

I know that with fancies like pears, it is difficult to prevent leakage but is the amount shown in these photos "normal" or acceptable?

I don''t even know how to read the "green" image... the retailer said there is a bowtie but that it''s not bad. Of course, these are the salespeople :). What is the green picture of, exactly? Does that show a bowtie prominently or is that something else?

I believe I have read that certain people can plug in the numbers from a SARIN into something like DiamonCalc (or another program?) to get some valuable information. Is that something we can do or have done?

Any feedback, opinions, and expertise are totally welcomed! Thanks so much in advance for all your help!
36.gif

40xa.jpg

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
Not sure why I can''t attach more than one picture at a time so I have to do it this way...

astSafetyFirst.jpg

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
IS image...

isSafetyFirst.jpg

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
CERT image of inclusions

certSafetyFirst.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I am the first to admit that when it comes to the techincal stuff I don''t know what I''m talking about, but DAMN I love that stone!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 10:53:20 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
OK, I am the first to admit that when it comes to the techincal stuff I don''t know what I''m talking about, but DAMN I love that stone!
Me too and it is nice and fat like a pear should look, not skinny.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
interesting pear.
The pictures show that is some degrees of head shadow it has a bow tie.
I would ask that someone view it in person and give an opinion on how it looks at a ladies half and full arm length.
If the bow tie isn''t to prominent at those distances I think it is good to go.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto strmrdr!

Beautiful stone though. A stone with a minimal bowtie is always preferable, unless you like the look.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty pear!

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
Yes, we love the proportions on the pear! Thanks for the thoughts so far. I have a feeling if I ask them to view the stone (arms length and everything) they will tell me it looks great, regardless - not that I don't trust the people there but one should always be cautious.

To be honest, I don't see the bowtie in the pictures (except for the green picture) but I also know that I'm no expert so it could be my inexperience (ignorance isn't always bliss when you're not ignorant later). I am, however, concerned about all the clear areas on the lower part of the stone (IS image) and the lack of black specs... according to some sites I've seen those features lead to a more scintillating and firey stone. Does that mean that this is "dull"?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, from just looking at the picture, it looks like a beautiful stone. I cant read the ASET or sarin (or whatever
pictures they are - sorry). I''m a pear wearer myself and I love them!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 8:51:39 AM
Author: SafetyFirst
Yes, we love the proportions on the pear! Thanks for the thoughts so far. I have a feeling if I ask them to view the stone (arms length and everything) they will tell me it looks great, regardless - not that I don't trust the people there but one should always be cautious.

To be honest, I don't see the bowtie in the pictures (except for the green picture) but I also know that I'm no expert so it could be my inexperience (ignorance isn't always bliss when you're not ignorant later). I am, however, concerned about all the clear areas on the lower part of the stone (IS image) and the lack of black specs... according to some sites I've seen those features lead to a more scintillating and firey stone. Does that mean that this is 'dull'?
Fancy shapes show differently to rounds in ASET and IS, so you need to evaluate all your info with the images and photos, I think the pear looks great but we can only tell so much from images without seeing the diamond. What I would do is contact WF and express your concerns to someone who can actually see the diamond, they will be completely honest with you - you can trust them to give you an accurate description.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 10:58:59 PM
Author: Skippy123

And me! I think its beautiful!! I wish I had a pear!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 9:46:56 AM
Author: Maisie

Date: 2/18/2009 10:58:59 PM
Author: Skippy123

And me! I think its beautiful!! I wish I had a pear!
Dee I was totally thinking the same thing! Looks beautiful to me!

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 9:40:09 AM
Author: Lorelei

To be honest, I don't see the bowtie in the pictures (except for the green picture) but I also know that I'm no expert so it could be my inexperience (ignorance isn't always bliss when you're not ignorant later). I am, however, concerned about all the clear areas on the lower part of the stone (IS image) and the lack of black specs... according to some sites I've seen those features lead to a more scintillating and firey stone. Does that mean that this is 'dull'?

Fancy shapes show differently to rounds in ASET and IS, so you need to evaluate all your info with the images and photos, I think the pear looks great but we can only tell so much from images without seeing the diamond. What I would do is contact WF and express your concerns to someone who can actually see the diamond, they will be completely honest with you - you can trust them to give you an accurate description.

You are certainly not a newbie here! I never even mentioned where we were getting the stone from! You are definitely right and the person we are working with over there has been just spectacular. As always, though, it helps to get others' opinions - especially from members of a group with so much knowledge.

We were actually provided with a link to a discussion here on PS by our contact at WF! It concerns the ASET image and how to interpret it. From that thread and from our pictures there seems to be a bit more green than "ideal" but you know how that goes with a fancy. The bowtie is apparently what I thought it was in that image (dark spots). However, everything else looks great! Here's a link to the thread on the ASET... there have been a few people who have viewed/responded to this thread who are just like me and mine - not knowing much about those things so this thread should help them like it did us!

