shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone please help us examine this pear?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
Here''s an image where it''s not so noticeable. All in the angle???

IMG_0757 (Medium).JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a beautiful pear, but if you aren''t sure then you are right to take some extra time to think about it.

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
Perhaps this is a strange question... but in your experience looking at a variety of pears is the bowtie that is apparent in these pictures what you might call "average" or expected (or even acceptable) for a pear or is it worse than you have seen? I think the worst thing that we could do is pass on this stone only to find every other one we look at comparable (or worse, worse!).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 11:38:23 AM
Author: SafetyFirst
Perhaps this is a strange question... but in your experience looking at a variety of pears is the bowtie that is apparent in these pictures what you might call ''average'' or expected (or even acceptable) for a pear or is it worse than you have seen? I think the worst thing that we could do is pass on this stone only to find every other one we look at comparable (or worse, worse!).
Its hard to say with bow ties, I have a 2ct pear and the bow tie isn''t very noticeable, however the diamond is cut deep. It can be seen when I tilt the diamond downwards however. This diamond has a distinct BT certainly but I think it is a very pretty pear. What I would do is ask WF how the bow tie compares to others, it can be possible to find a pear with a minimal bow tie but it can take time and patience to do so, then the question remains if you find such a pear, does it tick all your other boxes for shape etc?

This page gives more info on bow ties which might be helpful.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Shape/ShapeTips/

What you could do is ask for some more pics from WF also, that might help.

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the insightful reply. I actually still have the stone in my possession at the moment - those pictures are from my own camera. I will be talking to the good folks over at WF soon and what you said is really the key - that we need to find out how the BT compares to others. It''s a moot point to dwell on something if it''s more the rule than the exception. I think the most important thing may be making sure you''re completely comfortable with something like this before accepting it in full. If we can''t get past it now I don''t see how we could in the future.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 2:37:30 PM
Thank you for the insightful reply. I actually still have the stone in my possession at the moment - those pictures are from my own camera. I will be talking to the good folks over at WF soon and what you said is really the key - that we need to find out how the BT compares to others. It''s a moot point to dwell on something if it''s more the rule than the exception. I think the most important thing may be making sure you''re completely comfortable with something like this before accepting it in full. If we can''t get past it now I don''t see how we could in the future.
You are very welcome! With things like bow ties it is hard to know what to do....All pears will show this to a certain extent but it depends to what degree you are comfortable with. Is it possible you could view some other pears in person?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a pear (1.08) which definitly has a bow tie but my bow tie seems to reflect pretty brightly. I dont know if its
the lighting you took your pictures in but the bow tie looks very dark to me. I'm not liking that so much. I'm not
sure what makes mine do what it does vs. yours reflecting more darkly. I really love the shape of that one but
I'm not liking the darkness of the bowtie.

Did you look at the "show us your pears" thread? I know its hard to tell with pictures but you might go look
at that thread to see how your stone compares with some of those in the bow tie area.

Edit - here is the link

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-pears.27270/

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m going to try to attach a picture of my pear...hope it works...in the pic there is a small area of the bow tie
that looks dark but that is only in the picture. So...maybe it is just your pictures/lighting that made it look dark

resized_lac_pic.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another pear owner/wearer here!

In the very first picture you posted, the bow tie wasn''t apparent. However it showed pretty clearly on the images posted after and you were right to see it in person.

When it comes to bow ties you have to decide if it will annoy you or whether you don''t see it/focus on it. One of my main concerns for my pear was that I wanted one without a bow tie if possible (and they''re much more difficult to find than you might imagine). Mine is the opposite of Lorelei''s and is a shallow, long pointy pear but the bow tie is hardly noticeable. I can only second everybody else who has said you really need to see a pear in person rather than rely on photographs and images.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Mine is also long and somewhat shallow, 2.06ct. 12.12mm long x 6.67 from Whiteflash.

I don''t have any bowtie at all. I think unless you feel pressed for time, you should continue to look for a pear that does NOT have visible bowtie, as they clearly do exist. Whiteflash shouldn''t have any problem finding one
1.gif

photoluciepear206.jpg

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks so much for all the feedback. The pictures I included are the most accurate reflection (pun intended) of what we see in person. It''s rare that I can look at the stone without seeing what is readily apparent in the photos. I played with different angles, laying the stone down in a folded crease, holding it up with tweezers - all with that same result.

Tyty333, thank you so much for that link. I am going to look through it and have my GF do the same - I''m hoping it gives us a good perspective on the "field" and is exactly what we needed to help us make a decision. I am SO glad we chose to have the stone shipped to us first. WF has been very good with us on that and I can''t imagine having seen what I''ve shown you for the first time when all is said and done and it was set in a ring! The bowtie in this stone is a pretty dark ''reflection'' so it is hard to miss. It''s such a shame because the shape and clarity/color of this stone are spectacular.

Purrfectpear''s photo is exactly what we''d hope for in a bowtie (pretty much none, haha!) but I know that it is a rarity. Lovingdiamonds is right on the mark -I think it''s becoming clear that this BT is too readily noticeable to us and we can no longer ''not'' see it.
15.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's a mindclean issue, and it sounds like you might not be able to ignore it. I've seen a few gorgeous pears and ovals without bow ties and wow, I did not want to hand them back over to the jeweler, they had me riveted and in love. That you were able to send it off without knowing it was right for you, indicates to me that it wasn't right for you... you obviously wanted it to be, but it wasn't.