Great stuff: ASET discussion

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my experience WF is actually very honest. And add me to the list of loving that nice fat pear!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 10:55:46 AM

Date: 2/19/2009 9:40:09 AM

Yes, we love the proportions on the pear! Thanks for the thoughts so far. I have a feeling if I ask them to view the stone (arms length and everything) they will tell me it looks great, regardless - not that I don''t trust the people there but one should always be cautious.

To be honest, I don''t see the bowtie in the pictures (except for the green picture) but I also know that I''m no expert so it could be my inexperience (ignorance isn''t always bliss when you''re not ignorant later). I am, however, concerned about all the clear areas on the lower part of the stone (IS image) and the lack of black specs... according to some sites I''ve seen those features lead to a more scintillating and firey stone. Does that mean that this is ''dull''?

You are certainly not a newbie here! I never even mentioned where we were getting the stone from! You are definitely right and the person we are working with over there has been just spectacular. As always, though, it helps to get others'' opinions - especially from members of a group with so much knowledge.

We were actually provided with a link to a discussion here on PS by our contact at WF! It concerns the ASET image and how to interpret it. From that thread and from our pictures there seems to be a bit more green than ''ideal'' but you know how that goes with a fancy. The bowtie is apparently what I thought it was in that image (dark spots). However, everything else looks great! Here''s a link to the thread on the ASET... there have been a few people who have viewed/responded to this thread who are just like me and mine - not knowing much about those things so this thread should help them like it did us! Great stuff: ASET discussion
LOL! I have been around a while now!!!

That is a great thread on ASET and here is another one you might find helpful too -

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for that link - VERY informative!
34.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 3:31:41 PM
Thanks so much for that link - VERY informative!
34.gif
You are most welcome!
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lot of green in ASET is normal with pears the criteria is different than with rounds.
The regular pic shops a bit of bow tie, the ASET more and the IS less.
This indicated that at some distances it does have one but not that bad of one.
The best way to know it is a factor on the hand is an in person evaluation.
WF will give you an honest evaluation of it.

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
That''s what everyone says about WF and that''s what I''m inclined to believe, just based on my dealings with our contact there. I would love to get it in hand but it''d have to go from WF to us, then back to WF so that they can send it directly to our ring maker. I''m a little concerned with all the sending back and forth so I would like to just go with what WF says is a very good stone. I''ll have to check with my GF and if she feels the same we''ll send it sight-unseen; otherwise, we''ll have to get it on our hands (might not let it go, though!).
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep us posted on progress!

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 4:25:04 PM
Keep us posted on progress!

You know we will!

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
Sorry to bump my own post but I''ve been doing some more reading and research. One thing I''ve found is that there''s very few people who know what a pear ASET should look like. From a handful of other threads with posted ASET and IS pear images I am now a bit concerned with the amount of BLUE in the ASET as it indicates blockage. I also wonder if that exacerbates the presence of the bowtie. I''m really not sure now... I am kind of hoping Gary takes a peek and puts in his $.02 as well.

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
Well, here''s our update... we were being told that there was a bowtie but that it was "very slight" - and the stone was still very pretty. After a while we (GF and I) both decided that this was too much of an investment to just send off sight unseen to the ringmaker and that it was best to see the stone in person. I requested to have it sent to me but according to WF we only get free shipping to one destination. That means that if we wanted to view the stone then we would have to pay for shipping twice because that would mean three total shipments: from WF to us, from us back to WF, and from WF to the ringmaker. Each shipment is $65. I guess that will have to be ok if it''s our only option - $130 versus finding out later that you may or may not have actually liked the stone.

It arrived with a loupe (as requested) and we examined it over two days under lamp light, daylight, and sunlight. We did notice the bowtie, repeatedly. Naturally, we were trying to take into account that once you notice it you may tend to gravitate to it but were also trying to be fair in not trying to neglect its presence. It''s strange because in all of our other searching we never saw ASET images so we examined the stone for the usual: inclusions, etc. This stone is very clean and it seems like the inclusions were of little concern compared to the overall look of the stone. We questioned whether or not we would have noticed the bowtie without the ASET image and I would have to definitely say yes. However, it''s unclear to us if the degree to which this bowtie sticks out to us is more than the other stones we have viewed in the past - we just can''t remember. I took a whole bunch of pictures and am attaching the ones that show most what we see.

I am returning the stone to them tomorrow but have not made a decision on keeping it yet. Any thoughts from the community would be appreciated.

IMG_0730 (Medium).JPG

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
If you compare this to the ASET the dark spots from the ASET image are clearly seen.

IMG_0765 (Medium).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results