It happens a lot with fancies that it takes time to find the right one. I'd say keep looking and I'm wondering if one of the vendors that take videos would be helpful to you. If the vendor had three pears in with 'minimal' bowties and you got to see them side by side in a video, maybe that would help you see with your own eyes which captures your attention (in a positive way) the most. I know GOG does videos comparing stones side by side... and I know Wink does video, but I don't know if they do it the same (or similar) way that GOG does (side by side). And I *thought* (could be completely wrong) that dimend scaasi let you see the diamond 'live' via a web cam or something so maybe they could do something similar as well.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 12:53:47 AM
Author: Gypsy
I think it''s a mindclean issue, and it sounds like you might not be able to ignore it. I''ve seen a few gorgeous pears and ovals without bow ties and wow, I did not want to hand them back over to the jeweler, they had me riveted and in love. That you were able to send it off without knowing it was right for you, indicates to me that it wasn''t right for you... you obviously wanted it to be, but it wasn''t.

It happens a lot with fancies that it takes time to find the right one. I''d say keep looking and I''m wondering if one of the vendors that take videos would be helpful to you. If the vendor had three pears in with ''minimal'' bowties and you got to see them side by side in a video, maybe that would help you see with your own eyes which captures your attention (in a positive way) the most. I know GOG does videos comparing stones side by side... and I know Wink does video, but I don''t know if they do it the same (or similar) way that GOG does (side by side). And I *thought* (could be completely wrong) that dimend scaasi let you see the diamond ''live'' via a web cam or something so maybe they could do something similar as well.
I think this is the crux of the matter.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didnt want to go out on a limb and tell you to send it back but I think you made a good decision. With the next
pear pictures make sure they send you a full headon shot where you can see the bowtie. You couldnt really see it in
the picture they sent you. If you can get a video that would be great! (and will probably save time and money!)
Its harder to find a pretty pear but oh so worth it! You''ll find it...it just takes time.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I love the shape of that pear but yes, the bowtie just screams at me in those pictures.

Does WF have pears in stock or are they calling them in? If calling in, can''t they find out from their suppliers how much of a bow tie the pears shows before it''s shipped to them?

SafetyFirst

Rough_Rock
You''ve all provided such great advice and insight. The text Lorelei highlighted from Gypsy is pretty brilliant and accurate. I think we had a feeling all along from the moment we first saw the stone and the return was inevitable. It is very re-assuring to hear you all say there will be a ''right'' stone out there but that it may take more time.

Tyty, I really appreciate your candor in your most recent post. Don''t forget that people like me came to the PS forums for advice from everyone. It''s ok to share your opinion - especially if it can help someone make a decision. I think the difference is that we didn''t own the stone yet and were still making a decision - and the best one to make is an informed one :).

Chris, WF had to actually bring this stone in from overseas. There was an indication of the presence of a bowtie from the beginning but, as you know, this is not rare for any pear. The question was was how much of a bowtie did it have. Unfortunately, this supplier does not provide pictures so the stone had to be shipped in. Even when it arrived WF reps said that it (the bowtie) wasn''t bad. Although I know this is always a matter of opinion I am still a bit disappointed. Thank goodness we ultimately decided to see the stone in person! It was a little like gambling and I''m glad we were cautious. The couple of hundred spent on shipping back and forth was a price to pay, but a minor one when you think of the alternative. It''s a very important lesson to be wary of proceeding sight unseen.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 1:46:03 PM
You''ve all provided such great advice and insight. The text Lorelei highlighted from Gypsy is pretty brilliant and accurate. I think we had a feeling all along from the moment we first saw the stone and the return was inevitable. It is very re-assuring to hear you all say there will be a ''right'' stone out there but that it may take more time.

Tyty, I really appreciate your candor in your most recent post. Don''t forget that people like me came to the PS forums for advice from everyone. It''s ok to share your opinion - especially if it can help someone make a decision. I think the difference is that we didn''t own the stone yet and were still making a decision - and the best one to make is an informed one :).

Chris, WF had to actually bring this stone in from overseas. There was an indication of the presence of a bowtie from the beginning but, as you know, this is not rare for any pear. The question was was how much of a bowtie did it have. Unfortunately, this supplier does not provide pictures so the stone had to be shipped in. Even when it arrived WF reps said that it (the bowtie) wasn''t bad. Although I know this is always a matter of opinion I am still a bit disappointed. Thank goodness we ultimately decided to see the stone in person! It was a little like gambling and I''m glad we were cautious. The couple of hundred spent on shipping back and forth was a price to pay, but a minor one when you think of the alternative. It''s a very important lesson to be wary of proceeding sight unseen.
Comments noted for future reference...I just hate to be the bearer of bad news sometimes and some of this
stuff is so subjective. Something that bothers me may not bother you...but in the future when it comes to
helping someone buy a gorgeous stone vs a stone that is just ok...I will speak up! Assertivness Training 101
here I come
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results